• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Volimar

9DAF42AAE71F2A441C85A0F6C734819EC16C509B

So I was able to get frost to appear on my ship by just shutting everything off except sensors and life support and waiting for the ship to cool down.

But this begs the question, how is the frost even forming outside the ship? Inside the ship makes sense since residual body heat + life support atmosphere could create enough condensation for frost to form.

However, the frost looks like it is on the outside. Which makes me kinda confused lmao.

Vapor from your fuel exhaust caught in the microgravity of your ship and forming frost on your cold surface. Normally your ship creates too much heat for the frost to form. - Pulled from my ass explanation.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Vapor from your fuel exhaust caught in the microgravity of your ship and forming frost on your cold surface. Normally your ship creates too much heat for the frost to form. - Pulled from my ass explanation.

Works for me!

Vulture Shmulture. Courier is where it's at. :p

Yeah I detest the vulture because it's one of those very obvious "this is the thing you pick if you care more about winning than fun" kind of deals. Besides I can out fly most of them heheh.

jiiikoo

Banned
Aww yeah! It's so much fun to fly! Easily my favorite ship for bounty hunting.

The vulture might be better but it's a hell of a lot more boring.

Ooh, where can I buy it? I think I got the money for it, if not, I'll be doing a few missions to get it. That looks so pretty! Btw, how did you get the colors of the cockpit like that? The orange is so boring :(

Grief.exe

Ooh, where can I buy it? I think I got the money for it, if not, I'll be doing a few missions to get it. That looks so pretty! Btw, how did you get the colors of the cockpit like that? The orange is so boring :(

You have to grind empire rep

Edit: use the tool posted below for adjusting your hud. I googled Hud configurations and there are threads on imgur, Reddit, etc with good huds.

Grief.exe

I'm not against instant ship transfer, but it would make the Galaxy feel quite small.

Also making explorer ships a bit irrelevant.

You still need to get to the location you are planning on transferring.

If you're going to make a long trip, you are going to pull out your Explorer ship.

joecanada

You still need to get to the location you are planning on transferring.

If you're going to make a long trip, you are going to pull out your Explorer ship.

yeah it doesn't take you with it lol.... so you need to make the initial trip which you would want to do in an explorer.

I see it as more you brought your explorer but want your fighter there too. problem is if they make it too expensive or slow, I will just buy a new one. time is money aint got no time for b.s.

think about it. if the transfer took 5 hours or something, I could buy a new ship and make that money back and more and then sell it. even if I bought a vulture and outfitted it for some bounty hunting I could make back the 2 million (or less) in lost purchase easily over a few hours / days at my new location.

so really if they make it too expensive or long, its pointless.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah I detest the vulture because it's one of those very obvious "this is the thing you pick if you care more about winning than fun" kind of deals.

Eh, while the Courier is an awesome ship, let’s not denigrate the incredible combat vessel called the Vulture. Vultures freakin rock. It’s not good for anything else, but for combat it’s like a finely tuned destruction machine.

StonedRider

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/286967-IMPORTANT-OFFICIAL-SHIP-TRANSFER-POLL

Official poll for Instant vs Delayed ship transfer. I trust you all will make the right choice! >:|

If I have to wait around for some arbitrary time period for a ship transfer because it's going to ruin someone else's selective immersion requirements, I'll be fucking pissed.

We made the right choice. But the problem is Frontier position about ship transfer:
Unless there is a significant, majority vote against ship transfer delivery times, along with a high turnout, we will likely be moving towards implementing plausible delays into ship and module transfer, though such a change may affect when the features comes online.

joecanada

Eh, while the Courier is an awesome ship, let’s not denigrate the incredible combat vessel called the Vulture. Vultures freakin rock. It’s not good for anything else, but for combat it’s like a finely tuned destruction machine.

If I just want to run around blasting stuff should I stick with vulture or is FDL worth the money?

otherwise I may just grab a python for more trading.

Also how are the federation gunships?

I mean anything over a vulture seems to be overkill for bounty hunting but hey , if you can have more big pew pew guns, why not?

edit - community goals:

I guess this summarizes stuff I still don't know about the game. how do you get the military intelligence for cg? and blueprints? are these also the same as the things you collect for engineers?

How do combat bonds work? do you just shoot wanted people or do you have to pick up a specific order?

its weird sometimes this game, I have all the usual apps and websites but none of them do a very good job of explaining this stuff at all. there's nowhere I've seen where you can just read exactly where to go and what to do in a step by step guide.

Mengy

So I'm about 2700ly away from Sol now

Cool. I’m about 7000 lys out from the bubble right now, “quickly” making my way back from Jacques Station. With my modded Asp I can jump about 3000 lys/hr if I really focus on it. It’s nice when the sky starts to look familiar in the distance, the stars are so much less dense back this close to civilization.

Cool. I’m about 7000 lys out from the bubble right now, “quickly” making my way back from Jacques Station. With my modded Asp I can jump about 3000 lys/hr if I really focus on it. It’s nice when the sky starts to look familiar in the distance, the stars are so much less dense back this close to civilization.

I'm loving how things are getting more cloudy as I get closer. Never gone this far out from civilization before. :)

My man. Love my fugly Vulture, so fun, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of the ship sounds it makes. Beastly.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Oh absolutely, the vulture rips everything it touches to pieces because it's like a heavily armored eagle with two large hard points.

It's easily the most deadly pure fighters out there, but only having two hard points makes it less interesting to flght in.

To me it is just less satisfying to move around in a vulture than in the courier. Regardless the vulture is usually the superior ship.

Edit: https://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/2patfFalddksif37l7l000m0404B22b272j69.Iw19kA==.CwBhrEEYYJhqZjCA

this was the vulture I was flying, perhaps I was doing something wrong?

Burny

I'm not against instant ship transfer, but it would make the Galaxy feel quite small.

Also making explorer ships a bit irrelevant.

BS. You can transfer only to your location. Guess how you'll get there? If that location is 200ly away, the answer is not your trusty slow ass murder boat.

If I have to wait around for some arbitrary time period for a ship transfer because it's going to ruin someone else's selective immersion requirements, I'll be fucking pissed.

Tell me about it.

If they produced a bug that would with a random chance delete your pilot profile after ship destruction, I wouldn't be surprised if people in the Elite community hailed it as immersive game design instead of calling it out as poor testing and releasing unfinished updates. People calling Frontier out? Instant gratification CoD kiddies.

Reckheim

Someone had a decent idea over at Reddit.

You pick how much you want to pay, and the game tells you how long it's going to take. Instant transfer costs 100% of the transfer cost, while free transfer would take more than two hours.

vector824

You pick how much you want to pay, and the game tells you how long it's going to take. Instant transfer costs 100% of the transfer cost, while free transfer would take more than two hours.

I agree with this completely, like Amazon Prime! You want it now? Pay up. You want "immersion"? Don't pay.

Pomerlaw

BS. You can transfer only to your location. Guess how you'll get there? If that location is 200ly away, the answer is not your trusty slow ass murder boat.

You use your explorer to get there quickly, then you instant-teleport your trusty slow ass murder boat. Or you just buy a Type-6, Hauler or DBE, strip it naked, and fit the best FSD on it to get there, then teleport your combat fleet.

I see how some people could find this problematic. I don't share this opinion, but they do have a point.

I'm kinda indifferent about instant vs delayed transfer. I think delayed would be fine if it were designed well and--ah, yes, now I understand the concern.

E-flux

How the hell does power play work? I want to get the missile launcher that's unique to that one power but I don't want to waste time in the game figuring how to properly gain merits..

Mengy

That's actually an incredibly fantastic idea. Brilliant honestly.

Oh absolutely, the vulture rips everything it touches to pieces because it's like a heavily armored eagle with two large hard points.

It's easily the most deadly pure fighters out there, but only having two hard points makes it less interesting to flght in.

To me it is just less satisfying to move around in a vulture than in the courier. Regardless the vulture is usually the superior ship.

Edit: https://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/2patfFalddksif37l7l000m0404B22b272j69.Iw19kA==.CwBhrEEYYJhqZjCA

this was the vulture I was flying, perhaps I was doing something wrong?
And the Federal Assault Ship is a Vulture on steroids :D With four hardpoints that is

StonedRider

Shocking news: FD continues to make shitty design decisions. Loud idiots on official forums continue to be the worst.

That's FD - one step forward, two steps back. I hope we will get majority of voices for instant transfer.

So, can you do the CGs on both sides or you get shot down by the opposing faction as soon as you start delivering for one?

I think you can, before you choose the faction in Combat Zone nobody will shoot at you. You can choose different faction every time and collect combat bonds for both factions.

I've just collected 1.2 mil combat bonds for Federation and jumped into top 10 commanders in CG. But it has no reached tier 1 yet.

I like the idea!

Reckheim

That's actually an incredibly fantastic idea. Brilliant honestly.

The good thing is its the top rated comment in the pool thread at Reddit and it seems like Frontier seems to be paying a lot of attention as to what that particular community thinks.

Repo Man

So I think I'm ready to dive back into Elite properly and hit Horizons.

I take it that if I was to buy the Horizons Season Pass for £19.99 from the Frontier shop then thats it, I got access to all of the upcoming updates and content thus far ?

PS. This has to be my game of the decade! Trying to land your ship after a few drinks is a truly comical experience. The sheer comedy of overshooting the landing pad and then slowly reversing, telling yourself "steady... steady..." only to mess it up again. This should be a used as teaching material for drunk drivers.

Reckheim

So I think I'm ready to dive back into Elite properly and hit Horizons.

I take it that if I was to buy the Horizons Season Pass for £19.99 from the Frontier shop then thats it, I got access to all of the upcoming updates and content thus far ?

PS. This has to be my game of the decade! Trying to land your ship after a few drinks is a truly comical experience. The sheer comedy of overshooting the landing pad and then slowly reversing, telling yourself "steady... steady..." only to mess it up again. This should be a used as teaching material for drunk drivers.

If you already have the original Elite Dangerous then yes Horizons will give you everything that has been released so far and everything that will be coming in season 2.

Was doing good ranking up with CZ missions, log in today and system is no longer at war. SMH, there is no peace prize in space get me more CZ missions.

SmartBase

I'm going to start singing along to shanties and drink copious amounts of rum on my way back to the bubble.
I pray to the gods that I don't ever set out exploring again.

DrBo42

You use your explorer to get there quickly, then you instant-teleport your trusty slow ass murder boat. Or you just buy a Type-6, Hauler or DBE, strip it naked, and fit the best FSD on it to get there, then teleport your combat fleet.

I see how some people could find this problematic. I don't share this opinion, but they do have a point.
This is the most fascinating part to me. The community is screaming about instantly transporting a combat fleet but 90% of the people on the forums play in solo or private groups. These are the same people screaming the game shouldn't have guilds or player/guild ownership of systems or stations while they play a single player game. Worthless opinions.

Volimar

I'm going to end up losing money on these CGs. Keep getting blown up. Wish I could find those documents to turn in. By the look of the progress bar, no one else seems to be having much luck with those either.

Top Bottom