• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I was looking at pack hounds and how hilarious they are and it got me thinking, are missiles good? They seem to have very low ammo capacity making them kinda annoying to carry for bounty hunting or haz res roaming.

I was thinking it would be fun to fit missile racks on my courier but they seem kinda ineffective.

Pomerlaw

So I was looking at pack hounds and how hilarious they are and it got me thinking, are missiles good? They seem to have very low ammo capacity making them kinda annoying to carry for bounty hunting or haz res roaming.

I was thinking it would be fun to fit missile racks on my courier but they seem kinda ineffective.

They are much better than they were in 2.0. I like them now, I always have 2 racks of seekers on my small ships (Viper & Cobra).

Grief.exe

I was watching this hilarious Asp build where you just load it up with dumbfire missile racks and kill targets before they have a chance to respond.

There seems to be a cost/benefit issue though, but still looks fun.

This design of this ship is so good.

BxHaitW.jpg

zorbsie

Crashed my Anaconda on a planet while I was out exploring. I don't know how many systems I had scanned before, but it was in the double digits for sure. 12 million rebuy. The thing I hated the most was that I was instantly warped to my last station 3000ly away. Ruined the immersion, had to quit playing. Maybe they'll make a poll to add a delay to respawns.

Ruined the immersion, had to quit playing. Maybe they'll make a poll to add a delay to respawns.
Lmao. Exactly.

They need to add a feature that you end up ejecting in a capsule when your ship blows up and you have to thruster back to the nearest civilized system, which could take anywhere from a few days to several decades.

Or if you blow up on a planet, you get to play the rest of the game as Robinson Crusoe. But since the game doesn't have true realism and doesn't force you to have to drink and eat, then I dunno if I'll keep playing. So unrealistic.

Grief.exe

Mother of god

Crashed my Anaconda on a planet while I was out exploring. I don't know how many systems I had scanned before, but it was in the double digits for sure. 12 million rebuy. The thing I hated the most was that I was instantly warped to my last station 3000ly away. Ruined the immersion, had to quit playing. Maybe they'll make a poll to add a delay to respawns.

It is funny where people draw the line. When I die, I'm instantly spawned at my last station, but ship transfers need a delay.

I had a mission to destroy generators on an outpost on a planet. When I got to the outpost I see this just chilling there

O2GKJhy.jpg
[/IMG]

Trying to escape it in the SRV was fun lol

zorbsie

That looks incredible. I feel like I backed the wrong faction. I'm getting close to unlocking the Federal Corvette. Doesn't look half as good though. :(

I had a mission to destroy generators on an outpost on a planet. When I got to the outpost I see this just chilling there

Trying to escape it in the SRV was fun lol
Usually it's just an Asp, which is still dangerous. This just seems overkill, in a good way.

Jedi2016

Did the game get really twitchy while I was away? I've had two crashes in station menus since I got back yesterday, usually immediately or shortly after exiting Universal Cartographics.

Also turns out there's been some problem with the game's "city lights" texture on my hard drive, no idea for how long. So once I got back into the bubble, the game would crash every time I tried to open the system map of any system with an inhabited Earth-like. Probably would have crashed if I got close enough to any of the planets to get it to try to load that texture. Even my first attempt to revalidate/update files from the launcher failed, I had to run it twice.

On the flip side, I did level Farseer to Rank 5 in about two minutes.. lol.

Right now I'm in my FDL trying to grind out a Sirius permit so I can unlock Qwent so I can unlock Palin. And still carrying a huge chunk of exploration data, which rules out the more risky activities.

Speaking of, is there any simple way of telling how much exploration data I'm carrying? I've heard you can level Sirius Corporation pretty easily by selling about 7M worth of data at a Sirius-controlled system, but I want to make sure I have enough left over to level up both Martuk and Palin.

So Obsidian Ant mentioned in a recent video that ship transfer may not actually make 2.2 because of the potential delay mechanic? Is there another source for this?

If only the jump range wasnt so bad :(

Hmmmm I might give 2 racks of seekers a shot on my courier, I'm guessing they only actually do significant damage when the shields go down lol.
Indeed! I fear them now! Am flying around in my Conda and when my shields are down, those guys are coming after me from all sides all the time. Too bad the Conda is not able to run away lol. Nearly lost her twice today. 3% and 17%. Need to try to switch my lvl 1 hardpoints to turrets I guess.

So Obsidian Ant mentioned in a recent video that ship transfer may not actually make 2.2 because of the potential delay mechanic? Is there another source for this?

it's just what Sandro wrote in the poll text isn't it

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/286967-IMPORTANT-OFFICIAL-SHIP-TRANSFER-POLL

"We’ll run the poll until Monday next week. *Unless there is a significant, majority vote against ship transfer delivery times, along with a high turnout*, we will likely be moving towards implementing plausible delays into ship and module transfer, though such a change may affect when the features comes online."

Volimar

I can't quite make it to Rigel yet. Some day.

If only the jump range wasnt so bad :(

Indeed! I fear them now! Am flying around in my Conda and when my shields are down, those guys are coming after me from all sides all the time. Too bad the Conda is not able to run away lol. Nearly lost her twice today. 3% and 17%. Need to try to switch my lvl 1 hardpoints to turrets I guess.

Have you thought about point defense? I have one on my aspX and it really saves your bacon now and then.

Have you thought about point defense? I have one on my aspX and it really saves your bacon now and then.
This only helps if it's one or two missiles getting your way. When it gets messy it's more like 6+ missiles flying. So, to answer this, yes they are there and firing constantly :D Chaff helps a bit as well.

BTW: I hate that the missiles are the highest threat. I cannot select the ship firing them when there are some :(

Twinduct

Doing the Wu Nugani loop. Honestly some of these missions they send out like two FDLs after you. 2 times I've now reached the station on 1%. Seriously every time I heard 'Malfunction' using anything my heart stopped.

Volimar

Doing the Wu Nugani loop. Honestly some of these missions they send out like two FDLs after you. 2 times I've now reached the station on 1%. Seriously every time I heard 'Malfunction' using anything my heart stopped.

Or when your canopy is breached and you get interdicted while on emergency oxygen.

Sibylus

Banned

I was interdicted for the first time by an FDL yesterday running the loop. Panicked and tried turning instead of just booking it straight forward. I was shredded in my AspX. The second time around I got away without so much as a single ring of shields going down.

Panic kills.

I was interdicted for the first time by an FDL yesterday running the loop. Panicked and tried turning instead of just booking it straight forward. I was shredded in my AspX. The second time around I got away without so much as a single ring of shields going down.
Worst enemies are those who are following you and keep on interdicting until you reach the desired station. I always turn there, shoot them and get into no fire zone for them to get shredded :D

Twinduct

Or when your canopy is breached and you get interdicted while on emergency oxygen.

I was surprised I still had my canopy at 2%

Panic kills.

Man I've been submitting all day. Break out and speed away. This FDL though, I hardly got out of the warp and this guy has taken away 10% of my hull (shield down within a second). I sped towards him, hoping the turn around would be enough to shake him, but he just slowly ate away. I got by with the hair on my chin. He didn't give up and after the second attempt I just straight up jumped to a new system.

So I stopped playing prior to Horizon's dropping and only just upgraded to a Cobra when I did. Should I still be looking to just hunt bounties around nav points if I want to get back into playing it?

Sibylus

Banned
I was surprised I still had my canopy at 2%

Man I've been submitting all day. Break out and speed away. This FDL though, I hardly got out of the warp and this guy has taken away 10% of my hull (shield down within a second). I sped towards him, hoping the turn around would be enough to shake him, but he just slowly ate away. I got by with the hair on my chin. He didn't give up and after the second attempt I just straight up jumped to a new system.

I submit too, but I burned valuable seconds trying to find my target in my target list and spinning around to orient to it. FDL closed the gap and blew out my shields in one ideal volley.

I learned a valuable lesson.

Grief.exe

So I stopped playing prior to Horizon's dropping and only just upgraded to a Cobra when I did. Should I still be looking to just hunt bounties around nav points if I want to get back into playing it?

There's actually this cool thread on Reddit with how to make the most money.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteTraders/comments/4krpe0/

If you can upgrade to an Asp Explorer, I think the best option is to do Sothis/Ceos runs into a Python. Which then gives you enough cargo to be able to amass tons of money trading and participating in Community Goals. The cargo and jump capabilities of the cobra aren't enough to justify this in my opinion.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
There's actually this cool thread on Reddit with how to make the most money.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteTraders/comments/4krpe0/

If you can upgrade to an Asp Explorer, I think the best option is to do Sothis/Ceos runs into a Python. Which then gives you enough cargo to be able to amass tons of money trading and participating in Community Goals. The cargo and jump capabilities of the cobra aren't enough to justify this in my opinion.

I'm in the middle of a Sothis run in my AspX which should net me over 3 million.

Awesome

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That's really bad actually, my first Sothis run got me well over 16 million.

Eh, still doubling my money. I should have stacked it. My cargo hold is only 40 too. Need to find another size 32 bay if that's possible?

Edit: Yeah your right about the stacking. When you stack do you have to switch modes again to claim the reward?

Grief.exe

joecanada

Panic kills.

Ya I was doing a Sothis run and I had the old sticks lock during hyperspace so was overheating on a sun when of course I was interdicted ... With my 20 million dollars in cargo and my first conda cost of 4 million insurance. So I'm panicking there and then pull up and it's an asp .. by now I'm so pissed I just turn back overheating and all and I'm thinking no way your interdicting me for the rest of this trip.... It wasn't really a fair fight but it was intense for me. Was clenching the entire time. Failure would have just crushed me mostly due to that stupid conda 15 ly jump range. Trip was like 30 jumps.

Tldr - always boost out of interdiction don't do what I did. Let my anger flow through me

Volimar

That's really bad actually, my first Sothis run got me well over 16 million.

Try to stack as many missions around 10 units of cargo as possible, that seems to maximize the return.

This. I'm getting pissed atm because Ceos and Sothis keep trying to load me down with huge cargo loads that don't maximize my profit.

Oh, and don't forget to top off any remaining space in your hold with the Sothis Crystalline Gold from the market. You make a nice profit off selling it at your 4-500 ly away destination.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
That moment when you have the fight of your life vs a deadly rated opponent and you only get 31k in bounties when you finally kill him and are forced to limp back to the station completely spent.

Jedi2016

I've only gotten in two fights since I got back to the bubble yesterday. The first was at a Nav Beacon, which I stopped to scan since my FDL doesn't have a discovery scanner. Quite a few pirates, and one of them made the snide remark "How do you fools make a living?"

So I showed him by tearing his Clipper to shreds. I'm not even sure he got any shots off.

The second one was, so far, my first and only interdiction since I've been back, also in my FDL. As he's interdicting me, he says "Prepare yourself!!" on the comms, and I mutter to myself "You should do the same...". There were actually three of them, all Eagles, and one of them pretty nimble, able to keep me from getting a bead on him. Between the three of them, they actually managed to somewhat degrade one ring of my shields, which I thought was pretty impressive given the firepower on an Eagle. I think I managed to save the leader for last, and he lasted about four seconds once I had him dead ahead with nowhere to go.

My FDL's going to be frightening once I actually start putting some upgrades on it. I'm still concentrating on unlocking engineers and getting the FSD on my Asp fully upgraded.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Well I decided to give the vulture another shot for Haz RES bounty hunting, now that I can afford to A rate it this ship is actually a lot more fun than I gave it credit for.

I fit bi-weaves as a decent alternative to not being able to fit a shield cell. So I can use my ridiculous maneuverability to just kite around until my shields recharge. Since I fit two multicannons I can basically keep my pips eternally at 4-0-2 to my the shields ridiculously tanky. The funniest thing by far is even if they make it through my shields then they have to chew through 1100 armor, by then with a mix of chaff and boosting I can get my shields to come back up before my armor even drops to 95%.

Don't even get me started on how ridiculous twin large multicannons feel. It's a shame that I don't have a method to break shields down that's more ammo efficient so I can stay in RES sites longer. But my god, once the shields go down on anything their hull gets shredded in seconds.

This is actually a super fun ship and I'm probably gonna fly it for a while to try and get my combat rating up.

Volimar

I seriously think there's a bug with the AI regarding stations. Aside from my autodock issue, I keep seeing blown up ship pieces and ships shooting inside the station.

Top Bottom