• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
@Mengy: I'm sorry but logging out of a game to do something else while you wait should not be a selling point of a feature for any game ever. That should be the exact opposite of what anyone wants to do. Features should make you want to play the game more, not less.

Yep, I agree 100%, that's why I voted for instant. I'm just not as upset over the outcome as others, I mean right now we have NO transfers, so it is still better than nothing. But yeah, instant was preferable, I agree.

Dear Mengy,

Courier is love. Courier is life.

Also, after rolling my 16th Grade 5 multicannon, I feel like I need to do a material-gathering AMA.

Yep, I agree 100%, that's why I voted for instant. I'm just not as upset over the outcome as others, I mean right now we have NO transfers, so it is still better than nothing. But yeah, instant was preferable, I agree.

Agreed. Still, better than nothing I guess.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
On a more positive note, I finally got Master Rank in the Empire and immediately proceeded to buy myself an Imperial Courier!!!!

Aw yeah! Welcome to the courier club, the ship is seriously addictive to fly. It handles like no ones business,some mean fire power and some ridiculously potent shields for its size. It's also super versatile I love it.

No matter what ships I try I keep coming back to my courier.

Speaking of which, on a side / semi related note, I recently gave an Imp Eagle a spin but moments later I was like "this is cool and all but I can do this better on my courier"

Burny

I know that they've had some decisions not go over well in the past and then corrected them later on, but the fact that this was changed before we even got to see what would result from it is the biggest mistake they've made in my opinion. Let your plan for something fail on its own and then correct it. Don't give in to community pressure just because you want to make people happy. This may end up setting a really bad precedent when it comes to future updates.

Yes, this is a precedent, unfortunately. And it gets bad in the fanatasy space ship game area, because the next comparable game is stuck in a perpetual (pre) alpha of selling expensive dreams and doesn't look like it'll be the bee's knees out of the gate, if it ever leaves that sorry state. Otherwise a real competent competitor would put pressure on E:D, but Frontier currently fills the void of direct control space ship MMOs more or less alone.

My theory is that they're just plain incompetent in game design. 8-12 hours of material gathering for a dice roll and a chance of a module downgrade? People also complained there and rightfully so. But the fact that update 2.1 even got released with such a game loop and they had to be told by players that this wasn't exactly respectful to their players' time is pitiful. So they rely on feedback, as they don't seem to get things right even if just by talking about the abstract game loop anybody ought to be able to smell the poor game design from miles away. Unfortunately, this is largely also feedback of people who think a 5-100 minute counter for what amounts to inventory management in the human is fine.

Really. It's time some competent competitor released, put pressure on them and demonstrated a bit of good game design, be it SC or anything else. Unless the big publishers have something in the works however, I fear Elite will remain pretty alone in filling the sandbox space game MMO niche for the foreseeable future.

And I'm still holding out to make a longwinded post calling out their game design capabilities, as that would invariably result in a whole lot of mud being thrown, the usual defence force coming out etc.. (or maybe I'm just plain wrong and they're terrific game designers? :p )

SmartBase

The game's lead designer had the same role for Haze, what do you people expect? I've been looking at reducing my playtime anyway, having to wait for ships to transfer is just the beginning. If only they would add delays to outfitting, repairs, engineering, restocking and cargo transfers I could almost play as little as I would something like EVE.

Burny

The game's lead designer had the same role for Haze, what do you people expect?

I have half a mind to make a reddit post and ask them to exchange the lead designers with people who have actually designed successful and well received games.

But that's a personal attack and an absolute no-go (we don't know how much of a hand if any the guy had in any particular design for starters), even if my stomach feeling tells me that it very much needs some new blood in their design department in order to shift the game's design focus from basement dwellers in mancaves with too much time at their hand or <beverage of choice> to drink while waiting for an ingame item transfer to people who like to play games, rather than wait for them.

Who knows. If they make a faux pas with the 2.2 update like the excessive RNGineer grind in 2.1, I might complain again. At the moment I don't get to play the game anyway, but with all their design prowess they're on a track to make sure I'm not exactly racing back into the game if the time allows it again.

I bought a cheap DK2 Rift from a friend, I've been playing 99% Elite with it for the last week and I'm really torn. On the other hand, the technology isn't quite there - it's blurry, awkward with glasses, loses a lot of the beautiful detail and so on - but on the other hand, the immersion and sense of scale is just amazing. The next generation of VR has the potential to be stupendously good with games like these. Right now it's only so good that I wish it would be better. Maybe I'll try to order some cheap prescription lenses that I could rig behind the DK2 lenses for a bit of improvement.

elyetis

Fuck that. What's the point QOL patch if you put things in place so that it doesn't actually improve anything.

Not that the result is even surprising given which demography is more likely to know about the poll, and how the devs themself saying what they would do is likely to make people simply side with them.
I bought a cheap DK2 Rift from a friend, I've been playing 99% Elite with it for the last week and I'm really torn. On the other hand, the technology isn't quite there - it's blurry, awkward with glasses, loses a lot of the beautiful detail and so on - but on the other hand, the immersion and sense of scale is just amazing. The next generation of VR has the potential to be stupendously good with games like these. Right now it's only so good that I wish it would be better. Maybe I'll try to order some cheap prescription lenses that I could rig behind the DK2 lenses for a bit of improvement.
Next gen from DK2 is already here ( Vive and oculus CV1 ), the improved resolution is not negligible. Not that there isn't still a huge room for improvement ( fov, resolution.. ).

Next gen from DK2 is already here ( Vive and oculus CV1 ), the improved resolution is not negligible.

Right, I guess that already helps. I don't think I'm willing to spend that much right now though - I'll just get whatever fun I can from this cheap-ass thing before it breaks. :)

derFeef

I feel like most of the Elite-forum userbase has voted delivery times, while most of us (would) have voted isntant transfer.

Widge

Enthusiasts often have a skewed perception of what they want. So you'll get some hardcore people who will play Fallout 4 on nothing but survive, carrying only what is deemed realistic array of weapons and clothing, killing and cooking all food.

Which is great. It gives them much joy to immerse in a role like that.

Unfortunately it also provides a totally sucky experience for other people who, to put it plainly, "just want to play a game".

I haven't played this enough to know about the impact of ship transfers but hopefully whatever implement isn't terrible and won't negatively impact on people's playtime.

JambiBum

Yes, this is a precedent, unfortunately. And it gets bad in the fanatasy space ship game area, because the next comparable game is stuck in a perpetual (pre) alpha of selling expensive dreams and doesn't look like it'll be the bee's knees out of the gate, if it ever leaves that sorry state. Otherwise a real competent competitor would put pressure on E:D, but Frontier currently fills the void of direct control space ship MMOs more or less alone.

My theory is that they're just plain incompetent in game design. 8-12 hours of material gathering for a dice roll and a chance of a module downgrade? People also complained there and rightfully so. But the fact that update 2.1 even got released with such a game loop and they had to be told by players that this wasn't exactly respectful to their players' time is pitiful. So they rely on feedback, as they don't seem to get things right even if just by talking about the abstract game loop anybody ought to be able to smell the poor game design from miles away. Unfortunately, this is largely also feedback of people who think a 5-100 minute counter for what amounts to inventory management in the human is fine.

Really. It's time some competent competitor released, put pressure on them and demonstrated a bit of good game design, be it SC or anything else. Unless the big publishers have something in the works however, I fear Elite will remain pretty alone in filling the sandbox space game MMO niche for the foreseeable future.

And I'm still holding out to make a longwinded post calling out their game design capabilities, as that would invariably result in a whole lot of mud being thrown, the usual defence force coming out etc.. (or maybe I'm just plain wrong and they're terrific game designers? :p )

I don't feel like you do. I don't think that they are incompetent at all. If they were then the core gameplay wouldn't be as fun as it is now. It would be a shit show and no one would be playing. Do they make some head scratching decisions at times? Of course they do, but that doesn't mean that they are incompetent.

Every developer makes bad decisions when it comes to their games sometimes. It happens. I also have don't have any real problems with 2.1 as it stands now. When it first released they had issues with the materials needed and they fixed that. 2.1 is actually what I wish they would have done with 2.2. Release what they wanted to into beta and let the players see how things go. That's what the beta periods are for anyway.

I haven't had any real issues with the RNG aspect of it at all. I can see why people would want to get the exact stats they want but by the time you get to rank 5 you get pretty good rolls every time anyway.

My problem comes with the fact that they backed down from a decision they made and then turned around and let the community decide on what should happen. What's to say that next time part of the community doesn't like something they don't demand that FDev makes another poll to make the decision for them. If they would have released it into beta and then people had issues with it based on the gameplay it provided I'd have no problems right now. Unfortunately that's what happened and now I'm afraid that the next time they announce something the same thing will happen.

Current standings. Slowly working on that Triple Elite achievement.

Nn97eH3.jpg

Burny

I don't feel like you do. I don't think that they are incompetent at all. If they were then the core gameplay wouldn't be as fun as it is now. It would be a shit show and no one would be playing. Do they make some head scratching decisions at times? Of course they do, but that doesn't mean that they are incompetent.

Eh, looking at powerplay, looking at beatifully designed things like the late donation grind (sitting in a menu for some 8-12 realtime hours for efficiently ranking up), looking at interdiction harassment, looking at the initial Engineer grind (RNG outcomes have been biased towards positive outcomes since after much complaining), and now looking at the bumbling about with the ship transfer design...

Really, the only conclusion to which I can come is that they are pretty incompetent in terms of game design beyond the absolute core travel and combat mechanics. At which they excel, obviously (edit: excluding the inter system travel design, which I find to be a sleep inducing "hit J and watch loading screen"-loop, which is a result of the game world and reason why there's need for robust ship transfer in the first place), but which only constitutes the core mechanics on top of which all the meta mechanics have to be build. The game loop. The one thing where the game design starts to really matter.

Which is where they have failed spectacularily and repeatedly.

I tend to attribute a number of things to the game's unfinished state, which is entirely excusable. There's only so much they can achieve in two or three years with their team size and budget. But then there are the mind boggling things:

Donation grind. I get it, military rank progression today is a placeholder. But configuring donation missions to be worth more "faction experience" than any other, vastly more time consuming mission, is inexcusable if you ask me. Whoever designed that, doesn't seem to get that player time is a resource that is vastly more valuable than ingame credits (which can also be achieved in exchange for player time). They're responsible for how people spend their playtime after all. And it takes a very special kind of person to do the donation grind. It's not the kind of person which looks for good game design I presume.

Then there are things like spawn tables in RES. I don't know if this has been improved, but the last thing anybody who values their time would do in a high intensity RES, would be accepting that they got the short end of the RNG stick. Once people understand how it works, they re-instantiate the RES until they get decent spawns. The underlying meta then is "re-rolling until you get something worthwhile". Fuck all if there's somebody out there blinded enough to call this good game design. That's amateur hour. I would argue that a good game designer would refrain from using RNG wherever possible and even when using it for more randomized effect, would take care to design every outcome in a way that something worthwhile for the player is the outcome. Something people at Frontier don't really seem to understand or seem to not agree with. As they've impressivley demonstrated with the RNGineers debacle.

For me, the last part would be key here. RNG? Sure, but make the outcomes roughly equally valuable. RNG based AI spawns in RES? Sure, but make all spawns interesting and worthwhile. RNG based engineer effects? Sure, but make sure people don't get a kick in the balls for their 8 hours of material collection by giving them a plain downgrade. Not the effect they wanted? Make it sellable and valuable, so they get something out of it.

For me, the last part would be key here. RNG? Sure, but make the outcomes roughly equally valuable. RNG based AI spawns in RES? Sure, but make all spawns interesting and worthwhile. RNG based engineer effects? Sure, but make sure people don't get a kick in the balls for their 8 hours of material collection by giving them a plain downgrade. Not the effect they wanted? Make it sellable and valuable, so they get something out of it.
This. This right here. Yes.

Mengy

No matter what ships I try I keep coming back to my courier.

Speaking of which, on a side / semi related note, I recently gave an Imp Eagle a spin but moments later I was like "this is cool and all but I can do this better on my courier"

Yeah I have an Imperial Eagle too, but after flying the Courier I’m wondering if I’ll ever get it out again? The I-eagle seems a hair faster, but both seem to maneuver similarly, and the Courier can fit so much more into its internals that I just don’t see a place for the I-eagle anymore. I feel like the Courier is more fun to fly though.

Really, the only conclusion to which I can come is that they don't know much about game design beyond the absolute core travel and combat mechanics. At which they excel, obviously, but which only makes the core framework on top of which all the meta mechanics have to be build. The game loop. Which is where they have failed spectacularily and repeatedly.

I tend to attribute a number of things to the game's unfinished state, which is entirely excusable. There's only so much they can achieve in two or three years with their team size and budget.

FDev has truly nailed the flight simulation and combat parts of the game, and their simulated galaxy is exceptional. Also the art and sound teams have done some of the best work in the industry, I mean seriously great work. Their biggest problem continues to be a combination of focusing on the wrong aspects of the game, not respecting player time, and building empty foundations but then never finishing what they started. For example, spending time to add stuff like CQC while failing to flesh out and improve core aspects of the game. Or making the engineers a huge gambling time sink rather than progressive and reward centric. Or taking all of that time designing Power Play in such a way that most playstyles have no incentive to even bother with it. Tons and tons of dev time spent on parts of the game that add very little value to it, whereas that time could have been used to much, MUCH greater effect.

For example, everyone uses the system map all the time, everyone. Originally it was supposed to be an Orrery style map, in 3D which accurately shows planet distances and orbits and such visually, but they went with the current system map “temporarily” until they could finish the orrery style. Here we are two years later and while we’ve gotten stuff like Power Play, CQC, and soon to be multi crew and fighters, we still do not have the orrery style system map. How many players ignore PP and CQC, and how many will barely use multi crew or even fighters? Now how many players open the system map when playing?

Basically, their biggest problem is priority management. They seem to be focused on adding lots of low value features rather than improving or finishing the ones they already have.

That said, it’s still the best overall space sim game made to date, despite any flaws or shortcomings it has. I just think it could rather easily be better if some other decisions had been made by FDev.

Burny

Basically, their biggest problem is priority management. They seem to be focused on adding lots of low value features rather than improving or finishing the ones they already have.

Here I have to disagree in turn. :p Without knowing more about the internal factors involved, priority management is hard to assess and I'd go as far as claiming priority management is the least of their issues. Unless the poor game design choices result from their priority management.

Otherwise I'm pretty indifferent to the order in which they bring the updates, so long as the individual updates are competent. Which I really can't consistently claim for the design part of said updates.

As for the system map, even though the repeated delays when opening it are incomprehensible (there should be a way to cache this, really) or the continued absence of the orrery map: That's really the absolute least of the game's issues when in there are dozens of player hours being wasted on dice rolls.

That said, it&#8217;s still the best overall space sim game made to date, despite any flaws or shortcomings it has. I just think it could rather easily be better if some other decisions had been made by FDev.

Here I would again agree. Only I wouldn't rate the game above 3/5. My favorite space game and among my favourite games. Only its a pretty poor game in many regards.

Enthusiasts often have a skewed perception of what they want. So you'll get some hardcore people who will play Fallout 4 on nothing but survive, carrying only what is deemed realistic array of weapons and clothing, killing and cooking all food.

Which is great. It gives them much joy to immerse in a role like that.

Unfortunately it also provides a totally sucky experience for other people who, to put it plainly, "just want to play a game".

I haven't played this enough to know about the impact of ship transfers but hopefully whatever implement isn't terrible and won't negatively impact on people's playtime.

It's better than nothing but the original example they used as the purpose of the feature is lost. They repeated maybe 10 times during their Gamescom stream.

You are in your trading ship, you arrive in a system with a conflict zone so you want to participate but you need your combat ship. You would summon it and they expressed it is instant specifically because they did not want to interrupt the player's session.

That situation is no longer practical unless the combat ship is very near by, which then what's the point of wasting the cash, just go grab it.

At this point, I just see it as a way to relocate your home system with all your ships. It lets you avoid the extremely tedious process by just kicking off the process and then logging off or finding something else to do in game.

The biggest frustration is now all QoL features will go under the same microscope. There are plenty of unrealistically instant game systems that are that way for gameplay purposes that were never questioned. No one wants to wait for cargo to be loaded into the ship or wait for repairs or refueling or outfitting. What about the crafting materials that teleport with the player, no matter the size of the vehicle, all the way to the SRV?

Just think about the trading profits or systems that are suffering from starvation? Everything in the game is real time and traveling to a system to retrieve virtually any commodity is like a 20 minute trip. Why is trading such a profitable activity? The actual real time involved in retrieving commodities and delivering is insignificant in a real world situation. If trading for a single 40 hour work week can provide the funds for multiple Anacondas, stations would realize they are wasting money paying so much to trading pilots.

Mengy

Here I would again agree. Only I wouldn't rate the game above 3/5. My favorite space game and among my favourite games. Only its a pretty poor game in many regards.

Elite is a difficult game to rate. As a “game” I’d agree it’s average with regard to it’s mechanics, which really need a lot of work and fleshing out. It’s functional and passable, but it’s just a tad more than a foundation that needs to be further built upon. BUT, as an open world experience, Elite kind of excels above and beyond. The flight simulation aspects are incredible, the visuals and sounds are exceptional, and the feeling of flying through space is second to none. And when you throw in planet landings, docking at stations, flying through asteroid rings, and then ship combat, well in those aspects Elite really is way above the competition currently. How you rate it really depends strongly upon whether or not the pros matter more to you than the cons or vice versa.

Overall though, compared to other space games I own and have played, Elite is the best to me. There are other games good at one thing or another, but nothing matches the totalness of Elite right now IMHO.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I think what keeps me enamored with elite is just how much of a thrill combat is. I only have 160 hours or so which is nothing compared to some of you guys, but every time I get into a dog fight - no matter how easy or difficult - I get super excited.

Those moments when you realize you are out matched and you are desperately trying to hatch a plan of escape are just as awesome as when you are out flying your opponent.

Could the game be better in many ways? Absolutely! But the parts elite excells at are unmatched by any other game and I think as long as that experience remains excellent I will keep flying.

Volimar

It's been some time since I've been as addicted to a game as I am to Elite Dangerous. I blame that really good CG that gave a good boost toward getting better ships.

They should just have some giant ships to transport other ships.. pay random players to haul our stuff.

Space Uber

Elite is a difficult game to rate. As a &#8220;game&#8221; I&#8217;d agree it&#8217;s average with regard to it&#8217;s mechanics, which really need a lot of work and fleshing out. It&#8217;s functional and passable, but it&#8217;s just a tad more than a foundation that needs to be further built upon. BUT, as an open world experience, Elite kind of excels above and beyond. The flight simulation aspects are incredible, the visuals and sounds are exceptional, and the feeling of flying through space is second to none. And when you throw in planet landings, docking at stations, flying through asteroid rings, and then ship combat, well in those aspects Elite really is way above the competition currently. How you rate it really depends strongly upon whether or not the pros matter more to you than the cons or vice versa.

Overall though, compared to other space games I own and have played, Elite is the best to me. There are other games good at one thing or another, but nothing matches the totalness of Elite right now IMHO.

Exactly my thoughts.

I believe that in the future Elite will be an universe on its own (mmo + space sim + fps part).

After farming my %¨#$* off for my cutter (no Sothis ofc) i decided to visit Jaques Station and scan EVERY SINGLE CELESTIAL OBJECT in the way, so i can get there already an Elite in exploration.

Each system is unique in its way.

I think what keeps me enamored with elite is just how much of a thrill combat is. I only have 160 hours or so which is nothing compared to some of you guys, but every time I get into a dog fight - no matter how easy or difficult - I get super excited.

Those moments when you realize you are out matched and you are desperately trying to hatch a plan of escape are just as awesome as when you are out flying your opponent.

Could the game be better in many ways? Absolutely! But the parts elite excells at are unmatched by any other game and I think as long as that experience remains excellent I will keep flying.

This is where I am at. Foremost everything makes sense and has a logic when flying. How engagements are framed and handled (seriously retraction of weapons is brilliant) and how disengagement makes sense as well. In a space game where space flight is the most common aspect of the game they really nailed the look and feel. Enough so I can overlook the grindy aspects.

joecanada

Elite is a difficult game to rate. As a &#8220;game&#8221; I&#8217;d agree it&#8217;s average with regard to it&#8217;s mechanics, which really need a lot of work and fleshing out. It&#8217;s functional and passable, but it&#8217;s just a tad more than a foundation that needs to be further built upon. BUT, as an open world experience, Elite kind of excels above and beyond. The flight simulation aspects are incredible, the visuals and sounds are exceptional, and the feeling of flying through space is second to none. And when you throw in planet landings, docking at stations, flying through asteroid rings, and then ship combat, well in those aspects Elite really is way above the competition currently. How you rate it really depends strongly upon whether or not the pros matter more to you than the cons or vice versa.

I do like elite but I can't see me spending more than about 6 months or more on it (the full parts like trading I mean). I just got it about a month ago. It is actually excellent but just doesn't respect your time. the latest vote is a perfect example of this. at some point I will probably just hole up in a busy system and just take out an FDL or Vulture for a spin in a haz res or similar from time to time. the core mechanics are great but everything about travel is basically a chore.

do any of you play echocrome (sp)? how is it?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't been playing the game very long but I'm really interested to see what future updates and seasons bring to game. For that reason alone i want to keep playing.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I was looking into power play to try and unlock either prismatics or pack hounds but then I realized something. I have absolutely no idea how this mechanic works. Just reading about it is weird and the in game UI doesn't really explain anything.

From what I gather, you pledge to a power and over time you gain merits with them? By doing something for them? After 4 weeks your influence with them is high enough to get special rewards provided you're also rank 3 but that rank is separate from navy ranks? While you're pledged to a power you are marked as hostile to all other powers except for some which seems to just make travel extremely annoying and restricted.

What the hell is power play supposed to be lmao, it just seems like a more restrictive way to play the game that doesn't even give additional interesting activities.

So I was looking into power play to try and unlock either prismatics or pack hounds but then I realized something. I have absolutely no idea how this mechanic works. Just reading about it is weird and the in game UI doesn't really explain anything.

From what I gather, you pledge to a power and over time you gain merits with them? By doing something for them? After 4 weeks your influence with them is high enough to get special rewards provided you're also rank 3 but that rank is separate from navy ranks? While you're pledged to a power you are marked as hostile to all other powers except for some which seems to just make travel extremely annoying and restricted.

What the hell is power play supposed to be lmao, it just seems like a more restrictive way to play the game that doesn't even give additional interesting activities.

Powerplay is kinda whack and has been for a while. This post sums up a lot of things that need to be addressed:

Let’s have a very quick recap of some of the key issues with the current implementation:

No method of in-game organization or comms on a power-wide scale.
Extremely important information missing or incorrect in the UI
Easy to lose ‘good’ systems and impossible to lose ‘bad’ systems.
Fifth column activity.
Actions that appear positive can be negative.
Actions that appear negative can be positive.
Exploitation of mechanics for personal greed.
Exclusive weapons and equipment.
Utterly bizarre and convoluted mechanics.
Broken rewards and effects.
Inherent and massive intentional unfairness between powers.
No ability to declare other powers enemies or allies.
An extremely complicated command capital economy with no real way to manage it.
A bubble that is slowly (if not already) running out of useful systems to claim, yet still forcing expansion.

And, perhaps the biggest one:

99.9% of players have no clue about how the damn thing actually works.

Next gen from DK2 is already here ( Vive and oculus CV1 ), the improved resolution is not negligible. Not that there isn't still a huge room for improvement ( fov, resolution.. ).
Like I mentioned already in this thread I got the CV from my brother in law to try. The improvement in comparison to my DK2 wasn't enough for me to get one myself. The DK2 is good enough for me until the next generation(s)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Powerplay is kinda whack and has been for a while. This post sums up a lot of things that need to be addressed:

The idea to make power play into a player faction battlefield sounds awesome but I don't think fdev would ever go through with it.

But the list of things off about the current system is so true except I don't even understand the current system. I kinda wish it was more interesting and obvious as to what you had to do.

I was expecting to just become a diplomatic envoy or a front line fighter in an expansion zone but it doesn't seem like that at all, and if it is it certainly isn't obvious.

vector824

The idea to make power play into a player faction battlefield sounds awesome but I don't think fdev would ever go through with it.

But the list of things off about the current system is so true except I don't even understand the current system. I kinda wish it was more interesting and obvious as to what you had to do.

I was expecting to just become a diplomatic envoy or a front line fighter in an expansion zone but it doesn't seem like that at all, and if it is it certainly isn't obvious.

As far as I can tell from the "contacts" menu in "starport services" under "powersomething" there are missions you can run for your power to help them fortify their systems. I think this is basically how you earn "merits" but I don't really see a reason too at this point. I allied with Zachary Hudson as a Fed in order to rank up... because I read a "how to" post I had to ally with them. It's definitely lacking in communication and actual game play.

Anyway I finally jumped into an Asp Explorer yesterday. I'm one rank away from that Sol permit! Got me that sick-ass orange and black paint job too.

Any outfit ideas for bounty hunting?

Volimar

Time for a couple more noobish questions.

Is the only way to get a paint job to pay for it in the extras menu?

In the CG rewards it will list things like 1,000,000 cr + global awards. What are the global awards?

How do you get a permit to go to Sol?

vector824

In the CG rewards it will list things like 1,000,000 cr + global awards. What are the global awards?

Yes if I am not mistaken.

Haven't participated yet... not sure.

You have to reach "Petty Officer" in the Federal Ranks. You do this by grinding federal missions for factions in the missions board. Once you hit 100% of a rank look for missions with "Federal Navy" in the title. You can still complete missions and have the rank percentage spill over into your next rank. Source: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Federation

FutbolBat

Banned
As far as I can tell from the "contacts" menu in "starport services" under "powersomething" there are missions you can run for your power to help them fortify their systems. I think this is basically how you earn "merits" but I don't really see a reason too at this point. I allied with Zachary Hudson as a Fed in order to rank up... because I read a "how to" post I had to ally with them. It's definitely lacking in communication and actual game play.

Anyway I finally jumped into an Asp Explorer yesterday. I'm one rank away from that Sol permit! Got me that sick-ass orange and black paint job too.

Any outfit ideas for bounty hunting?

Beams, multis and missiles, oh my! I A rated everything on my asp and its actually pretty formidable. Have since downsized and gone back to exploring/space trucking and just haul ass when interdicted. The a rated plant, distributor and shield make it impossible for any pirate to catch me.

Grief.exe

Beams, multis and missiles, oh my! I A rated everything on my asp and its actually pretty formidable. Have since downsized and gone back to exploring/space trucking and just haul ass when interdicted. The a rated plant, distributor and shield make it impossible for any pirate to catch me.

A rated power plant and distributor are also heavy.

joecanada

regarding cg, you get a reward plus tier based rewards. So the higher the community reaches in tiers (up to level 7 generally) the more you get if you make it into top 99%. Top 75% is pretty doable in most.

...except the current ones *grumble grumble* havent' found one blueprint yet.....

what you do is from any mission screen go to top at community goals then sign up! and then you can view the tier rewards, and your rank will be highlighted (like top 50%, top 75% etc, ) and your rewards will be also listed beside rank.

Volimar

regarding cg, you get a reward plus tier based rewards. So the higher the community reaches in tiers (up to level 7 generally) the more you get if you make it into top 99%. Top 75% is pretty doable in most.

...except the current ones *grumble grumble* havent' found one blueprint yet.....

what you do is from any mission screen go to top at community goals then sign up! and then you can view the tier rewards, and your rank will be highlighted (like top 50%, top 75% etc, ) and your rewards will be also listed beside rank.

Yeah I know all that. I was just wondering what the global awards are that we're suppose to get in addition to the tiered rewards.

Yes if I am not mistaken.

Haven't participated yet... not sure.

You have to reach "Petty Officer" in the Federal Ranks. You do this by grinding federal missions for factions in the missions board. Once you hit 100% of a rank look for missions with "Federal Navy" in the title. You can still complete missions and have the rank percentage spill over into your next rank. Source: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Federation

Thanks. I'm at 98% cadet.

Grief.exe

I have the rest of the week off from work. Looking to make a few more Sothis runs and upgrade from my Asp Explorer into a Python in preparation for the community goal.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I sorta wish combat was slightly more lucrative, I love Haz RES hunting in HIP 20277 because the station is only 6Ls from the main site I go to which means I can make ~1m every 20min fairly steady.

However that's chump change compared to what traders make lmao, I think it's pretty comparable to mining though.

I sorta wish combat was slightly more lucrative, I love Haz RES hunting in HIP 20277 because the station is only 6Ls from the main site I go to which means I can make ~1m every 20min fairly steady.

However that's chump change compared to what traders make lmao, I think it's pretty comparable to mining though.

No, mining is much less lucrative, even in huge ship. It's also inconsistent because mining relies on mining missions to make any serious money. Man, in the beginning combat was really impractical for money making. Bounties paid far less, there were no hazardous RESes filled with large wanted ships. Combat vouchers paid a fraction. Trading was the only way to make enough to get out of viper, for those that wanted combat. It was like that for months. Things are much better now.

Assassination missions and CZ massacre missions pay extremely well. Problem is systems at war don't tend to last.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
No, mining is much less lucrative, even in huge ship. It's also inconsistent because mining relies on mining missions to make any serious money. Man, in the beginning combat was really impractical for money making. Bounties paid far less, there were no hazardous RESes filled with large wanted ships. Combat vouchers paid a fraction. Trading was the only way to make enough to get out of viper, for those that wanted combat. It was like that for months. Things are much better now.

Assassination missions and CZ massacre missions pay extremely well. Problem is systems at war don't tend to last.

Assassination missions and CZ massacre missions are great money but they do have their drawbacks.

CZ massacre missions take a while without a wing, especially if it's those crazy "kill 20" ship ones.

Assassination missions have that timer on them where the pirate lord or target only shows up at a certain time, which means you're waiting up to 20min to start it lol, I guess the idea is you hang out at a RES until it's time to do it.

But yeah, I guess it's more money than I give it credit for (ha) but I guess everything pales in comparison to trading.

Assassination missions and CZ massacre missions are great money but they do have their drawbacks.

CZ massacre missions take a while without a wing, especially if it's those crazy "kill 20" ship ones.

Assassination missions have that timer on them where the pirate lord or target only shows up at a certain time, which means you're waiting up to 20min to start it lol, I guess the idea is you hang out at a RES until it's time to do it.

But yeah, I guess it's more money than I give it credit for (ha) but I guess everything pales in comparison to trading.

Yeah I've been burned by assassination missions pretty harshly before. Though it said 24hrs to complete so I logged out for a while and come back to see it really is a 15 minute timer to fine the target.

I have the rest of the week off from work. Looking to make a few more Sothis runs and upgrade from my Asp Explorer into a Python in preparation for the community goal.

I'd recommend saving until you hit maybe $120 million to outfit that Python right. That should only be 3 or 4 Sothis runs unless they got nerfed.

I'd recommend saving until you hit maybe $120 million to outfit that Python right. That should only be 3 or 4 Sothis runs unless they got nerfed.
My combat ready Python is worth somewhere around 110 million I believe.

Sothis/Ceos are still golden. I've made almost $200 million over the past 3 days.

Volimar

I just got a message titled "Tip off" about a crashed ship with interesting data. Since it gives a lon/lat position for the ship I'm guessing it crashed on the planet and I won't be able to do anything since I don't have Horizons. I'm also guessing that since the message talked about an encrypted key in my computer that sharing the location with others would be meaningless since the info is encrypted...

Is that right?

Top Bottom