• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Wanted to get a cool shot of the point defense firing but this guy didn't start firing missiles until he was literally right behind me. Fail. But still kinda worth the effort I guess haha

8JxF74E.jpg

joecanada

Well I decided to give the vulture another shot for Haz RES bounty hunting, now that I can afford to A rate it this ship is actually a lot more fun than I gave it credit for.

I fit bi-weaves as a decent alternative to not being able to fit a shield cell. So I can use my ridiculous maneuverability to just kite around until my shields recharge. Since I fit two multicannons I can basically keep my pips eternally at 4-0-2 to my the shields ridiculously tanky. The funniest thing by far is even if they make it through my shields then they have to chew through 1100 armor, by then with a mix of chaff and boosting I can get my shields to come back up before my armor even drops to 95%.

Don't even get me started on how ridiculous twin large multicannons feel. It's a shame that I don't have a method to break shields down that's more ammo efficient so I can stay in RES sites longer. But my god, once the shields go down on anything their hull gets shredded in seconds.

This is actually a super fun ship and I'm probably gonna fly it for a while to try and get my combat rating up.

A pulse laser with a multicannon is a pretty good compromise.... Let's you use just laser on small ships and multicannon on the bigger opponents and as you mentioned lets you stay out longer

Volimar

A pulse laser with a multicannon is a pretty good compromise.... Let's you use just laser on small ships and multicannon on the bigger opponents and as you mentioned lets you stay out longer

But you don't shred near as well if you sac one of the cannons.

Rutti

I did my first expedition outside of the bubble. The route was Maia -> Betelgeuse -> Witch's Head Nebula -> California Nebula -> Maia. I got 2 million from selling the data. I also discovered one whole system and some stars and planet on other systems. It was fun even though it was mostly jumping and scanning.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Ended up pulling in almost 8 million on my Sothis run. Next time I'll try stacking.

Edit: Getting close to buying a new ship. Might invest in a Vulture for combat.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Made a video of my trip to the RES site in my new vulture. It's like 9min long so I don't think anyone is really gonna watch it lol.

https://youtu.be/xsjzc-xWnd4

I tried to cut down most of the fights and I ommitted a few but this is all from a 45min session in a Haz RES. Some of the fights are cool but most of them is just a huge gang up on a pair of wanted ships.

The fights don't start until ~1min, and if you wanna skip all the fights and get to the dramatic ending you can skip until 7min.

Volimar

Thinking of buying an Xbox One just to play this gem as well as mods for bethesda games. PC is out of the question at the moment.

I play on an alienware alpha. They're pretty affordable. I have the cheapest tier available, added 4 gb more RAM and I can play most games just fine.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Well the vulture was fun, but now I'm back in my imp courier. It's not as outrageously powerful and it's not as tanky but man I just feel way more comfortable flying this thing.

E-flux

My MFG crosswinds are finally arriving this week, after the failed attempt at trying to do some powerplay stuff i have decided to wait till i get my pedals. The wait was almost unbearable, it took 2½ months to finally be ready hopefully they will be as good as people say.

SmartBase

Literally millions of stars around me and the stupid route plotter gives me routes of 1000ly of non-scoopable stars. When was 2.2 and an actual route plotter supposed to be released? I'm never getting back to the bubble at this rate.

Thinking of buying an Xbox One just to play this gem as well as mods for bethesda games. PC is out of the question at the moment.
Runs really well on the Xbox One. Obviously not PC levels but as someone who doesn't own a gaming PC, I'm quite happy with how Elite performs and plays.

Burny

Now that you bring it up, I wonder if there's any chance that Frontier will crank up the game for the XBox Scorpio a bit. Should be more than possible. But there's no word on that, is there?

DrBo42

Apparently inhabited planets have satellites in orbit. Encoded Emissions signal source. Picture via CMDR Viajero on reddit. Speaking of satellites/probes, new guys might not be aware that both Voyagers are in the game.

Literally millions of stars around me and the stupid route plotter gives me routes of 1000ly of non-scoopable stars. When was 2.2 and an actual route plotter supposed to be released? I'm never getting back to the bubble at this rate.

Mid October as far as we know.

Septimius

Ok, so I took a mission to get some stuff, went to the system, scanned the nav beacon, then I got additional info being a planet. I'm guessing I have to scan the surface of that planet? I went down, found some signal sources, landed in one of those spheres on the map, and drove around following the sonar. I found a rock and a restricted site that had something that wasn't what I was looking for.

Am I doing this right?

DrBo42

Wasn't aware both Voyagers are in game. That's fantastic.

I would recommend you find out how to find them but save the surprise of actually seeing them/interacting them for yourself. Don't youtube it. Once you see one of them, you don't really need to see the other though IMO.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

There is a band of unscoopable dwarf stars all throughout the galaxy just a bit beneath the galactic plane, I think from about -10 to like -40 or so? When traveling always avoid this region as it makes scooping problematic. Sounds like you might be in it.

Apparently inhabited planets have satellites in orbit. Encoded Emissions signal source. Picture via CMDR Viajero on reddit. Speaking of satellites/probes, new guys might not be aware that both Voyagers are in the game.

No kidding? I’ve never seen one of these, I might have to drop into some Encoded Emission USS’s tonight around inhabited ELW’s to see one up close. I spent a few hours this weekend grinding Empire rank, I should be able to get my Courier tonight! Hopefully I can get the FSD modded to grade 5 and install enhanced 3A thrusters tonight too, I want to see just how good an explorer I can build out of the Courier….

I would recommend you find out how to find them but save the surprise of actually seeing them/interacting them for yourself. Don't youtube it. Once you see one of them, you don't really need to see the other though IMO.
Cheers. I definitely want to do this.

You can easily buy a PC that can play the game at good settings (better than the XB1) at a very cheap price, the game is incredibly well optimized. If I can run it almost fully maxed out on a 960m and a 3.1 GHz I7 CPU at 45 FPS on a Laptop that should hardly be a problem.

Better than wasting that money on an XB1 when all its games end up on PC anyway nowadays.

Mengy

Coriolis shows the Anaconda as 141 million, how do I find out which stations have a discount? Coriolis is such a slick tool.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda...75d0303v6.Iw18ZlA=.Aw18ZlA=?bn=Anaconda Build

The best places to buy ships or modules is in Sirius space, a system like Diaguandri for example. You get 15% off all ship and module prices in Sirius systems. That makes huge difference with something like an Anaconda, the problem becomes finding systems that have what you are looking for available (modules especially). If you have the permit for it, Jameson Memorial in Shinrarta Dezra has 10% off everything, BUT they also HAVE everything, all ships and modules in the game are available there for said 10% off.

Grief.exe

The best places to buy ships or modules is in Sirius space, a system like Diaguandri for example. You get 15% off all ship and module prices in Sirius systems. That makes huge difference with something like an Anaconda, the problem becomes finding systems that have what you are looking for available (modules especially). If you have the permit for it, Jameson Memorial in Shinrarta Dezra has 10% off everything, BUT they also HAVE everything, all ships and modules in the game are available there for said 10% off.

How do I go about getting a permit?

Starting to get into that Engineer grind.

There is something somewhat satisfying and relaxing about scouring a planet, blasting rocks, and collecting resources to pop into the ol slot machine.

I've never really done much surface exploration. How can do you scan/find points of interest/materials when in orbital flight? Do you have to "discover" a planet first? I forgot to scan the nav beacon of this system, so everything was unexplored and I assume that's why I didn't detect any POI. Instead, I just went to the surface and used my SRV's scanner to find resources, but I know I missed out on POI detection and all that.

SmartBase

There is a band of unscoopable dwarf stars all throughout the galaxy just a bit beneath the galactic plane, I think from about -10 to like -40 or so? When traveling always avoid this region as it makes scooping problematic. Sounds like you might be in it.

Turns out that's exactly what it was, thanks.

Hehe found a system with two Fed factions at war. Able to do CZ missions on both sides lol.

Also was like F it, and picked up a dropship until I unlock the FAS. Got it and was fitting it but the jump Lange was 6Ly and no upgrade in the system. So I figure I can jump and buy one...... Nope closest systems are uninhabited and system with an upgrade is 12 LY away. Welp, back to the Vulture.

Any tips on plotting courses near the core? I'm about 2k light years out and my PC is struggling to calculate a route. I've tried the maths approach outlined on the ED forums but it didn't really help at all :(

Is there anything else I can do to speed things up? At the moment it takes just shy of 30m to plot a route.

joecanada

Any tips on plotting courses near the core? I'm about 2k light years out and my PC is struggling to calculate a route. I've tried the maths approach outlined on the ED forums but it didn't really help at all :(

Is there anything else I can do to speed things up? At the moment it takes just shy of 30m to plot a route.

Is there a video associated with that write up ? because I know I have seen a youtube video with a guy explaining how to get the computer to calculate almost instantly, maybe check it out... later I will check my youtube history if its still on my phone.

Septimius

Ok, so I took a mission to get some stuff, went to the system, scanned the nav beacon, then I got additional info being a planet. I'm guessing I have to scan the surface of that planet? I went down, found some signal sources, landed in one of those spheres on the map, and drove around following the sonar. I found a rock and a restricted site that had something that wasn't what I was looking for.

Am I doing this right?

Anyone? :)

Volimar

^You'll have to be more specific as to what mission it was. If it was something like blueprint recovery, you don't actually have to land on the planet. You orbit the planet until you find a mission related signal. You go to that location and scoop up the blueprints. All in space.

Sometimes when you come across a degraded emissions signal there's a private data beacon attached to a bit of wreckage. How do you get at it? Do you need a limpet?

doomquake

Depth is being added, but there hasn't been a SWEEPING change.

NPCs are in and help add some life to the world.
Engineer crafting is at a fairly good balance now and adds a fun little meta to the game, plus has the chance to really change up your combat and flight strategies.
More types of missions are added with every other patch, both for surface and space flight.

2.2 is adding:
Passenger missions (bulk and VIP esorts), including "combat cruises/tourism"
Deployable fighters (up to 10 in hangar, depending on ship) that can be controlled by AI or the player. It appears like we can recruit specific types of AI, though it's not confirmed.

I'm mostly excited about AI crew, TBH. I have never really had a desire to get a larger ship, but the idea of having some AI crew/wingmen is exciting. I assume there is permadeath if they die...would be cool if there was a meta to their skills/ability.

nice - thanks for the breakdown!

Septimius

^You'll have to be more specific as to what mission it was. If it was something like blueprint recovery, you don't actually have to land on the planet. You orbit the planet until you find a mission related signal. You go to that location and scoop up the blueprints. All in space.

Thanks! Before I saw this, I gave up and returned to space, then I came across the mission beacon by chance. It was to recover some antiques.

Did your mission have the horizons/ground icon indicating you'd need to land? What type of mission is it and what are you looking for?

I'm guessing it did not. I'm assuming you're talking about in the navigation tab? How does that icon look?

Search eddb or inara for Sirius Corporation stations etc. They'll give you one after enough rep.
You get a Shinrarta Dezhra permit from Sirius? Really? Thought this is only through Elite Rank?
Also was like F it, and picked up a dropship until I unlock the FAS. Got it and was fitting it but the jump Lange was 6Ly and no upgrade in the system. So I figure I can jump and buy one...... Nope closest systems are uninhabited and system with an upgrade is 12 LY away. Welp, back to the Vulture.
haha had this yesterday. Jumped to Yuri for its engineer just to find out there is no station with large landing pad. Took the first best system with a station and bought myself a Vulture just to realize I cannot jump out there due to low FSD sold there. 40minutes wasted... :(

I'm mostly excited about AI crew, TBH. I have never really had a desire to get a larger ship, but the idea of having some AI crew/wingmen is exciting. I assume there is permadeath if they die...would be cool if there was a meta to their skills/ability.

Dito. What I'm really interested in is if I can use the small agile ship to pew pew at big guys and my Anaconda is used as a mobile collector limpet factory to gather all mats haha

Mengy

Just can't get enough shots of the Cutter fuelscoop haha. So good.

Those aren’t the fuel scoop, they are the heat dissipaters. You can prove this by removing the fuel scoop module altogether and then flying close to a star, you’ll see them pop out everytime the ship gets hot whether or not you have a fuel scoop even installed.

The Cutter does have gorgeous heat dissipaters though, all of the Imperial ships look awesome when they run hot. The Ananconda has huge vents which open up topside similar to the Cobras. The Asp has vents along it’s top ridge and a few smaller ones on the sides, pretty blah in comparison. I should check out all of my ships close to stars, come to think of it I have no idea what a couple of my ships heat dissipaters even look like….

You get a Shinrarta Dezhra permit from Sirius? Really? Thought this is only through Elite Rank?

This is correct, access to Shinrarta is granted when you get at least one rank in Elite. I got mine after getting Elite in exploration.

Volimar

You just select it and scan it via your normal ship scanners.

Thanks!

Thanks for this tip! I'm one Sothis run from an Anaconda and insurance.

Top Bottom