• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The screenshot is way cooler next to a star though.

OZ3Lkqw.gif

I voted for delivery times because I wanted to send a message to Frontier about how much immersion matters to me, I didn't think it would actually pass...

Those aren’t the fuel scoop, they are the heat dissipaters. You can prove this by removing the fuel scoop module altogether and then flying close to a star, you’ll see them pop out everytime the ship gets hot whether or not you have a fuel scoop even installed.

The Cutter does have gorgeous heat dissipaters though, all of the Imperial ships look awesome when they run hot. The Ananconda has huge vents which open up topside similar to the Cobras. The Asp has vents along it’s top ridge and a few smaller ones on the sides, pretty blah in comparison. I should check out all of my ships close to stars, come to think of it I have no idea what a couple of my ships heat dissipaters even look like….

Oh shit. Thanks for the correction!!!

Mengy

oo man, people around here are gonna flip shit.

I voted for instant transfers, but honestly I’m not torn up that delayed transfers won. I’m just super happy that we are GETTING ship transfers at all!!!!

Having a delay does mean that transfers will be super cheap though, right?

Burny

oo man, people around here are gonna flip shit.

Disappointed of course. But not much to do other than logging out and making a cup of tea everytime I would have to wait for a ship transfer. And not log back in. :p

Having a delay does mean that transfers will be super cheap though, right?

You ought do know Frontier by now, shouldn't you? One transfer is going to take 8-12 hours of material grind and there will be a random chance to lose your ship of course. ;)

I don't think there are any visible fuel scoops, though I always assumed it's just a big floppy hose hanging out of my cargo hatch.
Learn something new every day. Have always thought those were the scoops, even though the design of some of them certainly didn't seem to make much sense given the function assumed lol.

The Fehu system has a lot of donation missions and I've been logging and donating. It's like ~90-100mil a rank. It's much faster than doing actual courier or data delivery stacks, but the downside is that you're just spending your own money and not getting any mission rewards either. Give and take. But I don't have the patience to grind out 20 stacks of deliveries haha.
Need to check this out. Sounds good.
DAMN! That works great and wow are there a lot of donations. Too bad I did not get any Imperial Rank mission in between. Continuing tomorrow :)
It's time consuming and soul crushing but it's faster than doing actual missions. Godspeed haha. o7
Yep. I wouldn't mind the time consumtion if I could do something while flying back and forth. Not possible in VR yet. And the tool for inserting Youtube into the HMDs is not that great so far :(

*bummer just realized Master is only rank 4. DAMN! :D

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I finally decided to look into engineers and my god...this looks like an insane grind lmao.

So I guess I gotta get the blueprints for everything on top of actually unlocking the engineers themselves and then on top of that grabbing the materials to get it done.

But I think the most annoying part is that only the level 4 or 5 upgrades seems to actually have enough upsides to negate their downsides. Like the level 1 upgrades for most modules seems to just have way too many downsides to actually use.

Pomerlaw

So I finally decided to look into engineers and my god...this looks like an insane grind lmao.

So I guess I gotta get the blueprints for everything on top of actually unlocking the engineers themselves and then on top of that grabbing the materials to get it done.

But I think the most annoying part is that only the level 4 or 5 upgrades seems to actually have enough upsides to negate their downsides. Like the level 1 upgrades for most modules seems to just have way too many downsides to actually use.

Don't grind for it, you will just make yourself miserable. Just play the game and take the materials as you move along. :)

Just can't get enough shots of the Cutter fuelscoop haha. So good.

AW2Ql9O.jpg

I think those are the heat sinks actually :D. Each ship actually has heatsinks that deploy when the ship gets too hot (I'm not sure of the exact levels). The one on my asp is pretty boring, just a panel on top that opens up. The ones on your cutter, though, are exquisite :O

joecanada

I'd prefer instant but a delay is still better than flying ship A to pick up Ship B and having to leave Ship A behind.

I just sell them now when I know I'm leaving. YOLO and piss on their time constraints. I can make the money back anyway. I'm planning a trip soon just to reach my last two , an eagle and a viper and they're also going to be sold. in other words forget the transfers altogether. unless the transfer is like 10k or free, that's the only way it'll be worth waiting around for.

from now on I'm just setting up shop somewhere and buying a viper when I need it. who cares about the 500k lost (for a vulture actually a viper is much cheaper).

Volimar

GOT MY ANACONDA!!!

And barely enough left to cover insurance and filled all the empty slots with basic modules. Now the long climb toward my optimal build.

Edit: Wow this thing sure doesn't turn on a dime. And it takes a lot more jumps to get anywhere. A big shock after the aspX.

GOT MY ANACONDA!!!

And barely enough left to cover insurance and filled all the empty slots with basic modules. Now the long climb toward my optimal build.

Edit: Wow this thing sure doesn't turn on a dime. And it takes a lot more jumps to get anywhere. A big shock after the aspX.

Come on, get your ass to a star and show off dem heat sinks :)

Jedi2016

FWIW, I voted instant, even though I think it should cost an arm and a leg to do so. Me, I like flying between ships in my Courier.

I had no doubt that would be the result. The majority who were even aware there was a debate were those pushing for a delay. At least they sent out an email several days after the started the poll. Well it is what it is. The people have spoken. Mindless waiting it is. What an amazing way to balance a feature, deliberate real life inconvenience.

Edit:

Good grief, if these times are accurate:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/52gcih/expected_transfer_time/

17 min for a 35.6 LY. I'm pretty sure I can beat that doing the round trip myself, even with my FDL's shit jump range.

"Imagine you reach a system with a combat zone but you're in your trading ship, what if you could just request your combat ship, logoff, wait an hour..."

DrBo42

I had no doubt that would be the result. The majority who were even aware there was a debate were those pushing for a delay. At least they sent out an email several days after the started the poll. Well it is what it is. The people have spoken. Mindless waiting it is. What an amazing way to balance a feature, deliberate real life inconvenience.

Edit:

17 min for a 35.6 LY. I'm pretty sure I can beat that doing the round trip myself, even with my FDL's shit jump range.

"Imagine you reach a system with a combat zone but you're in your trading ship, what if you could just request your combat ship, logoff, wait an hour..."

The absolute worst community when it comes to talking about design changes. What the fuck is the point with delays like that? Insane how they managed to dismantle something designed to respect our time.

I read the post but am not really sure where he got those numbers from? Powerplay transfer times? For what?

Either way, don't these seem grossly slower compared to what even FD stated?

I read the post but am not really sure where he got those numbers from? Powerplay transfer times? For what?

Either way, don't these seem grossly slower compared to what even FD stated?

I think it's based off the 100 min to reach the bubbles edge which was FD's initial proposal. He's using Power Play capitals for reference systems.

I think it's based off the 100 min to reach the bubbles edge which was FD's initial proposal. He's using Power Play capitals for reference systems.

Oh fuck, had a brainfart and my brain equated the bubble with the expanse of the Milky Way. 100 mins to cross the entire galaxy didn't seem so bad :p

Yeesh. They need to take any idea they have, then reduce the associated grind/time by half. Would have saved them a lot of dev time on just about *every* expansion they put out.

Point defense ftw!

I was slowly drifting in thruster mode, while I was eating, when suddenly a Corvette appeared out of nowhere and hit me from the side. I think it glitched or something because it more or less blinked into existence lol. Hit the boost and took off. Was going to jump immediately into supercruise but I saw missile blips on my radar so figured I'd try to get a good shot out of it lol.

Fuck yeah. Point defense has saved my Vulture many a time. Mine is mounted near my cockpit window, too--love when it takes out missiles headout.

Wish they had a better sound effect for it though, TBH. A bit too pew-pew.

Mengy

Just imagine how long it will take to transfer ships out to Jacques. I'll be waiting weeks to get my fleet out there!!!

On a more positive note, I finally got Master Rank in the Empire and immediately proceeded to buy myself an Imperial Courier!!!!

Holy Fuck I love flying this ship. It's fast, like Clipper fast but in a small yet awesomely sexy hull. I already have it FSD modded with enhanced thrusters and configured to jump 35 lys with a full tank (with both scanners, 2D shield, one SRV, a 3A scoop and a 3A AFMU) and she cruises at 535 m/s and boosts all the way up to 608 m/s! Her range is a far cry from my Asp's 49 lys per jump, but hell 35 lys is better than my Asp could get pre-engineers, so that's really pretty cool if you ask me.

I'm going to take her on the Small Worlds Expedition this weekend and do a lot of local exploring! She runs a tad hot when fuel scooping but it's manageable. It's fantastically fun to blast across planet surfaces at 608 m/s, lol!!! I might put a dirty drive mod on the enhanced thrusters to get her even faster yet, that would increase heat generation even more but I might take the hit due to the need for speed....

Oh, and for the sake of science, here are the Courier's fucking sweet looking heat sinks:

They glow bright yellow on both the top and bottom of the wing pylons, looks cool in external camera mode. Gonna take her down to some planet surfaces tomorrow and get some landed pictures in scenic places. Might even trade out the AFMU for a cargo rack and do some surface salvage missions too just for fun.

JambiBum

Even with the vote being over and delay winning, I still have yet to see a single point in favor of delays that doesn't fall into those that I listed earlier. If those times are accurate (which to be honest I don't think they will be) then I won't even bother using the feature. It'll be a complete joke when you can just fly there and back in a shorter amount of time for some of those distances. You're going to have people just log out while waiting on their ship instead of playing the game. The fact that such a huge quality of life feature that has been requested forever got destroyed so quickly is a joke and it is a prime example of why devs shouldn't let their communities make design decisions for them. Release the feature in beta, see how things change, and if things actually go badly then you can put in the delay. The fact that it was changed before we even got to see what kind of cost was associated with it is a joke.

DrBo42

Even with the vote being over and delay winning, I still have yet to see a single point in favor of delays that doesn't fall into those that I listed earlier. If those times are accurate (which to be honest I don't think they will be) then I won't even bother using the feature. It'll be a complete joke when you can just fly there and back in a shorter amount of time for some of those distances. You're going to have people just log out while waiting on their ship instead of playing the game. The fact that such a huge quality of life feature that has been requested forever got destroyed so quickly is a joke and it is a prime example of why devs shouldn't let their communities make design decisions for them. Release the feature in beta, see how things change, and if things actually go badly then you can put in the delay. The fact that it was changed before we even got to see what kind of cost was associated with it is a joke.

Yep. They fucked up massively here.

Mengy

Even with the vote being over and delay winning, I still have yet to see a single point in favor of delays that doesn't fall into those that I listed earlier. If those times are accurate (which to be honest I don't think they will be) then I won't even bother using the feature. It'll be a complete joke when you can just fly there and back in a shorter amount of time for some of those distances. You're going to have people just log out while waiting on their ship instead of playing the game. The fact that such a huge quality of life feature that has been requested forever got destroyed so quickly is a joke and it is a prime example of why devs shouldn't let their communities make design decisions for them.

Eh, even though I voted for instant transfers, I've contemplated delayed transfers a bit today and I'm not terribly bothered by them having a delay, I'm just glad we are getting them at all. I'll always be able to do other things while I wait the delay out, or even log out and play something else if I have to. I'm far more concerned with how much they will cost. If they are affordable then I'll use them quite a bit most likely. If they are too costly plus delayed well then I'll probably never use it, as I don't have a plethora of credits to burn when I could simply fly my ships to wherever for free in most likely less time.

I'm expecting horribly long and terribly expensive transfers. LOL!!!!

JambiBum

Yep. They fucked up massively here.

I'd have absolutely zero issues with a delay if they put instant into beta first and issues arose from having it there. Instead we won't get to see what they were going to do to balance instant transfers and if there would have been any issues with players having that ability.

I know that they've had some decisions not go over well in the past and then corrected them later on, but the fact that this was changed before we even got to see what would result from it is the biggest mistake they've made in my opinion. Let your plan for something fail on its own and then correct it. Don't give in to community pressure just because you want to make people happy. This may end up setting a really bad precedent when it comes to future updates.

@Mengy: I'm sorry but logging out of a game to do something else while you wait should not be a selling point of a feature for any game ever. That should be the exact opposite of what anyone wants to do. Features should make you want to play the game more, not less.

Effect

So I traded in my Asp Explorer for a Federal Assault Ship and really enjoying it so far. After a bad round in a conflict zone I redid my weapon layout. Went from 2 large pulse lasers and 2 fragment cannons I decided to not be cheap and changed them out for a 1 large pulse laser, 2 medium pulse lasers, and one plasma accelerator.

Need to get a shot of this flying as I really do like how it looks when it's traveling through space or around asteroids. Thing is I don't see were you actually board this thing. Come to think about I think the Cobra Mk III is the only ship I've actually seen an entrance where you enter the ship on foot. There are stairs that come down in the middle that you can see form the front.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_...b1e1b1b000l0403B2043329242f.Iw18cQ==.Aw18cQ==

Went to a "high" hazardous resource zone and cleaned up. I think I was in there for an hour and managed to get over 2 million once everything was added up. Granted there were a lot of friendly npcs there but I was doing a lot of damage and it did help me practice the plasma accelerator. I feel safer piloting this thing then I did trying to take the Asp into combat. In a similar way that I felt okay with taking the Cobra Mk III into combat when I was using that. My only disappointment is the lack of cargo space. With how I have it setup I can only carry 32 tons so I have to focus on combat. So I have to finally pick a second ship to match the FAS as I ultimately work my way up to a Python or a Conda.

I keep wanting to buy a Keelback but it's such a bad ship stat wise. There is like no benefit from getting it over the Type 6 or even the Asp Explorer when it comes to cargo. I actually kinda like the design of the Keelback and I do want a ship launching capable ship when that finally comes but I don't think I would dare take it into combat and trading potential might very well go down. I really wish they could buff this thing. Up its maneuverability to 4 at least to not making it a sitting duck once it gets its fighter. Perhaps give it one more cargo slot. A tier 6 internal so it can either have a stronger shield or a 64 ton cargo hold.

I did manage to see something pretty cool before turning in the Asp though.

There is actually a third star below these but further away. I've seen this before but never really took the time to just stared at them. The Asp design finally started to grow on me but not enough to stop me from selling it.

Top Bottom