• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

The Cowboy

Just bought the beta (got the game cheap and love it, so don't paying £6.99 for it), but i have to download the entire game again to use it? - why doesn't it copy the data over from the main install and just update it?.
-
Edit.
And i can't even play the main game (even in solo) whilst it downloads?, WTF!.

And now with NS/WD boosts being relegated to a pointless risky timewaster, suddenly I don’t think there is anything in 2.2 that I’m looking forward to anymore. Holy shit, talk about disappointed.
Didn't they say it's in the 100% increase area? Now it's 25%? wat? :(
Again, fighters are conceptually super cool but I cannot imagine using them outside of the novelty given the time it takes to deploy and recall them and their limited effectiveness. I'd rather use them as an alternative to the SRV for planetary exploration but unless you can send your ship into orbit while in the fighter that's not necessarily practical.
Fighters should definitely be able to be deployed like this but unfortunately Frontier nixed that when asked about it. Some bullshit "lore" excuse about how the fighters are tethered to the ship so they can't travel farther than X distance away.
It would make sense if there is no pilot in the fighter at all. That's what they are stating. It works via remote controlling them. So technically they should sit in the cockpit of the bigger ships right next to yourself :D

I'm positive it's more of a performance or technical problem. Having even 4 people in the same instance all deploying 2 fighters each along with your standard AI has to be taxing. Especially if it's something like a conflict zone.
That's what I think as well.

JambiBum

I'm positive it's more of a performance or technical problem. Having even 4 people in the same instance all deploying 2 fighters each along with your standard AI has to be taxing. Especially if it's something like a conflict zone.

That could be the case but look at how many ships are in a CZ or how many people gather together for an expedition or whatever. I can see it being a technical issue where they can only "activate" one AI at a time or something that can either control your ship or your fighter. Hopefully they can work it out but if not I'll probably still use a fighter for my Corvette just to have something different to fly every now and then.

Also for the FSD boost people, the current top post on reddit is a plea to get them to keep the current boost range or something close to it. So seems like a lot of people agree with the fact that it should be larger than 25%. I'm sure FDev will see it and adjust accordingly. Hopefully.

2.1 vs 2.2

WnWTCqX.jpg

MqyY7B2.jpg

Ok, so I found a planet with 6 escape pods on it. I didn't have the cargo capacity to take them with me. Now I'm on vacation in another state for about a week. If I were to go back to that planet, would it be possible the pods are still there, or would the procedural generation reset the surface?

Ok, so I found a planet with 6 escape pods on it. I didn't have the cargo capacity to take them with me. Now I'm on vacation in another state for about a week. If I were to go back to that planet, would it be possible the pods are still there, or would the procedural generation reset the surface?

Those escape pods would not be persistent. They would have been spawned into your instance. As soon as you leave the instance, they would no longer exist.

Grief.exe

empty. I havent fully upgraded it yet. Also I can only get the cargo hold to 88, what am I doing wrong?

Focus on getting your frame shift drive to A, then reducing all non-essential components to D rated.

Power Plant, Thrusters, Sensors, Life Support, etc. That way you minimize your weight and maximize your jump distance.

Dizzy-4U

Well, landing on a planet with the Anaconda didn't turn out very well, crashed into the ground at massive speed. I didn't expect the gravity to hit me that hard.

And quite a change in FPS! Seems it's a good dip for me so far :(

They improved audio as well. "Power capacity exceeded" sounds different and so does the announcer lady when starting the Hyperspace jump. Seems like some more minor improvements here and there sound vice.

Tried the Condor and them, thos vertical thrusters lol Those need a fix asap. Right now it's not possible to use the ship that way.
That said, as soon as my shields were down, 1sec and the Cobra toasted myself.

edit: The main ship is constructing a new fighter the moment the first one blows up. It takes ~ 90sec.

I also tested if it is possible to use the main ship as a collector... Nope, it's not. As soon as the NPC takes over the Cargo Hatch is closed :( *bummer

Note to myself: Do not read FD Forums!
Mengy's Thread said:
Why boost at all ? Where are you hoping to go ? You'll end up exploring the galaxy at a much lower resolution and miss all those Earth-likes. It would also diminish the status of the Distant Worlds and 65,000ly club, not that I'm a member.

Well, landing on a planet with the Anaconda didn't turn out very well, crashed into the ground at massive speed. I didn't expect the gravity to hit me that hard.
Yep D rated thrusters are a death sentence with planets above ~ 1G :D

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Lmfao all this talk about high G planetary landings with big ships and bad thrusters is reminding me of when I went to visit Elvira for FSD mods on my D rated thruster Asp X.

I didn't realize how hard the planet was pulling me down until I made a turn to get to the landing pad and just suddenly lost all thrust and began falling down onto the surface

Sibylus

Banned
It was only after crash-landing that I realized I didn't even have my SRV bay equipped.

Fuck you fuck you fucking pistachio planet forever fuck

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It was only after crash-landing that I realized I didn't even have my SRV bay equipped.

Lol pistachio planet.

I'm currently working my way back down after going straight up from the bubble. Doing some planet scanning so it is taking a bit longer. I found an earth like which is sweet.

Dizzy-4U

Lmfao all this talk about high G planetary landings with big ships and bad thrusters is reminding me of when I went to visit Elvira for FSD mods on my D rated thruster Asp X.

I didn't realize how hard the planet was pulling me down until I made a turn to get to the landing pad and just suddenly lost all thrust and began falling down onto the surface
That's her!!!!! I crashed on her planet. Was planning on upgrading the FSD too :(

Same here, Thank god I managed to turn and boost away in the last second. Just to fight the gravity to eventually land.

joecanada

those planetary landings are a bitch, luckily I remember the code of all lead footed pilots, always put full pips into shields when landing. bounced off the surface of a planet yesterday so hard I must have bounced 50m in the air, but survived somehow.............. damn.

also what is that glide mechanism, you have to come in on an angle I think and sort of coax her to the platform, otherwise if you come in too steep she just cancels glide and goes nose down

The amount of "OMG what have we done" over the ship transfers is amazing.

"What do you mean I have to set for 30 minutes to get my ship?"
"I could just fly there faster."

You all voted for this, you deserve it. You screamed "mah immurshun!" over actual gameplay and now you have to deal with it.

It's amazing to watch.

Effect

Very nice. I use Rhea as a my home system and the change is going to be welcome. I wonder if the changes extend to hangers once you're docked?

You all voted for this, you deserve it. You screamed "mah immurshun!" over actual gameplay and now you have to deal with it.

It's amazing to watch.

Crazy. I always assumed the ship transfers were really made so you didn't have to travel long distances to get the ship. If you can just fly there quicker in the span of a few minutes then one should fly there and pick up the ship. Surprised some people are complaining.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

It's amazing to watch.

Lol, that's hilarious

I've mostly done combat, exploring and transporting missions so far in Elite.

I was interested in doing a community goal, but realized I have no idea how to get a hold of explosives or skimmer components.

Are you just supposed to buy them and turn them in? Did some searching online, but not finding useful info for such a noob question. Help.

Grief.exe

I was interested in doing a community goal, but realized I have no idea how to get a hold of explosives or skimmer components.

Are you just supposed to buy them and turn them in? Did some searching online, but not finding useful info for such a noob question. Help.

Do you know how to use this website?

You can find whatever materials you need an sort them by distance from your current system. Make sure you've signed up for the mission first, has to be at another mission board than the actual CG station, get whatever materials the CG is requesting back to the station, and sell them in the commodities menu.

Some things you have to find in unidentified signal sources and I assume on planets at bases. The skimmer components I would assume comes from skimmers you've destroyed. Unless that's wrong and if so someone please correct me here. I'm not sure as I can't get them to spawn for missions where you have to kill them. Help with that would be appreciated.

All the CG items this week for all three missions can be purchased from other stations.

Effect

Some things you have to find in unidentified signal sources and I assume on planets at bases. The skimmer components I would assume comes from skimmers you've destroyed. Unless that's wrong and if so someone please correct me here. I'm not sure as I can't get them to spawn for missions where you have to kill them. Help with that would be appreciated.

Kind of surprised that the explosives CG filled up so much faster than the robotics considering robotics aren't that far away and you get a better profit from selling those.

Yeah not too many people did it compared to the imp one. I got into the top 25% with ~800.

Bubba77

Focus on getting your frame shift drive to A, then reducing all non-essential components to D rated.

Power Plant, Thrusters, Sensors, Life Support, etc. That way you minimize your weight and maximize your jump distance.

all right. got it up around 26 now. Im in ceos/sothis. Theres not a better FSD i can buy there. Maybe when I make my way back to the bubble I will find something better. I did finally open up the fsd engineer. Maybe Ill go visit her

joecanada

You all voted for this, you deserve it. You screamed "mah immurshun!" over actual gameplay and now you have to deal with it.i

It's amazing to watch.

Of course. The delayed transfer was always dumb . It's a game. You sell your add ons first then your ship , only lose 10 percent on base ship then move on and buy another. Who would actually sit and wait and pay on top

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Of course. The delayed transfer was always dumb . It's a game. You sell your add ons first then your ship , only lose 10 percent on base ship then move on and buy another. Who would actually sit and wait and pay on top

This was how I used to think, until I started tinkering with engineers.

I have a totally stripped down asp X just sitting out in the middle of no where because it has a decent engineer modded FSD and grinding for 11mil credits (cost of ship + FSD) is far less painful than grinding for engineer mats.

joecanada

This was how I used to think, until I started tinkering with engineers.

I have a totally stripped down asp X just sitting out in the middle of no where because it has a decent engineer modded FSD and grinding for 11mil credits (cost of ship + FSD) is far less painful than grinding for engineer mats.

Ya true but I thought they were also introducing mod storage . If not just do it old fashioned way , stripped out hauler to go back , and also don't waste mods on cheaper disposal ships

joecanada

Well I've gone to the dark side... Destroying skimmers for dirty money. So much money but how will I sleep at night?

Also never been hunted by bounty hunters before now it's regular.... I'm a real criminal. At about 20k in bounties on me now

Burny

Not that I disagree with your conclusion, but high end parts, not even the engineered ones, are sometimes really hard to come by. As may be the ship itself.

Volimar

Is a Cutter way more maneuverable than a Conda? Cuz I was auto docking when a CMDR came boosting out of the dock and I swore we were gonna hit but he swerves and we miss by a couple of meters. It was pretty impressive. Then like an ass I tried boosting out of the dock and got a reckless flying fine and now I'm wanted again and I have too much cargo to do a winder suicide. It's going to be an eventful Sothis run.

SmartBase

I want to throw copious amounts of rotten produce at the dunces who thought all of those nondeterministic engineer commodity rewards and material and data spawn rates was a good idea.

joecanada

Not that I disagree with your conclusion, but high end parts, not even the engineered ones, are sometimes really hard to come by. As may be the ship itself.

Well that's the worst part of all it only punishes the dedicated players who have two, three irreplaceable ships . Mid level players only need one good one say an anaconda and then the others are fairly replaceable.

But in that case I say just dock your heavies and strip down an asp x for taxi ... Wouldn't be substantial loss

Top Bottom