• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Volimar

Noob question, but does it for sure give like 10x more reputation to donate 400,000 credits than to donate 40,000? Asking because both say they give a medium increase so I don't want to be giving way more money than I need to if they give the same rep.

FutbolBat

Banned
Bought an anaconda after a two weeks of sithos/ceos in the aspX. Feels good. Now time to grind federation rank and get that corvette.

So been continuing to explore rather than hit the beta (I really should though, looks awesome from the screens you guys are posting). Ran across this monster planet (like 20x the mass of earth) but only 2g. On approach I noticed this huge honking crater so I set down in the middle of it (nearly -20km depth). It was so big you can't even see the edges of it at the horizon, and had this awesome haze:

RWcnu7v.png

I know it's been discussed a million times but has there been any official word on AI wingmen? We can now hire pilots, to fly our active ship or fighter. It's a pretty obvious step, that I had hoped for way back when Wings were introduced last year.

Widge

I know it's been discussed a million times but has there been any official word on AI wingmen? We can now hire pilots, to fly our active ship or fighter. It's a pretty obvious step, that I had hoped for way back when Wings were introduced last year.

I
would
LOVE
this.

From what I see, the game is all about the race to get yourself in a mega ship. I'd love to be part of a nice little swarm of Cobra mk3's or something that drift around the galaxy.

DrBo42

No. Other than the typical [space_loach]"It's something we'd like to do!"[/space_loach]

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Wow so ranking up The Blaster is super fucking easy, I was just screwing around at the nav point and took him from rank 1 to rank 4 with like 700k in bounties, I'm guessing it only takes 1 mil in bounties to get him to give you access to rank 5 multicannon mods.

I need to find somewhere to shoot at things with my FdL though, I need to start makin a profit.

I might ditch the chaff launcher for a KWS though.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_l...402005i455d532j.Iw18aQ==.CwBhrECYd7YMwEYEOEA=

This is my current fit and it's absolutely awesome for bounty hunting, especially since firing off my SCBs basically gives me half the charge on my shields back...but also gives me nearly 300% heat so I've gotta fire a heat sink in conjunction with it lmao.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Where is that good noob guide or post about Sothis? Fuck it, I'm in.

I think grief.exe wrote a post I'll hunt for it in a sec. Edit: Here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=217131895&postcount=6302

But the way I did the runs was:

1) Fit for long range jumping and cargo capacity (don't forget a good fuel scoop!)
2) Arrive as Sothis and go to the main station there (newholm station)
3) accept all data delivery missions to ceos (~8ly away) to build rep to get better / more missions
4) accept all long range deliveries, I try to maintain a ratio of 1 ton for 150,000cr (so missions like 12 units of biowaste for 2mil)
5) switch between game modes to stack missions like usual
6) fly to ceos and go to the only station there
7) hand in your data deliveries to build up rep
8) repeat steps 3-5 to keep stacking missions
9) if your cargo isn't full yet deliver your data deliveries to sothis (newholm station / sothis mining outpost)
10) repeat until your cargo is full of long range hauling goods
11) embark on your delivery run!

Just some basic observations I made from my runs:

100 cargo is capable of carrying 15mil-20mil worth of cargo for long range delivery missions depending on how picky you are.
Each run takes about 2 hours from accepting your first mission to final delivery, add 30 more minutes for return trip.

vector824

I think grief.exe wrote a post I'll hunt for it in a sec.

But the way I did the runs was:

1) Fit for long range jumping and cargo capacity (don't forget a good fuel scoop!)
2) Arrive as Sothis and go to the main station there
3) accept all data delivery missions to ceos (~8ly away) to build rep
4) accept all long range deliveries, I try to maintain a ratio of 1 ton for 150,000cr
5) switch between game modes to stack missions like usual
6) fly to ceos and go to the main station
7) hand in your data deliveries to build up rep
8) repeat steps 3-5 to keep stacking missions
9) if your cargo isn't full yet deliver your data deliveries to sothis / sothis mining outpost
10) repeat until your cargo is full of long range hauling goods
11) embark on your delivery run!

Just some basic stats I took from my runs

100 cargo is capable of carrying 15mil-20mil worth of cargo for long range delivery missions depending on how picky you are.

Each run takes about 2hours from accepting your first mission to final delivery, add 30more minutes for return trip.

This exactly. Also be careful plotting your route so that you can top off your fuel. Make sure you do as many missions you can back and forth between Sothis and Ceos to build rep. Took me about an hour of back and forth before I was 'allied' with the main faction. There are two stations in Sothis about 4000ls away from each other, so the missions from Ceos will be to EITHER station.

I'm gonna need to outfit a long ranged ship for some of these Sothis runs I keep hearing about...

What's the cheapest ship to do this in? I'm running a Diamondback Scout at the moment but I'm not particularly attached to it.

Thanks! At a minimum, what ship should I use? I currently have a Vulture with a pretty solid build, plus 4m in the bank. So not a ton but I don't really have much hauling/trading experience and don't know what to check out.

Edit: yeah, see above!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Thanks! At a minimum, what ship should I use? I currently have a Vulture with a pretty solid build, plus 4m in the bank. So not a ton but I don't really have much hauling/trading experience and don't know what to check out.

Edit: yeah, see above!

I'm gonna need to outfit a long ranged ship for some of these Sothis runs I keep hearing about...

What's the cheapest ship to do this in? I'm running a Diamondback Scout at the moment but I'm not particularly attached to it.

I'd suggest a 15mil fit Asp Explorer like this for this run. I like running advanced discovery scanners for the extra exploration data for selling at sothis / an engineer for rep.
https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0pdtdFfliddsnf5------0000--0504022t43012f.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==

It will pay for itself in one run, the reasons why the asp X is awesome for this are pretty obvious lol, dat jump range and decent cargo space.

But if you're strapped for cash Veritigo_X you can use a Cobra Mk4 fit like this for the first few runs, costs 2.8mil to fit, 4.5mil if you wanna fit a maxed out discovery scanner
https://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iv/0p8tdFalddesdf4-----00000303030302432o2h.Iw18SQ==.Aw18SQ==

A Type-6 works much better though for 3.3mil.
https://coriolis.io/outfit/type_6_transporter/0p0tdFal8d8s8f4--00--04040303432o2h.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

ASP and Python are the best.

Conda can work but a lot of the missions are to outposts so it's a no go.

To my knowledge a Python is the larges cargo ship that can land at outpost.

This is the Python I've been using for my runs. Though I have a level 4 FSD mod on mine for better range.

Hmm, I'll need to check but I can probably afford that Asp after I sell my Scout. Insurance is another matter, but it might be fun to live on the edge during the run. I want to stop living that struggle life and this might be my chance.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Hmm, I'll need to check but I can probably afford that Asp after I sell my Scout. Insurance is another matter, but it might be fun to live on the edge during the run. I want to stop living that struggle life and this might be my chance.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I updated the post with a much cheaper fit if you're not sure.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iv/0p8tdFalddesdf4-----00000303030302432o2h.Iw18SQ==.Aw18SQ==

2.8mil for 72 max cargo, and a pretty functional jump range, with 72 max cargo you'll probably only be able to make 10mil per run though so it's definitely a stepping stone more than anything.

Rutti

I have purchased and outfitted my tradeconda! Now I can really haul cargo. It's feels pretty sluggish tho. I love that there are engine jets even when you just pitch down.

I updated the post with a much cheaper fit if you're not sure.

2.8mil for 72 max cargo, and a pretty functional jump range, with 72 max cargo you'll probably only be able to make 10mil per run though so it's definitely a stepping stone more than anything.

There was something nice in the idea of putting all my money into one shot at making it, but this is probably a safer idea that doesn't have a chance of me ending up pissed off. Thanks again, after this weekend I'm gonna be rich!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'd suggest a 15mil fit Asp Explorer like this for this run. I like running advanced discovery scanners for the extra exploration data for selling at sothis / an engineer for rep.
https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0pdtdFfliddsnf5------0000--0504022t43012f.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==

It will pay for itself in one run, the reasons why the asp X is awesome for this are pretty obvious lol, dat jump range and decent cargo space.

ASP and Python are the best.

Excellent. I miss flying an Asp. Thank you!

golem

Also going to note if this is your first time flying pure cargo without guns just submit to interdictions and boost/fsd away

Did a run earlier with the Conda, 55mil in the bank!

Voice acting training mission. As the comments note, having some voice acting in the game is great. Given how procedural it is, it is unrealistic to expect it on a wide scale, but it might be nice to have for Engineers. I love how your AI pilots have their own voices, too.

An outpost in a planetary ring?! Bring that into the game world!

Edit:

This was posted in the beta patch notes:

- Fix error in ship delivery calculation – it should be a linear association with distance, not exponential! (May still need further balancing)

What's the new cost/time for a Jaques station transfer?

Volimar

Noob question, but does it for sure give like 10x more reputation to donate 400,000 credits than to donate 40,000? Asking because both say they give a medium increase so I don't want to be giving way more money than I need to if they give the same rep.

Anyone know the answer on this?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I've been flying my FdL for a little over a day and I already miss having a courier.

What is it about Gutamaya ships that makes them such a dream to fly!!??

Grief.exe

Hopefully we get a combat CG this week to mix things up. Got enough credits for a fully loaded Vulture build I'd like to try out.

Also going to note if this is your first time flying pure cargo without guns just submit to interdictions and boost/fsd away

Did a run earlier with the Conda, 55mil in the bank!

55 million in a conda?

picture-15.png

Volimar

I'm hoping for a combat CG too.

For my Sothis runs I always start off so good, turning down the less profitable missions to stack more and more. A half hour later of back and forth and I'm just begging for enough cargo to fill my hold. A lack of patience is the boss enemy of this game.

Grief.exe

I just noticed the global rewards section of the month long CG includes how many stations are going to be built between the bubble and Colonia. Now it lists 3 stations and that will continue to increase as the tiers progress.

I'm hoping for a combat CG too.

For my Sothis runs I always start off so good, turning down the less profitable missions to stack more and more. A half hour later of back and forth and I'm just begging for enough cargo to fill my hold. A lack of patience is the boss enemy of this game.

Now you see why I reload the board rather than flying back and fourth. Breaks up the monotony when I can alt-tab into a browser than constantly flying back and forth.

Edit: you know you talk too much politics online when your phone autocorrects alt-tab to alt-right.

golem

Haha same here, dont want to sit around all day loading into new games.

Bubba77

Nice! Just finished my first and I banked $21 mil. The thirst is real now.

Im just about done ranking everyone in Sothis to allied so getting ready for first run. But for whatever reason I cant buy cargo containers that will get me over 88 slots. What am I doing wrong? Do i have too much mass on something else maybe? I am pretty light with no weapons and a lot of d rated stuff.

I just noticed the global rewards section of the month long CG includes how many stations are going to be built between the bubble and Colonia. Now it lists 3 stations and that will continue to increase as the tiers progress.

If they hit tier 6 (Which I don't see why they wouldn't, this one lasts a weeks longer than most CGs) it'll put a station approx ever 3500-3600 LY on the way to Colonia.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Big thread sorry if this was covered. I was a huge fan of Wing Commander (Snes) and Starlancer (Dreamcast) is this somewhat like that? I'd be playing on Xbox One if that makes a dif.

Thanks GAF!

The Cowboy

Bloody RNG crap engineers.

Had a level 4 Increase FSD range mod on my python and i managed to source up enough mats to have 6 attempts at the level 5 mods, every single attempt bar 1 rolled worse than the level 4 mod and the 1 that was better was a 0.7% increase.

What a load of crap :(
Anyone know the answer on this?
I'm pretty sure its the same amount of rep no matter how much the donation is, as such i never donate if its over 100k.

Top Bottom