• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Can't lie, after seeing this and other screenshots from the beta I was expecting something a bit more grand out of "volcanism".

Not all volcanism is Mt. Saint Helens, Kilauea or Krakatoa.

I expect we'll see some larger stuff but things like this are great. Look at the size of that compared to the SRV, it's gotta be shooting at least 100+ ft in the air.

Not much different than Old Faithful.

Federal assault Ship. The only combat ship you'll ever need.

Just wish FD would make some paint jobs for it.

I think that will be my next combat ship. The Vultures spiritual big bro.

Can't lie, after seeing this and other screenshots from the beta I was expecting something a bit more grand out of "volcanism".

I believe Branden said they're starting withthis smaller stuff but will eventually have the larger ones.

Grief.exe

Federal assault Ship. The only combat ship you'll ever need.

Just wish FD would make some paint jobs for it.

I've been super excited to try out a FAS, it looks phenomenal and definitely one of the top PVE/PVP fighting ships. It's so expensive though for a fully outfitted kit.

Will have to wait until I have a bit more in my pocket.

Some of the most exciting volcanism in the solar system isn't overt massive volcanos, but small geysers. This represents warmth and nutrients being shot into the atmosphere/water, which means a higher possibility for life.

Volimar

Betelgeuse, Rigel, and now Antares. I love supergiants.

pFrgyuk.jpg

SmartBase

Not all volcanism is Mt. Saint Helens, Kilauea or Krakatoa.

I expect we'll see some larger stuff but things like this are great. Look at the size of that compared to the SRV, it's gotta be shooting at least 100+ ft in the air.

Not much different than Old Faithful.

I've been super excited to try out a FAS, it looks phenomenal and definitely one of the top PVE/PVP fighting ships. It's so expensive though for a fully outfitted kit.

Will have to wait until I have a bit more in my pocket.

Some of the most exciting volcanism in the solar system isn't overt massive volcanos, but small geysers. This represents warmth and nutrients being shot into the atmosphere/water, which means a higher possibility for life.

I know it's probably more akin to how real life geysers and similar geological structures would work but considering it took them this long to include them I thought we'd see a bigger range of features.

I believe Branden said they're starting withthis smaller stuff but will eventually have the larger ones.

Frontier's "list" must need its own data centre at this point.

The Beluga is gorgeous and sooo huge. I'm thinking about it as an excuse to improve my exploration ranking. What I should do is work on my combat ranking. I've been Deadly for like 6 months, maybe longer, but I haven't played as much recently and when I have, it's been working with engineers or assassination missions. I should be Elite by now.

golem

Big thread sorry if this was covered. I was a huge fan of Wing Commander (Snes) and Starlancer (Dreamcast) is this somewhat like that? I'd be playing on Xbox One if that makes a dif.

Thanks GAF!

Hmm, this is more like Freelancer if you've ever played that. Less storyline (or pretty much none at all) but more of a simulation of the galaxy/factions/trading/discovery etc.

For a more story based approached you'll probably want to check out Star Citizen and get a PC
in the next few years...
(from the guy who made Wing Commander and Starlancer): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l-epO6oUHE

Both approaches have their merit though and a number of people here play on Xbox iirc

vector824

Im just about done ranking everyone in Sothis to allied so getting ready for first run. But for whatever reason I cant buy cargo containers that will get me over 88 slots. What am I doing wrong? Do i have too much mass on something else maybe? I am pretty light with no weapons and a lot of d rated stuff.

Sorry if I'm late responding, make sure you check your top slot (6) and that it has the 64T cargo hold and that the second slot (5) has the 32 ton. I have mine set up like this: AspX

You can run no shields and no discovery scanner and take another 10 tons but I don't like risking it... my docking can get out of hand sometimes. I have 3A shields because it's only a 0.3ly difference and lord knows I need the extra protection.

Bubba77

Sorry if I'm late responding, make sure you check your top slot (6) and that it has the 64T cargo hold and that the second slot (5) has the 32 ton. I have mine set up like this: AspX

You can run no shields and no discovery scanner and take another 10 tons but I don't like risking it... my docking can get out of hand sometimes. I have 3A shields because it's only a 0.3ly difference and lord knows I need the extra protection.

I finally figured that out tonight. Didnt know which slot mattered. Now have 112 cargo space

I'm really loving Beta 2.2 so far. It's the best beta so far IMO, way better than 2.1 was.

I took some nice pics of my fighter with my Anaconda in the background and a picture of a white dwarf. White dwarf stars are incredible. I can only imagine what other stellar bodies are going to look like once they get a makeover. Imagine what the new and improved black holes will be like *drools*

White dwarf
xNpFmCR.jpg

yTsMYkb.jpg

GUe6osM.jpg

Imperial Fighter
1AIWJNe.jpg

Flying my F63 Condor through a canyon on Europa
lHPlLOr.jpg

Thought I wouldn't be interested in ship launched fighters at all, but there's something about flying around with an AI buddy that really works well. Will be enjoying this a lot when it goes live, might even end up actually using my T9 :O

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Thought I wouldn't be interested in ship launched fighters at all, but there's something about flying around with an AI buddy that really works well. Will be enjoying this a lot when it goes live, might even end up actually using my T9 :O

Agreed. I’ve been exploring in an Asp for two years now and I’ve never felt the urge to upgrade to the Anaconda yet. I mean sure it gets a better jump range but that limited view out the cockpit would just annoy me while exploring. However, carrying a fighter to zip around planet surfaces and do scenic flybys of your ship out and about does sound like fun. I may have to grind some credits and finally get myself an Anaconda….

Volimar

That's good news. Fighters should be able to pack a punch. The only problem is that condas and corvettes especially have such a hard time maneuvering in combat already that these nimble little things have the potential to be a real pain. They may end up having to rely on their own fighters.

Widge

Nice I'm glad they're buffing fighters.

I really hope it gets to the point where if a ship launches fighters you'll feel scared.

It also lends a bit of validity to the lower scale ships. That they're not just something to jump through on your way to the mega million ships.

If, as mentioned earlier in the thread, Wingman AI comes in. Flying as a squad of smaller ships would be an amazing way to explore the galaxy. Also if they managed to get some dynamic voice acting in there.

Balancing around a single fighter will be interesting. I wonder where a single fighter will end up compared to say a Viper. I still hope someday they allow us to fly our fighters as SRV alternatives on planet surfaces, where we dismiss our ship in the same way but we'll see. Every excuse they can make to flying small, fast and maneuverable ships in interesting environments would be good.

Yeah, it wasn't until I played in VR that I could truly appreciate just how huge EVERYTHING is in Elite. The stations are monstrous.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah I know what you mean about smaller scale ships feeling like they need validation. They have their place as large ship harassers because they should in theory be able to comfortably out turn and stay behind ships like the conda.

For example you have the courier, sure other ships do more damage, but few of them have the ridiculous shield power to weight to speed ratio that the courier does. Viper 3's that are A rated are also damn functional fighters. The vulture is also a fantastic ship for hunting down anacondas and corvettes. these ships can out turn large while inflicting decent damage.

Then comes the medium sized ships like the python, Fer-de-Lance and FAS which generally outclass the smaller ships due to straight up increases in fire power. Obviously each one of those is very different, but for example the FdL has shields that are effectively as strong if not stronger than the courier, speed and agility that's on par and more than 3 times the fire power.

It's like rock paper scissors were under certain circumstances paper can obliterate scissors.

100% for the star FSD jump is still too low IMO.

There is no point when a level 3 FSD injection is 100%.

While still a pain, it is easier now to get materials for level 3 jumps so going out of your way to fine a white dwarf or neutron star still seems like it isn't worth the time.

Yeah, it really should be more than anything you can naturally manufacture for your ship. Who knows? Maybe they'll bump it up again. Engineers had a ton of revisions, after all.

joecanada

Big thread sorry if this was covered. I was a huge fan of Wing Commander (Snes) and Starlancer (Dreamcast) is this somewhat like that? I'd be playing on Xbox One if that makes a dif.

Thanks GAF!

I would say the flying and fighting and mechanics are every bit as good. However keep in mind you are never going to be the big hero saving the Tiger Claw, or racking up 1000 kills on the leaderboard earning medals..... you are a random dude in an infinite universe just getting by like everyone else.

also you have to hyperjump to a system then supercruise to a location and stop there to do anything meaningful.... so you have to kind of enjoy the travel, which I feel is easily the worst part of the game. you will spend up to 50% or more of your time just travelling.... for some missions 80% is travel.

in fact now that I am thinking about it, the entire grind would be lessened substantially without all the steps needed to travel everywhere.

if you do get it I would recommend finding a nice home base type system, somewhere to get started with a nav beacon (not anarchy system), some resource extraction sites for bounty hunting, and good shipyard/outfitters. and all within close range of the sun. anything over 2000 ls will be a repetitive chore.

vector824

Thanks GAF!

I would say the flying and fighting and mechanics are every bit as good. However keep in mind you are never going to be the big hero saving the Tiger Claw, or racking up 1000 kills on the leaderboard earning medals..... you are a random dude in an infinite universe just getting by like everyone else.

also you have to hyperjump to a system then supercruise to a location and stop there to do anything meaningful.... so you have to kind of enjoy the travel, which I feel is easily the worst part of the game. you will spend up to 50% or more of your time just travelling.... for some missions 80% is travel.

in fact now that I am thinking about it, the entire grind would be lessened substantially without all the steps needed to travel everywhere.

if you do get it I would recommend finding a nice home base type system, somewhere to get started with a nav beacon (not anarchy system), some resource extraction sites for bounty hunting, and good shipyard/outfitters. and all within close range of the sun. anything over 2000 ls will be a repetitive chore.

All true. I do like the travel aspect though, the atmosphere is very relaxing until you get interdicted out of nowhere, fight or flight kicks in, then your heart rate jumps to 160 and next thing you know it's go time or die time. I love the visuals and just looking around. Though traveling within a solar system beyond 2000ls as you said does get boring after awhile. The game lives up to it's "Dangerous" name. It excels at the flying and fighting mechanic, the visuals are top notch, but it is definitely a grind.

It's a good idea to set up somewhere, build rep with the factions so they'll deal out higher missions. Elite:Dangerous Data Base is a great resource when looking for systems, stations and commodities.

joecanada

All true. I do like the travel aspect though, the atmosphere is very relaxing until you get interdicted out of nowhere, fight or flight kicks in, then your heart rate jumps to 160 and next thing you know it's go time or die time. I love the visuals and just looking around. Though traveling within a solar system beyond 2000ls as you said does get boring after awhile. The game lives up to it's "Dangerous" name. It excels at the flying and fighting mechanic, the visuals are top notch, but it is definitely a grind.

It's a good idea to set up somewhere, build rep with the factions so they'll deal out higher missions. Elite:Dangerous Data Base is a great resource when looking for systems, stations and commodities.

yeah I don't mean the travel is the worst in that they messed up the mechanics, it is done really well, just the supercruise is way too slow. like 1/2 as fast as it should be, or less. there should be a supercruise boost of some kind to get you to 1000 ls intervals.

Mengy

100% for the star FSD jump is still too low IMO.

There is no point when a level 3 FSD injection is 100%.

While still a pain, it is easier now to get materials for level 3 jumps so going out of your way to fine a white dwarf or neutron star still seems like it isn't worth the time.

There is still hope. Many in the Frontier team are beginning to see the potential of the 300% value. I am still hopeful that the community will win on this one.

Sibylus

Banned
I really hope your 300-350% comes through, Mengy. FD didn't realize the full implications of having an additional risk-reward mechanic with these sweetheart stars, but it's dawning on them I think.

Mengy

Me too. So far my poll shows that 85% of the community also wants it. :D

vector824

yeah I don't mean the travel is the worst in that they messed up the mechanics, it is done really well, just the supercruise is way too slow. like 1/2 as fast as it should be, or less. there should be a supercruise boost of some kind to get you to 1000 ls intervals.

I hear ya. And I agree, they definitely need the ability to hyperspace jump within solar systems. Some of these >100,000ls distances are absurd. I don't usually take missions beyond 10k ls because it's not worth my time.

joecanada

I hear ya. And I agree, they definitely need the ability to hyperspace jump within solar systems. Some of these >100,000ls distances are absurd. I don't usually take missions beyond 10k ls because it's not worth my time.

or even if you had more control, even a 20% boost to your acceleration / deceleration in supercruise would be excellent, letting you get around quicker and not have to sit there staring at the :07 timer for a minute straight on entry lol.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Just bought an Xbox Elite controller thinking I could use the paddles as extra buttons. Nope lol. Really nice controller but it doesn't do what I wanted, so back to normal X1controller :(

DrBo42

There is still hope. Many in the Frontier team are beginning to see the potential of the 300% value. I am still hopeful that the community will win on this one.
There might be hope. Initially the talk of adjustment ended in "not to the level of the initial amount" and now it's "1000x is extremely unlikely". We'll see.

Burny

It's essentially a poor man's jump network. Something a good number people from the community were vehemently against, when I created a poll. Griefers, hotspots, small galaxy and all the other usual pitiful excuses for being against any change to the 1984 formula. :p

SmartBase

It's essentially a poor man's jump network. Something a good number people from the community were vehemently against, when I created a poll. Griefers, hotspots, small galaxy and all the other usual pitiful excuses for being against any change to the 1984 formula. :p

I think it's more to do with most of the Elite community being straight up masochists, anything remotely fun or convenient gets shouted down until Frontier capitulates.

Top Bottom