• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

vector824

or even if you had more control, even a 20% boost to your acceleration / deceleration in supercruise would be excellent, letting you get around quicker and not have to sit there staring at the :07 timer for a minute straight on entry lol.

They adjusted SC in 2.2 but I'm not sure it's any faster. Here's hoping (fingers crossed). I actually have gotten into the habit of looking at the sliders on the hud and adjusting my throttle accordingly. I like to think I'm shaving a couple seconds by increasing it when I hit the optimal speed before the dropout is ready.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I keep trying out seeker missile racks and they're sooo much fun but their low ammo capacity makes it very annoying to use in haz RES bounty hunting.

I wish they had like 200 rounds or something

Grief.exe

There's the new community goal

QR0ALuH.jpg

joecanada

Is there still no new CG up?

I've been monitoring the cgs closely but for example the skimmer components one that just finished, the rewards weren't even high enough to drag me away from my regular scheduled money making scheme.

edit - also killed my first cmdr yesterday, felt bad :( he was farming same missions as me and just sort of appeared out of nowhere . since i have a massive bounty I just opened up thinking it was an npc bounty hunter, then I tried to apologize but I had already unloaded on him so he either was rage - filled or scared, I made a couple passes back and forth without firing but he just kept coming at me, so I had to finish him off.... :(

he was in a sidewinder lol.

Just bought an Xbox Elite controller thinking I could use the paddles as extra buttons. Nope lol. Really nice controller but it doesn't do what I wanted, so back to normal X1controller :(
I had dreams of using at least two of the paddles for vertical thrusters, but I've heard they're not that great either. Too bad. At the moment I've gotten good at using the sticks click-in for left and right thrusters, which seems to work well enough, but took some time getting good at.

You can really get a lot of functionality out of button combinations if you think about it creatively. I can zero out by clicking both sticks in, and I can get to 50% by depressing both the bumper and trigger with one finger (since the Xbox one controlller has a space to allow pressure on both).

I'm sure everyone has their own set-up that makes sense to them. The chatpad can help aswell.

Honestly sometimes I think we take modern controllers for granted, it's pretty impressive how far we have come from the days of digital d-pads.

Jedi2016

In regards to the jump issue, I think it should be based on risk/reward. Opportunities to get ridiculous jump upgrades, but at the cost of significant damage to your ship's internals. Not just a few percent, but like.. "Okay, you just jumped 250ly in one go... you need to stop for repairs RIGHT NOW or you're going to die" sort of thing. Put those AFM modules to good use. I barely used them at all on my last jaunt even with a few rounds of stupidity and getting cooked by Sag A*.

joecanada

I had dreams of using at least two of the paddles for vertical thrusters, but I've heard they're not that great either. Too bad. At the moment I've gotten good at using the sticks click-in for left and right thrusters, which seems to work well enough, but took some time getting good at.

You can really get a lot of functionality out of button combinations if you think about it creatively. I can zero out by clicking both sticks in, and I can get to 50% by depressing both the bumper and trigger with one finger (since the Xbox one controlller has a space to allow pressure on both).

I'm sure everyone has their own set-up that makes sense to them. The chatpad can help aswell.

Honestly sometimes I think we take modern controllers for granted, it's pretty impressive how far we have come from the days of digital d-pads.

I put thrusters all on R stick so pitch is left, right , thrusters are up , down and up right for forward , up left for back , down right for right and down left for left works great as all thrusters are on one stick

Burny

In regards to the jump issue, I think it should be based on risk/reward. Opportunities to get ridiculous jump upgrades, but at the cost of significant damage to your ship's internals. Not just a few percent, but like.. "Okay, you just jumped 250ly in one go... you need to stop for repairs RIGHT NOW or you're going to die" sort of thing. Put those AFM modules to good use. I barely used them at all on my last jaunt even with a few rounds of stupidity and getting cooked by Sag A*.

This is the typical risk reward design imagination in the Elite community I've come to positively loathe. 'Sure, you can have [convenient thing], but it' s oh-so-risky! The negative effects (preferably based on RNG to top it off) will make sure it's not convenient at all and you'll spend all the time you might have saved on countering those effects somehow.' Aka "planning ahead". Or: not counterable by any skill, other than knowing about side effects and investing the time and effort required to alternatively farm/grind/take detours/buy stuff etc..

By making supercharged jumps crippling to your internals after only a handful of them, they become about as useful as making them only as long as a small FSD injection. Not that some 1-5% damage to the FSD is not OK, but that's something you can live with and still use the feature. Stopping for repais after ONE jump? That's about the time investment it takes to collect the corresponding AFM refill. Which - who would've thought - is a task that takes more time than skill.

There's no risk here other than not knowing what you're doing because you haven't Wiki-ed all the required processes before. If you know what you're doing, it all comes donw to time investment, rather than skill.

Now that I come to think of it, supercharged jumps could be quiet cool, if there was a skill based mechanic involved, that allowed you to minimize the damage your internals are going to take during the jump. And if it's just hitting a single button at the right time. That is what I would call risk vs. reward, because there's an actual risk involved, rather than a zero sum tradeoff between time and convenience.

Edit 1001: Thinking of it even further, I would extend such a mechanic to all classes of stars, with smaller bonuses for the smaller ones. Or maybe make it only possible for the scoopable stars. E.g. make a fuel scoop requirement for supercharged jumps, let jumps be charged while fuel scooping very closely before the drop to normal flight and let a reaction based trigger mechanic (similar to the blue zone drop into normal flight) determine how much of a damage range your internals suffer. At least in my head, that's a win-win. For a start, travel gets speed up, if this mechanic does not get counterbalanced into obscurity by some... ahem... top-of-its-class Frontier game designer (replaceable with large parts of the community unfortunately). As a nice side effect: there'd be an actual skill and risk-reward based component to travelling at maximum efficiency. Not the monotonous, sleep-inducing slog that FSD-jumping across large distances is today.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
VICTORY!!!!!!!!!

Michael Brookes said:
Hi - another update on this. After reading the feedback and much discussion we're going to implement the following:

- White Dwarfs will confer a 50% boost
- Neutron stars will confer a 300% boost

We're hoping to squeeze this into the next beta update, which will be next week. If it doesn't make that build then it will be the next. Obviously we need you guys to test these changes and see how they play out.

Thanks!

Michael

OZ3Lkqw.gif

VICTORY!!!!!!!!!

OZ3Lkqw.gif

That's great. It adds some depth to exploration instead of a throw away feature which existence would be pointless. Mapping your route for long trips suddenly has a new consideration. This is some community pushback that I can get behind. I guess you have to take the good with the bad if you want the devs to listen to players.

DrBo42

They nerfed white dwarf down to 50% and gave neutron stars a laughable 300%? Man, that's not a victory. It's not worth the time.

All they did was turn this into a neutron star field gimmick and useless everywhere else. Pass.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Anyone got any ideas on how I can spice up my imp couriers weaponry?

I've been running 1 beam laser and 2 multicannons for a while and it's pretty damn effective, I was considering just running 3 multicannons so I can eternally do 4-0-2 distribution on power but the beam laser is so fun.

Dual beam lasers and 1 seeker missile rack was hilarious but it was also a total disaster for heat management and power planet draw, and the fact that I had to ditch all my shield cell banks to make it work.

joecanada

Anyone interested in searching the galaxy for a good money farming system(s)? Basically what you do is farm skimmer missions because they stack.... which is super efficient (and rare possibly I have heard bounty missions used to stack but no longer do).

What we need is a system at war with another system with consistent skimmer missions against nearby systems (skimmer or corporate strike missions), and the bases should be low security for obvious reasons (++ bases are bad because anacondas lol).

I have one currently in Naitis but I'm not recommending it because what happened was it went to a boom state and civil war which has changed all the base missions so the corporate strikes are few and far between AND also a different system allied with factions would be much better because you could also build rep (imperial or feds) very fast.

or if anyone knows of a potential system with lots of corporate strike missions let me know and I will check it out....

in case anyone wants to know how to do these:
1. take all the corporate strike missions for all the factions in a base (the more the better)
2. optional - reload game state (obviously not if you are against this).
3. get 10-20 missions total on a few bases.
4. go strike the skimmers at base one.
5. reload game state if you need more skimmers (again optional of course)
6. go to next base repeat.
7. go home OR for max efficiency just use a sidewinder and crash it intentionally and you will go back to home base with missions complete.
8. rinse and repeat.
9. warning you will be a straight up criminal and be bounty-hunted a lot. I have almost 100k in bounties on me now.

so the final tally is that you can grab 20 missions which range from 1 to 2 million each (max rep allied) and these can be completed in 30-60 minutes. However sometimes finding 20 is the hard part and I often leave with 10 or so.

also because this can be done in a sidewinder this is a great first step for new players.

I will post back if I find a new system with a good look. I did make 50 million though last week in the old system. with the missions drying up it was probably slightly less lucrative than Sothis runs but if you found the perfect system you could legitimately make 30-40 million per hour. and of course it is something new to do in the bubble as well.

Jedi2016

Seems like I'm right behind Mengy in trying to get stuff for my level 5 FSD upgrade. I'm down to hunting for Chemical Manipulators now, and I need a little more Arsenic so I can get a dozen or so rolls at Farseer.

Mr. Bad Example

Neo Member
I got impatient, so I sold off my Asp Explorer, then traded in my Python for an Anaconda. The handling is still taking some getting used to--it's a lot more truck-like than the Python, which I expected--but the cargo capacity is fantastic. I can now haul just over twice what I could before, and that's after sacrificing some space for a fuel scoop and docking computer. (I know, I know...but I just find manual docking so utterly tedious.)

Now I just need to do another Sothis run or two so I can, um...cover the cost of insurance on my new Anaconda. Oops.

Volimar

I got impatient, so I sold off my Asp Explorer, then traded in my Python for an Anaconda. The handling is still taking some getting used to--it's a lot more truck-like than the Python, which I expected--but the cargo capacity is fantastic. I can now haul just over twice what I could before, and that's after sacrificing some space for a fuel scoop and docking computer. (I know, I know...but I just find manual docking so utterly tedious.)

Now I just need to do another Sothis run or two so I can, um...cover the cost of insurance on my new Anaconda. Oops.

YOU BROKE THE RULE!!!

ViIS9Uq.gif

I'll never sell my aspX. It's great to take a break from the conda and go off into the expanse now and then.

Mr. Bad Example

Neo Member
YOU BROKE THE RULE!!!

I know! I feel terrible about it, but I'm already at Sothis right now, so within an hour or so I should be able to atone.

Edited to add: Got lucky and got a smuggling mission going right next door to Ceos. Between that and a slew of data delivery missions, I now have insurance and a little breathing room on top. Phew.

Edited to add: Got lucky and got a smuggling mission going right next door to Ceos. Between that and a slew of data delivery missions, I now have insurance and a little breathing room on top. Phew.

Don't rejoice until that mission is handed in. I had a $6 Million Sothis to Ceos smuggling mission that literally as I was approaching the mail slot (had already requested docking permission) I got a "Mission Critical Update" on that told me, "Sorry, we need those weapons at this other station 456 LY away."

Have never been so pissed off.

The Cowboy

Seems like I'm right behind Mengy in trying to get stuff for my level 5 FSD upgrade. I'm down to hunting for Chemical Manipulators now, and I need a little more Arsenic so I can get a dozen or so rolls at Farseer.
I got my arsenic from the planet surface on which Farseer Inc is located via srv, and i got a load of chem manipulators by going to an anarchy system (there's one close to deciat) and taking out t7/9's at the nav beacon.

My l5 fsd (I'm in a Python) is now at 47% optimised mass (which will do for now), I'm heading back to farseer Inc later to boost my dirty drive to l3 (I have 7 rolls) - my ship is 297ms normal and 390 boost on an l1.

Mr. Bad Example

Neo Member
Don't rejoice until that mission is handed in. I had a $6 Million Sothis to Ceos smuggling mission that literally as I was approaching the mail slot (had already requested docking permission) I got a "Mission Critical Update" on that told me, "Sorry, we need those weapons at this other station 456 LY away."

Have never been so pissed off.

I'm good, fortunately. Got to Ceos and turned the mission in with no problems. I would have been annoyed, too--I was having server connection problems to the point where I just handed those missions in and called it a night.

Volimar

So the FSD injection synthesis... Does it use a corresponding increased amount of fuel for the additional distance or does it use the same as a normal jump. Like if for example I zoned out and didn't mind my fuel gauge and now don't have enough fuel to make it to a scoopable star, can I use the fsd injection to make it the extra distance? It'd be nice to know I have that as an emergency option.

Don't lose time on this guy... He doesn't even park his ship himself.

lol

;)

Don't bully!

Hylian7

So after not having played for 2-3 months because Engineers left a sour taste, I'm going to give Guardians/Passengers a try.

But I try to upgrade for the beta and it just hangs on "Preparing for update", any solution to this?

Edit: Patience worked.

Volimar

So the FSD injection synthesis... Does it use a corresponding increased amount of fuel for the additional distance or does it use the same as a normal jump. Like if for example I zoned out and didn't mind my fuel gauge and now don't have enough fuel to make it to a scoopable star, can I use the fsd injection to make it the extra distance? It'd be nice to know I have that as an emergency option.

Okay so I just tested this and it gives you extra distance for the same fuel so it's handy to keep a FSD injection synthesis handy just in case you run low on fuel without noticing.

Dizzy-4U

I got impatient, so I sold off my Asp Explorer, then traded in my Python for an Anaconda. The handling is still taking some getting used to--it's a lot more truck-like than the Python, which I expected--but the cargo capacity is fantastic. I can now haul just over twice what I could before, and that's after sacrificing some space for a fuel scoop and docking computer. (I know, I know...but I just find manual docking so utterly tedious.
Never used the docking computer until yesterday when I decided to replace the useless discovery scanner (for Sothis runs anyway) for one.

Honestly, one of the best QoL things I've done. For the Sothis runs, sometimes you have like 10+ destinations in the bubble and it can consume a lot of extra time if you are on a big ship and still getting the hang if it's size when docking. I now can just chill and look at the scenery.

The Cowboy

Man these Sothis/Ceos runs are great.

I'm not doing the long range missions and just sticking with the Sothis to Ceos missions in order to get my Federation rank up (as its so easy to stack data missions that give Fed rank), in around 30 minutes I've had 2x 5.5million snake in missions, 1x 3.3million snake in mission and just now i got a 7.5 million snake in mission.

Over 20 million in just shy of 30 minutes just back and forth from system to system (and only 40% more to get my Sol permit :D).

StonedRider

Never used the docking computer until yesterday when I decided to replace the useless discovery scanner (for Sothis runs anyway) for one.

Honestly, one of the best QoL things I've done. For the Sothis runs, sometimes you have like 10+ destinations in the bubble and it can consume a lot of extra time if you are on a big ship and still getting the hang if it's size when docking. I now can just chill and look at the scenery.

I find docking very fun and will never use docking computer for this. Expecially in big ships.

Decided to do some Sothis runs too looking on you guys. Glad there is no missions which fail when you got scanned by authority ships anymore. It was pain in the ass, when you lose 20 millions worth of missions after allowing one scan, which you can not deny after being interdicted by authority.

I use my Asp with upgraded FSD and it takes 11-12 jumps to Sothis from the bubble. It can haul 84 tons of cargo (I left A5 scoop on it, do not like to waste time with A3 one), less than Python, but I complete one full run within 50 minutes. It includes reloading for missions, travelling to Ceos and back and travelling to bubble and returning back to Sothis. I usually accept mission if payment exceeds 200,000 credits per ton

Another benefit of Sothis runs is I can collect Modular Terminals for Qwent while doing it. I already donated 16, 9 left.

Btw, some time ago I asked how to get mission to get invitation from Qwent. Just sit in Sirius and keep reloading mission screen (solo-open as usual) and if you are friendly or allied with Sirius Corporation the mission pops up eventually .

Top Bottom