• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Use eddb.io to search for stations that sell the modules and ships you need.

Filter the Li Yong-Rui under the powers menu. They provide a 15% ship and module discount I believe.

You're the bomb my man.

Ok, last question (this is what happens when you read gaf on the toilet). About how much are you getting on a Conda run?

Grief.exe

You're the bomb my man.

Ok, last question (this is what happens when you read gaf on the toilet). About how much are you getting on a Conda run?

I've actually never done a Sothis/Ceos run in the Anaconda. I would imagine well over 100 million in just running goods back to the bubble alone, not including snaking and data missions between Sothis/Ceos.

The problem is that stacking the highest value missions would be tedious to acquire as well as deliver.

I've actually never done a Sothis/Ceos run in the Anaconda. I would imagine well over 100 million in just running goods back to the bubble alone, not including snaking and data missions between Sothis/Ceos.

The problem is that stacking the highest value missions would be tedious to acquire as well as deliver.

I see what you mean, but it could also mean you could be less picky with the cargo and make the whole process faster. Interesting shit. Going to upgrade to a Conda quick.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Guys I'm so conflicted. I'm about 11,000lys from the bubble on my way to Sagittarius A. I want to go back home and get in on all these CG I've been missing, and do more of the Sothis runs. But, I'm almost half way there to the center of the Galaxy and I really want to see what's it's like to view the stars from within all that pinkish gas.

By this video it looks like passenger runs from around Jaques to the bubble will be the new Sothis run.

You know what? This is really interesting. I could see myself doing this once. Just once.

Still, these sorts of missions will be for those who enjoy exploration in its current iteration and the journey itself in the first place. It's an extraordinarily passive way to play a game that has the word "DANGEROUS" in its title and as someone who is here largely for the combat, "just once" is an accurate assessment for my interest in such a mode.

You'll mostly likely still be able to make this kind of money in a fraction of the time it would take to shuttle passengers 22,000 LY in a Beluga. Even if trading went back to the days where $15-$20 million/hour was the best you could hope for with a dedicated trade Conda/Cutter, that would SURELY be faster than doing a 22,000LY passenger run. As such, it would never replace smuggling, long range trading (both of which were popular because of their efficiency) or even regular trading. It will be good for people who want to check off that Exploration "Elite" box and/or those who have no interest in combat.

Can you even dock a Conda at Sothis/Ceos?

Both systems have regular stations for all ship sizes.

vector824

Feel like I'm watching the Planet Earth series listening to this guy. All Elite Dangerous videos should be narrated by him.

Just thought of this. Can you even dock a Conda at Sothis/Ceos?

He alone is the reason I got this game. His videos are THE BEST about E:D. I watched hours of them to make sure that I would enjoy the game, definitely sold me. He even has his own station named after him in the Maia system named Obsidian Orbital.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Hey mind if some riff raff moves in too ? Lol. Sounds like a good place

How you get rid of dormant bounties again. I have like 200k on me and in one system the stations fire on me on sight lol. Do i have to get scanned first then jump out then pay? But what if I can't land ?

All the riff raff is welcome!

From what I remember you have to jump out of a system for the bounty to become a fine then jump in, silent run into the station to avoid scans and pay it off.

He alone is the reason I got this game. His videos are THE BEST about E:D.

The best? This is not how you spell Isonia!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUbV3Zq62BA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaLJTGHkj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLXzEQyacMw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-dHqX5cFB0

His stuff are like movies. lol

Also, be sure to take in the VR classic, set to the Interstellar soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djy83O0nfds

If this doesn't motivate, nothing will. Maybe the single greatest ED video ever made, tbqh. And completely on accident.

Oh yes. I got my Python, did two Sothis runs, sold it, and upgraded to the Anaconda. Higher jump range and double the cargo.

Here's a build. I currently have the exact same build except with a 5A shield generator. I've been interdicted several times and never lost the first ring of my shields, 5A shields are overkill.

Right now I have about 20mil in assets/cash. Should I stick with my Asp or would it be better to get something like a Type 7 once I have some more cash?

Yeah but the risk is sooooooo worth it! What shields are you running? I put 3A on mine.

3D. It's terrifying, haha.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Still, these sorts of missions will be for those who enjoy exploration in its current iteration and the journey itself in the first place. It's an extraordinarily passive way to play a game that has the word "DANGEROUS" in its title and as someone who is here largely for the combat, "just once" is an accurate assessment for my interest in such a mode.

You'll mostly likely still be able to make this kind of money in a fraction of the time it would take to shuttle passengers 22,000 LY in a Beluga. Even if trading went back to the days where $15-$20 million/hour was the best you could hope for with a dedicated trade Conda/Cutter, that would SURELY be faster than doing a 22,000LY passenger run. As such, it would never replace smuggling, long range trading (both of which were popular because of their efficiency) or even regular trading. It will be good for people who want to check off that Exploration "Elite" box and/or those who have no interest in combat.

Yep, pretty much. For myself though, as an exploration commander 90% of my playing time, these passenger missions actually sound rather nice. Some of the destination beacons are set in very scenic and out of the way places, which gives explorers a great reason to trod off around the galaxy. My biggest issue is that only certain ships will really be able to put this passenger mechanic to good use. Without smaller cabin classes, a lot of ships just won't be able to do them.

I keep saying it's time for me to buy my first Anaconda, and I feel like 2.2 is going to force me to in several ways.

Yea a high jump range Anaconda would seem to be ideal for Passenger stuff. But it really isn't a good ship for enjoying the view IMO. Then again, you've seen a lot of the cosmos so not having such a great view probably isn't that big a deal for you anymore. :D

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yea a high jump range Anaconda would seem to be ideal for Passenger stuff. But it really isn't a good ship for enjoying the view IMO. Then again, you've seen a lot of the cosmos so not having such a great view probably isn't that big a deal for you anymore. :D

Sure the view sucks from the Anaconda cockpit, but that's why you bring one fighter along for the ride!!!

Jedi2016

Need a lot more money before I'm ready for a 'Conda.

How's trading these days? I just bought a Type-7 for no real reason, kitted it out with nothing but cargo racks. Probably use it more for CGs than anything else, but I tend to make more money faster on the combat CGs than the trading ones.

Jedi2016

You can monitor its status from anywhere, but I think you have to go back to the station that gave it out in order to redeem it. I don't think there's an expiration date, but I've never pushed it more than a few weeks after the CG ended.

Grief.exe

Saw a Capital Ship

29809826462_3b320e6c57_o.jpg

29923919735_73c83c15c5_o.jpg

You can monitor its status from anywhere, but I think you have to go back to the station that gave it out in order to redeem it. I don't think there's an expiration date, but I've never pushed it more than a few weeks after the CG ended.

That's longer than I'm planning on pushing it anyways, so I should be fine.

Corpekata

Banned
Anyone played this with the Thrustmaster T. Flight Hotas 4?

I have a giftcard for Dell after a promo they had on a cheap TV I bought and was browsing and had the bright idea that I should get a joystick, hotas, or wheel because I'd been putting off some games because I wanted to get one, but always kinda balked at taking the plunge. Now that I've got these funds I feel like one of these accessories. It's the one that's got all the PS4 branding on it, but it works on PC obviously.

I don't have much experience with HOTAS or joysticks at all really. Would something like this work well and cover all the bases as far as control goes? This is the item in question: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PJ68BK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Obviously there are better ones out there, but with the giftcard burning a hole in my back pocket (and the only other one at Dell being 400 dollars) I'm wondering if this is a solid investment.

I understand it's basicaly a T Flight Hotas X from reviews, with a 20 dollar extra charge for PS4 compatibility / branding, so I guess if you have experience with the Hotas X I would be interested too.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I understand it's basicaly a T Flight Hotas X from reviews, with a 20 dollar extra charge for PS4 compatibility / branding, so I guess if you have experience with the Hotas X I would be interested too.

I use a HOTAS X, I love it. The build quality is solid for the price and it's got just enough buttons to let you get creative with button combos to bind all the important actions, but being able to have full control of the throttle axis, yaw, pitch, roll and lateral thrust without having to do any crazy hand acrobatics is absolutely awesome.

I recorded a video of what it's like to fly with it in combat if you wanna check it out. It just shows gameplay but it should give you an idea of how precise using the stick is.

That's what I'm using right now. It's not bad for an entry level hotas IMO. However, the stick creaks. My friend uses the same stick and says the same thing. (Edited: also, I think the base for the throttle is too light. It's moves on me in certain situations and breaks the immersion as I have to readjust it)

Thrustmaster is coming out with a new stick on 10/1. Thinking about upgrading to it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KCHPRXA/

Tried the Cutter in the Beta today. Damn, now I want one :D
Same with the Beluga Liner! Too bad you have to sacrifice a LVL6 internal to have a fighter bay and shields :( Other than that it's kinda awesome. With a nice roll you can get it up to over 30 LY jump range. Not too bad. And it's so nimble for its size, wow

Same with the Beluga Liner! Too bad you have to sacrifice a LVL6 internal to have a fighter bay and shields :( Other than that it's kinda awesome. With a nice roll you can get it up to over 30 LY jump range. Not too bad. And it's so nimble for its size, wow
Tip: don't put a fighter bay on a Beluga. Not worth.

Grief.exe

I have a giftcard for Dell after a promo they had on a cheap TV I bought and was browsing and had the bright idea that I should get a joystick, hotas, or wheel because I'd been putting off some games because I wanted to get one, but always kinda balked at taking the plunge. Now that I've got these funds I feel like one of these accessories. It's the one that's got all the PS4 branding on it, but it works on PC obviously.

I don't have much experience with HOTAS or joysticks at all really. Would something like this work well and cover all the bases as far as control goes? This is the item in question: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PJ68BK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Obviously there are better ones out there, but with the giftcard burning a hole in my back pocket (and the only other one at Dell being 400 dollars) I'm wondering if this is a solid investment.

The T Flight Hotas X seems to show up frequently on forums and publications as a solid stick for the price. I'd also recommend taking a look at the CH HOTAS, thought it may be a bit out of your price range, the internals are all metal, which is a rarity these days. Though it might not be in your use case as there's a possibility it's not available on your store.

It's my opinion that HOTAS control makes these type of games so much more immersive and fun to play. I can' t see myself playing this game with a M/KB or a controller.

vector824

That's what I'm using right now. It's not bad for an entry level hotas IMO. However, the stick creaks. My friend uses the same stick and says the same thing. (Edited: also, I think the base for the throttle is too light. It's moves on me in certain situations and breaks the immersion as I have to readjust it)

Thrustmaster is coming out with a new stick on 10/1. Thinking about upgrading to it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KCHPRXA/

That looks nice. I already have a joystick and you can buy that throttle separately! The only other one I could find was $130.

https://amzn.com/B01L28LVUG

Mr. Bad Example

Neo Member

Just as a data point, I got around 40 million on my first Sothis Anaconda run, but that was with getting a little impatient and taking some of the larger-sized hauls. (What was pretty sweet, though, was getting three deliveries all for the same station. I think I made fully half of the profit on that trip from that one stop.)

kennah

Probably a dumb question, can I just log out in the middle of space and be ok? Also do I need to do anything special to claim an unclaimed world?

Jedi2016

Probably a dumb question, can I just log out in the middle of space and be ok? Also do I need to do anything special to claim an unclaimed world?
Yes.

Undiscovered planets/stars will be marked as yours once you turn in the exploration data at station.

Volimar

You'll be fine logging out in the middle of space. To claim an unclaimed world you have to head over to it and scan it which will happen automatically when you get close enough. Then you have to head to a station that has universal cartographic and sell your data there. The world isn't claimed until you sell the data. Good luck!

kennah

So, I just run the Discovery Scanner, then go up close and scan things with no claimed names? Cool, I'm pretty far afield, but everything seems to be discovered so far.

joecanada

All the riff raff is welcome!

From what I remember you have to jump out of a system for the bounty to become a fine then jump in, silent run into the station to avoid scans and pay it off.

Yes thanks i just watched a YouTubevid and it appears the only way to clear the bounty issneak inside the hostile base then leave and get scanned and killed .... going to be tough

Can't you accept a cg completion from anywhere?

Idont think so the mission complete screen tells you to go back to collect

So I wasn't happy with just having my HOTAS setting on my desk.

As a quick fix a couple months ago I just got some drawer rollers and made to slid out platforms on my desk to set them on. This worked alright but it had many issues and I wasn't a big fan of it.

I've always wanted some MonsterTech HOTAS Stands but they are $96 a piece and for a full set + shipping to the US it's $242.27 so there isn't any way that's gonna happen.

I decided to make my own and do it a hell of a lot cheaper. For around $60 in parts (I'm only in it about $45 since I already had the wood, screws, tools, etc... I only really had to buy the clamps and some specific metal bits) you can build this beauty.

c5TaWWy.jpg

cAOxcrd.jpg

J5svfTT.jpg

Setting Position
dkHaL84.jpg

Standing Position
31Mtowt.jpg
I've made some minor improvements to the setup.

I went and got some sticky backed foam from a hobby shop to better protect my desk surface.

I also got some cable clamps to keep the USB cables tucked away nicely and I hot glued a powered USB 3.0 hub below my desk so I can now plug in the HOTAS without cables going all over the place.

I'll try to get some pictures of the setup tmrw.

I'm not friendly with any factions, will this still work for me?

I have 220 million, thinking about buying the Anaconda and upping my Sothis run game

I'm in a similar situation. I have about 240 Million and am debating on getting a Conda for Sothis runs or just sticking with my Python for the moment.

Top Bottom