• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Effect

Pulled the trigger on buying a HOTAS. Went with the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas 4 Flight Stick for PS4 & PC. I figure between it and the HOTAS X I might as well go with the one that has the least amount of issues regarding the deadzone. If I don't have to worry about running other software in the background in order for it to work well with Elite Dangerous the extra money will be worth it I guess. If not then back to Amazon it will go and I'll stick with my keyboard and joystick combo. Also the 4 seems to have the ability to upgrade the firmware and plug in pedals. Not interested in using that yet but having the option is still good.

I was wondering if I should wait for the ED branded one coming but that's $130. I guess if I fall in love with this HOTAS 4 I could send it back and then wait a few weeks for that other one to come out.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I made a quick exploration trip some 500ly away from the bubble in the middle of some boring nowhere region, mostly to get my dirty footprint on the galactic map. Got a couple of dozen first discoveries with three systems. It was kind of fun and got me to top 50% on the exploration CG, but I doubt I'll be making any longer trips without some added incentive or goal. Tourist trips look like a good addition, but exploration needs something more.

Exploration isn't for everyone. Myself, for the exploration CG I made a quick run out past Bernard's Loop to the Crab Pulsar Nebula on the galactic rim, then scooted over to the Hear & Soul Nebula just because I hadn't been there in awhile, and then came back to the CG station. Did that 15,000 ly round trip in about four days. But then, I love exploring, so....

Got me well into the 10% bracket for the CG too, that's probably where I'll stay seeing how it's over tonight.

ENASRfc.png

Grade 5 FSD get! Not too bad for the Conda I think.

That's not bad, although my lowly Asp has you beat:

:D

joecanada

Thanks for all that. That seems like a lot of work! My anaconda isnt really outfitted for combat right now so I guess Ill need to upgrade. Also I think I need an elite break. Ive been playing non stop in my grind for the anaconda. Now that I have it its almost anticlimatic!

edit (for farseer) I watched a great youtube vid on upgrading, basically if you haven't started (say you are at level 1) then the easiest is to start by getting a frame shift drive scanner and just use it for a week or so on your regular travels, that's what I did. This will get you all the level 1 requirements

Then along with turning in any cartographics, just do level 1 upgrades fsd jump range. (yep about 50 of them) to get to level 4, its actually very easy just did it last night. now I'm at level 4 and I will just start from there.

and I already have the scans needed for level 4, 5 so all I need to do is buy mats and mine for a bit.

By the way anyone see the pic online of the dude cargo scooping the surface of the planet?? hilarious its titled "no landing, materials get" or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCdbKDfnkA0

Beta patch 4: fighter boost speeds

So I went to test the new buffed boost speeds for the fighters.
Holy Braben.
  • F63 Condor - 555 m/s - Controlable turning for most pilots
  • GU-97 - 535 m/s - Really fast turning, but requires skill
  • Taipan - 492 m/s - Slightly slower turning, but pretty tough when it comes to collisions.
I have a feeling this could make for some pretty interesting races. :D

Damn, just closed the game and Oculus Home. Now I need to try the Imperial Fighter lol.

BTW: I fucking hate the malfunctioning of modules of my FAS. I don't get it. As soon as my shields are down my Lasers are under fire and start malfunctioning. Same with the power distributor. It's so annoying :(

On the patch notes (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/293864-Beta-2-2-Update-4):
- Increased size of internal fuel tank for Beluga and Orca
Beluga went from 5C (32T) to 7C (128T)!

Oh, and all engineers need fish now, they all are unlocked (besides the need for fish)

Grief.exe

At least Frontier employees get paid decently for that update. Squad...not so much. At this point I can't support that company by even launching that game.

You're probably right, they even removed the game from SteamSpy to obfuscate the data from their employees. Such a great game though.

That's awesome. Getting an Asp por exploration is next on my list. Curious, with a jump range like yours, how long does it take to get to Jaques?

Napkin math here but in my 33 LY ASP I could do about 1,000 LY every 30 minutes or so. If I was having good luck with scooping and jumps 2,000 LY an hour was doable.

At 50 LY a jump, that's 20 jumps per 1,000 LY so averaging 40-60 seconds per jump, that's 2,000 LY every say 45 minutes.

Jaques is 22,000 LY away so you could do it in a little over 8 hours.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Napkin math here but in my 33 LY ASP I could do about 1,000 LY every 30 minutes or so. If I was having good luck with scooping and jumps 2,000 LY an hour was doable.

At 50 LY a jump, that's 20 jumps per 1,000 LY so averaging 40-60 seconds per jump, that's 2,000 LY every say 45 minutes.

Man, I didn't realize how far it was. Crazy!

Dizzy-4U

Looks like I'll be listening to a lot of podcasts. Not complaining, it's great that the galaxy is that massive.

Jedi2016

Depends on how you go about it. My routine when I'm exploring gets me about 1000ly in an hour. I'm not trying to get anywhere fast, I'm not one of the guys that's counting seconds to try to get to the next system as fast as my FSD can cool down. I came by Jaques from the other direction on my way home, and I doubt I'll ever see it again.

I've done most of a season of SHIELD in the last week of playing.

I'm pretty sure that if not for ED, I would have never watched:

Arrow
Flash
American Crime
Arrested Development
Bloodline
Marcelle
River
The Killing
The 100
Helix
Knights of Sidonia

and probably several others that I can't think of.

Volimar

You should check out iZombie.

Also, when they say Dangerous Anaconda they're not kidding. My Conda shreds almost anything but this enemy Conda tore through me like tissue paper. Ouch.

Mengy

That's awesome. Getting an Asp por exploration is next on my list. Curious, with a jump range like yours, how long does it take to get to Jaques?

If I push it, and by that I mean simply honk & jump as soon as I can, continually, my 51ly Asp can make about 3200 lys/hr in good star density. Now, I almost always get distracted by undiscovered water worlds and such, so I usually average more like 2800 - 3000 lys/hr. On my last run to Colonia I made it there in a little under 7.5 hours. If I exercised real discipline I'm sure I could get that down to under 7 hours. With the improved route plotter in 2.2 it will no longer take a long time to plot near the core, it's very quick, so that will help that time even further, because now in 2.1 the route plotter starts taking a long time to plot near Jaques.

A good modded Anaconda could do it faster yet.I know one guy who has a 61ly Anaconda, he can make it to Jaques in less than 6 hours. o_O

sueil

Man my cargo conda only does 41 LY empty. I thought it rolled decently but I guess not if people are getting 50 LY out of them.

Dizzy-4U

Man my cargo conda only does 41 LY empty. I thought it rolled decently but I guess not if people are getting 50 LY out of them.
Keep in mind that everything else in d-rated or lower. I'm using it just for Sothis so I have no weapons and only a chaff just in case. I got interdicted by a wing of 3 and barely made it out alive.

Mengy

Keep in mind that everything else in d-rated or lower. I'm using it just for Sothis so I have no weapons and only a chaff just in case. I got interdicted by a wing of 3 and barely made it out alive.

The Anaconda's biggest negative is that it's very slow, every other ship in the game except for the T9 can keep up with it or outrun it. An interdiction by a wing of three is like the worst case possible for it, lol.

Effect

If I could somehow get a window in game that shows youtube that would be great. Right now I either have TV on in the background or I use my Wii U gamepad to show either netflix or youtube while I play. Really does indeed help with playing the gam even when just doing normal missions. I can only imagine how much it helps when you leave the bubble.

StonedRider

That's not bad, although my lowly Asp has you beat:

Do you use D-rated thrusters in your exploration Asp build? It makes landing on high G planets not an easy task.

As for Anaconda, I'm doing Sothis runs with 7D thrusters and very disappointed with speed. Interdictions are not a problem, but I was scanned by authority ships with illicit cargo onboard several times while flying out of the station before jumping out.

Do you use D-rated thrusters in your exploration Asp build? It makes landing on high G planets not an easy task.

As for Anaconda, I'm doing Sothis runs with 7D thrusters and very disappointed with speed. Interdictions are not a problem, but I was scanned by authority ships with illicit cargo onboard several times while flying out of the station before jumping out.
Don't forget to go silent. Put a level 1 or 3 dirty tune on the engines as well.

If I could somehow get a window in game that shows youtube that would be great. Right now I either have TV on in the background or I use my Wii U gamepad to show either netflix or youtube while I play. Really does indeed help with playing the gam even when just doing normal missions. I can only imagine how much it helps when you leave the bubble.
Sweet child. Go google OnTopReplica. Do it now.

Mengy

Yeah I use D thrusters but they are 5D thrusters and they do a pretty good job while being fairly lightweight. I can land safely on any planet with up to 4g, I have landed on planets up to around 5.5g but I had to be super careful with the decent. I now pretty much avoid landing on anything greater than 4g.

StonedRider

Don't forget to go silent. Put a level 1 or 3 dirty tune on the engines as well.

Thanks for the tip, I completely forgot there is silent running feature. I will try to use it if I hear "Scan detected" next time.

Yeah I use D thrusters but they are 5D thrusters and they do a pretty good job while being fairly lightweight. I can land safely on any planet with up to 4g, I have landed on planets up to around 5.5g but I had to be super careful with the decent. I now pretty much avoid landing on anything greater than 4g.

Good to know! I did not mess with perfect exploration Asp build yet because I don't want to lose upgraded A-rated modules. But after module storage in 2.2 I plan to fine tune exploration Asp and earn some money towards Elite rank in neutron stars field near Jaques.

As for now... more Sothis runs (I've joined billionaire club in assets thanks to it this monday)

Thanks for the tip, I completely forgot there is silent running feature. I will try to use it if I hear "Scan detected" next time.

)

Don't quote me on this, but I believe if you hear "scan detected" it's too late to go silent. Best way to do it (what I do daily on a big ship):

1.) Drop into normal space in front of station

2.) Boost

3.) Silent running as soon as I get < 7.5km from station and have requested docking, keep throttle at full

4.) Drop speed to blue zone starting at ~3.5km (lighter big ships like Conda may be able to hold off on dropping to 50% until 2.5km) and use one heat sink.

5.) Waltz in.

As long as you're close to going in, the scan is unlikely to finish. Your Conda may be able to boost twice between your supercruise dropout in front of the station and the front door. Test this a few times to maximize your time-to-entrance. If you can boost twice immediately following dropping back to normal space and have enough control before you get to the entrance to turn the ship without banging into something or over-shooting the entrance, do so. I can't do so on my Cutters, for example. 1 boost is all they can manage otherwise they'd overshoot.

I listen to podcasts while playing too. I really wish they would somehow integrate a music player into the game, it'd be nice to not have to alt-tab out to change episodes/songs. Plus it would add to muh immersion.

Mengy

Burny

I listen to podcasts while playing too. I really wish they would somehow integrate a music player into the game, it'd be nice to not have to alt-tab out to change episodes/songs. Plus it would add to muh immersion.

I really whish they would integrate some game in the game. ;p

At least where just getting from A to B is concerned. ;)

sueil

I'm grinding through imperial missions non stop all hours of the day trying to get that faction for a cutter. How fun.

StonedRider

Don't quote me on this, but I believe if you hear "scan detected" it's too late to go silent. Best way to do it (what I do daily on a big ship):

1.) Drop into normal space in front of station

2.) Boost

3.) Silent running as soon as I get < 7.5km from station and have requested docking, keep throttle at full

4.) Drop speed to blue zone starting at ~3.5km (lighter big ships like Conda may be able to hold off on dropping to 50% until 2.5km) and use one heat sink.

5.) Waltz in.

As long as you're close to going in, the scan is unlikely to finish. Your Conda may be able to boost twice between your supercruise dropout in front of the station and the front door. Test this a few times to maximize your time-to-entrance. If you can boost twice immediately following dropping back to normal space and have enough control before you get to the entrance to turn the ship without banging into something or over-shooting the entrance, do so. I can't do so on my Cutters, for example. 1 boost is all they can manage otherwise they'd overshoot.

Thanks again!

My Conda is slow and despite using 6A power distributor (my current experiments with ships weight) I usually can boost twice, even three times easily if I dropped not perfectly before the entrance.

But I never had problems with scans during entering the station.

My problems with authority start when I'm leaving the station and trying to boost this slow ass out of the station mass lock to be able to jump. Usually when jump destination is behind the station.

Actually, as I see now, it is even easier task - boost out of the station, go silent, flight assist off, throttle to zero. I will try this tonight.

kennah

Feels bad man. Got blown up 200ly away from the last station I was in, 400ls from the station I was going to.

My daughter started puking so I just throttled zero and went to deal with it. By the time I got back it seems I had been interdicted and destroyed by an npc.

There goes a million in insurance.

Volimar

Feels bad man. Got blown up 200ly away from the last station I was in, 400ls from the station I was going to.

My daughter started puking so I just throttled zero and went to deal with it. By the time I got back it seems I had been interdicted and destroyed by an npc.

There goes a million in insurance.

That sucks. Is your daughter okay though?

Top Bottom