• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Skyzard

Banned
Do people feel like Horizons was a great and substantial addition for the price charged?

Horizons costs almost as much as a full game here.

I still want to get back to Elite Dangerous but I can just imagine picking it up, recapping with how to play, really enjoying asteroid belt bounty hunting combat and then shelving it till the next update. I feel like I really need a substantial amount before settling with it.

Elite got a lot of credit for the funding but I don't see too much end difference between it and SC.

-fuck, everytime with horizons it's top of the page. I'll leave this one.

Also, is every expansion pack actually a combination of all the stuff released previously? Doesn't really seem like an expansion. Seems like a really fast and hardly changed Elite Dangerous 2.

3 next year and 4 the year after right?

They are treating it like MMO expansions - they cost a lot at launch, add a LOT of content, and then continue to add new content throughout the year to that expansion. That's what makes it worth it to me, the new content throughout the year. This last year we got some great additions to the game (after it left beta), and what they've mentioned for this upcoming year with Horizons sounds great. You can also think of it as an annual subscription if you want - as long as you keep paying the yearly subscription you get all the new content, if you choose to stop paying you can keep playing but don't get access to any more new things.

Skyzard

Banned
Right, they marketed it as 'seasons' ...They improved the game last year...eventually, with much needed additions... but not in good time and the additions were pretty much essential, they weren't going above and beyond so I'm thinking what I see here is pretty much what I'll get with Horizons.
Don't think it's going to be worth it for me. I imagine most of the fun gameplay is still in space, off the planets. Landing on a planet being seemless is a nice thing to do, pretty huge too for a modern space game, but it doesn't seem like it adds enough.
I'm expecting to skip the content for the year short of a ridiculous and unlikely crazy sale, and will just see if they've added enough next year or the one after. I want to get into it again, loved the handling and combat but not to only be disappointed with the rest again. I'm all hardwared up for it and have been since release so it's a long term thing but not yet, I think I got enough last time to wait.

Hylian7

So I've got a bit of a problem, and I'm curious if anyone else has run into anything like this.

I moved my computer into the living room temporarily last night, and moved it back into the office, and now my Saitek X52 won't work. It probably has something to do with which USB port I plugged it into, but changing it is not working. I tried to uninstall the driver and reinstall it, but that is not working. Any way I can get this thing working again? I'm on Windows 10.

Skyzard

Banned
^ I remember something similar happened to me with SC and warthog. I know it's a pain to re-sort the bindings so what I did iirc - with the PC on, unplug the other USB game controller devices and plug them in a different order... sounds insane but I'm pretty sure that was it. I think I worked out the order by looking at my binding file.

Might be easier to just sort out the controls again... unless you've tried that already then... maybe too many usbs in use?

Edit - The parts were being referenced like controller 1, 2, 3 in the game was based on the order they showed up in the USB Game Controller screen.

Hylian7

Make sure it's not in a USB 3.0 port.

I've tried all of the USB ports, even the 3.0 ones :/

I'm searching through everything Saitek that isn't in Elite's files and deleting it. Maybe this will get me somewhere.

Ughhhhhhhh fuck Saitek drivers. God fucking dammit.

Burny

I've tried all of the USB ports, even the 3.0 ones :/

I'm searching through everything Saitek that isn't in Elite's files and deleting it. Maybe this will get me somewhere.

Ughhhhhhhh fuck Saitek drivers. God fucking dammit.

There is a fix, you know.

dsc05224-edit-edituas03.jpg
dsc05218-edit-editcyscu.jpg

(Sorry, purposefully being unhelpful here, but I can't help it ^^)

kvk1

Saitek has lost any future business from me with how they handled the Windows 10 transition.

Sorry Hylian, don't know the answer to your problem, I hope you figure it out.

golem

Do people feel like Horizons was a great and substantial addition for the price charged?

Horizons costs almost as much as a full game here
I dont think it's enough if you got tired of the base game. I had my fill of Elite earlier this year and while planetary stuff is cool, there still hasnt been enough added or changed in the game to pull me back for more. Things you do on a planet are just a variation of what you were doing in space. I have the lifetime expansion pass and honestly after logging in you'll find its the same game you got bored of.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
There is a fix, you know.

I have to say I agree with Burny. I've never been as happy as I am with my new full CH setup, it's quite literally transformative coming from a Saitek HOTUS. I don't think I'll ever own another brand again.

Honestly, no I don't. For me as an explorer primarily, planetary landings added SOO much to the game, I mean I really love the hell out of it. And I play enough Elite to make the $45 more than worth it for me personally. However, that said, I feel like it should have been more of a $20 - $30 price point for what Horizons is. Sure more content is coming this year but without a detailed roadmap, which we SHOULD have, you are pretty much buying the expansion on faith that it will be worth it eventually. I don't like that business plan to be blunt.

BUT, I love the game, and I'll be playing it for many years to come, and I want to help support the devs, so I pay it gladly. But is it worth the price? I think it's a bit steep.

Jedi2016

There was a thread, I think it was somewhere on the official forums, or maybe Reddit, that listed stats about various planets that people had found. The lowest gravity, highest gravity, planets closest to 1g, closest to lunar gravity, etc. I can't seem to find it for the life of me.

But on that note, ObsidianAnt's newest video mentions that someone has apparently found a thirteen-g planet. That's more than double Achenar-3, which I've done. Not sure I want to try landing on that, but somehow I think I will.

Hylian7

Could you elaborate on this?

They took many months after Windows 10 was perfectly available to developers to release drivers for Windows 10, and without the beta drivers, the thing barely worked and just unplugging it from your PC caused all sorts of shenanigans. Now they finally released the "final" version of the drivers, and people STILL have problems similar to the one I am having.

I tried this: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=118331

Still fucking nothing. When I ran the installer, it asks to plug in the stick. The "next" button is still greyed out. What the fuck Saitek. Wish me luck with a support ticket.

Hylian7

These posts worry me, I have a saitek x52 currently in shipment. Hope it's not a dud.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I would honestly return that shit if you have Windows 10. The hardware itself is good, but it's not worth the pain in the ass the drivers are, and how they barely function.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm so sorry for your loss. I would honestly return that shit if you have Windows 10. The hardware itself is good, but it's not worth the pain in the ass the drivers are, and how they barely function.

Windows 10, I'll update when I get it in.

Jedi2016

The hardware's not really 100%, either. It started giving me problems right away with some of the inputs being a bit off, and "jittery". Some of them I was able to get around by adjusting the dead zones both in Saitek's software and in Elite. But then the throttle started acting up, with some buttons not responding at all while the throttle was in certain positions. In the Saitek software, you could see all of the analog inputs on the throttle start going crazy while it was around 25-50% throttle, and while it was doing that, none of the hard buttons would work. One of the Fire buttons on the stick started getting flaky, and it started having a little "pop" to the twist rudder, feels like one of the springs is getting caught on something. Of course, all this started happening after the warranty and return period expired, but it's been less than a year.

Even all of that aside, assuming it worked 100% perfectly... if I had had a chance to try it before buying it, I wouldn't have. It's just not worth the extra cost compared to the Thrustmaster HOTAS-X, which I've now gone back to until I can figure out what's going on with the throttle on the Saitek. While the Thrustmaster doesn't have all the buttons and options as the Saitek, it's just feels better, with the controls it does have being much more suited to the way I like to fly.

Hylian7

The hardware's not really 100%, either. It started giving me problems right away with some of the inputs being a bit off, and "jittery". Some of them I was able to get around by adjusting the dead zones both in Saitek's software and in Elite. But then the throttle started acting up, with some buttons not responding at all while the throttle was in certain positions. In the Saitek software, you could see all of the analog inputs on the throttle start going crazy while it was around 25-50% throttle, and while it was doing that, none of the hard buttons would work. One of the Fire buttons on the stick started getting flaky, and it started having a little "pop" to the twist rudder, feels like one of the springs is getting caught on something. Of course, all this started happening after the warranty and return period expired, but it's been less than a year.

Even all of that aside, assuming it worked 100% perfectly... if I had had a chance to try it before buying it, I wouldn't have. It's just not worth the extra cost compared to the Thrustmaster HOTAS-X, which I've now gone back to until I can figure out what's going on with the throttle on the Saitek. While the Thrustmaster doesn't have all the buttons and options as the Saitek, it's just feels better, with the controls it does have being much more suited to the way I like to fly.

That's weird, I haven't had any of that stuff with mine, just these driver shenanigans.

This made my throttle 1000x better though: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=115981

I don't, at least not yet, maybe the other updates will make it feel worth the money. The planetary landing part is pretty good but it also feels like other things like the new missions are broken or just maybe poorly designed. For example, "hey our pilot is missing," cool, maybe you could give me more to go on besides a signal on a small screen that turns out to be minerals 90% of the time. Spent almost two hours on one of these missions before I decided they were a waste of time. Same with the "go find this one person somehow and they'll tell you what to do to next" missions.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm really liking a gimbaled Beam Laser and Cannon combo. A bit harder for smaller ships, but Asps, Pythons, Drop Ships are so easy to take out now with my Vulture. Stick to their ass or real close and Beam their shields down then zap their power plants and shoot them with the cannon. They barely even have a chance to turn about on me and get any hits themselves.

Was tempted to plug in my x52 pro the other day when playing ED, pretty glad I never got around to it to be honest. Kinda bought these to use with both ED and SC so safe to say they haven't seen a fraction of the use I planned for them so far.

Though for what it's worth they're not the only company having issues with W10. Netgear are selling USB wifi adapters that won't even allow your pc to boot if you have W10 with one of those plugged in and Asus took quite a while getting drivers out for the old Xonar d2x, and even then they're only beta versions for now. Driver errors have a habit of making W10 go absolutely insane from my experience too rather than just not working or crashing the device, to the extent of changing things I couldn't without going to the BIOS.

HelloMeow

This is a weird question to me. Horizons is like a season pass. We're getting a year's worth of content. It makes no sense to ask if one expansion is worth it.

And everywhere I look there are people who pretend that this is all we're getting for 45$. It's not... I don't get it.

Ferrio

Banned
This is a weird question to me. Horizons is like a season pass. We're getting a year's worth of content. It makes no sense to ask if one expansion is worth it.

And everywhere I look there are people who pretend that this is all we're getting for 45$. It's not... I don't get it.

The same reason people don't like season passes, you're paying for something you don't have yet. Asking if it's worth it is perfectly valid, when they can wait 6 months and pick it up cheaper with more content.

Hylian7

LHeWsUW.png

When I try to install via Device Manager (after wiping all Saitek-related stuff), I get this. Anyone have ideas? I've tried a bunch of step by step guides on wiping all Saitek stuff, including registry, but still, no dice.

Edit: I FIXED IT!

http://www.avsim.com/topic/478176-saitek-x52-and-windows-10/#entry3326582

I managed to get it to work. Here's the solution...

Run the driver installer - the beta driver from the Madcatz site, then do as instructed and plug your X52 in. Let the installer run. Once Windows has completed its process, you'll need to go to device manager. From there, right click on the X52 (with the exclamation mark in a yellow triangle on it) and select 'Update Driver.'

This is the interesting bit. You'll need to choose 'Let me pick...' and then choose the first device - Generic USB Device or similar - NOT the X52 one.

Your X52 will then be recognised by Windows 10 and your installer will continue with its installation process. You should now have a fully functioning X52 again :)

Going to leave this here in case anyone else has these troublesome devices and needs this in the future.

Jedi2016

But on that note, ObsidianAnt's newest video mentions that someone has apparently found a thirteen-g planet. That's more than double Achenar-3, which I've done. Not sure I want to try landing on that, but somehow I think I will.
Meh, that was a dud. Someone mis-read the planet's info... while it was 13 Earth masses, it was much larger, so it was only around 2g.

Anybody know any stupidly-high-g worlds to splat my Asp on?

I have the original game but not Horizons.

Now be honest with me GAF, is Horizons worth what they are asking?

Nope. In a few months maybe but it just seems they aren't adding the stuff "I want" so I am biased and this is just based on my wants of the game.

I want more fleshed out missions, no need to stack to get decent returns, etc ... That just isn't there.

So many QOL things they could add but we get the PVP and more grind (rep).

I decided to shelve it for a few more months. They have a lot of things to address when they are back from vacation IMO.

But, that's just me, since Arena is in there must have been a lot of people wanting death match shit instead of improvements to the sim (background, bookmarks for galaxy, better trading tools, improvement to mining, mission structure, POI issues, RNG for quests ...)

I mean, they are "working on that" stuff but it doesn't seem to be the focus. Ah well. I'm sure I'll get my $45 worth out of it, but I look back and regret purchasing it.

Jedi2016

The whole "should I wait" question is ridiculous, because you'll still end up buying the same expac and getting the same content, whether you buy it now or later. It's not magically going to be "worth more" at a later date. Same price, same content.

If you don't think it's worth it, then you don't think the game itself is worth it, IMO, just stop playing. Because those updates coming in Season 2? If you only own the base game, you won't see any of them... that game is forever stuck at 1.5. They haven't been very vocal about that, but planetary landings was never the only thing exclusive to Horizons. Everything from this point on is exclusive to Horizons and whatever comes next.

I hear people bitching about the price, but I think the problem isn't what they're charging, it's what they're calling it. It's not an "expansion" except in the most basic technical terms in how it actually works. What it really is is a yearly subscription to an MMO. And in that light, the price is actually really damn cheap.

If you like Elite, then it's more than worth it, and will continue to be so in future years. If you don't like Elite, none of this will magically turn it into the game you thought you were buying a year ago. If you have to ask the question, you fall into the second category. Time to move on.

mandiller

The whole "should I wait" question is ridiculous, because you'll still end up buying the same expac and getting the same content, whether you buy it now or later. It's not magically going to be "worth more" at a later date. Same price, same content.

If you don't think it's worth it, then you don't think the game itself is worth it, IMO, just stop playing. Because those updates coming in Season 2? If you only own the base game, you won't see any of them... that game is forever stuck at 1.5. They haven't been very vocal about that, but planetary landings was never the only thing exclusive to Horizons. Everything from this point on is exclusive to Horizons and whatever comes next.

I hear people bitching about the price, but I think the problem isn't what they're charging, it's what they're calling it. It's not an "expansion" except in the most basic technical terms in how it actually works. What it really is is a yearly subscription to an MMO. And in that light, the price is actually really damn cheap.

If you like Elite, then it's more than worth it, and will continue to be so in future years. If you don't like Elite, none of this will magically turn it into the game you thought you were buying a year ago. If you have to ask the question, you fall into the second category. Time to move on.

Well if you're like me and you've taken a bit of a break from Elite you could just wait a year and buy season 3's expansion which'll probably include the base game, horizons and the new season - for the same price as just Horizon.

So far, planetary landing is all you get when you plonk down your money for Horizon, and that's not enough to get me to come back. Based on what they've announced as the other expansions (crafting etc) that doesn't sound interesting enough to be worth the full price of a brand new game. The expansion pass should've been $US29.99 for existing owners of the base game and $59.99 if you haven't owned Elite. It's a bit much to get people to pay so much for a promise of more content, especially if they already own the base game.

Jedi2016

So far, planetary landing is all you get when you plonk down your money for Horizon, and that's not enough to get me to come back.
Speak for yourself, I'm having a blast with it. And I'm not really even doing anything.. I'm an explorer at heart, I just drive around and collect materials and take in the sights.

Crafting may not sound interesting, but once we hear more about what we'll be crafting, I think it'll get a bit more interesting. That's where ship customization is really going to come into its own.

DrBo42

Speak for yourself, I'm having a blast with it. And I'm not really even doing anything.. I'm an explorer at heart, I just drive around and collect materials and take in the sights.

Crafting may not sound interesting, but once we hear more about what we'll be crafting, I think it'll get a bit more interesting. That's where ship customization is really going to come into its own.

Well he did say it wasn't enough to get him to come back lol. Dunno, can't really blame people for not being jazzed about horizons that aren't avid explorers in the game already. It didn't add much and the list we know of what's coming are just more features to pile on rather than actual content.

Well if you're like me and you've taken a bit of a break from Elite you could just wait a year and buy season 3's expansion which'll probably include the base game, horizons and the new season - for the same price as just Horizon.

So far, planetary landing is all you get when you plonk down your money for Horizon, and that's not enough to get me to come back. Based on what they've announced as the other expansions (crafting etc) that doesn't sound interesting enough to be worth the full price of a brand new game. The expansion pass should've been $US29.99 for existing owners of the base game and $59.99 if you haven't owned Elite. It's a bit much to get people to pay so much for a promise of more content, especially if they already own the base game.

Yep. Don't get me wrong, I like the game. But wish I would have waited.

I honestly didn't realize it was a "season" I was buying into. I have almost 400 hours so I've definitely gotten my moneys worth even with the expansion but I would rather have a more fleshed out single player and was hoping this "expansion/season pass" was it. I like the ground missions but too many random bugs and very little payout and/or rewards keeps me from really digging in and enjoying it.

Hawk269

Thinking about getting this. Would you all say if the game is overly complicated? Can it be played with a controller only or are there things that you have to use a mouse and keyboard with?

Thinking about getting this. Would you all say if the game is overly complicated? Can it be played with a controller only or are there things that you have to use a mouse and keyboard with?
You can get by with either a controller or mkb, both are entirely serviceable controls. The game really shines with a HOTAS though.

The game doesn't spoon feed you as a player, you will learn a lot by reading up on its various systems in tutorials you can find on their forums, or the Elite Wiki. There's no easy mode, but it's not utterly punishing either. I bought in during its crowdfunding stages, and have been having a pretty good time with it.

Kiyoshi

I've had a long standing problem with the X-52 Pro since I got it (Windows 7 at that time), where after loading my PC the throttle would be stuck at 100%. The only way to fix it was to remove it and plug it back in. Seemed to happen at random; sometimes after launching my PC it would be fine, other times not.

With Windows 10, the same problem would occur but removing the USB cable would cause my PC to hard lock; causing a reboot.

But a few days ago there were a series of windows updates and it hasn't happened once since. I've even had to unplug the device a couple of times and it hasn't hard locked. So I'm hoping the problems were all fixed.

mitchman

Gold Member
But a few days ago there were a series of windows updates and it hasn't happened once since. I've even had to unplug the device a couple of times and it hasn't hard locked. So I'm hoping the problems were all fixed.

Was this with the Win10 drivers that fixes the issues?

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

Um, no, because if it drops in price you get the same content for less money. Right now it's not worth the money, and I say this as a big fan of Elite who is rapidly losing interest in the game.

Kiyoshi

Was this with the Win10 drivers that fixes the issues?

I dunno, I've never specifically searched for and downloaded drivers. I upgraded from Windows 7, and aside from the issues I experienced it was working, so I never bothered looking. The problems were manageable. It's only been since a recent windows update that the issue with hard locking has been fixed; but no, I've never downloaded Win10 specific drivers from a website or anything.

fred

So, even though i've owned the game since a long time, i didnt have time to play it due to university, most of the game time i had in the game was in the betas and all of it went poof for release so.. Last night i finally got enough for a Vulture and 2 class 3 gimballled pulse laser. Always made money by ressources sites, bounty hunting with a Viper. I must say, so far, the Vulture kicks ass.

Just got one myself and have it pimped out with A4 modules. I might keep this as my ship permanently. And with the Black Friday paint job it looks like the dog's bollocks.

Anyone else doing that 'Season of Giving' CG? There's a lot of money to be made. I think I'll be flying over there today. May hit $75 million at max level for top 5%.

Kiyoshi

Anyone else doing that 'Season of Giving' CG? There's a lot of money to be made. I think I'll be flying over there today. May hit $75 million at max level for top 5%.

You better hurry then, less than a day left. I'd say it may be hard to get top 5% now, considering you can only get 10t of commodities at once (though plenty of people are flying out of the station, jettisoning the cargo, flying back in, waiting 10 minutes for the next lot to spawn, then flying back out).

Top Bottom