• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Jedi2016

Um, no, because if it drops in price you get the same content for less money. Right now it's not worth the money, and I say this as a big fan of Elite who is rapidly losing interest in the game.
Yeah, 'cause this is a game that goes on sale all the time, right? I mean, Elite Dangerous dropped how many times? And for how much? You go right ahead and wait eight months to save yourself three dollars, in the meantime I'll be playing the game.

Kiyoshi

The game has gone on sale, yes; so those that are picking it up later (in those sales) or with the base game price reduction will pay a lot less than early adopters that have paid for full price for the base game + horizons.

The point being made, is that if you buy the game now you are only paying for what has been released so far. You're not paying for season 3, season 4 content. For that, you have to pay extra when it arrives. Whereas someone coming in at season 3 or 4 etc is going to be able to pay significantly less than someone that has paid full price for each season as it is released.

It will likely cost less in the long run if you wait; but obviously you don't have to. That's fine, for me I want to play now and I am happy to pay for the content at full price as it comes along. But it's perfectly reasonable for people to want to wait until this game has more content.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yeah, 'cause this is a game that goes on sale all the time, right? I mean, Elite Dangerous dropped how many times? And for how much? You go right ahead and wait eight months to save yourself three dollars, in the meantime I'll be playing the game.

It dropped 66% to $15 bucks twice already.

Jedi2016

It dropped 66% to $15 bucks twice already.
With the pending release of Horizons. Horizons will no doubt go on sale for cheap right before Season 3 launches, too.

We all know we'll be having this conversation again in a year. And the year after that. And the year after that. The question boils down to: "Do you like Elite?" It's a simple yes/no.

fred

Anyone else doing that 'Season of Giving' CG? There's a lot of money to be made. I think I'll be flying over there today. May hit $75 million at max level for top 5%.

Nope, not going anywhere near the CGs myself. This may sound a bit daft, but coming from someone that has put well over a thousand hours into the original game, it's waaaaay too easy to make money in this game. I've only took part in one CG so far and earnt 10m credits. It felt like cheating tbh lol

I'm playing the game 'old school', the way the original game was played. I've now got 17m credits and a Vulture with A4 modules. If I didn't do that CG (the exploration one at Lave Station) I'd only have 7m credits.

When you see CMDR ARV flying around in an Annie you'll know he owned it the hard way lol

This may have been posted, but god damn, Isinona is fucking amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUbV3Zq62BA

He simultaneously makes me want to play the game and master flying...and just fucking quit the game because I know I'll never be that good.
this is why I am trying to learn flight assist off. It's a lot easier when you use digital manual thrusters and boost only imho. Using the forward backwards digitally really helps a lot. Need to practice more thought. Nav beacon and low res are great for practice

Jedi2016

I'm doing the bounty hunting CG in Dahan, top 15%. Easy 5M. I'm not even there any more, I'll swing by tomorrow and pick up the credits.. lol. I was thinking of doing the other one for the Antares wreckage, but I don't like smuggling, and having to smuggle "stolen" wreckage into the station that's openly asking for it just seems stupid and, frankly, broken.. they probably didn't think of the fact that salvageable wreckage is flagged as illegal before making a CG out of it.

I'm considering heading off onto my big exploration jaunt, which will likely take months. A whole bunch of stuff waiting for me when I get back.. lol.

I don't think anyone's put together any kind of guide for gathering materials? Like what kinds of planets to look for for specific minerals? I want to make sure I can restock my Auto Field Maintenance unit while I'm out (and hope that the unit itself doesn't end up too badly damaged, although I may just equip a second, smaller one just for that purpose). I have plenty of stuff already to maintain the SRV.

hepburn3d

The Viper MK IV is growing on me now. With all spare slots fitted with Hull reinforcement packages it feels like a beast. When my shields go down I don't have to panic so much. Wish it had a paint job available though.

I have a small question. I have an Adder for exploration, a Type 7 for trading, a Viper for combat and a Cobra. I'm not sure what to gear the cobra for. I might make it my smuggler ship. What has everyone else geared their Cobras for?

Think my next ship to collect will be an ASP for exploration and landings.

I'm not sure why people sell their ships. I can't part with them. I'm reluctant to sell the kit they have on them either. It's so nice going to your base station, switching ships, and doing something different for a bit.

I only recently bought the game but I just wanna say that I really respect how Elite seems to handle their pricing. It's very easy to get caught up with all the deals and undercut your own product and it is a bad trend.

I missed the Kickstarter and after reading up on their release schedule decided to wait at least 2 seasons and jump in.

I was just about to pick up the original season during the sale as it was one of the few times I had seen it discounted so much. Then I read up on the new season and just said fuck it and got Horizons.

Already really impressed with the game and the features they are talking of adding sound fun as well.

I am heading out to visit the in-laws for a few days but can't wait to get back and jump in again. Will definitely apply to the faction.

I worked myself up to a Viper MkIV for now and am planning to pimp it out as much as possible. Seems like a great workhorse.

SmartBase

Is there a surefire way of grinding Federation rank? I had the Empire offering me naval missions left and right because I had traded entire planets worth of slaves but the Feds are stingy.

When doing salvage surface missions, how the heck do you find the thing you are there to salvage? I drove around randomly for like 20 minutes since I had no idea what to do, didn't find anything, then failed the mission (though it was supposed to be an hour and a half...) Do you need some sort of scanner?

I'm really liking a gimbaled Beam Laser and Cannon combo. A bit harder for smaller ships, but Asps, Pythons, Drop Ships are so easy to take out now with my Vulture. Stick to their ass or real close and Beam their shields down then zap their power plants and shoot them with the cannon. They barely even have a chance to turn about on me and get any hits themselves.

That's what I was using for a while, but swapped out the cannon for a fixed Fragmentation one, up close focus down beam fire with a three shot burst just shreds hull and internals.

hepburn3d

Has anyone experienced problems with Voice Attack? It keeps picking up the word 'of' and "cargo scoop up" when there is no noise. Not sure if it's a Bluetooth issue or a mic issue

Has anyone experienced problems with Voice Attack? It keeps picking up the word 'of' and "cargo scoop up" when there is no noise. Not sure if it's a Bluetooth issue or a mic issue

Two things to try, firstly have a look in the settings and try turning off the extra speech recognition setting in there, it can actually cause more problems than it solves. Sorry I can't remember the exact name of the setting but it's been a long time since I used it and it's not installed right now. The other is if you're still having issues then you can issue a wake up/sleep command to help prevent interference.

onken

Kinda tempting but too expensive. Why is it the same price for existing/new owners? Makes no damn sense.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
That's what I was using for a while, but swapped out the cannon for a fixed Fragmentation one, up close focus down beam fire with a three shot burst just shreds hull and internals.

Was considering that as I know that Fragmentation is the bees knees when it comes to close range hull damage but figured the Cannon was better for single target internal damage as I'm all about the Power Plant attacks now. Is the Fragmentation better for that as well or just general internal damage?

hepburn3d

Two things to try, firstly have a look in the settings and try turning off the extra speech recognition setting in there, it can actually cause more problems than it solves. Sorry I can't remember the exact name of the setting but it's been a long time since I used it and it's not installed right now. The other is if you're still having issues then you can issue a wake up/sleep command to help prevent interference.

Thanks for advice. I turned off that setting which has reduced it. Seems to register no noise but picks up a word. I almost need to set a notice level threshold as its picking up words but registering no noise. I may try reinstalling it

Noobcraft

When does this release on xb1?
Don't know. I picked up Elite: Dangerous XB1 on sale yesterday for $27.

I've basically been like:
giphy.gif

Was considering that as I know that Fragmentation is the bees knees when it comes to close range hull damage but figured the Cannon was better for single target internal damage as I'm all about the Power Plant attacks now. Is the Fragmentation better for that as well or just general internal damage?

It depends on how you dogfight, but especially against Pythons, Clippers, Anacondas you can be so up in their shit that you can dump a three round burst where almost all of the fragments hit the power plant, which ends up doing a ton more damage than the cannon.

Jedi2016

Found my first Earth-like today! And really mine, too, if I can get back before someone else stumbles across it. Not very far out from the bubble, either, I just left on my grand crusade today. And not where you'd expect, but in a run-of-the-mill Class-M system. I wasn't even headed that way, I changed my route plotting when I came across too many brown dwarfs in a row (too close to the mid-plane of the galaxy). I replotted my route to go above the mid-plane where there's more "normal" stars and I stumbled across that Earth-like in the third or fourth system after that. I almost couldn't believe my ears when I heard the bird-chirps on the system map.

DrBo42

Found my first Earth-like today! And really mine, too, if I can get back before someone else stumbles across it. Not very far out from the bubble, either, I just left on my grand crusade today. And not where you'd expect, but in a run-of-the-mill Class-M system. I wasn't even headed that way, I changed my route plotting when I came across too many brown dwarfs in a row (too close to the mid-plane of the galaxy). I replotted my route to go above the mid-plane where there's more "normal" stars and I stumbled across that Earth-like in the third or fourth system after that. I almost couldn't believe my ears when I heard the bird-chirps on the system map.

Congrats man. That's a great feeling when you hear those birds the first time. Hell, every time you hear them feels good. The day when you discover it, can LAND on it and are able to do something meaningful down there will be the moment this game is truly something special.

Congrats man. That's a great feeling when you hear those birds the first time. Hell, every time you hear them feels good. The day when you discover it, can LAND on it and are able to do something meaningful down there will be the moment this game is truly something special.

That's another 4 or 5 years at least.

Legs, Stations/Outposts and Capital Ships are the next big hurdle for them to tackle at the engine level. Figuring out atmospheres, procedural life forms and cities is such a hurdle that I don't see them even trying to tackle that shit until like season 5.

Hawk269

Don't know. I picked up Elite: Dangerous XB1 on sale yesterday for $27.

I've basically been like:
giphy.gif

I picked it up the day before on sale as well. If you want to add me or if anyone wants to add me, please feel free. I am still learning and getting use to the game, but so far am really loving it.

My GT: Hawk269

Does anyone one know when Horizon's is coming to Xbox One? When I was reading this thread I did not know anything about the game, saw it on Xbox One bought it thinking what I was buying was Horizons, but it is just the original game. On one of the screens shots in the OP it says Horizons has not been announce for any other platform, but I would assume that it is coming to Xbox One being that the original is on it.

patchday

guys I dont understand this game. It spawned me at a space station where there is -ZERO- missions I can do. Not a single one.

There was one mission that popped up after an hour but it was 38 jumps away. I run out of fuel in this crappy starter ship after like 4 jumps

What am I supposed to do? I cant take on any missions. Game feels unplayable :(

Was thinking bout getting the dlc but at this point its a non-option from awful first impression. Even EVE Online, regaled for a difficult learning curve, had the good sense to spawn newbies at a station where they can get a mission!@!!!!

Burny

Quoting myself:

Aside from doing the tutorials, get out of your starting ship asap!

Ignore missions at the beginning, unless they give you the cargo and want you to deliver it somewhere! Even those may be hard/impossible to do, if your starting ship doesn't have the jump range.

Instead, go to the system's nav point or a RES (resource extraction site, usually found in rocky/metallic asteroid rings), scan all ships and help the system security kill the wanted ones (you get all the bounty if you did enough damage). Deliver the bounties at a stations for some nice profits.

That's maybe the third time I'm posting this. I feel like this is a beginner's advice that should be in the OP until the missions and spawns are improved to the point that they offer a reasonable path of progression for players. At the beginning, players should ignore all the missions, unless they want to have an excercise in frustration, due to too little payout, hard to achieve goals (either due to the insufficient starter ship or lack of orientation in the game) and far too much time invested without encountering much fun.

patchday

Thanks! Will give that a try when I play again tomorrow.

I'm impressed with the physics / docking, etc. It's just the lack of a linear mission in the starter station that pissed me off hard.

Yeah it should be in the OP for sure. Just like how we do all the LoL / Dota 2 threads. This game is every bit as difficult as those if not way more brutal

Pomerlaw

The mission system still needs work. If you are like me, the awesome flight model will keep you at it even if the game is brutal, especially in the beggining.

For me it has been worth it!!!

Some pics I took during the weekend!

QzZuEKN.png

This little moon with rings is so bright, it shines like a jewel;

udmhng2.png

LjQCL9t.png

gLkluCx.png

And this may be my new favorite planet. The colors, the craters, omg.

zBbhkOd.png

d3WzlKx.png

IYdcr08.png

fred

guys I dont understand this game. It spawned me at a space station where there is -ZERO- missions I can do. Not a single one.

There was one mission that popped up after an hour but it was 38 jumps away. I run out of fuel in this crappy starter ship after like 4 jumps

Was thinking bout getting the dlc but at this point its a non-option from awful first impression. Even EVE Online, regaled for a difficult learning curve, had the good sense to spawn newbies at a station where they can get a mission!@!!!!

Sounds like a bug to me. When you start off there are normally a good few missions available. Unless your ship has got blown up whilst doing a mission and you're left with 0 credits after paying the fine..?

If you want to do missions when you've just started the game then choose the cargo transport and data transport ones to begin with. They don't involve buying anything. And as Burny has said travelling to Nav Beacons and Low Intensity Resource Extraction Sites is a good way to earn some low risk quick cash.

You'll want to replace the loaned parts of your Sidey as soon as possible but at the same time it's essential that you have enough cash reserves available to cover your insurance cost several times over. If you don't have enough cash to cover your insurance cost after your ship is destroyed you'll end up either bankrupt or with the crappy free Sidey you started with.

I'd suggest upgrading in the following order - Shields>Weapons>Armour - but don't leave yourself short of cash in doing so. Personally I'd suggest having enough cash reserves to cover the loss of 4 or 5 ships just to be safe, and pick your battles. Only go against ships and pilots you think you can beat.

And if you haven't done already make sure you work through the Tutorials several times.

Ha, since I've taught the basics to 3 new players over the last month I know how jarring the game is to a new player. One of the guys I was helping, I was just trying to get him to go to the nav beacon to fly around a bit and get a sense of combat. I was winged up but forgot to nav lock him. He was interdicted and killed by what must have been decent sized ship his first trip into supercruise. He had no idea what happened. All he knew is he was flying, something weird came on screen, he was out of control and then dead. I knew he was interdicted because we were winged up but he died way before I could reach his wake. I had to explain to him exactly what happened. He didn't even know that it was a ship that killed him.

Effect

Is it normal for empire faction npcs to be deep within federation space just roaming around? I keep getting pulled out of supercruise by Torval and Duval faction aligned ships. It's always when I'm about to drop into a space station as well. I've no rep good or bad with the Empire either. The only thing I've done is allied with Felicia Winters and Power Play with her isn't focused around combat.

It's getting to the point I want to put on an interdictor and just hunt npcs like this. Only thing really stopping me is that I'd get nothing out it. They're usually worth nothing bounty wise.

hepburn3d

Solved my Voice Attack issue. Seems it was my mic. Used a better one and it gets every single word I say. It's a shame because the bad one I got was a nice speak one with no headphones just to pick up my voice. So I've gone back to my full headset but I can't relax with it on the TV speakers when I want to be super casual. Considering getting a directional mic. Will have a think.

I've ordered a Track Hat Clip Plus as well. I sit about 2.5 to 3 meters from a 55" TV so I'm going to be interested if it will work well or not. My worry is the camera won't have enough resolution at that distance. If it works I'll be so chuffed.

patchday

Sounds like a bug to me. When you start off there are normally a good few missions available. Unless your ship has got blown up whilst doing a mission and you're left with 0 credits after paying the fine..?

If you want to do missions when you've just started the game then choose the cargo transport and data transport ones to begin with. They don't involve buying anything. And as Burny has said travelling to Nav Beacons and Low Intensity Resource Extraction Sites is a good way to earn some low risk quick cash.

You'll want to replace the loaned parts of your Sidey as soon as possible but at the same time it's essential that you have enough cash reserves available to cover your insurance cost several times over. If you don't have enough cash to cover your insurance cost after your ship is destroyed you'll end up either bankrupt or with the crappy free Sidey you started with.

I'd suggest upgrading in the following order - Shields>Weapons>Armour - but don't leave yourself short of cash in doing so. Personally I'd suggest having enough cash reserves to cover the loss of 4 or 5 ships just to be safe, and pick your battles. Only go against ships and pilots you think you can beat.

And if you haven't done already make sure you work through the Tutorials several times.

Ha, since I've taught the basics to 3 new players over the last month I know how jarring the game is to a new player. One of the guys I was helping, I was just trying to get him to go to the nav beacon to fly around a bit and get a sense of combat. I was winged up but forgot to nav lock him. He was interdicted and killed by what must have been decent sized ship his first trip into supercruise. He had no idea what happened. All he knew is he was flying, something weird came on screen, he was out of control and then dead. I knew he was interdicted because we were winged up but he died way before I could reach his wake. I had to explain to him exactly what happened. He didn't even know that it was a ship that killed him.

Thanks you guys for being patient with a scrub like me. I'm bout to give it a good go again. My brother was playing with me (via online Private Group) but gave me like 0 advice lol. He kept claiming that he has his fancy Hotas joystick and couldn't even begin to explain how I should use my thrust and warp. I was like omg you're no help at all. And apparently he only ran station missions all this time

Going to try to find a youtube that shows how to find this nav beacon so I can pay off these fines. I only got like 900 CR but have accumulated 1300 CR fines already lol

The Hermit

I impulse bought Elite: Dangerous in the last day of the steam seal.

I am wondering if I should refund and get horizons or just play this one instead.

Python is almost ready to go, starting to get a decent stable going, Vipers 3&4, Cobra 4, Asp explorer, Vulture, now the Python.

DrBo42

I am wondering if I should refund and get horizons or just play this one instead.

Yeah I'd recommend a refund/buy Horizons if you need to play it now. Ultimately I'd recommend just waiting until the next major update before pulling the trigger at all. Probably end of year more like.

Burny

Yeah I'd recommend a refund/buy Horizons if you need to play it now. Ultimately I'd recommend just waiting until the next major update before pulling the trigger at all. Probably end of year more like.

I'd say keep Elite and play it. It won't be before a couple of the planned Horizons updates are out later in 2016 that Horizons starts to add actual meat to the game. Before that, the only thing you're missing out on are the planetary landings (consequently the synthesis feature, but I'd say you can easily live and play without it). The landings are really mostly interesting for explorers.

Then, when you know the game is for you, you can still purchase Horizons or wait until that gets dropped in price. There might be a small reduction in price towards the summer sales and a substantial one towards the end of 2016 - just like there was with the season one you got. But then, towards the end of 2016, you could just as well go for the next season, which might bring EVA, seing as the character creator will have been added by then.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Still no fucking fix for AMD GPUs with new drivers under Windows 10. It sucks that hardware manufacturers have to fix developer mistakes in this day and age :/. I haven't even clocked an hour into the game

Burny

Still no fucking fix for AMD GPUs with new drivers under Windows 10. It sucks that hardware manufacturers have to fix developer mistakes in this day and age :/. I haven't even clocked an hour into the game

I was too impatient and got a GTX970, which fixes the extreme supercruise slowdown. A 350€ fix one really shouldn't have to do, but otherwise you're at the "mercy" of whenever they manage to sort out this particular issue.

Lach

So I got back into it after a year of not playing. Thanks to backing the game early, I got Horizons for free.

I just got into power play (go Aisling!). Is there a way the players in a faction are supposed to coordinate?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I was too impatient and got a GTX970, which fixes the extreme supercruise slowdown. A 350€ fix one really shouldn't have to do, but otherwise you're at the "mercy" of whenever they manage to sort out this particular issue.

Wow, the 970's really come down in price. If my 5870 hadn't broken and left me stuck with a GTX 9600 (ew) I could have waited. It's not that much more expensive than the 280X these days, 300 Eur for the 970 and 250 for the 280x.

hepburn3d

There's a story writing contest on Reddit if anyone wants a chance to win free copy of the game. I wrote one but not sure if it's too "romantic" for a space game.

So I finally nailed down the basics, blew some of my savings on upgrading the equipment on my Viper MkIV and made the trip down to Apam Napat.

How do I get an invite to the Neogaf group based in that area?

Name is CMDR Aoi Suisei

Top Bottom