• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

OK, I had an interesting problem when playing yesterday - wondering if anyone else has experienced the same.

I started on a planet, but the same behavior happened in space and supercruise, where i was getting around 35 fps, which would periodically shoot up to 60 and stay there for only a second or two at a time and then go back to 35 fps

I have an HD 7950 and i5-3570k (OC'd), and had been getting around 45fps on planets and 60 in space. Of course I would also experience the slow down in supercruise but it was always limited to supercruise.

I've updated to Crimson 15.12, but don't remember if this was my first time playing after the update. I also OC'd my RAM, but already ran memtest right after and this doesn't seem to be something that would happen as a result. I roll back driver versions, and see if that helps.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'll report back after I switch drivers.

Bought myself an Eagle today - to prevent me from crashing my 1.7mil insurance Vulture. Equipped it with best modules besides FSD and went off to the next planet do do some drifting. Damn, this is fun. Getting a sense for FA off with this feels easier than in space and it is soooo rewarding to fly few meters above the surface with the proximity sensor blinking all the time. Boost, adjust, boost adjust. SOO GOOD. Full immersion thanks to my DK2 and the HOTAS setup helps I guess.

Crashing from time to time but that's ok. It's not as bad in terms of damage as I expected. Ended up @ 64% hull when I landed.

Oh and landing with FA off is fucking impossible :D I will manage to get it smooth sometime I guess.

Just bought the core game during the Steam sale and I am in love with this game. I haven't played anything else since I got it 3 days ago and I have almost 30 hours logged already.

Starting out is a bit rough but I just bought myself an Adder last night. I was trying to make some money exploring with my sidewinder but the profit was pretty shit compared to how much time it was taking me to go out and explore.

Decided to do a bit of mining with the Adder. It was a bit time consuming because I was going in completely blind and wasn't sure how to mine. I eventually got the hang of it and I was quickly shot down by someone. Didn't even have a chance to react.

Pretty fucking fun.

No idea why GAF isn't into the game. I also feel like the overall community isn't as big as it should be. Did people just end up dropping off the game after release?

Jedi2016

The GAF Elite community is small, but dedicated. I've personally dropped over $400 on the game, counting things like TrackIR and a couple different HOTAS. Far more than the game itself, really.

I'm quite a long ways from nowhere right now, though, and heading away. Probably won't be back in the bubble for a couple months at least.

Onikaan

I'm quite a long ways from nowhere right now, though, and heading away. Probably won't be back in the bubble for a couple months at least.

You gathering up exploration data to sell?

I'm playing on the Xbox One. I really really hope they bring horizons to us. I Love this game.

Just set myself up for smuggling runs. Did a trial run and made a few mil. Man, sweaty hands coming in and out of stations at speed.

Hoping to save enough to buy myself a big boys space ship. Then boldly go where no CMDR has gone before

Trying to decide if I should buy a HOTAS X for 30 bucks or purchase Horizons. I'm just starting out so I feel like I might be ok holding off on Horizons for now.

Jedi2016

You gathering up exploration data to sell?
And seeing the sights. I'm an explorer at heart, it seems. While I can make more money faster back in the core systems, I start feeling the itch to just pick a direction and GO, you know? This will be the longest trip I've made by far, I'm basically going to hop the arms of the galaxy all the way around, probably a total round trip of well over 100K light years, and more jumps than I've made total to date. On the plus side, it should be a shitton of money and should be more than enough to get me Elite rank in exploration. The downside is it will probably be summer by the time I make it back.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
No idea why GAF isn't into the game. I also feel like the overall community isn't as big as it should be. Did people just end up dropping off the game after release?

Most of GAF isn't into sim type games, it's just not a hugely popular genre here. The community for Elite though is very strong actually, it has a rather high number of active players per day, and the official forums move super fast. For myself, Elite was far and away my most played game of last year, and considering how much I played games like Cities Skylines, Euro Truck, Diablo 3, DiRT Rally, and others, that is a very bold statement. :)

I'm an explorer at heart, it seems. While I can make more money faster back in the core systems, I start feeling the itch to just pick a direction and GO, you know? This will be the longest trip I've made by far, I'm basically going to hop the arms of the galaxy all the way around, probably a total round trip of well over 100K light years, and more jumps than I've made total to date. On the plus side, it should be a shitton of money and should be more than enough to get me Elite rank in exploration. The downside is it will probably be summer by the time I make it back.

You and me both! I'm on my way to the Far Rim right now, which is over 65,000ly from Sol, prospecting for the Distant Worlds Expedition that Erimus has formed over at the forums. After I reach Beagle Point (the furthest known reachable system from Sol) I plan to circumvent one side of the galaxy on a very slow trip back to civilized space. I won't be docking at any stations again until mid summer at the earliest! Unless of course I wreck my ship on the surface of some high gravity world along the way.....

I hope Frontier is able to work out the challenges of implementing Oculus SDK 1.0 prior or at least near launch of the headset. They would definitely be a stand out game among what will be available early. There may not be a massive number of VR users but the hype around it could bring more attention to the game if its support is timely.

What are you expecting as an answer from people in that thread? ;P
I honestly don't know! I've seen bits about the game and it looks like I'd enjoy just exploring the huge galaxy. I just have no idea if the Xbox version is garbage or if it's even worth 28 dollars.

Seems no one plays on xbox here though lol

I honestly don't know! I've seen bits about the game and it looks like I'd enjoy just exploring the huge galaxy. I just have no idea if the Xbox version is garbage or if it's even worth 28 dollars.

There are a few Xbox users here. Anton Sugar the thread creator plays on both platforms I believe.

Just bought the core game during the Steam sale and I am in love with this game. I haven't played anything else since I got it 3 days ago and I have almost 30 hours logged already.

Starting out is a bit rough but I just bought myself an Adder last night. I was trying to make some money exploring with my sidewinder but the profit was pretty shit compared to how much time it was taking me to go out and explore.

Decided to do a bit of mining with the Adder. It was a bit time consuming because I was going in completely blind and wasn't sure how to mine. I eventually got the hang of it and I was quickly shot down by someone. Didn't even have a chance to react.

Pretty fucking fun.

I made a post almsot identical to yours almost a year ago to the day about OG Elite Dangerous. Then a week or two later dropped the game entirely when i realized id seen and done pretty much everything it had to offer.
Its a game that people just seem to get quite bored of very quickly once the initial "wow! im in space!" factor wears off. I was hoping Horizons might tempt me back in, but it looks like theres not alot to planetary landing right now either.

patchday

Is Salvage always illegal to pickup? Seems really dumb too me. Everytime I go checkout a distress signal, etc its usually a ship wreck that I cant loot unless I want to get shot down. Since I'm a brand new nooblet I dont dare break the law. But maybe I should

In EVE Online Salvage was a proper profession. There was no such thing as illegal salvage

Elite dangerous in 28 dollars on xbox live on sale at the moment.

Is it worth jumping in?

I don't have a pc and won't be getting one.

I bought it for that price during the sale and love it. I haven't been playing anything else. it can be a little intimidating at first but after about a week I got the hang of flying/docking and how the game play works. You just have to be patient when learning; you're going to make mistakes. If you die you always get a free starer ship the only thing you will have to pay for are any upgraded components you add to it for a reduced percentage/insurance.

Yup, I play on X1, too--actually, more often than PC lately, but that has nothing to do with the game (I have a desk job, so I stare at a monitor all damned day already).

I just bought it for my younger bro (22), but didn't get a chance to show him how to play before I left the East Coast :( Gonna be interesting to explain/play with him over party chat...

LowerLevel

I bought it on Xbox One as well. I wanted to jump in full swing after finishing Fallout. Of course I still need to go through The Witcher too... But so far I'm quite impressed with Elite Dangerous. Hopefully the Xbox gets the Horizon expansion soon. Not going to lie though, the learning curve is pretty big at first. Seems to be one of those games you can't put down for too long because you might forget how to control your ship.

I bought it on Xbox One as well. I wanted to jump in full swing after finishing Fallout. Of course I still need to go through The Witcher too... But so far I'm quite impressed with Elite Dangerous. Hopefully the Xbox gets the Horizon expansion soon. Not going to lie though, the learning curve is pretty big at first. Seems to be one of those games you can't put down for too long because you might forget how to control your ship.

I put it down for 3 months after only maybe 5-6 hrs in game... i'm fucked lol... i don't remember anything and i'm shit scared to jump back in even though i really want to (XB1) in case they release Horizon for us.

Any good Xbox One specific (i tried to follow a PC one but so much was so different) beginners series of videos out there on YT that anyone can recommend?

Thanks for the replies guys! Fuck it I'm gonna buy it while it's still on sale.

Buying it on Xbox.com so it'll be downloaded and ready to go when I get home from work.

Wish me luck fellas :)

Lagamorph

So having taken quite a long break from this I've been starting to get back into things again. Haven't bought the Horizons expansion though, £39.99 seems far too expensive for what I'm playing.

Few questions though,

1) Is trading/smuggling/mining still the only way to earn any real money? Mining I just find incredibly dull and tedious, trading means I'd need to get a freighter and just fly back and forth along with scouring the web for profitable trade routes, and smuggling is pretty much the same except that Black Markets are still difficult to find since there still doesn't appear to be a way to look for them from the Galaxy Map, not even ones you've already discovered.

2) I'm still running a Cobra as my ship, but I feel it's time for an upgrade. What would be the best ship to upgrade to as an 'all-rounder'? So something that will work for Combat and Exploration, but still have a little cargo space for transporting a few things around if/when I need to. I imagine a few new ships have been added since I last played.
In terms of combat, my current loadout is a Pulse Laster, a Burst Laster and 2x Multi-cannons, all Gimbled.

Is Salvage always illegal to pickup? Seems really dumb too me. Everytime I go checkout a distress signal, etc its usually a ship wreck that I cant loot unless I want to get shot down. Since I'm a brand new nooblet I dont dare break the law. But maybe I should

In EVE Online Salvage was a proper profession. There was no such thing as illegal salvage
What I don't get is that even a point marked as "Salvageable Wreckage" is still classed as illegal. Surely salvage can't be illegal? I can see certain products being illegal, but I can't even salvage a Tea Canister because it's illegal?
And Occupied Life Pods, picking up an occupied life pod is illegal? Surely by picking it up and taking it to a space station I should be rewarded, not fined for carrying illegal cargo.

LowerLevel

I put it down for 3 months after only maybe 5-6 hrs in game... i'm fucked lol... i don't remember anything and i'm shit scared to jump back in even though i really want to (XB1) in case they release Horizon for us.

Any good Xbox One specific (i tried to follow a PC one but so much was so different) beginners series of videos out there on YT that anyone can recommend?

ObsidianAnt has some really good vids on YouTube. PC centric but can still be applied to Xbox I believe.

Thanks for the replies guys! Fuck it I'm gonna buy it while it's still on sale.

Buying it on Xbox.com so it'll be downloaded and ready to go when I get home from work.

Wish me luck fellas :)

Best of luck and just have patience with the game. If you even remotely enjoy Star Trek, Wing Commander, old school space games or astronomy you should enjoy this game. It made me want to get my telescope back from my mother.

patchday

So having taken quite a long break from this I've been starting to get back into things again. Haven't bought the Horizons expansion though, £39.99 seems far too expensive for what I'm playing.

Few questions though,

1) Is trading/smuggling/mining still the only way to earn any real money? Mining I just find incredibly dull and tedious, trading means I'd need to get a freighter and just fly back and forth along with scouring the web for profitable trade routes, and smuggling is pretty much the same except that Black Markets are still difficult to find since there still doesn't appear to be a way to look for them from the Galaxy Map, not even ones you've already discovered.

2) I'm still running a Cobra as my ship, but I feel it's time for an upgrade. What would be the best ship to upgrade to as an 'all-rounder'? So something that will work for Combat and Exploration, but still have a little cargo space for transporting a few things around if/when I need to. I imagine a few new ships have been added since I last played.
In terms of combat, my current loadout is a Pulse Laster, a Burst Laster and 2x Multi-cannons, all Gimbled.

What I don't get is that even a point marked as "Salvageable Wreckage" is still classed as illegal. Surely salvage can't be illegal? I can see certain products being illegal, but I can't even salvage a Tea Canister because it's illegal?
And Occupied Life Pods, picking up an occupied life pod is illegal? Surely by picking it up and taking it to a space station I should be rewarded, not fined for carrying illegal cargo.

I didnt know we could mine in this game. Interesting...

Wow securing a life pod should be a reward for sure unless the rescue bots are there

Hawk269

It is great on the Xbox One. Runs very well. Like others have said, there is a learning curve to the game and they don't really hold your hand, but after a while you get the hang of it. I am still learning myself, but getting better after every play session.

FiraB

Banned
Trying to decide if I should buy a HOTAS X for 30 bucks or purchase Horizons. I'm just starting out so I feel like I might be ok holding off on Horizons for now.

Get the HOTAS, specially if your getting star citizen later. Horizons is good but it can be bought down the line when they flesh it out more, planetary stuff isn't super mindblowing amazing but its neat(except super grav planets, hate those).

Onikaan

Yeah the Xbox version is brilliant. We just need Horizons...

Did a few smuggling runs in my Cobra and bought an Asp Explorer. Gonna head out and do some scanning. Need to relax and enjoy space. Smygglin' is sweaty work.

Khilandros

need to read a guide-- wondering how you avoiding getting scanned when you dock at station when you smuggles

Lineup with the slot from a safe distance, then use your chaffs and go full speed (or boost) into the mail slot. Once you're inside it is safe to slow down and land.

Sinistral

Picked this game up (not Horizons yet) during the Steam Winter Sale. Played a few days with the Steam Controller. Was serviceable. Bought a Thrustmaster HOTAS X for cheap today.

I found the following config online:

ED_T_F_Hotas_X_Ship_Crab_setup_v6_00_1_8.jpg

Played around with it for about an hour. And it was decent, probably great but I need to still learn it but I was curious.

Is it possible to get similar HUD pop up similar to a gamepad functionality as seen at the bottom of this:

Basically, holding down a button, and on screen getting 4(8) directional additional options to appear and triggered with the HAT on the joystick? SHIFTing does appear on the HOTAS setup but there's no HUD selection. I'm dumb, I want a visual cue.

I doubt anyone can help me, but I actually have a OLD HOTAS setup (it was the stick that came bundled with AC6 for Xbox360) and it just won't work right.

For some reason when it is all plugged in, 9/10 times the main stick calibration goes all wonky and gets stuck in the bottom right position.

The weird thing is, there is nothing wrong with the stick. When I disconnect the cable that connects the joystick to the throttle then everything returns to normal. I am wondering if I should open up the case on the throttle and see if there is just a messed up connection there or something.

I am tempted to just use the stick for controls and use my kb for throttle and stuff, but it would be nice to actually use both parts of the setup. The 360 pad works better than expected, but I would really like to have the full HOTAS experience....

Picked this game up (not Horizons yet) during the Steam Winter Sale. Played a few days with the Steam Controller. Was serviceable. Bought a Thrustmaster HOTAS X for cheap today.

I found the following config online:

Played around with it for about an hour. And it was decent, probably great but I need to still learn it but I was curious.

Is it possible to get similar HUD pop up similar to a gamepad functionality as seen at the bottom of this:

Basically, holding down a button, and on screen getting 4(8) directional additional options to appear and triggered with the HAT on the joystick? SHIFTing does appear on the HOTAS setup but there's no HUD selection. I'm dumb, I want a visual cue.

Are those the default set ups? I'm going to buy the HOTAS X tomorrow probably. I don't want to get too comfortable with the mouse and keyboard set up and then end up hating HOTAS set up.

I just know it'll feel pretty fucking cool to play with a stick. I've also never owned one before and I remember always wanting one when I was a kid.

Magitex

I wish I could justify grabbing Horizons, cause I love me some planetary exploration in Kerbal Space Program, but I'll be waiting for the price to flatline, just like with the base game. They're doing a great job by pushing people away with the aggressive pricing and it's disappointing to see none of the improvements will make it back to the base game as it's very lacking even after so many years in development; they're only hurting the long-term popularity of the game by doing so but whatever.

The main way I'm getting money at the moment is grinding combat zones. I'm too lazy for smuggling or trading right now. I should really be signing up with a power to take advantage of the bonus bounties, but I'm concerned I'll be interdicted too much while I'm trying to do stuff (nothing I love more than being interdicted constantly) so I've opted not to, unless it's controllable and/or become sensible in the past year. Does anyone know how common these are in uncontrolled systems?

My current objective is trying to put together a pirate ship for tackling NPC traders. The ones that rock 40 palladium and 300 gold etc. Right now I'm stuck in the Cobra which is completely overloaded and it's so bad I have to manually turn off the shield just to breath in it; I must have wasted quite a few million trying to get the ship to an acceptable state for the task, but it just can't be done effectively. It needs another internal slot at least because shooting the cargo hatch is a waste of time as I found out.
20 minutes of dogfighting with a type-9 in my under-equipped Cobra confirmed that. Nothing better than chipping away at a vessel much larger than yourself only to get a few grand instead of the promised 80t of cargo. The trader AI does not seem to fear death unfortunately so the only way is to use hatchets which means I have to drop shields or something else critical. Back to grinding bounty for me.

So next up on my pirate purchase list is the Asp Explorer at 6.6 million. I would've liked to field a large weapon but none of the larger ships seem suitable for a variety of reasons. The Diamondback explorer looked like a real good option with a price of only 1.7m and fielding a large weapon mount, but it has very little cargo space or internals. Having a large mount would have exponentially cut down on the time required to hit modules, but I need a whole lot of internals to do solo piracy effectively.

The Asp on the other hand is a little expensive on the hull damage, but has another internal slot over the Cobra's six, as well as some larger internal slots allowing me to both break hatches and field two collectors at the same time which is all important time saving (if I'm hoping to compete with credits/hour of bounty hunting). It can also carry around 100t of cargo which is mandatory if I hope to make profit instead of lose it as I have been. I'm not sure how I'm going to fare combat wise as the Asp is a little slower than the Cobra.. I've gotten used to being able to simply leave any encounter by slapping the booster, but I guess I'll just have to work on my powerplant sniping skills and hope it doesn't come down to that.

As for the piracy itself, the official method seems to involve waiting at nav beacons and hoping something will spawn (identical to bounty hunting it seems, boring), but now I sit around hightech stations waiting for a loaded type 6/7/9 to undock and then interdict it in the next system. I probably won't be able to compete with the profit from Combat zones since they respawn forever (silly) but at least it'll be more interesting, possibly even dangerous (!).
Someday, in one of these space games, I'll become a successful pirate. Every man, NPC, and their dog in these games is a pirate but no one makes a dime doing it which has baffled me for a long time. Will this be the one?

Sinistral

Are those the default set ups? I'm going to buy the HOTAS X tomorrow probably. I don't want to get too comfortable with the mouse and keyboard set up and then end up hating HOTAS set up.

I just know it'll feel pretty fucking cool to play with a stick. I've also never owned one before and I remember always wanting one when I was a kid.

No, wasn't default. Found this:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=178834&p=2757172#post2757172

Off of Reddit, and it looks to be highly recommended. I was actually surprised at the HOTAS X. Was real cheap ($65 CDN) to buy but it feels decent.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CXYMFS/?tag=neogaf0e-20 $34 USD on Amazon.com

need to read a guide-- wondering how you avoiding getting scanned when you dock at station when you smuggles

Practice getting through the mailslot at speed, treat every docking attempt like a smuggling one and you'll soon be able to do it without breaking a sweat.

In other news, still feeling out the Python trying to get a build I'm comfortable with while I grind for the jump from B to A ranked power plant, fucking thing is expensive. But man Vulture with Class 3 Beam and Pulse is a Res farming machine, my income is capped at around 10-15mil per hour because of the crash bug in Res.

Khilandros

For anyone looking into HOTAS X setup, seriously use these bindings - Custom setups for T.Flight Hotas X and Xbox 360 (Reference sheets) from CRAB.

This is what above is posted, but with link to download it, reference sheets and oh, HOTAS X SRV bindings.

I am using CRAB's bindings for everything Elite since getting my HOTAS X.

Enjoy

First thing I did when I got my Hotas X during the holidays, that setup is great. I also setup my SRV using the Crab Xbox controller bindings. Those bindings and Voice Attack have made my life so much better.

I made a post almsot identical to yours almost a year ago to the day about OG Elite Dangerous. Then a week or two later dropped the game entirely when i realized id seen and done pretty much everything it had to offer.
Its a game that people just seem to get quite bored of very quickly once the initial "wow! im in space!" factor wears off. I was hoping Horizons might tempt me back in, but it looks like theres not alot to planetary landing right now either.

Just found this post on Reddit. Guess a lot of people are a bit bummed with the game. These first 20 hours or so for me have been pretty great but I guess the magic wears off after a bit.

Magitex

Just found this post on Reddit. Guess a lot of people are a bit bummed with the game. These first 20 hours or so for me have been pretty great but I guess the magic wears off after a bit.
The game has a truly abysmal amount of content; feels like I saw everything after about 4 hours. The designers really don't understand how to make an interesting procedural world which doesn't help at all (ironic considering everything is supposed to be procedural, but gameplay sure isn't one of these things). On the combat side of things, everything is furball combat and nothing more. These people need to play Eve for a bit and check out the engagement variety.
The reddit post is correct that the issue isn't specifically content, but the gameplay mechanisms which drive it.

Overall, I quite like the game, but I can't hide my distaste for the lazy design of the gameplay, even after waiting all this time to get the game. I knew it'd be about as barebones as X:Rebirth with a slice of grind treadmill behind it, and knowing that helped a bit with the disappointment phase, but I already feel like I should have just re-subbed to Eve. I just wanted to fly stick immersively for once, sigh (something the game is really good at).

Onikaan

What kind of music do you folks listen to when playing?

The Halo soundtracks are brilliant for Elite. Mass Effect, too. Also listen to a lot of classical.

Pomerlaw

@Askherserenity

What do you mean by furball combat?

I think the combat/flight model in Elite is awesome. Can you give me an example of a space sim that does it better?

psylah

Man, I fired up this game after about 8 months only to find myself stranded in a system and unable to jump to any nearby star.

Took me about an hour, but what I assumed happened is that I had bought a Cobra and outfitted it for farming bogeys in the mining fields around a nearby gas giant, and had put on a weak, 2.5LY Frameshift Drive on it to maximize power to shield generators and weapons.

Just a warning, leave your ships in flying condition!

Onikaan

I don't know if you know or not, but you can be scanned by authorities when entering new systems. They'll interdict you, so
I've found the best thing to do is submit, turn and face them, and then boost past. Charge your FSD and gooooo.

Smuggling is so much fun. There's a huge risk/reward thing going on. Especially if you're carrying a lot of cargo, one scan and you've lost everything.

Burny

@Askherserenity

What do you mean by furball combat?

I think the combat/flight model in Elite is awesome. Can you give me an example of a space sim that does it better?

No idea what he meant, but I think that describes the current CZs pretty well. The basic flight mechanics are fantastic, but the CZs are just a bunch of ships having a go at each other and spawning in constantly. There is no tactics or a goal, it's just everybody shooting each other for the sake of it.

Top Bottom