• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Magitex

@Askherserenity

What do you mean by furball combat?

I think the combat/flight model in Elite is awesome. Can you give me an example of a space sim that does it better?
I think you mean me.

From wiki: By the end of January, 1991, the term "furball" became a popular word to describe the hectic situation of many dogfights, occurring at the same time within the same relatively small airspace.
Basically a whole bunch of fighters in a ball.

The flight model is okay/average. It's a butchered WW2 model that lacks a bit of depth.
The combat itself isn't my complaint, it's the lack of depth in skirmishes. It is literally just a ball of fighters circling each other; there's no variety in larger conflicts, and no cooperation.
Bounty hunting, conflict zones, powerplay missions etc; they all play out identically.

I'd love to give out comparisons and what not, but there isn't a great deal of games to compare to.

edit:
Just for examples I'll throw these out these two: Falcon 4 & Eve.
It feels like I bring up Eve every time I am whinging about space games but whatever.

The variety in conflicts in these two games is amazing, Elite is so far behind the curve I can't describe just how bad it is.

Onikaan

Some of the systems I'm smuggling goods to have outposts 300,000ls away!

It's insane. Wish this Cobra had a bunk and TV.

SmartBase

I think you mean me.

From wiki: By the end of January, 1991, the term "furball" became a popular word to describe the hectic situation of many dogfights, occurring at the same time within the same relatively small airspace.

The flight model is okay/average. It's a butchered WW2 model that lacks a bit of depth.
The combat itself isn't my complaint, it's the lack of depth in skirmishes. It is literally just a ball of fighters circling each other; there's no variety in larger conflicts, and no cooperation.
Bounty hunting, conflict zones, powerplay missions etc; they all play out identically.

I'd love to give out comparisons and what not, but there isn't a great deal of games to compare to.

edit:
It feels like I bring up Eve every time I am whinging about space games but whatever.

The variety in conflicts in these two games is amazing, Elite is so far behind the curve I can't describe just how bad it is.

I didn't know WW2 craft could go backwards and make use of manoeuvring thrusters, interesting.

But you're right and the only real variety in fights is in ring systems and that's only because of obstacles, otherwise it's all the same.

Pomerlaw

Ok I get your point now.

I think the ship to ship combat is excellent, but on the bigger scale, you have a point. Maybe if they added more dynamic capital ships it would help! The game is still WIP anyhow so maybe at a later time.

Some of the systems I'm smuggling goods to have outposts 300,000ls away!

It's insane. Wish this Cobra had a bunk and TV.

You can check this before you accept the mission though...

Magitex

I didn't know WW2 craft could go backwards and make use of manoeuvring thrusters, interesting.

But you're right and the only real variety in fights is in ring systems and that's only because of obstacles, otherwise it's all the same.
Did you also know that space craft can very easily swing about regardless of their speed? and they don't have gimped yaw for the sake of it. It's a butchered WW2 model where they had to make some strange characteristics for ships because there is no gravity to make for interesting dogfights.

Strangely enough with FA off, even Kerbal Space Program is easier to pilot in zero-g than Elite, mostly thanks to the game adjusting sensitivity wildly. My favorite part of the flight model is how you can't turn around unless you are doing the magical speed limit, even with FA off. I wasn't expecting a simulation but argh..

pomerlaw said:
I think the combat/flight model in Elite is awesome. Can you give me an example of a space sim that does it better?
If you're looking for a real newtonian starfighter game, Independence War 2 is where it's at. I hesitate to recommend Starshatter because other than the flight model, the fighters are garbage, but it's a good option if you're looking for newtonian battleships :D
Evochron does proper newtonian too. None of them are as bling as Elite though. If you're looking for WW2 physics similar to Elite, Freespace knows no equal (although you don't have lateral thrusters generally).

I'm probably forgetting a few, but honestly there aren't a great deal of these games out there. But as I said, the combat model isn't really the problem, it's the poor variety in combat situations and approach. It'd really help if we had some structures to pop, things to attack/defend, some kind of fleet action, the occasional capital being involved in gameplay etc.

Pomerlaw

Did you also know that space craft can very easily swing about regardless of their speed? and they don't have gimped yaw for the sake of it. It's a butchered WW2 model where they had to make some strange characteristics for ships because there is no gravity to make for interesting dogfights.

I think you said it all right there. They wanted, from the start, to go for the Star Wars model because... FUN.

Full newtonian combat is crap imo. And people saying it is more realistic are funny, because in the future, no one will dogfight in space on board of spaceships anyway. It would all be laser and missiles from far, far away. :)

Disable flight assist. There's your depth.

This.

BUT--Magitex, overall, is right. Encounter design (that is, Conflict Zones, RES, etc.) is dreadfully shallow. Battlegrounds never "end" except when the background sim decides to turn them off. There is zero sense of progression--you'll never "win" a battle in a Conflict Zone, because it's just a respawnable area. There are no unique encounters outside of "omg an Anaconda, I'm rich!" or the occasional capital ship (which really doesn't change the battle in any meaningful way, other than "don't go there" if you're the enemy or "go there" if you're the ally).

Magitex

Disable flight assist. There's your depth.
It's more like hardmode without benefits (especially with the odd sensitivity). Zero-g fighter don't handle like potatos.

Pomerlaw said:
Full newtonian combat is crap imo. And people saying it is more realistic are funny, because in the future, no one will dogfight in space on board of spaceships anyway. It would all be laser and missiles from far, far away. :)
IWar's newtonian is amazing to be honest (same with Starshatter). It is pretty hard at first though. I'm just not at all pleased about what they did to yaw in Elite.

Magitex

You couldn't be more wrong.
Do tell; I only know of strafe fire and going backwards/preserving speed boost. Also you can use it to get behind people by abusing boost.

I was amazed when we could maneuver in newtonian, only to find out (mid combat) that you can't turn properly anyway.

If you want variety and challenge, your best option for combat is CQC. The AI, unfortunately, isn't great and environments and scenarios currently available to fight in are super limited.

HelloMeow

Do tell; I only know of strafe fire and going backwards/preserving speed boost. Also you can use it to get behind people by abusing boost.

I was amazed when we could maneuver in newtonian, only to find out (mid combat) that you can't turn properly anyway.

When you disable flight assist, you accelerate faster, you turn faster, you can rotate and translate independently and there are no more limits on your horizontal, vertical and backwards speed (since those don't mean anything anymore anyways).

And above all, it feels great when you get used to it.

Magitex

All that said, I can't really control the ship in FA-OFF accurately anyway because the sensitivity is insane, is there some way to fix it other than using a macro to reduce joystick sensitivity? This coming from someone who is able to refuel in an F16 with a flying tanker in Falcon BMS, as well as fly other newtonian space sims regularly.
Heck I can't actually seem to modify stick sensitivity in Elite at all.

SmartBase

Strangely enough with FA off, even Kerbal Space Program is easier to pilot in zero-g than Elite, mostly thanks to the game adjusting sensitivity wildly. My favorite part of the flight model is how you can't turn around unless you are doing the magical speed limit, even with FA off. I wasn't expecting a simulation but argh..

If you're looking for a real newtonian starfighter game, Independence War 2 is where it's at. I hesitate to recommend Starshatter because other than the flight model, the fighters are garbage, but it's a good option if you're looking for newtonian battleships :D
Evochron does proper newtonian too. None of them are as bling as Elite though. If you're looking for WW2 physics similar to Elite, Freespace knows no equal (although you don't have lateral thrusters generally).

I'm probably forgetting a few, but honestly there aren't a great deal of these games out there. But as I said, the combat model isn't really the problem, it's the poor variety in combat situations and approach. It'd really help if we had some structures to pop, things to attack/defend, some kind of fleet action, the occasional capital being involved in gameplay etc.

I wasn't being serious but merely pointing out how silly it is to keep calling it a WW2 model when there are mechanics like thrusters and reversing which don't exist in that reference. The game's also had this flight model since around the first alpha three years ago, it's pretty clear what their intentions were with it.

Have you seen this?

There are maneuvers with FA off that simply aren't possible with it on.

I know this thread is probably littered with this question, but is there any update at all on ps4 release status? I want a space sim to play but to get this on my pc I'd have to update my graphics card, and if I do that I'd rather just update everything, and then I'd go star citizen. So before I spend upwards of a grand, is ps4 release happening within Q1-2 this year?

Magitex

I know this thread is probably littered with this question, but is there any update at all on ps4 release status? I want a space sim to play but to get this on my pc I'd have to update my graphics card, and if I do that I'd rather just update everything, and then I'd go star citizen. So before I spend upwards of a grand, is ps4 release happening within Q1-2 this year?
What kind of graphics card do you have? Are we talking potato-level? Game runs at 60 FPS near constantly on my fairly old 750ti.

When you disable flight assist, you accelerate faster, you turn faster, you can rotate and translate independently and there are no more limits on your horizontal, vertical and backwards speed (since those don't mean anything anymore anyways).

And above all, it feels great when you get used to it.

Not 100% true, and it's one of the more frustrating things about FA off flying in Elite. You have a maximum speed in game, so if you are at that speed in any one direction you have to decelerate first before you can strafe. FA on flight does this automatically, but in FA off you have to take it into account.

Basically, if your max speed is 100 and you're going 100 in the x direction, if you want to add velocity in the y direction you have to subtract from the x first. Now when you're rolling, pitching and thrusting all over, it becomes difficult to keep track of which direction you need to thrust to slow down to allow for maneuvers. And if you're boosting and above max speed? Forget it.

I understand why they did it to keep FA off pilots within the modified Newtonian rule set, but god damn is it annoying.

HelloMeow

Not 100% true, and it's one of the more frustrating things about FA off flying in Elite. You have a maximum speed in game, so if you are at that speed in any one direction you have to decelerate first before you can strafe. FA on flight does this automatically, but in FA off you have to take it into account.

Basically, if your max speed is 100 and you're going 100 in the x direction, if you want to add velocity in the y direction you have to subtract from the x first. Now when you're rolling, pitching and thrusting all over, it becomes difficult to keep track of which direction you need to thrust to slow down to allow for maneuvers. And if you're boosting and above max speed? Forget it.

I understand why they did it to keep FA off pilots within the modified Newtonian rule set, but god damn is it annoying.

Yes there is an upper limit, but with FA on, your reverse, horizontal and vertical speed is limited compared to your forward speed. That's not the case with FA off and it's a big advantage.

As long as you can control each thrust axis it's not too difficult to manage your velocity. Flight assist actually cheats with the physics to change the velocity vector. Depending on what ship you're flying, FA decelerates 2-6 times faster in certain directions than what would ever be possible with FA off. This is the only advantage it has.

Lagamorph

Just re-posting these questions for a new page to see if anyone can offer up some advice,

1) Is trading/smuggling/mining still the only way to earn any real money? Mining I just find incredibly dull and tedious, trading means I'd need to get a freighter and just fly back and forth along with scouring the web for profitable trade routes, and smuggling is pretty much the same except that Black Markets are still difficult to find since there still doesn't appear to be a way to look for them from the Galaxy Map, not even ones you've already discovered.

2) I'm still running a Cobra as my ship, but I feel it's time for an upgrade. What would be the best ship to upgrade to as an 'all-rounder'? So something that will work for Combat and Exploration, but still have a little cargo space for transporting a few things around if/when I need to. I imagine a few new ships have been added since I last played.
In terms of combat, my current loadout is a Pulse Laster, a Burst Laster and 2x Multi-cannons, all Gimbled.

Have you seen this?

There are maneuvers with FA off that simply aren't possible with it on.
In my opinion it's much easier on planets to make such maneuvers! I'm trying exactly this at the moment and was amazed how "easy" it is compared to some dog fighting in space. Can't hit shit :D Feels like sniping in space where I have to press the fire button the moment my crosshair is on the enemy. EDIT: I do use fixed weapons! It's a lot easier with gimbaled of course.

Need to try CQC though. Perhaps will do so now to get my ass kicked lol

Just re-posting these questions for a new page to see if anyone can offer up some advice,

1) Is trading/smuggling/mining still the only way to earn any real money? Mining I just find incredibly dull and tedious, trading means I'd need to get a freighter and just fly back and forth along with scouring the web for profitable trade routes, and smuggling is pretty much the same except that Black Markets are still difficult to find since there still doesn't appear to be a way to look for them from the Galaxy Map, not even ones you've already discovered.
Check out some RES points and do some bounty hunting. Check the enemies. If it is Python, Fer de Lance, Clipper, Cutter, Anaconda then stay there and kill them. If it's smaller ships, sign off to main menu and jump back in until you hit an instance where it's te case. There is "police" on low ressource extraction points to help you. Keep in mind to scan first. And do bring a kill warrant scanner with you.

Those bigger ships net you ~ 100k-180k a piece.
2) I'm still running a Cobra as my ship, but I feel it's time for an upgrade. What would be the best ship to upgrade to as an 'all-rounder'? So something that will work for Combat and Exploration, but still have a little cargo space for transporting a few things around if/when I need to. I imagine a few new ships have been added since I last played.
In terms of combat, my current loadout is a Pulse Laster, a Burst Laster and 2x Multi-cannons, all Gimbled.
what's your budget?
I'd say go for the ASP Scout. If combat is more your style, take the Vulture.

Bruno

I would recommend you get an ASP Explorer as an "all-rounder". It's also one of the best ships for long haul smuggling (which nets you 30-60mil per trip) and isn't incredibly expensive. On top of making amazing money from long haul smuggling you also level up your discovery and trade ranks at the same time. I used the Cobra MkIII and saved for a Vulture which I then used to grind high RES until I had 20~25mil for the ASP.

Once you have the ASP pick one of the following systems (I recommend Robigo).

17 Draconis
Aditi
Almagest
BD+22 4939
Canopus
Ceos
Exphiay
Fehu
HIP 74290
HIP 8396
LTT 9846
Quince
Robigo
Sothis
Takurua
Te Kaha

From there you can stock up on shadow delivery missions (start with 5~ or you will get interdicted WAY too often) and just deliver them all without getting scanned. It can be fun at times if you just enjoy flying, much much more fun than trading. Unfortunately right now RES farming just crashes my client every 15 minutes or so.

http://www.twitch.tv/hatebringertv - live for the next few hours smuggling

In my opinion it's much easier on planets to make such maneuvers! I'm trying exactly this at the moment and was amazed how "easy" it is compared to some dog fighting in space. Can't hit shit :D Feels like sniping in space where I have to press the fire button the moment my crosshair is on the enemy.

I think having a landmass as a constant point of reference REALLY helps with maintaining a sense of orientation. That's my main issue, or weakpoint, personally, with FA Off: I'm often going "oh fuck, so which direction am I moving in now??"

I think having a landmass as a constant point of reference REALLY helps with maintaining a sense of orientation. That's my main issue, or weakpoint, personally, with FA Off: I'm often going "oh fuck, so which direction am I moving in now??"
My problem is mostly the sensitivity and hitting the target :( tapping the stick and overturning again in the other direction :D Need to learn my muscle memory to automatically counter it with thrusters or something like this.

Perhaps better references besides the space dust to show in what direction you are drifting would help as well. The altitude bar (the thing on the right showing you if you are losing or gaining height) is great for this on the surface. Add this for all 3 axis and it is a lot easier I guess.

Lagamorph

I would recommend you get an ASP Explorer as an "all-rounder". It's also one of the best ships for long haul smuggling (which nets you 30-60mil per trip) and isn't incredibly expensive. On top of making amazing money from long haul smuggling you also level up your discovery and trade ranks at the same time. I used the Cobra MkIII and saved for a Vulture which I then used to grind high RES until I had 20~25mil for the ASP.

Once you have the ASP pick one of the following systems (I recommend Robigo).

17 Draconis
Aditi
Almagest
BD+22 4939
Canopus
Ceos
Exphiay
Fehu
HIP 74290
HIP 8396
LTT 9846
Quince
Robigo
Sothis
Takurua
Te Kaha

From there you can stock up on shadow delivery missions (start with 5~ or you will get interdicted WAY too often) and just deliver them all without getting scanned. It can be fun at times if you just enjoy flying, much much more fun than trading. Unfortunately right now RES farming just crashes my client every 15 minutes or so.

http://www.twitch.tv/hatebringertv - live for the next few hours smuggling

Hm, might go for the Asp Explorer, think I have almost enough Credits for it if I don't have them already. Seems like it'll work for Exploration and Combat which are my main avenues, but give me some room for Smuggling/Trading if I want to.
What kind of Weapon loadout would be recommended?
From reading the wiki I was thinking Turret weapons in the 4 Small Hardpoints since they seem to be below the cockpit and generally out of view, and some Gimballed weapons in the Medium Hardpoints.

Not the best looking of ships, but it'll be a good stop gap on the way towards perhaps an Imperial Clipper.

Yes there is an upper limit, but with FA on, your reverse, horizontal and vertical speed is limited compared to your forward speed. That's not the case with FA off and it's a big advantage.

As long as you can control each thrust axis it's not too difficult to manage your velocity. Flight assist actually cheats with the physics to change the velocity vector. Depending on what ship you're flying, FA decelerates 2-6 times faster in certain directions than what would ever be possible with FA off. This is the only advantage it has.

Yeah I noticed this once I started playing with FA off 90% of the time in larger ships. Trying to dock in a station when flying in from the wrong side, when you make that turn to wrap around the station and get in the mail slot, if you try it FA on you'll nail the turn, but with FA off you'll go zipping by, even applying lateral thrust as much as possible. FA on shouldn't let you cut drift so easily.

DrBo42

Hm, might go for the Asp Explorer, think I have almost enough Credits for it if I don't have them already. Seems like it'll work for Exploration and Combat which are my main avenues, but give me some room for Smuggling/Trading if I want to.
From reading the wiki I was thinking Turret weapons in the 4 Small Hardpoints since they seem to be below the cockpit and generally out of view, and some Gimballed weapons in the Medium Hardpoints.

Not the best looking of ships, but it'll be a good stop gap on the way towards perhaps an Imperial Clipper.

The hardpoint placement on the Asp explorer is better than you think, avoid turrets whenever possible. Huge power consumption and generally crap damage. I'd recommend doing some smuggling missions in it from Robigo etc until you can fund the ship you want. It's not a combat ship so I'd avoid fights when you can.

Magitex

The hardpoint placement on the Asp explorer is better than you think, avoid turrets whenever possible. Huge power consumption and generally crap damage. I'd recommend doing some smuggling missions in it from Robigo etc until you can fund the ship you want. It's not a combat ship so I'd avoid fights when you can.
What's wrong with the Asp Explorer for combat?

Magitex

I don't think there's anything wrong with it specifically. Just wouldn't be my choice to do combat in considering the other ships available.
Hmm, if you find my spiel a couple posts up, it seems like the best choice for a pirate ship. It has a ton of internals and a whole lot of cargo space and doesn't sacrifice much for it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3zwd38/asp_vs_corvette_in_cherets/
I mean you can even ram people with it for jollies.

It's not a primary combat ship though, even still.

Bruno

Honestly I feel like if you want to do exploration and combat, you should use the ASP for exploring and get a better combat specific ship. The ASP is alright for combat but it's nowhere as good or as fun to fly as a Vulture IMO. You can just gear out both and park the Vulture when you want to do some exploring - once you're done swap ships again.

At first I wanted to try to stick with one ship for "all-around" use but I quickly learned it just isn't that efficient. I kept my Cobra MkIII because it was the first ship I really enjoyed but I'm all over the place now trying out new ships just to see what I like and dislike.

---------
Unrelated : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymyEZHP5mrk

HelloMeow

Yeah I noticed this once I started playing with FA off 90% of the time in larger ships. Trying to dock in a station when flying in from the wrong side, when you make that turn to wrap around the station and get in the mail slot, if you try it FA on you'll nail the turn, but with FA off you'll go zipping by, even applying lateral thrust as much as possible. FA on shouldn't let you cut drift so easily.
Exactly. Using FA for braking horizontally and vertically grinds you to a halt faster than anything else. It's fun to abuse. It has to look ridiculous when the larger ships do it.

patchday

I think you mean me.

edit:

um, why would you bring up Eve in regards to combat. I've played EVE for a long time. It's a mouse clicker. A very well done and fun mouse clicker. During fleet battles with my Alliance I'd zoom all the way out to where my ship was just a plus sign and give commands. Nothing wrong with that- but obviously its a totally different game in regards to combat

You should compare this game to Star Citizen and other space sims (like X3: Reunion) if you're going to go there

Magitex

um, why would you bring up Eve in regards to combat. I've played EVE for a long time. It's a mouse clicker. A very well done and fun mouse clicker. During fleet battles with my Alliance I'd zoom all the way out to where my ship was just a plus sign and give commands. Nothing wrong with that- but obviously its a totally different game in regards to combat

You should compare this game to Star Citizen and other space sims (like X3: Reunion) if you're going to go there
Was referring to situational combat variety in this post, not control methods.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Thank fucking god. The supercruise bug is finally fixed as of Crimson 16.1 :D. AMD users can finally use proper drivers while playing the game in Windows 10.

Radeon owners and Win10 users rejoice! Can anyone confirm this?

If this is true, must keep my resolve not to build another PC around my R9 280X to replace my laptop... I don't need... - BUT I WANT... - but I DON'T NEED...! >.<

Haha, it was true for me tonight when I fired it up. Actually, I was recently having this weird problem where I was getting a constant 36ish fps, but it fixed that as well. So now I pretty much get 60 fps in supercruise. It slows down a little when getting close to planets, but its sooo much better than it was before. It doesn't gradually fall down to 25-30!

I'm on a 7950 btw.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Radeon owners and Win10 users rejoice! Can anyone confirm this?

If this is true, must keep my resolve not to build another PC around my R9 280X to replace my laptop... I don't need... - BUT I WANT... - but I DON'T NEED...! >.<

Can confirm. Supercruise never drops below 38 FPS for me now. And that's in what I assume is a pretty busy starting system with a lot of players. This is on High/Ultra with FX6300 and an 280X. It's still kind of silly to drop more than half your frames (From 82 FPS to 38 lol) but at least it's much better now

Haha, it was true for me tonight when I fired it up. Actually, I was recently having this weird problem where I was getting a constant 36ish fps, but it fixed that as well. So now I pretty much get 60 fps in supercruise. It slows down a little when getting close to planets, but its sooo much better than it was before. It doesn't gradually fall down to 25-30!

I'm on a 7950 btw.

It only went down to 25-30 for you? My average was 15 FPS but it went as low as 8 FPS at times too :lol

Lagamorph

Honestly I feel like if you want to do exploration and combat, you should use the ASP for exploring and get a better combat specific ship. The ASP is alright for combat but it's nowhere as good or as fun to fly as a Vulture IMO. You can just gear out both and park the Vulture when you want to do some exploring - once you're done swap ships again.

At first I wanted to try to stick with one ship for "all-around" use but I quickly learned it just isn't that efficient. I kept my Cobra MkIII because it was the first ship I really enjoyed but I'm all over the place now trying out new ships just to see what I like and dislike.
The problem with doing that though is the cost of the ships and equipment. I find the main money makers, trading and mining, to be dull and tedious, so it takes me a while to actually get a significant amount of cash from just occasional combat and exploration. My main sources of income really are when Exploration and Bounty Hunting Community Goals come along (Though the latest bounty hunting community goal was pretty shit since it seemed to be in the system with the fewest wanted criminals in the entire galaxy) and I can get the community reward sums.

Tried it for the first time yesterday and it's not bad. In fact I really like it to play for a few rounds and call it a day.

Recorded it but something went wrong with it. Exported it again today - right now it's only 360p, perhaps HD is being added later - seems like a youtube error at the moment anyway

=> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE2C0fVtg8k

It only went down to 25-30 for you? My average was 15 FPS but it went as low as 8 FPS at times too :lol

I guess 25-30 is a little generous. The lowest was probably 20-25. It definitely never went below 20 that I can remember. But it would get lower the longer I went in supercruise. And looking at an fps/framtime monitor in afterburner, it would "step" down over time. So the lowest would be when transiting to other stars in the same system.

Maybe our differences are cpu related? i5-3570k at 4.3 here.

But yeah, this one fix is so amazing. Playing the game yesterday was like Christmas morning!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I guess 25-30 is a little generous. The lowest was probably 20-25. It definitely never went below 20 that I can remember. But it would get lower the longer I went in supercruise. And looking at an fps/framtime monitor in afterburner, it would "step" down over time. So the lowest would be when transiting to other stars in the same system.

Maybe our differences are cpu related? i5-3570k at 4.3 here.

But yeah, this one fix is so amazing. Playing the game yesterday was like Christmas morning!

Ah yes, that may very well be the case :p. The issue was that Elite essentially became single-threaded somehow during supercruise and it's no surprise that an i5 has better single-threaded performance than a FX6300

hepburn3d

X-post from Reddit. Free Cobra skin in February's PC Gamer. Been to Tesco, wasn't in yet :(

s7cu5xGh.jpg

hepburn3d

Went on my first long distance trip in an Asp. Did my first bit of driving on a planet. Been using the steam controller. Works great. Triggers are better for throttle than bumpers. Much more comfortable.

Have to say landing on planets makes exploration 100 times more fun.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Okay, so now that I can finally play the game properly (well, it still drops 50% of my framerate in supercruise, from 80 to 40), what are some good settings for a 360 pad? I tried the different presets in the game but they are kinda ehh. Is there a way to use the Left Stick button as a modifier to switch to thrusters so you can strafe?

Perhaps mouse and keyboard controls would be better, could just set it up like I set Descent up :p

Top Bottom