• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

EliteDangerous64%202016-11-14%2017-43-57_zpsy7ibpjhp.jpg

pmvemcM.gif

What a travesty, for awhile there deep space passenger missions were actually both fun and profitable, now they are just insulting. They better change it back. What is with Frontier destroying their own new gameplay features?

HAHAHAHA

This barely pays the fracking FUEL !

WTF.

zorbsie

Those new passenger payouts are terrible. Just got back from a 3000Ly mission that paid 1.6M. The exploration data I got out of it was worth 1.3M. Not a bad mission. But now. ugh.

On a side note, what is ship integrity? I checked advanced maintenance and the cost to repair was 400k. That seems really high after a 3000Ly trip.

EliteDangerous64%202016-11-14%2017-43-57_zpsy7ibpjhp.jpg

pmvemcM.gif

What a travesty, for awhile there deep space passenger missions were actually both fun and profitable, now they are just insulting. They better change it back. What is with Frontier destroying their own new gameplay features?

Bingo. Completely kills my interest in long distance passenger missions/exploration.

Frozone

Part of me is absolutely DYING to play this in VR. Although I can't justify the cost of whacking out on a Vive. I reckon I'd be absorbed way past the grind if I was actually ... there. I keep searching around to see if anyone has had any joy using OSVR, but I don't see many use cases for it anywhere.

Playing this game in VR is simply the best experience I've had in gaming. While I could never get the right amount of patience to stomach the level grinding and mission grinding, I am much more patient playing this in VR. I'm hoping for some good gameplay changes in the near future. Totally worth the experience if you can get ahold of a VR headset.

Effect

Ugh. Stuck at the moment in regards to what to do. Grinded my way up to be able to finally purchase an Anaconda but the upgrading cost were insane. So after flying it a bit I just went back to my Python. Not going to bother again until I have money to upgrade the things right away. Even then I don't really care to fly something that big. I thought it would be okay but no. The Python is my limit I think but even it took me getting A-rated thrusters to make flying the thing okay. So I guess I'll in the future what a A-rated Anaconda or Corvette feels like.

So last night after getting back to where I originally was but several million poorer because of the money I lost on the purchase and selingl of the conda I messed around more with the Keelback I had and the fighter I had on it. Still torn on the thing. I like the idea of deploying a fighter but no way will I be able to handle anything serious in that thing. I wonder if it's possible to engineer a Keelback to the point it won't be blown up right away as soon as a fight starts.

That or maybe I should have just gone for the Federal Gunship. I'm seriously leaning in that way because passenger missions have become dull. I expected them to since they're really at their core delivery/hauling missions with some extra stops. Combat while a grind is at least interesting. I have enough money for the Gunship and enough to outfit reasonably but that thing is going to be a pain to get used to as I think it feels more like the Dropship then it does the FAS which was pretty nimble considering it's size.

Pyrogeek

How do Vive people play this? I'm worried that my HOTAS won't line up in game. Does that really matter?

There is a bindable key that resets and centers your headset's position. I am sorry but I'm not home right now and haven't played in a few weeks so can't remember what the exact option is called or whether it is bound to something by default or not.

It did make things convenient. I would just sit down, find a comfortable position for my HOTAS and then hit the reset keybinding and be good to go.

Frozone

There is a bindable key that resets and centers your headset's position. I am sorry but I'm not home right now and haven't played in a few weeks so can't remember what the exact option is called or whether it is bound to something by default or not.

It did make things convenient. I would just sit down, find a comfortable position for my HOTAS and then hit the reset keybinding and be good to go.

I was worried about this which is why I bought the Oculus instead. I don't have enough room for moving around in my office. The binding of head position is very good. I hardly ever have to recenter it like I had to with the DK2 headset.

DrBo42

Yeah, can't imagine a nerf of that magnitude was intended. The payouts for the long distances weren't even enough before IMO. They probably tried to bring the amount down for the <100ly trips bringing in millions and fucked it up gloriously in classic FD style.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah, can't imagine a nerf of that magnitude was intended. The payouts for the long distances weren't even enough before IMO. They probably tried to bring the amount down for the <100ly trips bringing in millions and fucked it up gloriously in classic FD style.

I made a post on the official forums asking for an answer on the mission payouts. They did a server patch today to fix the broken missions but just ended up reducing the majority of passenger missions to the crap level, and no one seems to know if it's intended or not, so I'm asking Frontier for some clarity:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...hetic-now-can-you-confirm-this-is-intentional

I was just starting to enjoy passenger missions too, but fuck it for now.

SmartBase

I'm not sure I have enough years left in me to flip Apam Napat back to GAF's control, there's far too much opposition from other players doing missions for the other factions. Might give it another week of grinding before moving on.

Burny

I'm not sure I have enough years left in me to flip Apam Napat back to GAF's control, there's far too much opposition from other players doing missions for the other factions. Might give it another week of grinding before moving on.

Alone you probably have no hope whatsoever of making a dent. I'd like to help out, but won't be of much help anyway, due to far to limtied playtime. :p

SmartBase

Alone you probably have no hope whatsoever of making a dent. I'd like to help out, but won't be of much help anyway, due to far to limtied playtime. :p

I know there's a few of us here but evidently it's nowhere near enough. It doesn't help that the only way to really change influence is to grind nonexistent missions.

Burny

I know there's a few of us here but evidently it's nowhere near enough. It doesn't help that the only way to really change influence is to grind nonexistent missions.

Doesn't mode-hopping for generating missions work or is the probability of one suitable mission showing up to low even then?

About this mode hopping thing... It's by now more or less a tolerated way to game the system and sometimes even the pretty much only way to even get somet suitable mission, seeing as random missions could otherwise leave you with a scenario where your ship and equipment is unsuitable for every spawned mission. Seeing as this is more or less part of the game however, why don't they add the option to re-roll missions? Put a little fee on it, explain that's for asking around and offer a "re-roll" button, which generates a new board of missions with the current system parameters. It would spare people to hassle of the mode-hopping.

I'm sure that die hard white knights and apologists would argue that something bla bla immersion can't just have regenerate missions, but really, how immersive is it for a freighter with 500t of cargo to take a single delivery mission filling 50 of those, running with a mostly empty cargo hold? Min maxing is part of the game after all.

SmartBase

Doesn't mode-hopping for generating missions work or is the probability of one suitable mission showing up to low even then?

About this mode hopping thing... It's by now more or less a tolerated way to game the system and sometimes even the pretty much only way to even get somet suitable mission, seeing as random missions could otherwise leave you with a scenario where your ship and equipment is unsuitable for every spawned mission. Seeing as this is more or less part of the game however, why don't they add the option to re-roll missions? Put a little fee on it, explain that's for asking around and offer a "re-roll" button, which generates a new board of missions with the current system parameters. It would spare people to hassle of the mode-hopping.

I'm sure that die hard white knights and apologists would argue that something bla bla immersion can't just have regenerate missions, but really, how immersive is it for a freighter with 500t of cargo to take a single delivery mission filling 50 of those, running with a mostly empty cargo hold? Min maxing is part of the game after all.

Different modes have different sets of missions but they don't generate new ones just from switching, you need to wait 10-15 minutes for a mission refresh. Ideally you'd have other ways of helping your faction gain influence that doesn't include the shitty networked mission board (or they could improve it), but it is what it is.

Actually I think that's my current attitude towards the rest of the game's underdeveloped bits, two years after release I'm just going to have to accept it for what it is.

E-flux

How do Vive people play this? I'm worried that my HOTAS won't line up in game. Does that really matter?

It doesn't really matter after a while, galaxy map doesn't work in vr for me at all. It kinda spawns around you so when i try to click on things that are in the background it might click on a star that is behind my view or something. Also planetary landings are out of question, having tried all of the vr settings i still get poor fps when using srv. I have a 1070 and i7 4790k processor so i don't have the worst pc out there.

SmartBase

Really? I thought that what all the mission stacking was about. Logging out and relogging into the game, switching modes all the time until you've stacked enough missions.

That link is still correct, you just can't refresh mission boards from modes you've already taken missions from unless you wait 10-15 minutes. So: take missions from Open, then Private, then Solo. If you go back to Open you won't get another set unless you wait for the refresh. This is all assuming that I haven't been doing something wrong this whole time.

Mugen08

Oh no, I just bought the Horizons season pass to try to go for some passenger missions. I've almost finished grinding funds to buy cabins and other suitable equipment for long range missions (e.g. fuel scoop) and now you tell me there is substantially less money to earn from it? :(

Ok, found the source for the passenger mission fix:

Also included are the updated mission templates:
It appears that the templates didn't properly update, we'll reapply those as part of this morning's 2.2.02 update.

The changes in summary are:
Bring delivery and courier missions back up, although bring down the top end slightly for things like the extreme runs
The passenger missions were a little too high for the normal bulk types, so bring them down a bit

Note that the expedition type has not been touched at all.

It's worth bearing in mind that they are procedurally generated so it is possible to get extremes and makes it a lot of fun to balance, so we'll continue to tweak as necessary.
Michael

Hi all,
I have been looking at the mission rewards and have located an issue with the the long range expedition missions. It's likely the reason you are seeing lower rewards on those missions. We will try to get that tested and push it live as soon as we can. Apologies for the inconvenience.
As mentioned by the OP this is an ongoing process that we will be monitoring and hopefully continually improving.
Thanks,
Adam.

Good to know. Cautiously optimistic.

Passenger missions getting another balance pass (increased rewards) this morning: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/308000-Balancing-Mission-Rewards?p=4792517#post4792517

Good morning all.

Within the next couple of hours you should start to see an increase to passenger mission rewards. As I mentioned before this is an ongoing process, but I would like to say that there was no intention to nerf passenger missions so much that they were not viable. So long as these changes work as expected (and as we have seen through in house testing), I will look at the data for all missions again next week to see where we are compared to the pre-2.2 rewards. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Adam

Beluga paints available: https://www.frontierstore.net/usd/g...s-game-extras/beluga-tactical-paint-pack.html

Jedi2016

What excatly is the point of painting the shiny white Beluga in... white? Is the shader a different or are we talking ever so slught white variations? :p
It's a different shade, and I think the tactical paints are matte. But the ship is so shiny.. seems sacrilege to put any kind of matte paint on it.

Sibylus

Banned
Picked up a Type 7 for the medicines to emancipated slaves CG. It's a brick, but I like the cockpit, the sheer size, and all 272 tons of cargo space. Got into the top 75% in one run. More later.

BTW- Are there more rebalances coming for missions and passenger missions? Everything is worth peanuts right now. 1-2.5 million credits for a 115 LY delivery was a nice way to top off a successful rank completion, but now it's worth not even half that.

Picked up a Type 7 for the medicines to emancipated slaves CG. It's a brick, but I like the cockpit, the sheer size, and all 272 tons of cargo space. Got into the top 75% in one run. More later.

BTW- Are there more rebalances coming for missions and passenger missions? Everything is worth peanuts right now. 1-2.5 million credits for a 115 LY delivery was a nice way to top off a successful rank completion, but now it's worth not even half that.

Passenger missions are being buffed soon. They admit they goofed. Unclear if they're going back to original rewards though.

Sibylus

Banned
Passenger missions are being buffed soon. They admit they goofed. Unclear if they're going back to original rewards though.

Only the passenger missions, or everything? Because from where I'm sitting almost no missions are worthwhile anymore, and there are barely any to stack anymore either. Bulk commodity trading and CGs seem like the only way to go as trading is concerned.

Effect

I really don't have any desire to do any of the missions now with their payouts even after the "fix". Anything that looks similar to the old payout for a passenger mission is so far away it's a huge time sink. I'm not about to travel 1000 lys just to make 2 to 3 million! It's actually 2000 because these are round trip missions. I don't even like doing the local sight seeing tours that much. I used to be able to get delivery/hauling missions that might pay out 600k to 900k with a full cargo hold in my Python or Asp because of my high rank with the faction and trade rank. The only things even approaching that are these assassination missions or smuggling. Everything else is so low now for me. If I just had a Cobra then maybe but wouldn't be able to survive those mission anyway in a ship that weak.

I understand the need to balance things but these balances have just increased the grind for me in a way I'm just not okay with.

yeah, same here. all this stupid "rebalancing" of the game has almost completely put me off playing it. also been getting an insane amount of matchmaking server disconnects recently, incredibly annoying and frustrating disconnect message to get when you're playing in solo.

I was thinking about going out to formidine rift, but getting disconnected like every three jumps I'll probably not bother going out there. not even doing it for the cg, but because I've stupidly/hilariously read most of the elite dangerous books. and enjoy visiting all the systems mentioned in the books for some god damned reason, even with there inevitably not being anything at all special about those systems vs anything else in the game. hehe.

Lots of info on the next 2.2 patch. They'll actually be doing a patch beta at some point, too?

The next release we're currently working towards is a 2.2 update which will be arriving soon, along with a short beta.

We wanted to take the time to discuss the changes we're making to give you folk a heads up, and explain our thinking a little. We've separated the various changes out into their own posts to keep the feedback channel nice and clean. Mark and I will hopefully be able to jump in to answer follow up questions.

Powerplay: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/309692-2-2-Update-Powerplay

The changes to we're making to Powerplay are to address some issues raised by the community. The focus is to reduce the effectiveness of internal sabotage, and to make NPC ships belonging to the various powers more discerning, only getting in your face when you are actually engaging in Powerplay activities.

Combat Balance (TONS of adjustments coming): https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/309693-2-2-Update-Combat-Balance-Adjustments

Fixed vs Gimbal Weapons:
We think there’s still too big a gap between fixed and gimballed weapons – fixed weapons do have a substantially higher damage in most cases, but this isn’t offsetting the current benefit to time-on-target the gimbals provide. We’d like to make the choice between these two more interesting, but without making the raw damage gap wider. To do this we’re looking at giving fixed weapons improvements to efficiency and their ability to sustain fire, and making gimbals less of a guarantee to hit – they will still perform the intended job of levelling the playing field a little for new players or those using less accurate control systems, but do so in a hopefully more interesting way and to a slightly lesser extent.

Defending modules:
We want players to have a little more choices available to defend their modules once shields are down, and reduce the reliance on a shield-heavy metagame.

Cannons:
These weapons are relatively powerful, but generally not enough to offset their current downsides. They’re also one of the weapons that have the highest difficulty to use when fixed rather than gimballed, so we’d like to reward players that can do so successfully a little more.

Plasma Accelerators:
These weapons have many of the same drawbacks as cannons, with the added cost that they are very power hungry and hot. Rather than just buffing them to be “hot purple cannons” we’d like to carve out a distinct role for these powerful weapons – breaking through the heavy damage resistance of tough engineered vessels.

Beam vs Burst Lasers:
At the moment these two weapons fill a similar role in a lot of ways. Beams see a fair amount of use but there is not a clear reason for people to choose burst laser. We’d like to adjust the trio of Pulse/Burst/Beam so that there is a clear choice that leads to each weapon: Pulse is the efficient compromise, Burst is the most efficient at turning WEP energy into damage but requires a lot of reactor power and increases heat, Beam generates substantially the most DPS, but drains WEP heavily and generates the most heat.

Torpedos:
These weapons are punished too heavily by ECM at the moment. We’re going to make a focused change and see how things settle before further adjustments.

Slugshots:
Slugshots have immense burst DPS until their clip runs dry, but were not pulling their weight in most combat situations. Their current incarnation has lead to them being used by a very small number of people, and most commonly in ambush/griefing attacks. We’d like to make them more widely useful without losing their distinguishing traits.

Railguns:
These weapons are very under-used at the moment, but we’re holding off on changes to them until we see how related changes take effect. Already in this build the Module Defence Packs will likely increase the reliance on hull and make module sniping more useful, and changes to NPC accuracy with railguns should make them less uncannily good with them. Our best guess is that they need a heat reduction, and the ability to pierce all or some of the absorption of Module Defence Packs, but this will be considered later.

Missiles:
Missiles feel like they need some improvements again, but as with railguns, we need to see how things settle again before changing things further – they could be extremely powerful if hull-tanking becomes more common.

Reboot/Repair and Shields:
We’re making a change to reboot/repair and how it interacts with shields - primarily as an experiment to see how it reduces downtime between combats, especially for ships with very large shields.

Engineer Blueprint rebalance: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...Update-Engineer-Blueprint-Balance-Adjustments

Engineer Blueprint Balance

There are one or two focussed changes to reduce the power where blueprints are overpowered or too prolific, the changes here are primarily about buffs to make making a lot more blueprints into competitive choices for players, and defining roles for some where their intent wasn't clear. Note that while there are a lot of buffs, we're not intending to increase the maximum power of engineered vessels (it's actually shrinking slightly compared to base ships), but there will be a lot more ways to reach that power. None of these changes are final until they've been tested in Beta, feedback welcome!

Where Blueprints have been modified this will affect existing items, which will be updated as if they had been always rolled with the new recipe – removed attributes will be stripped off, new ones will be rolled, existing ones will be mapped into the new range (for example if you previously got an 8 on a 0-10 attribute, and the attribute is now 5-25 you will get a 21). These changes are based on discussion from Sandro, mike & myself, comments in Italic are explaining the rationale behind each set of changes.

New Recipes:
Unlock Grade 5 Burst Laser from Broo Tarquin.
Unlock Grade 5 Beam Laser from Broo Tarquin .
Unlock Grade 5 Mines from Juri Ishmaak.
Unlock Grade 5 Missiles from Liz Ryder.
Unlock Grade 5 Torpedos from Liz Ryder.
Unlock Grade 5 Railguns from Tod ‘The Blaster’ McQuinn.
Unlock Grade 4&5 Hull Reinforcement Thermal/Kinetic/Explosive resistance Blueprints from Selene Jean.
Unlock Grade 4&5 Armour Thermal/Kinetic/Explosive and Advanced Blueprints from Selene Jean.
Unlock Grade 4&5 Shield Booster Thermal/Kinetic/Explosive Blueprints from Didi Vatermann

And (live now?) 120 new tourist destinations added to the game: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/309697-New-Tourist-Locations-Added

Sibylus

Banned
Yeah, motive to pick up the game and continue the CG even has flatlined. What's really to do other than goof around in my Asp? And even then the risk of blowing up sets me back so far.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The economy/mission structure combined with the amount of time things take needs a complete rethink, which is likely not to happen.

Top Bottom