• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Jedi2016

Just traveled 8000+ ly to find out I have about 3ly to little range to make it to my destination. The fucking place demands jump ranges close to 90 ly.

Oh well that's one 20 mil mission to hell.

At least I got some exploration data out of it though.
Hm. Makes me wonder how crazy a jump range you can get if you stack a neutron boost with Liquid Schwartz. Are they multiplicative?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Hen 2-23. "Glorious nebula".

Wow, that's a passenger target? Doesn't that nebula require FSD boosts to get to? I hadn't realized that any passenger missions would be needing jumponium, now I kind of want to do that one, LOL.

Hm. Makes me wonder how crazy a jump range you can get if you stack a neutron boost with Liquid Schwartz. Are they multiplicative?

No, they don't add.

Cimarron

Good lord the timers on the galactic powers deliveries or tedious. I am begining to 2nd guess trying to grind my rank for Felicia. :-/

Burny

Huh? I thought the faces bug was fixed, when the HUD colors are modified?

screenshot_000000syo.png

Edit: Oh, and yes. The Neo Galactic Adventure Force has next to no missions available. Great starting point for increasing influence.

SmartBase

Edit: Oh, and yes. The Neo Galactic Adventure Force has next to no missions available. Great starting point for increasing influence.

I wouldn't bother with missions unless the faction's in a civil war or something. Otherwise even if you don't care about decent pay you barely ever get the mission types you want, if there are any at all.

They fixed it for a vast majority of HUD colors but some combinations still cause issues. Changing HUD colors isn't officially supported so they said they might not be able to fully fix it all possible color combinations.

Volimar

They fixed it for a vast majority of HUD colors but some combinations still cause issues. Changing HUD colors isn't officially supported so they said they might not be able to fully fix it all possible color combinations.

Which is ridiculous. How can they not have customizable HUD colors still...

Burny

I wouldn't bother with missions unless the faction's in a civil war or something.

Draconis 17. Killing skimmers counts towards ship massacre missions. The payouts are Federal compared to the effort and it's pretty effective at building Federation Rep on top due to the ability to stack missions. Hard to resist, really, even though it's the typical "exlpoitative" pattern of all the high money runs discovered so far and eventually "fixed" at some point only to be replaced by newly discovered ones in other places. Still, unless Frontier gets their act together and balances mission payouts/rank progressions etc. to not be a life crushing grind, that's the best we have in terms of "quick" progress.

Thanks for the hint. Not setting any colors to "0" actually improves the issue, although the shade on my portraits is still notable. But the light blue HUD with green highlight color is a very refreshing change from the vanilla orange. Let's hope Frontier slips HUD color modification in between the other QoL updates at some point. And doesn't make it a payed item, like the laser colors. :p I don't mind laser colors, but starting to ask money for something that was previously freely available would be low.

I thought they stealth nerfed Draconis 17 this past week? Reddit was saying it was no longer giving out a ton of massacre missions after the cat was out of the bag.

Burny

I thought they stealth nerfed Draconis 17 this past week? Reddit was saying it was no longer giving out a ton of massacre missions after the cat was out of the bag.

If that's the case, I have a hard time imagining how ridiculous the payouts have been before. I regularily find massacre missions worth anything between 400k and 11 Mio. credits.

This has now become the credit grinder:

Bought the game a few days ago but I'm waiting my double Thrusmaster T-1600M to play. Some advices? I'm playing solo.

Yes. Don't wait! Mouse + Keyboard is perfectly serviceable and arguably beats a HOTAS in some respects. ;-) On top of that, having gotten familiar with the game, you'll have a much easier time finding a good keybinding on the HOTAS that suits you, if you're already able to play with mouse+keyboard.

See for yourself.

Other than that, don't expect missions do be any good for earning money or progressing. At the start, look for how bounty hunting in your Sidewinder works and make sure to get a better ship than the starting Sidewinder.

You don't trust me?

HAHAHA, hey, I'm just here for the money, bro! If there's a chance it's still working, might as well give it a shot. I have 70+ million in assets/cash on X1 but only like 15m on PC :(

EDIT: Ah damn, saw your edit. Truth be told, I was half listening to Obsidian and half reading through the thread.

The dream is dead.

Mengy

The dream is dead.

I'm not anywhere near the bubble and I've not done the Draconis 17 thing yet, but not it is not over, the faction just isn't in civil war anymore so the missions dried up. Once some commanders work the BGS and get it back into civil war again the money train will be back in the station.

DrBo42

I'm not anywhere near the bubble and I've not done the Draconis 17 thing yet, but not it is not over, the faction just isn't in civil war anymore so the missions dried up. Once some commanders work the BGS and get it back into civil war again the money train will be back in the station.

Pretty much. Just a matter if FD plays the god card again and makes changes before that happens.

Burny

Pretty much. Just a matter if FD plays the god card again and makes changes before that happens.

They're fighting a losing fight there. Each and every golden goose that's been discovered, they beat to death with their nerf-bat. Sometimes hitting a bit more than just the goose. But it's always been replaced with some new goose. I guess that's the beauty of having some automated system state and market logic in the backend, with mission generated according to those values. Good for players I'd say, as long as they don't manage to make missions compelling and fun and give them reasonable payouts by means of game design prowess. :p

A shout out to the Lost Winds WiiWare crew!

lostwinds9tj13.png

And what a nice rear end looks like for the ground crew...

highresscreenshot_201bbkwh.png

Nice shots, Burny. Makes me wanna go back to a trusty Cobra :p

NeoGAF faction is currently in an "Outbreak" state:

Triggered by low level standard of living and development level. Decreases standard of living while active. Medicine trade missions are more effective, combat missions and actions provide no benefit to the minor faction.

Lots of missions. 8 available in my session right now and they're almost all Outbreak-related. There's also a "Covert outbreak combat operation" mission that rewards 2m in credits o_O They don't say what you have to do, you get further instructions in the target system. Might give it a shot.

Seems like Passenger missions are back to where they were. Saw a NneoGAF mission paying 34m to Jacques and 11m for a nebula ~5k ly away. Maybe not to original 2.2 levels but worth considering, at least.

Payout was a little higher for the trade CG, 50% @1000 tns got me 17 million

Nice. There is an exploration CG for Federation going on now, ends in about a day.

They're fighting a losing fight there. Each and every golden goose that's been discovered, they beat to death with their nerf-bat. Sometimes hitting a bit more than just the goose. But it's always been replaced with some new goose. I guess that's the beauty of having some automated system state and market logic in the backend, with mission generated according to those values. Good for players I'd say, as long as they don't manage to make missions compelling and fun and give them reasonable payouts by means of game design prowess. :p

the rice is strong with that Cobra kit.

Phew, had a good binge in Open with a friend today. Showed her the ropes of combat, spent most of our time in a High RES.

Holy crap, it's been a minute since I've been in a High RES but those things are INSANE! *TONS* of ships. Wings of 3-5 big ships--FDLs, Fed ships, Condas, etc.

Worst was when I had 1m in credits and got one shotted from full shields and 33% hull by a thermal weapon or maybe a plasma accelerator? Not sure.

Spent the other part of the day in Apam Napat running Outbreak missions. Almost to "Allied" with NeoGAF faction! Had a number of fairly simple missions in the 500k-2m range.

Burny

Spent the other part of the day in Apam Napat running Outbreak missions. Almost to "Allied" with NeoGAF faction! Had a number of fairly simple missions in the 500k-2m range.

Back in Adam Napat as well. Now, if only I'd manage to find time to play again. Maybe a bit during the weekend...

the rice is strong with that Cobra kit.

I'm not getting it. Rice, as in tacky asian tuning kit? If so, yes, very much.

Can't wait until I can throw all kinds of ridiculous fins on a corvette.

What would an alleged military ship be without space spoilers and bumpers? >.< We'll probably see Viper and Python kits next though.

installation_hd.png

da2enbuzxjzx.jpg

Edit: So your Python can play at being a Corvette...
D64DB86FCBC0E23F5DDCB039B2FE7B9C2B52E2F6

Frontier's holiday silent auction and raffle is interesting--some fun prizes:

Charity Sweepstake

Every full £1 donated to the campaign Just Giving page will be an entry into a prize draw. The draw will be held on the stream at the end of the 24 hours and you must leave your contact email address (the optional field at donation, not as a comment) to be entered into the prize draw so that we can contact you. We&#8217;ve got an amazing set of prizes available. Here&#8217;s what you could win&#8230;

- High End gaming PC! &#8211; Up to £2,000 worth of pure gaming awesome.
- Xbox One S console
- PlayStation 4 pro console
- 3 x Planet Coaster Thrillseeker edition (No longer available in store)
- 3 x Elite Dangerous Commander Edition on Steam
- 2 x £50 Frontier Store Credit &#8211; Perfect to create your own style in our merch designer!
- 4 x £25 Frontier Store Credit &#8211; Perfect to create your own style in our merch designer!
- 5 x Elite Dangerous goodie bags containing
o Elite ranking cap
o Elite Socks
o Elite Beanie
o Elite Mug
o Elite Keyring
o Elite Pin Badge
- 5 x Planet Coaster goodie bags containing
o Planet Coaster tote bag
o Planet Coaster Mouse mat
o Signed artwork
o Planet Coaster badge
o Planet Coaster Lanyard
o Planet Coaster 8GB USB stick
- 5 x digital copies of the You, Me and Gravity &#8211; Planet Coaster Soundtrack

Terms and conditions apply, see the bottom of this post for details.

Special Effect Paint Job

As if the awesome raffle and prizes aren&#8217;t enough, we&#8217;ve also got a very special incentive for anyone that donates to this fantastic cause. If you donate £6/&#8364;7/$7.5 or more in a single donation, you&#8217;ll be eligible for this fantastic, unique SpecialEffect Sidewinder paint job AND decal! You will still keep the same number of raffle tickets into the prize draw too so there&#8217;s twice the reason to get involved!

Please note: Make sure you add your email address when donating so that we can contact you for your prizes. The paint job and decal will be sent via a redemption code to all eligible donators after the event ends. Terms and conditions apply, see the bottom of this post for details.

LS6TZkl.jpg

Charity Auction

In addition to the fantastic prizes above, we&#8217;ve also got our annual charity auction where you can bid on a host of cool items in the hopes of winning that prize. All bids are private so you have to bid what you would be willing to pay per item. The winners will be contacted and asked to donate that much into the Just Giving page.

Here&#8217;s how it works: take a look at the list of auction prizes below! Some will be Elite Dangerous focused and some will be Planet Coaster specific. Once you see one or more items that you would like to bid on, simply email the name of the item or items you wish to bid on and the amount per item to community@frontier.co.uk with the subject line &#8220;Blind Charity Auction&#8221;. The bidding will end on December 9 at 9AM GMT and winners will be contacted immediately.
Terms and conditions apply, see the bottom of this post for full details.

Here&#8217;s what&#8217;s up for auction (Photos may be added shortly)!

Elite Dangerous

Dine with the Developers &#8211; Elite Dangerous: Dine with the developers of Elite Dangerous. We&#8217;re holding an evening meal with five of Elite Dangerous&#8217; best known developers who will be joining you. The date of the event is planned for Thursday January 26, 2017 from 7PM GMT &#8211; 10PM GMT and we are looking for FIVE lucky bidders to come and join us! All the food and drink will be on us but you&#8217;ll need to make your way to a location in central Cambridge; all travel and other expenses for the event will be paid for by the winning bidders.

Name a Rare good: Make your mark in Elite, name a Rare good and have it added to the game! All entries will be reviewed and require approval from the Frontier Development team and the location will be decided by the dev team.

Name a Station: Make your mark in Elite, name a Station in game! All entries will be reviewed and require approval from the Frontier Development team and the location will be decided by the dev team.

Name a System: Make your mark in Elite, name an entire system in game! All entries will be reviewed and require approval from the Frontier Development team and the location will be decided by the dev team.

Your own custom unique, bespoke paint job: A one of a kind, special unique paint job for one of your Commanders. You will be able to work with our paint job designer to create something custom and unique for you. Pick the ship, colour and style and be the envy of all you meet with this fantastic prize.

Elite Dangerous Lifetime Expansion Pass: Not available for sale currently. The lifetime expansion pass offers you every update ever made to Elite Dangerous and all future expansions! Join the Elite and enjoy every piece of content made in Elite Dangerous.

zorbsie

Want to upgrade my Anaconda's thrusters from D to A. But I have modifications on the current thrusters. Has FDev said anything about storing/transfering mods in upcoming updates? Or did I juts dream that up. Also, should I do the upgrade at all? I lose about 4-5Ly in range by making the switch because I have to upgrade my power plant too.

SRV

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already but, is there any info about this making it's way to the PS4 yet?
I had hope it would have been announced at E3, then PGW and then PSX tonight, but nothing.

corin7

Neo Member
I picked up a decent hotas this weekend and got famaliar with everything so I can finally try this out in the Rift. Totally different, totally better game. Holy shit last couple hours have been absolutely amazing.

Mugen08

Sigh... I was just about to finish my first longer passenger mission. Had done a couple shorter ones before without problems. In hindsight I should not have shipped a couple of units to the current CG. I am just used to do so just to be at least among top 100% as it is still a lot of money for me. Anyway got two scans and passenger got unhappy. I thought she would get happier by 'collecting data' and see the sight nearly 3000ly away. But apparently not. After several days of intensive play I got back to drop her off with more than two weeks of time to spare before having to hand in the mission. Then on my way to the pad I got a third scan (after days without any) and then it was mission failed. No 6M credits, nothing, just said: 'Drop me off at nearest station and I'll find someone else to take me!'. Even though I just completed said 6000ly roundtrip. Wtf is wrong with this game?

Mengy

Sigh... I was just about to finish my first longer passenger mission. Had done a couple shorter ones before without problems. In hindsight I should not have shipped a couple of units to the current CG. I am just used to do so just to be at least among top 100% as it is still a lot of money for me. Anyway got two scans and passenger got unhappy. I thought she would get happier by 'collecting data' and see the sight nearly 3000ly away. But apparently not. After several days of intensive play I got back to drop her off with more than two weeks of time to spare before having to hand in the mission. Then on my way to the pad I got a third scan (after days without any) and then it was mission failed. No 6M credits, nothing, just said: 'Drop me off at nearest station and I'll find someone else to take me!'. Even though I just completed said 6000ly roundtrip. Wtf is wrong with this game?

Yeah, the one largest negative about those long range passenger missions is that all of them hate being scanned, and when flying out of or into a large station it’s really hard NOT to be scanned. I wish that one requirement was dropped from them, as it just generally sucks, especially if you are flying a large slower ship. You actively have to avoid all and any stations while ferrying them around.

It’s indicative though of the biggest problem which Elite has in pretty much every corner of the game: a blatant disrespect for the player’s time. It’s a theme with Elite really. It’s better than it used to be but it still permeates certain aspects, and these long range PAX missions with the “no scan” aspect are a great example.

Effect

That sucks. :( This is why I refused to do any long range passenger missions or even multi-part missions. The very fact you can do all that and still fail the mission and not get any payout is unacceptable. I'm very iffy about long range hauling missions as well because the game just gets interdiction happy at the worse possible moments at the very end of the trip.

I haven't touched the game in a little bit and I'm better for it I think. Don't miss playing. If another big update comes I'll load up the game or reinstall it (thinking of uninstalling as I want the extra space for something else).

The game really does after a while has no respect for the players time. Many of the passenger missions help to shine a spotlight on that. Overall I think it's just gotten worse as Frontier actively tries to stop and push back against any methods that are discovered by the player base to speed up or streamline certain elements of progress in the game.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Whoa the federal dropship is actually kind of a monster at taking punishment.

I've been practicing using fixed pulses and a gimbled huge multi on my FdL, it was aggravating and enraging at first but I'm slowly getting used to it, the boost in fire power is nice and the ability to strip shields off is much welcome. I'm thinking of modding my pulses for fire rate.

Honestly though, the best part is that it has added a really refreshing element to gameplay lol.

Mugen08

It’s indicative though of the biggest problem which Elite has in pretty much every corner of the game: a blatant disrespect for the player’s time. It’s a theme with Elite really. It’s better than it used to be but it still permeates certain aspects, and these long range PAX missions with the “no scan” aspect are a great example.

Yeah, it has sadly been the case since launch. I bought Horizons a month ago and got back to the game after about a 12-18 months break from it. It is indeed better now and I shouldn't complain too much as I have been able to do some significant progress lately (with respect to where I was in the game). Thanks to community goals I have been able to finally buy a new ship (Type 7) so that makes it feel a bit fresh again. Although I mostly play solo the community seems great, should do some more Moebius play perhaps.

That sucks. :( This is why I refused to do any long range passenger missions or even multi-part missions. The very fact you can do all that and still fail the mission and not get any payout is unacceptable. I'm very iffy about long range hauling missions as well because the game just gets interdiction happy at the worse possible moments at the very end of the trip.

I haven't touched the game in a little bit and I'm better for it I think. Don't miss playing. If another big update comes I'll load up the game or reinstall it (thinking of uninstalling as I want the extra space for something else).

The game really does after a while has no respect for the players time. Many of the passenger missions help to shine a spotlight on that. Overall I think it's just gotten worse as Frontier actively tries to stop and push back against any methods that are discovered by the player base to speed up or streamline certain elements of progress in the game.

Can't blame you as I just returned (=bought Horizons) myself just a while ago after a 12-18 months break. It is really a shame that much of the game-play mechanics still feel unfinished or too quickly slapped together. Want to love this game more. Wonderful community and often awesome graphics.

Burny

I've been practicing using fixed pulses and a gimbled huge multi on my FdL, it was aggravating and enraging at first but I'm slowly getting used to it, the boost in fire power is nice and the ability to strip shields off is much welcome. I'm thinking of modding my pulses for fire rate.

Recently went on a shopping spree with the 17 Draconis credits myself and got an A-rated FDL with fixed pulse lasers and one fixed huge multi cannon. Didn't play much with it, except for a bit of nav beacon bounty hunting, but holy hell! Admittedly, the ships cruising around there aren't that tough to begin with, but even without engineered mods, it's clear that whoever ends up a the receiving end of a FDL is in for a world of hurt. Not relying on gimbals also means that you won't be bothered by chaff.

I'm doing a 180 on the other purchase, a mining T9. The T9 will probably stay with some good A-rated modules as a trader, although I don't see much of a purpose for it, yet. Well outfitted it seems to be a 150+ mio. ship (my purely theorised and unoptimized build notwithstanding) with crippled jumprange and some limited cargo space in favor of bigger shields and a fighter bay to give it any survivability whatsoever. Now it only needs a purpose, as I don't see much sense in using a 10 Mio. credits rebuy brick of a ship with poor defenses for low paying interdiction heavy missions or mining. I'll get a Python for the latter.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Recently went on a shopping spree with the 17 Draconis credits myself and got an A-rated FDL with fixed pulse lasers and one fixed huge multi cannon. Didn't play much with it, except for a bit of nav beacon bounty hunting, but holy hell! Admittedly, the ships cruising around there aren't that tough to begin with, but even without engineered mods, it's clear that whoever ends up a the receiving end of a FDL is in for a world of hurt. Not relying on gimbals also means that you won't be bothered by chaff

Yeah it's insane, the reason I went for the gimbaled huge multi instead of a fixed is because the lower fire rate on the huge multi means I have to aim at a different spot to hit with it rather than with the fixed pulses (which you literally just aim directly at since they seemingly have no travel time), this allows me to keep more pressure on my target when I have them in my sights.

DrBo42

Going through the ED official livestream with beta changes and upcoming news etc here

Only about 20 minutes in but there has been a significant change announcement.

Commodities in engineer blueprints are being removed. Reasoning is that it sucks and storage isn't coming any time soon.

Top Bottom