• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Hylian7

I've basically been out of the Elite Dangerloop for the last few months (pretty much since a few weeks after Engineers came out, as that update kind of ruined the game for me).

1. Have they fixed Engineers where it's better, or at the very least, not as necessary to be able to hang with everyone else?
2. I've seen all the nice UI stuff they have done, but what other major stuff has come out that is worth going back to the game for?

I miss it pre-Engineers, but the other improvements sound great.

Has anyone here used the Thrustmaster T16000M FCS Hotas yet? I'm considering getting as a christmas gift to my self but I wouldn't mind some impressions.

It would be my first Hotas.

Edit: just bought it. But impressions are still welcome.

I've got it and really like it. I got it at launch as an upgrade to my T-Flight HOTAS X. The best thing is it has more inputs than you know what to do with so you won't have to use any macros or a keyboard off to the side to do everything. The downside to this is it took me sooo long to find a mapping that I liked.

One thing I didn't like at first is that the throttle doesn't have a middle position so you have to use a dedicated button to switch between forward and back thrusters. I've since gotten used to it and actually like the greater range you get this way.

Reckheim

I've got it and really like it. I got it at launch as an upgrade to my T-Flight HOTAS X. The best thing is it has more inputs than you know what to do with so you won't have to use any macros or a keyboard off to the side to do everything. The downside to this is it took me sooo long to find a mapping that I liked.

One thing I didn't like at first is that the throttle doesn't have a middle position so you have to use a dedicated button to switch between forward and back thrusters. I've since gotten used to it and actually like the greater range you get this way.

Awesome, thanks.

They could have kept that Mk 4 skin to themselves.

lol, didn't even realize it was for the Mk IV. The ship that no one has and no one wants.

I've basically been out of the Elite Dangerloop for the last few months (pretty much since a few weeks after Engineers came out, as that update kind of ruined the game for me).

1. Have they fixed Engineers where it's better, or at the very least, not as necessary to be able to hang with everyone else?
2. I've seen all the nice UI stuff they have done, but what other major stuff has come out that is worth going back to the game for?

I miss it pre-Engineers, but the other improvements sound great.

1. Depends--are you talking PvP or PvE? A lot of the OP weapons (like thermal effects) have been balanced but there is currently another wave of balancing coming with the next patch (it's in beta now, likely out in January). They are also removing commodities from the recipes, so you may want to hold off on crafting anything until that patch releases.
2. Check out the 2.2 "The Guardians" launch thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1299765 but here is a quick summary of the last content update:
ZZPmbwU.jpg

I need to give that a try with my X55. It also doesn't really have a middle position and defaults to the same button-toggle for reverse motion. However, you CAN change your throttle axis range so that it has a middle position and you can reverse without using a button. It's in the options for throttle controls.

Hylian7

1. Depends--are you talking PvP or PvE? A lot of the OP weapons (like thermal effects) have been balanced but there is currently another wave of balancing coming with the next patch (it's in beta now, likely out in January). They are also removing commodities from the recipes, so you may want to hold off on crafting anything until that patch releases.
2. Check out the 2.2 "The Guardians" launch thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1299765 but here is a quick summary of the last content update:

So they're getting rid of the "Bring me 500 tons of Lavian Brandy!" bullshit? Thank god. I'll gladly destroy ships for hours to get materials than try to sit there and wait around for that.

So they're getting rid of the "Bring me 500 tons of Lavian Brandy!" bullshit? Thank god. I'll gladly destroy ships for hours to get materials than try to sit there and wait around for that.

No, you still gotta go get the Brandy, bro. Engineers want their shit.

BUT! You won't have to farm the Articulation Motors, Exhaust Manifolds, Microweave Cooling Hoses and similar mats that are only available as mission rewards. Presently you needed those to roll Grade 4 and Grade 5 engineered weapons. Those will go away (at least temporarily), meaning you'll only need the data (like Modified Consumer Firmware) and non-cargo mats (like Focus Crystals) to roll Engy items.

This is being done because we bitched enough that having to hold cargo means being for all intents and purposes locked inside of a given ship until you were able to use said mats.

For example, if you really want to fly your Courier with 2T of cargo capacity and you're currently in your Anaconda with 80T of very hard to find mission reward commodities and didn't have all the other mats you need to use them...you basically couldn't fly that Courier. You were thus limited to whatever ships could hold that cargo because you weren't going to sacrifice the cargo mats that took you a week or two to gather. You're not just throwing them away because fuck that. But therein lies the problem. Not being able to fly the ship you wanted to fly when you wanted to fly it was an awful design decision. Making CMDRs feel trapped in trade ships or non-combat ships for days/weeks is something I may never understand how they let happen in the first place.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I only use forward only on my throttle axis, my solution is that I have the paddle on my throttle as forward and reverse thrust. But that's because when I fly reverse it generally tends to be FULL POWER REVERSE THRUSTERS! Or small taps for docking.

I need to give that a try with my X55. It also doesn't really have a middle position and defaults to the same button-toggle for reverse motion. However, you CAN change your throttle axis range so that it has a middle position and you can reverse without using a button. It's in the options for throttle controls.

I actually did this for a bit before switching back. The fact that it doesn't lock into that 0 position makes it really finicky to throttle down.

I like having the button toggle now though. It makes reversing a much more deliberate action, though it took a bit to get used to.

I only use forward only on my throttle axis, my solution is that I have the paddle on my throttle as forward and reverse thrust. But that's because when I fly reverse it generally tends to be FULL POWER REVERSE THRUSTERS! Or small taps for docking.

I actually did this for a bit before switching back. The fact that it doesn't lock into that 0 position makes it really finicky to throttle down.

I like having the button toggle now though. It makes reversing a much more deliberate action, though it took a bit to get used to.

I think I'll give it a shot and use a reverse button. It will definitely take some getting used to but sounds like it might be worth it. I think one of the things I don't like about the X55 is how much drag the throttle has, even at the lowest setting. I feel like I end up physically pushing the throttle forward on my desk during combat and the smaller ROM of having full throttle range helped negate that.

FWIW, to get around the lack of a 0 lock, I gave my throttle a little neutral/0 deadzone. So it doesn't "lock" like the Hotas X but it's easier to "find" the zero position.

Burny

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteComba...dr_kancro_vantas_combat_logger_task_kill_535/

In what is probably the biggest humiliation in the history of Elite Dangerous Kancro Vantas was today rammed, immobilised, and forced to task manager out of Elite Dangerous.

Nobody forced them, they chose to. Yes bad form, but I must say, the differentiation of hostile actions between players in Elite are absolutely insufficient.

For such situations, I would like to have the formal feature of "Surrendering" and a "Karma" system, that persists through rebuys.

E.g., your drives are shot out, you're a dead fish in the water anyway but instead of just waiting for your ship to be destroyed you have the option to surrender, something that is explicitely notfied to anyone who's targetting you. The karma system ought to take care of your opponents action then. Destryoing the surrendered ship? Bad Karma up the wassoo, much more than just attacking another ship, but they'd gain any bounties etc. nonteheless. Relieving the surrendered ship of their cargo holds contents? No specific karma repercussions compared to just attacking a non-hostile.

Oh, and if the surrendering ship reactivates its weapons and fights back during a limited time after surrendering? Bad karma on them!

kennah

How do ship kits work with liveries? Do they continue the pattern or are the ship kits a set colour?

Ever see someone drive their car with some of the parts primer coloured? It's like that.

I don't actually know, just made a funny image to me.

Jedi2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteComba...dr_kancro_vantas_combat_logger_task_kill_535/

In what is probably the biggest humiliation in the history of Elite Dangerous Kancro Vantas was today rammed, immobilised, and forced to task manager out of Elite Dangerous.
That's still combat-logging, the sign of a true PvP coward. He wasn't "forced" to do anything, he could have reboot/repair and gotten out of there.

I'm getting my emails a day late from Frontier. Right up above is today's paint job for the Asp, I just now got the email for yesterday's Sidey paint job. So far I think the only one I'm interested in is the Cutter (and I don't even have a Cutter), but I'll wait until they're all up before buying anything so I can do it all at once.

Pomerlaw

lol, didn't even realize it was for the Mk IV. The ship that no one has and no one wants.

Hey man I love my MkIV. Probably my favorite ship! Amazing lateral trusters and base speed on this ship. I love the look too.

8tl0Gkz.jpg

I want to engineer one with a better powerplant, I'm sure it will rock.

He was flying an Anaconda.

He was engaging a Type 9

This is easily, easily, the funniest thing I have seen since the release of this game. It's the highlight of my entire Elite playing existence.
So, who is this guy? And why is he only master if he is that bad(ass)?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

He was engaging a Type 9

This is easily, easily, the funniest thing I have seen since the release of this game. It's the highlight of my entire Elite playing existence.

LMAO HOLY HELL

Sometimes you gotta just take the L man.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
LMAO HOLY HELL

Sometimes you gotta just take the L man.

Seeing as how Kancro Vantas is the founder of SEPP and this took place at Jaques, I'm betting that Kancro's Anaconda had a hold full of rares for the current Colonia Migration CG. He probably just didn't want to lose all of those after flying 22,000 lys out there to bolster his faction in the CG. His Anaconda was also probably rigged for jump range and not combat, which is probably why that T9 decimated him.

Although he really should have been flying in solo or a PG if his cargo was too important to lose in a fiery death! :)

Hylian7

He was engaging a Type 9

What a combat logging piece of garbage. I know the 15s exists for a reason, but going to task manager to close the game is some next level scumbag shit. People like that absolutely ruin the game for everyone else.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Seeing as how Kancro Vantas is the founder of SEPP and this took place at Jaques, I'm betting that Kancro's Anaconda had a hold full of rares for the current Colonia Migration CG. He probably just didn't want to lose all of those after flying 22,000 lys out there to bolster his faction in the CG. His Anaconda was also probably rigged for jump range and not combat, which is probably why that T9 decimated him.

Although he really should have been flying in solo or a PG if his cargo was too important to lose in a fiery death! :)

Even still that rationale is the reason why piracy in this game is basically a dead profession. But I am sure this video was not taken by a would by pirate lol.

But yeah like you said, if he really wanted to ensure his cargo would make it he should have flown in solo.

Burny

Even still that rationale is the reason why piracy in this game is basically a dead profession. But I am sure this video was not taken by a would by pirate lol.

But yeah like you said, if he really wanted to ensure his cargo would make it he should have flown in solo.

Wouldn't a hypothetical surrender option as I described above help make piracy more interesting? It would at least offer some options to players that are completely outmatched. Surrender and give up cargo, for attackers that are after the cargo, but avoid the rebuy. Maybe even haggle a bit for how much cargo they drop - depending on whether the pirating player is into roleplay. If the attacker is hell-bend on destroying them, despite them having surrendered, at least give them the karma repercussion.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Wouldn't a hypothetical surrender option as I described above help make piracy more interesting? It would at least offer some options to players that are completely outmatched. Surrender and give up cargo, for attackers that are after the cargo, but avoid the rebuy. Maybe even haggle a bit for how much cargo they drop - depending on whether the pirating player is into roleplay. If the attacker is hell-bend on destroying them, despite them having surrendered, at least give them the karma repercussion.

Yeah I mean I think literally anything would be more interesting than combat logging :p

Burny

I'm absolutely hopeless with pedals. :( Played too much with mouse & keyboard, so the 'point to go there' yaw control is ingrained far too deeply into my brain. With yaw on mouse-x and pitch on mouse-y it's too easy to aim.

While pitch & roll feels great on the joystick, in order to aim fixed weapons the hand really needs to act as one with your feet and I simply haven't got it down.

Has anybody else had the issue? I'm trying to get better, but might have to resort to putting roll on the pedals and yaw on joy-x if nothing else works.

Btw., well paying massacre missions also are finally a good motivation to play more again. Not the 17 Draconis expl... scheme, but the regular combat zones. They ought to work very well in a wing, because unlike in bounty hunting, one doesn't take away each others profits, but speeds up progress of each other's massacre missions, as far as I understand. Finally, a non PvP thing that works well in a wing, whether Frontier intended it or not. :p

pottuvoi

Banned
Surrender options and such would be great.

Would also love a solution for people logging out during fights.
Something like replacing the pilot with AI for few minutes and then vanish if player doesn't reconnect

zorbsie

Was in 17 Draconis and took a bunch of missions to take out The Order ships. But there is no conflict zones in the system. Am I just screwed? Just want to rank up my Fed rank and this is not helping.

Burny

Was in 17 Draconis and took a bunch of missions to take out The Order ships. But there is no conflict zones in the system. Am I just screwed? Just want to rank up my Fed rank and this is not helping.

Isn't that the wrong faction? You need to pay attention who's in civil war with whom. The 17 Draconis alliance hold the outpost with the skimmers, so their 'ships' need to be the target. The order in this case is the faction whose missions you want to take, not the other way round.

zorbsie

Are you in open play?
I was in solo.

Did you go to the planet like 22k ls away?
I'm pretty sure I did but I might check again. I went to checkpoint that had nav beacons there. When I scanned them I got messages back that stated they couldn't find a mission area for my missions.

Isn't that the wrong faction? You need to pay attention who's in civil war with whom. The 17 Draconis alliance hold the outpost with the skimmers, so their 'ships' need to be the target. The order in this case is the faction whose missions you want to take, not the other way round.
It is the wrong faction, but I was trying to raise my combat rank as well so I was happy to head to a conflict zone and shoot down some ships for a few hours..

Thanks for the help guys, I'll have to check the system for conflict zones before I accept missions next time. :)

Top Bottom