• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Frontier said:
Military ship slots
We’re adding some special “military” slots to a subset of ships.

These slots are additions, so no ship will lose anything. However, the only modules that these slots will accept are hull reinforcement, module reinforcement and shield cell banks.
The concept here is to increase choice for the more combat oriented ships, without awarding the same benefit to multipurpose vessels that already have a slew of advantages.

Sure, we need more choices for the combat players, and yet they damn well won't add one single size 1 internal to the DBX to allow it to have both an AFMU and an SRV. Because fuck explorer choices.

This greatly pisses me off.

SmartBase

I'm sure that, *if* those changes even made it to production, they would be modified heavily based on player feedback.

Hey, at least FDL players will have something legitimate to whine about now! Those things are significantly OP in combat and have been for a little while now.

Considering the rabid anti-fun leanings of the player base their feedback is the very last thing FD should listen to, even if their own ideas aren't that much better.

I would like my shield tank Corvette to not be nerfed because of the ridiculous amount of time I put into it, they could just buff or otherwise increase the functionality of other utility modules but that would require more work and imagination.

And of course explorers miss out on extra functionality, gotta take care of the combat players above all else because that's where the money is.

Burny

Sure, we need more choices for the combat players, and yet they damn well won't add one single size 1 internal to the DBX to allow it to have both an AFMU and an SRV. Because fuck explorer choices.

This greatly pisses me off.

If military ships are getting specialized "free" modules and the civilian transport ships have them, it's a great starting point to argue that dedicated exploration ships ought to get the same treatment.

E.g. Diamanbondback Explorer. Give it a statically installed SRV bay, always installed scanners etc. that don't count towards the module limit. Same treatment for ASP, vs. the allround ships.

Jedi2016

If military ships are getting specialized "free" modules and the civilian transport ships have them, it's a great starting point to argue that dedicated exploration ships ought to get the same treatment.

E.g. Diamanbondback Explorer. Give it a statically installed SRV bay, always installed scanners etc. that don't count towards the module limit. Same treatment for ASP, vs. the allround ships.
That would be nice.. anything with "Explorer" in the name gets dedicated exploration slots. I already love my Asp, but every bay is occupied when I go out.

Burny

I still don't quite understand the purpose of the Asp Scout.

A-rated it costs less than half of what an Asp Explorer does. Looking at the modules, weaponry etc. it's really trounced by its big brother, therefore it's firmly stepping stone territory.

And stepping stones lose their usefulness as a side effect of the availability of credit mules like 17 Draconis. No reason not to go for the real thing. If you were bound to a moderate progress in terms of credits, there'd be a point to those intermediate solutions, seeing as they may offer more than the smaller variants and would have their usefulness in getting you to the bigger ships.

E-flux

I finally made it to Colonia. Not really sure what to do, so i took a new course towards Sagittarius A.
BDE5880AF628BD3E54ED2CE3614153C98825F61C

Effect

So is there a timeline for how long this beta is going to last and will the patch will be dropped? Before the year ends?

Festive special sale of the day: chrome Cutter: https://www.frontierstore.net/usd/game-extras/festive-countdown.html

From reddit:

Amidala-approved!

A-rated it costs less than half of what an Asp Explorer does. Looking at the modules, weaponry etc. it's really trounced by its big brother, therefore it's firmly stepping stone territory.

And stepping stones lose their usefulness as a side effect of the availability of credit mules like 17 Draconis. No reason not to go for the real thing. If you were bound to a moderate progress in terms of credits, there'd be a point to those intermediate solutions, seeing as they may offer more than the smaller variants and would have their usefulness in getting you to the bigger ships.

Maybe I'll buy one when I have some extra dough, or see if my new player friend wants to give one a shot. She has a Cobra Mk III right now and I'm trying to justify the change. The Asp Scout has slower top and boost speed (fairly significant--by 100 and 80 m/s, respectively), is more maneuverable, slightly stronger shields but a lot less armor, is lighter and slightly less cargo capacity. It does seem to have more versatile internal module options, though. Seems like it could get a better jump range than a Cobra, too.

I guess it doesn't seem that bad when I look at it that way.

17 Draconis money is real

Oh yeah? I'm gonna head out there this afternoon. I looked yesterday and saw the 400 ly distance from Aeternitas and decided to wait, but given it may end at any given moment--gotta get on that.

Wait a second.

Is this coming to PS4 ? When ?

Awesome!

(Right ?)

Q2 2017.

So is there a timeline for how long this beta is going to last and will the patch will be dropped? Before the year ends?

They've said it will extend into the New Year. Would be surprised if it fell past January, though.

Festive special sale of the day: chrome Cutter: https://www.frontierstore.net/usd/game-extras/festive-countdown.html

From reddit:

Amidala-approved!

Ugh, bought. I need to rank up Imp scum to get this. Love their ship designs.

Oh yeah? I'm gonna head out there this afternoon. I looked yesterday and saw the 400 ly distance from Aeternitas and decided to wait, but given it may end at any given moment--gotta get on that.

1st time I arrived, no less that 12 massacre missions for one faction. Just pouring money out in those missions.

From reddit:

Amidala-approved!

chrome cutter *pumps fist*

I've been begging for a new Chrome skin and them making one for my most used ship makes me smile real hard.

The sad irony of course, being that the Cutter is the only big ship that you can't see any of the outside of from the flight deck. The Conda and Corvette have those long noses so you can actually see part of your skin.

Can someone explain what this entails. I've really only did combat and trading missions (Sothis). Is this the same thing as Sothis in that they are offering good money to transport to the bubble?

CZ missions. So you stack combat missions and each kill you get counts to the total of every mission you have. Since it is also a pretty isolated system there aren't wartime trade or data missions so the there is a disproportionate amount of combat missions spawned. The higher your faction rating the more lucrative the missions.

zorbsie

That chrome cutter looks fantastic. I hope they have a new skin for the Anaconda during this promotion. Was working toward a Corvette, but the grind is just too much. So I think I'm sticking with the 'conda for a long while now. Would also buy ship kit for it. :)

Burny

Can someone explain what this entails. I've really only did combat and trading missions (Sothis). Is this the same thing as Sothis in that they are offering good money to transport to the bubble?

Two factions are at civil war with each other, both offer "Massacre missions (kill X ships of the other faction) for sometimes pretty high credit values (10 Mio.+ if you're allied with them). One of the factions (New 17 Draconis Alliance) also has a small surface outpost where skimmers spawn if you approach, but lacking other defenses. Skimmers count as killed ships and each killed ship counts for all of your running massacre missions.

Get there with a quick ship loaded with rockets. Stack the missions of one of the factions (Jet Bridge Inc. iirc) to hell and back, drive to Faraday keep, shoot rockets into the skimmers, killing them quickly and instantly. Log out, log back in, kill a new set of skimmers, repeat until all missions are completed, drive back to the space station. get your 50-100 Mio. credits per run. Repeat. Only caveat: The outpost is guarded by a combat ship of the holding faction. Which btw. contributes to the effectiveness of the scheme, because it hardly is able to destroy you within the 15 seconds it takes to logout. Once you've completed all missions though, just let yourself be killed by the ship (or self destruct) and you're instantly back at the starport to take on a new set of missions.

Edit: In theory, this should also be possible in other systems. Does anybody happen to know an Empire system with a similar setup? The thing with this slightly exploitative method is, for military progression and credit gain, it renders every other activity the game offers completely moot. There's hardly any way to complete so many missions for a faction in such short time, which contributes greatly towards military progression. In terms of credits, it's just insane.

Two factions are at civil war with each other, both offer "Massacre missions (kill X ships of the other faction) for sometimes pretty high credit values (10 Mio.+ if you're allied with them). One of the factions (New 17 Draconis Alliance) also has a small surface outpost where skimmers spawn if you approach, but lacking other defenses. Skimmers count as killed ships and each killed ship counts for all of your running massacre missions.

Get there with a quick ship loaded with rockets. Stack the missions of one of the factions (Jet Bridge Inc. iirc) to hell and back, drive to Faraday keep, shoot rockets into the skimmers, killing them quickly and instantly. Log out, log back in, kill a new set of skimmers, repeat until all missions are completed, drive back to the space station. get your 50-100 Mio. credits per run. Repeat. Only caveat: The outpost is guarded by a combat ship of the holding faction. Which btw. contributes to the effectiveness of the scheme, because it hardly is able to destroy you within the 15 seconds it takes to logout. Once you've completed all missions though, just let yourself be killed by the ship (or self destruct) and you're instantly back at the starport to take on a new set of missions.

Edit: In theory, this should also be possible in other systems. Does anybody happen to know an Empire system with a similar setup? The thing with this slightly exploitative method is, for military progression and credit gain, it renders every other activity the game offers completely moot. There's hardly any way to complete so many missions for a faction in such short time, which contributes greatly towards military progression. In terms of credits, it's just insane.

Wait, shit I'm doing the scam wrong lol.

corin7

Neo Member
Ouch I did just look up the cost on the Imperial Cutter. Not going to be able to afford one of those for a long while.

DrBo42

That's what you get for playing the game!

Hope you learned your lesson.

I thought about logging in for that money train but ultimately...what's the point for those of us with high tier ships? Nothing to spend that money on. I guess just an endorphin boost when you're over a billion credits. Give us something to actually invest in and build already.

Jedi2016

Well, I've got an Anaconda to finish upgrading, and a chrome Cutter to buy and kit out. And, naturally, I'm out of the bubble right now.

Viper wireframe is today's Festive sale: https://www.frontierstore.net/game-extras/festive-countdown/viper-mk-iii-wireframe-paint-job.html

The Imperial ships are tailor made for chrome. Sharp.

They really are. My blocky, angular Vulture with its chrome paint doesn't have quite the same effect. It's hard to tell what the paint job is, depending on the environment.

I thought about logging in for that money train but ultimately...what's the point for those of us with high tier ships? Nothing to spend that money on. I guess just an endorphin boost when you're over a billion credits. Give us something to actually invest in and build already.

Yeah, I was talking to my newb friend and whether or not they wanted to use Draconis or not to fast-track progression. There is something to be said for enjoying the early progression, trying the different aspects of the game, your first few ships, etc. Using Draconis could take some of that naive, early magic away.

Me, though...I've been playing a few years and don't have much time to put in what's required to "organically" earn those sums of money. I'm thinking I'll use it for about 50m credits to get into the mid-high tier ships and use those to progress the "normal" way.

Yeah, I was talking to my newb friend and whether or not they wanted to use Draconis or not to fast-track progression. There is something to be said for enjoying the early progression, trying the different aspects of the game, your first few ships, etc. Using Draconis could take some of that naive, early magic away.

Totally agree, for me it was a blast hauling with the Adder, fighting on the nav beacon with a brand new Eagle feeling like a badass, saving up for a Type-6 and doing some rare lond distance hauling....

Effect

I don't think anyone just starting out to should be trying to do stuff like Draconis or Sothis mission runs, etc. I think the progression at least early on is decent. It doesn't really feel like a negative grind.

I think once you've spent a LOT of time in say a Cobra, Asp or the tier after is when you could possibly fall into the hole of where you believe you're simply not making enough money fast enough or just in a reasonable amount of time. Largely due to mission payouts, rebuy cost, module upgrades, new ship cost jumping from a several hundred thousand through a few million to tens of millions or more. So if progress is to move to the next tier of ships it's going to hurt I think and then stuff like Draconis, etc start to look real appealing. By then you've learned the game pretty well I think. That's also the point where I think one might feel the game is no longer respecting your time as a player as well.

I actually kinda miss that beginning part of the game where everything was new.

Yeah, it's fun playing with her because everything is so new and awe-inspiring. She's out there having a blast in her Desert Rose-painted kitted Cobra with purple lasers and I'm trekking to Draconis to exploit instancing for major dough.

Mugen08

To all the people that figured out, clarified details about or simply advertised about 17 Draconis; I wish you a particularly nice Christmas!

Portman

Elite-GAF just stopping by to say hi again before I jump back in. Have been away from the game for a year and a half or so (I left right before PowerPlay was added). Reading some of your adventures recently got me wanting to jump back in.

Had a fun welcome back from the game by running out of fuel 10 meters above the pad after an hour long flight back to my other ships. Thank goodness I found out that flight assist being toggled off would make the ship "descend" and I was able to dock. Quick reminder there to myself about the dangers of tweaking a route near the end :)

I've bought the expansion and will do so trading for now just to get back in the feel of things. I'll see what I can get caught up on information wise too but I might throw some basic questions at everyone if I can't get them figured out again or get stumped.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Has anyone had any luck flying a roided out Dimondback scout?

That ship looks ridiculously fun the more I look at it.

http://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/outfit...8f42g262323000002032929296b.Iw1/kA==.Aw1/kA==.

With chaff and a shieldless silent running build you can make yourself relatively impossible to hit by anyone running gimbled weapons, and I think the DBS has stupid good heat management. I know that stealth builds like that aren't anything new but I think you can outmaneuver almost anything with this ship.

You can put in cascade on your missiles to knock out shields, maybe if you're into grinding powerplay you can do the FSD jamming missiles. I have no idea what to put in the small slots though, multi's seem like the best fit but I am sure there is something better you can do.

You can probably get the ship to be sturdy enough to not need another hull reinforcement package and instead run a fuel scoop.

Burny

Had a fun welcome back from the game by running out of fuel 10 meters above the pad after an hour long flight back to my other ships. Thank goodness I found out that flight assist being toggled off would make the ship "descend" and I was able to dock. Quick reminder there to myself about the dangers of tweaking a route near the end :)

Now more easily avoidable, as you can filter stars for route computations by scoopability: "Oh, Be A Fine Girl And Kiss Me". ;)

The most fun possible before the grind sets in again, to you!

Elite-GAF just stopping by to say hi again before I jump back in. Have been away from the game for a year and a half or so (I left right before PowerPlay was added). Reading some of your adventures recently got me wanting to jump back in.

I've bought the expansion and will do so trading for now just to get back in the feel of things. I'll see what I can get caught up on information wise too but I might throw some basic questions at everyone if I can't get them figured out again or get stumped.

Welcome back!

Has anyone had any luck flying a roided out Dimondback scout?

That ship looks ridiculously fun the more I look at it.

http://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/outfit...8f42g262323000002032929296b.Iw1/kA==.Aw1/kA==.

With chaff and a shieldless silent running build you can make yourself relatively impossible to hit by anyone running gimbled weapons, and I think the DBS has stupid good heat management. I know that stealth builds like that aren't anything new but I think you can outmaneuver almost anything with this ship.

You can put in cascade on your missiles to knock out shields, maybe if you're into grinding powerplay you can do the FSD jamming missiles. I have no idea what to put in the small slots though, multi's seem like the best fit but I am sure there is something better you can do.

You can probably get the ship to be sturdy enough to not need another hull reinforcement package and instead run a fuel scoop.

You know, I've never given either Diamondback a try. Haven't really heard much about them since the first few months when they were out. Let us know if you give it a shot!

Yeah, what the hell? Why is it all splotchy?

Chrome Cutter looks awesome.

Best skin for Cobra is still the Mercenary one.. ;)

fbei7BH.png

Didn't realize how great this one looks in-game.

Reckheim

Has anyone here used the Thrustmaster T16000M FCS Hotas yet? I'm considering getting as a christmas gift to my self but I wouldn't mind some impressions.

It would be my first Hotas.

Edit: just bought it. But impressions are still welcome.

Top Bottom