• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

atpbx

Finally got an Anaconda. :)

It's a lumbering beast.

Plenty of upgrading and engineering to do.

I stopped playing over a year ago, and am only 10 million credits or so from being able to afford one with insurance and a couple of unrated modules, but the fucking grind is so painful. I know I could do it in a couple of hours but even that is too much.

Burny

I stopped playing over a year ago, and am only 10 million credits or so from being able to afford one with insurance and a couple of unrated modules, but the fucking grind is so painful. I know I could do it in a couple of hours but even that is too much.

Google 17 Draconis or look on the previous pages. Alternatively, wing up with a couple of people and do massacre missions in a civil war system with cz together. Get an Anaconda per hour. :p

It's a cheap way to circumvent the game's grindy, flawed nature, but works.

Agremont

I did some community goals and exchanged my lovely Python for it. Kinda miss the Python, but I'm sure I'll fall in love with the Conda soo enough.

I've barely been able to touch video games since I got a pet puppy a couple months ago. I miss Elite but strapping on a VR headset and leaving reality isn't really an option right now. I've tried to follow things since the latest patches. Someday, I'll be able to get back in there. They better offer a cool FDL skin in the christmas sales event!

I was very fortunate to get my anaconda after that one CG with the huuuuuuge payouts. Now it's a trade Conda.

hehe, yeah that's when I got mine too. and it's also only been a trade boat. haven't felt any kind of grind since. just like real life it's sooooo much easier to make money in elite when you've already got a lot of money. :)

Mugen08

Finally got an Anaconda. :)
It's a lumbering beast. Plenty of upgrading and engineering to do.

Yeah, just got one as well after a bit of 17 Draconis massacring. Having trouble aligning it for entering stations, always hit the slot in some way. Set it up for exploration/combat. Flight Hangar Bay, SRV Bay, AFMS, Scanners, Class 4 Plasma+7 pulse lasers. Also bought one set of cargo racks and one set of passenger cabins for the remaining slots so could go full tourism or trading. Once they adjust the engineers I will want to start boosting the modules and hire a crew member. It's a fun ship but having trouble finding lucrative missions even in allied systems atm.

Burny

What a hot mess:

5_3.jpg

Was hoping to see how the FDL looks in "Chrome" or whatever shader passes as Chrome in Elite. But those wireframe things simply don't seem suited for the curvy ships.

DrBo42

What a hot mess:

5_3.jpg

Was hoping to see how the FDL looks in "Chrome" or whatever shader passes as Chrome in Elite. But those wireframe things simply don't seem suited for the curvy ships.

I'm sure that looks better in-game and not at an absurd angle like that. The lines do get lost a bit though.

Volimar

Doesn't look that bad to me.

So it looks like the prizes from the last gold, mineral oil, and uh....myrrh I guess delivery CG only had one winner. What a joke.

Burny

I'm sure that looks better in-game and not at an absurd angle like that. The lines do get lost a bit though.

That's not because of the angle, but because of the ship's shape. It's after all almost displayed from straight above, where the pseudo wireframe ought to work best. It simply doesn't though, for ships whose design is not a polygonal retro-throwback but which sport a bit more busy and curved design instead. :p

If they added a paintjob with lines that traces the FDL's shape, it might work very well, but reconstructing the original wireframe ship is somewhat undermined by too many details breaking the lines and curves warping them.

Burny

Braben Q&A Summary from the Charity Livestream

I'm wondering:

Space Legs / Atmospheres: Are a way away, because to do them well... Doing an animated character is only part of the problem, you've got to have things to do with it, it's got to be rich, a great experience. Don't hold your breath, but when it comes it'll be great. It's not coming soon. But there are lots of great things that are coming soon. From the story point of view, which I'm very excited about, some of that's coming sooner than some people expect. A lot of that's down to what the players do and when they find stuff. Alliance stuff coming, but not that soon. [56:30]

So far my bet for space legs has been season three. But that summary leaves it open whether they'll continue with a season model. And it's not coming soon, after all? Because you they might not implement things to do with it in time or wat? But they though Horizons release was ok?

;P

Ayway, still an interesting read.

That answer is so Braben--esp since he's addressing two separate features (space legs and atmospheric planets).

So what could Season 3 possibly include?

-Walking around ship while docked in station (as opposed to space, which would require zero G physics and would be further complicated by multi-crew)
-Thargoid/alien combat/military campaigns
-Gaseous planetary "landings"
-Fuck if I know

I suppose one patch as part of Season 3 could be the complete mission/progression overhaul, but it would be pretty weak for that to be a highlight since it really is something the game should just "have".

I just can't think of more that they could add, that they've already mentioned. Further character customization? New ships? Exploration overhaul/new features?

Burny

I suppose one patch as part of Season 3...

Frankly, there's little correlation between the main updates of season 2 at all (planets, crafting, multicrew, ?), with added features all over the place, so I guess all the patches of a hypothetic third season could have similarily little correlation.

I get the feeling that they just need to find a roughly yearly way to monetize the continued development. Apparently planets where more or less ready at the end of last year, that might've seemed like a good headline feature back then.

I can't deny that I'd like them to turn this model around: Develop a set of content updates, then release that as a complete addon. But that probably depends on how they make their funding work.

Pomerlaw

I said it months ago. Story driven expansion is coming - will probably tie with military career - and will end up being competition to SQ42, except it will be spaceship only stuff (no FPS).

As I see it, it will feature single player, scripted missions that will end up impacting the main game (see it as a side story) and will build your character.

Remember that capital ship video? Now picture 20 missions like that with a complete story arc.

You read it here first! :)

Reckheim

I said it months ago. Story driven expansion is coming - will probably tie with military career - and will end up being competition to SQ42, except it will be spaceship only stuff (no FPS).

As I see it, it will feature single player, scripted missions that will end up impacting the main game (see it as a side story) and will build your character.

Remember that capital ship video? Now picture 20 missions like that with a complete story arc.

Just went through the new training missions (got my hotas so I was learning) and they actually did a decent job with the narrative for those. If they are any indication of where the game is heading i'd be OK with that.

Btw, hotas people, how do you look around? Any suggestions as to what I binding I should use for the look around (forget what its called).

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I just can't think of more that they could add, that they've already mentioned. Further character customization? New ships? Exploration overhaul/new features?

nJi26My.gif

Yeah, most likely all about an alien war, combat stuff. Unless S3 has some serious exploration stuff there's a good chance I'll be skipping it.

Burny

Whatever story content FDev produces, I wouldn't oversell it as SQ42 competition. At least not for what SQ42 is supposed to become. I don't see Frontier pulling off the ultra cinematic military campaign oozing production values.

I was definitely thinking of track IR.

Again - shoutout to EDtracker for a cheaper, but equally effective alternative. They're both great and if you're already playing with a HOTAS, you probably want one of those instead of using the POV switches. ;)

Reckheim

Whatever story content FDev produces, I wouldn't oversell it as SQ42 competition. At least not for what SQ42 is supposed to become. I don't see Frontier pulling off the ultra cinematic military campaign oozing production values.

Again - shoutout to EDtracker for a cheaper, but equally effective alternative. They're both great and if you're already playing with a HOTAS, you probably want one of those instead of using the POV switches. ;)

Yeh, i'll think i'll get that. Can't wait for the wife to tell me how ridiculous I look.

Burny

Yeh, i'll think i'll get that. Can't wait for the wife to tell me how ridiculous I look.

I've been compared to a Teletubby using the EDTracker. ^^ If you don't want to build the thing yourself, look for the prebuild "Pro" version, which is the one I got.

Have fun! Headtracking imo is really a game changer for any cockpit games.

Btw.: One of the more concerning points of the Braben QA:

On 2.3: Multicrew is a hard thing to get right and making it good fun is too. Team at work right now tweaking it [28:30]
Will the Cobra Mk 3 have multicrew? Yes, but it's much more enjoyable in bigger ships as they have many more hardpoints. [32:45]

I may be reading too much into the statement, but if so much depends on the number of hardpoints, this reeks of an unimaginative multicrew implementation where additional crewmembers primarily control turrets. I guess we'll see next year...

Reckheim

I've been compared to a Teletubby using the EDTracker. ^^ If you don't want to build the thing yourself, look for the prebuild "Pro" version, which is the one I got.

That's the one I got, pretty excited.

Pomerlaw

Yeah sure but we may have it before 2021. ;P

DrBo42

Btw.: One of the more concerning points of the Braben QA:

I may be reading too much into the statement, but if so much depends on the number of hardpoints, this reeks of an unimaginative multicrew implementation where additional crewmembers primarily control turrets. I guess we'll see next year...

Honestly how can you really expect anything else with how frontier develops a framework? First iteration of anything other than the core gameplay has been ranging from mediocre to pretty bad consistently.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
As much fun as multicrew sounds I'm still worried about how they're going to balance it. I know they've said "we want a mutli crewed ship to feel on par with a wing" but that sounds like it's such a weird way to balance things, because then you start wondering just how insanely powerful a multicrewed ship is going to feel, especially the big 3.

What does this mean for single seat ships? Are they going to get a revamp to account for the fact that they can't be multicrewed?

Mengy

As much fun as multicrew sounds I'm still worried about how they're going to balance it. I know they've said "we want a mutli crewed ship to feel on par with a wing" but that sounds like it's such a weird way to balance things, because then you start wondering just how insanely powerful a multicrewed ship is going to feel, especially the big 3.

What does this mean for single seat ships? Are they going to get a revamp to account for the fact that they can't be multicrewed?

Nope, they are just getting screwed. Engineers made it harsh enough for the smaller ships and especially beginners starting out, now imagine a full wing of griefer Cutters all fully manned by players ganking at CG’s and you now have a clear vision of where Frontier is taking the game to.

Mobius Group is always accepting new members, by the way, even though they will soon be splitting for the third time due to their huge member count breaking the game. Welcome to Mobius!

Ocho

I keep reading this thread hoping that someday the game will have depth but it's just a fever dream at this point. :C

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Nope, they are just getting screwed. Engineers made it harsh enough for the smaller ships and especially beginners starting out, now imagine a full wing of griefer Cutters all fully manned by players ganking at CG’s and you now have a clear vision of where Frontier is taking the game to!

Yeah this is probably my biggest issue with the game right now, once you hit a certain point, flying anything smaller than a medium ship feels like a waste of time because your power and durability (hell even travel distance) increases exponentially with the big 3 + other ships.

It's a shame because my courier is still my favorite ship, but with all the penalties medium hard points have to large ships and how they're just not that much faster or even mobile you wonder why bother.

I swear my modded FdL handles about the same as my courier. I kinda am getting bored of my FdL though, looking to try out something goofy like a federal dropship. I still wanna do my diamond back scout build but I don't have the rep ready with the right engineers and I think i'd need to get some powerplay multis for the small hard points, even then since it'd be a stealth fighter build that means it's basically only good in pvp which I rarely get to do much anymore.

I keep reading this thread hoping that someday the game will have depth but it's just a fever dream at this point. :C

There is a good bit of depth in building your ship, but the problem is that so many of the interesting things are locked behind an engineer grind or are modules locked behind the powerplay grind.

Burny

Something for the CH Products users. All three of us or so.

I've been trying to create a printable reference sheet that is easy on they eyes for a while (as the official ones are an eyesore. See: "Kneeboards"). I started, stopped long ago and recently picked this up again:

It's just a pet project, but I think I'll stick to it for a while. Of course, the Elite reference sheet generator has excellent support for the CH Products HOTAS already, making it a bit redundant what I'm doing here. :p

Mengy

Chrome Hauler is today’s ship, LOL!!!!! For all of the commanders who fly a Hauler for a living!!!!!

vector824

I got back into this yesterday after taking a couple months off. Currently I'm in A rated AspX, FAS and Cobra MKIII (which I don't use much). AspX for Cargo/Passenger missions, FAS for combat/RES sites.

Kind of lost on where to go from here, I have the cash to jump into an A rated Python or FDL, as I would like a better combat ship for RES and CZ hunting. AspX does long distance hauling and Space Bus well enough for me.

Suggestions from you guys on what to do? FDL build recommendations?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Suggestions from you guys on what to do? FDL build recommendations?

The FdL should be the main hotness until the military module slots release for navy ships. I personally love how reliable mine is.

http://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/outfit...402005i455d6e2j.Iw18aQ==.CwBj5BGboJnhBmEjjCA=.

That's my base configuration for my FdL, currently im running a slightly different setup with weaker SCBs but a class 4 beam laser and fixed multis.

The reason I run a class 4 shield with a class 5 SCB is that it ends up being more shield MJs in a combat situation where you need to fire the SCBs.

vector824

The FdL should be the main hotness until the military module slots release for navy ships. I personally love how reliable mine is.

http://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/outfit...402005i455d6e2j.Iw18aQ==.CwBj5BGboJnhBmEjjCA=.

That's my base configuration for my FdL, currently im running a slightly different setup with weaker SCBs but a class 4 beam laser and fixed multis.

The reason I run a class 4 shield with a class 5 SCB is that it ends up being more shield MJs in a combat situation where you need to fire the SCBs.

Thanks man! Looks like a good place to start. I'll keep my FAS then also.

Anyone else with a build?

Mengy

I’ve never even owned an FDL yet, let alone flown one. My Vulture has been my go-to ship for combat for well over a year now. I should buy myself one and see what all the fuss is about.

Jedi2016

I sold my FDL a few weeks ago to pay for upgrades on the Anaconda. The other day I found myself itching for some high-speed combat (which the Anaconda is not), so I bought a Vulture and kitted it out. The good old days, didn't realize how much I miss those nimble fighters.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I’ve never even owned an FDL yet, let alone flown one. My Vulture has been my go-to ship for combat for well over a year now. I should buy myself one and see what all the fuss is about.

The main fuss comes from FOUR mediums and one huge hard point. The firepower is ridiculous, when bounty hunting it almost feels like over kill, especially with a metric shit ton of shield boosters to back you up.

I have flown mine so much that I am getting a bit bored of it lol :p

Jedi2016

Yeah, mine had four multicannons and a huge beam laser. And what was it, six shield boosters? The beam would melt shields, and then the multicannons would just shred the hull. I could take down anything in that ship. Just before I bought the FDL, they had buffed its power plant, and it ended up with, IMO, too much power, because it let you stack shit like all those shield boosters. My current Vulture can't even run boosters at all, it just doesn't have the power for it. I did fill every internal compartment with hull reinforcement, though.

vector824

The main fuss comes from FOUR mediums and one huge hard point. The firepower is ridiculous, when bounty hunting it almost feels like over kill, especially with a metric shit ton of shield boosters to back you up.

I have flown mine so much that I am getting a bit bored of it lol :p

Good to know. I what quick kill power. I would see one in my FAS and tremble...

Burny

The good old days, didn't realize how much I miss those nimble fighters.

Yeah, the Vulture is described as "heavy fighter", but it's quiet huge. I've recently tried a Viper Mk4, and the Vulture runs literal circles around that one in terms of maneuverability, even though it's so much bulkier.

I don't even know how to make the Viper Mk4 work. Even the FDL is more nimble. It somehow remedies the weaknesses of the Mk3 a bit, but becomes an utter brick in the process.

Top Bottom