• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

DrBo42

So they're going back on their gimbal changes. Rejoice explorers.

Sandro Sammarco said:
Changes we’re still mulling over
Shield booster stacking and big three hull increase: the feedback from testing is, so far, very positive. However, we need more of it to convince us that this change is ready to move on to live. We will greatly appreciate any game play feedback that you folk can offer over the Christmas period!

Changes we’re likely to roll back
Gimbals: for now we’re going to roll back all of the gimbal changes, which mean they will retain their tracking arc from the current live build (not the beta) and will not be affected by sensors. We will be keeping the buffs to fixed weapons.

We think there’s merit in the concept behind this test, especially with giving added consequence for sensors. However, the feedback is convincing us that we probably need to come back to it at a future point, when we can spend more time looking at how these modules could work together to bring more parity between fixed and gimbals, and create interesting choice at the same time.

Changes we’re looking to soften or tweak before hitting the live build
Plasma Accelerators: we’re reducing the amount of absolute damage they will deal to 60% of their total damage. The remaining 40% will be divided equally between kinetic and thermal, just like their old damage used to be. We’re also reducing the base damage by a very small amount: 5% reduced from beta, which is still an increase from the current live build.

Phasing: we’re reducing the bleed through effect by around 20%.

Shield regeneration: we’re keeping the increased regeneration rate when broken, but we’re drawing back a little on regeneration when formed for all shields – though they’re still going to be slightly better than active regeneration on current live.

Long Range and Focused upgrades: we’ve decided to leave focus as it is on live. Instead, we’re removing damage fall off from long range, and have removed its damage penalty.

Fragmentation Cannons: we’re rolling back the reload times and some armour penetration changes. Now, compared to current live, they will have increased ammo capacity. Medium and large versions will have reduced armour penetration and an increase to base damage. The upshot should be minimal change versus mid-sized ships and larger, but about a 15% damage increased to small ships and all shields.

Repair/reboot shield regeneration: We’re adding in a change that will prevent shields from reforming at the end of the reboot sequence if your ship was attacked during it. Given more time, we might consider finesses to this, but it’s the safest change for now that gives us what we initially wanted, which was fast out of combat shield regeneration.

Module reinforcement packages: we’re going to halve the mass across the board for both MRP and HRP. The mass range for these modules will now run from 1t to 32t. We’re also going to increase their health by 15%. Finally, The AFMU will now restore ten times more health to these modules, meaning more efficient, faster repair for them.

Military slots: we’re going to be reducing the number of slots by 1 on all vessels that currently have more than 1 slot.
On a related note, we’re reducing the Viper MkIII hull mass, from 60t down to 50t, which should give their Commanders a little more leeway when outfitting, especially with the military slot.

Railguns: this is more of a token change – we still want to take a deeper look at this weapon in the future, but for now, we’re increasing the ammo count from 30 to 80 slugs (the Imperial Hammer goes from 90 to 240 slugs), and reducing heat generated when firing by 20%.

Changes that will go through to the live build “as is”
Trader hull increase: We see this as a relatively safe change, so unless something crazy occurs between now and the new year, we’re going to let this through.

Cytoscrambler: we’re also going to let this one through with the 50% damage increase and reduced damage fall off (was 300m to 600m, will be 600m to 1km).

Burny

Some halfway useful wireframe skins:

highresscreenshot_201l1jcm.png

highresscreenshot_201s8jew.png

highresscreenshot_20188ku5.png

Downsampled 4k shots. Would like to have that IQ in realtime some day. Might be delusional to hope PS4 Pro/XBox Scorpio could help popularize putting some focus on image quality.

He3PGXs.png

to go with my Chrome Cutter and Wireframe Python.
3AQmK.gif

Python is pretty good but ultimately a downgrade IMO if you're just doing combat. Only reason I don't fly an FDL is the shitty seat position.

that shouldn't be a reason to not fly an FdL. Most ED ships are not centered. You get used to the diagonal bar and nothing beats landing shots with that C4 hardpoint.

Wireframe Anaconda

Chrome Corvette

Chrome Cutter

Full Album (may be easier to look at?): http://imgur.com/a/Z19FO

None of them offer anything of note from the flight deck view. Outside, they're all gorgeous on these ships, IMO. The Wireframe ships all have a bit of gloss to their black. The Chromes all reflect the lighting bouncing off of them superbly.

I also have the wireframe Python if there is any interest there.

Burny

Jedi2016

I'm pretty sure one of the emails specifically said "January".

Anyway, that chrome Cutter is a beauty. Too bad I don't have the credits to buy one.. lol. I'll be picking up the paint job anyway.

Just hooked up an Conda with some decent upgrades (not maxed out) and a fighter bay.

Wow, having a crew and fighters makes a huge difference. I like being able to mix it up and either control the Conda or switch to my agile fighter. Best of both worlds.

Jedi2016

Just hooked up an Conda with some decent upgrades (not maxed out) and a fighter bay.

Wow, having a crew and fighters makes a huge difference. I like being able to mix it up and either control the Conda or switch to my agile fighter. Best of both worlds.
I'm actually trying to figure out the best way of having my co-pilot fly the Anaconda. The one time I let them do it, I started getting messages about the power plant failing (no idea what that was, all modules were at 100%), but when I switched back my shields were almost gone because she'd transferred all power away from Systems.

I was thinking that if I set the distributor the way I want, then turn it off, she won't be able to fiddle with it, but I haven't had a chance to try it out. I'm in my Vulture right now for the CG, I'm considering bringing in the 'Conda, but it still feels a bit too squishy, or maybe I just got really spoiled with the ne'er-go-down shields on the FDL.

Oh, and there's a downside to setting your fighter to "Defend"... I got a bit too antsy and shot at a ship that I thought I had already scanned, so I picked up a bounty and the feds turned on me. Well, my dutiful fighter defended me, and started shooting at the feds. That didn't end well. Ten fucking million credit rebuy.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Wait i thought AI pilots weren't allowed to mess with your pips?

it's more likely that the distributor took some hits and briefly malfunctioned since that scrambles your pips around.

Burny

Finally got the layout more or less down and finished my personal reference sheet. As silly as it may sound, I'm going to need it the next time I want to play and haven't touched the game for more than half a year. :p

Pedals aren't displayed, but they're necessary imo for the CH Products. Otherwise it's a terrific HOTAS. Practically everything is mappable with a single modifier, from all the default actions to fighter commands and the weapon color toggle. There's even room to spare for additional functions to be mapped.

vector824

Pulled the trigger on the FDL last night, outfitted it this morning. Man is she a tank! Those shields are crazy strong, and the 4A beam laser melts anything. I feel much more confident engaging an FAS or Python now. Thanks for the build outs!

Funny part was I was headed to a system to grab 5A thrusters and the current CG was on the way! So I grabbed 2t of surface stabilizers and made a quick $600k while fueling up.

This is what I'm currently running right now: http://eddp.co/u/wMTlNQm6

DrBo42

Pulled the trigger on the FDL last night, outfitted it this morning. Man is she a tank! Those shields are crazy strong, and the 4A beam laser melts anything. I feel much more confident engaging an FAS or Python now. Thanks for the build outs!

Funny part was I was headed to a system to grab 5A thrusters and the current CG was on the way! So I grabbed 2t of surface stabilizers and made a quick $600k while fueling up.

This is what I'm currently running right now: http://eddp.co/u/6JagL4Zz

Beluga Liner?

Effect

So is the FDL the opposite of the Federal ships? Where it's shields are super strong but once they drop you're done? Where as the Federal ships have really weak shields but can last due to the armor, especially if you have hull modules on? Or is the FDL just overall better in all aspects?

Volimar

Was just checking the ED steam page to see if there were any paint packages or anything there I was interested and damn does that trailer overpromise.

DrBo42

Was just checking the ED steam page to see if there were any paint packages or anything there I was interested and damn does that trailer overpromise.
Lol. Welcome to Elite. Some of the most misleading trailers in the industry. That action one from a year or so ago was borderline lawsuit territory.

Volimar

I do like the capital ship fight video though. And I thought I was being smart by wanting to name my Corvette "Sword of Damocles".

Not sure what you mean by that...

It was a joke. I was saying what thruster rating do I need to have ships as maneuverable as the ones in the trailers.

Finally got the layout more or less down and finished my personal reference sheet. As silly as it may sound, I'm going to need it the next time I want to play and haven't touched the game for more than half a year. :p

Pedals aren't displayed, but they're necessary imo for the CH Products. Otherwise it's a terrific HOTAS. Practically everything is mappable with a single modifier, from all the default actions to fighter commands and the weapon color toggle. There's even room to spare for additional functions to be mapped.

Interesting CH layout. Mine is very, very different.

DrBo42

I do like the capital ship fight video though. And I thought I was being smart by wanting to name my Corvette "Sword of Damocles".

It was a joke. I was saying what thruster rating do I need to have ships as maneuverable as the ones in the trailers.
It's actually insane to me that some sort of Cap ship defense mission isn't in the game 2 years after launch. Or any sort of quasi cinematic distress call going out across a system or grid in the galaxy map leading to a large fight somewhere. Training missions show me they can do SOMETHING with chatter. Would be a nice wing activity.

Volimar

It's actually insane to me that some sort of Cap ship defense mission isn't in the game 2 years after launch. Or any sort of quasi cinematic distress call going out across a system or grid in the galaxy map leading to a large fight somewhere. Training missions show me they can do SOMETHING with chatter. Would be a nice wing activity.

The neat thing is that you can get in a fighter and go between the two halves of the front of a Farragut Cruiser. For some reason I expected there to be a hitbox there, but you can go all the way through.

Yeah cap ships are just pretty set pieces right now. Woefully underutilized.

They could at least MOVE and maneuver in conflict zones, dammit!

TDLink

So I just got this game on steam sale last week. Liking it quite a bit, already bought an Adder and am continuing exploring all it has to offer.

I am having an issue though...the NPC enemy ships seem impossible to deal with.

I go on a salvage mission, which should be simple enough, but 4 enemy ships show up and blast me apart in seconds. I have tried the mission 4 times now and at this point I'm giving up. Tried cargo scooping and getting out of there. Tried fighting back. Maybe if it was one ship I'd be able to do something, but 4 damn ships are impossible to deal with. And they take me out so fast. I feel pretty helpless. What gets me is the scanner before entering the mission zone says "Threat: 0".

Is there something I'm missing here or is this just not something I can do despite it being something I am an appropriate rank for?

Ocho

So I just got this game on steam sale last week. Liking it quite a bit, already bought an Adder and am continuing exploring all it has to offer.

I go on a salvage mission, which should be simple enough, but 4 enemy ships show up and blast me apart in seconds. I have tried the mission 4 times now and at this point I'm giving up. Tried cargo scooping and getting out of there. Tried fighting back. Maybe if it was one ship I'd be able to do something, but 4 damn ships are impossible to deal with. And they take me out so fast. I feel pretty helpless. What gets me is the scanner before entering the mission zone says "Threat: 0".

Is there something I'm missing here or is this just not something I can do despite it being something I am an appropriate rank for?

What level is the mission?

Burny

Interesting CH layout. Mine is very, very different.

Have you got a reference sheet? Could you feed the ref sheet generator with your .bindings? I'd really like to see where the main differences are.

Setting up a halfway sensible mapping has been quiet a learning experience. I tend to overlook details, that I'll only find later while playing. E.g. putting the mapping for landing gear on something that I can easily reach while being otherwise occupied with the vertical/lateral thrust axis. Never putting critical things like silent running or heatsinks (limited supply) anywhere I could hit them by accident, always behind the modifier and ideally on something that's functionally related. Generally clustering related functions, like wingmen selections and targeting.

I was pretty positively surprised I got by with a single modifier however. Granted, I also use headtracking, which frees HOTAS inputs and has me not ever wanting to go back to a cockpit game without it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Because of the Engineers now being part of the game, and NPC ships using lots of weapon mods, the game has become very difficult for players just starting out. With that mission you are talking about your only hope would be to scoop the target cargo as quickly as possible, put all pips into ENG and boost away as soon as they arrive and keep boosting as much as possible, and then high wake out ASAP. By high waking I mean jumping to a different system, this avoids being mass locked by the four attackers. In short, you need to flee your attackers ASAP because a stock Adder has zero chance against four engineered NPC attackers.

Even doing this, the mission simply might be impossible for a stock average outfit Adder.

danowat

Banned
Picked up horizons on the XBO daily sale, haven't played ED in a little while so any tips for someone coming back to ED for the horizons content?

TDLink

Because of the Engineers now being part of the game, and NPC ships using lots of weapon mods, the game has become very difficult for players just starting out. With that mission you are talking about your only hope would be to scoop the target cargo as quickly as possible, put all pips into ENG and boost away as soon as they arrive and keep boosting as much as possible, and then high wake out ASAP. By high waking I mean jumping to a different system, this avoids being mass locked by the four attackers. In short, you need to flee your attackers ASAP because a stock Adder has zero chance against four engineered NPC attackers.

Even doing this, the mission simply might be impossible for a stock average outfit Adder.

Yeah I definitely tried scooping and jumping out but I was shot down too fast every time. Really sucks but I guess I just have to deal with it if a similar thing happens on future missions. Is there anything I can outfit my ship with at all to better my defenses (either by weapons or otherwise) or do I basically have to wait until I get a better ship to even attempt to deal with NPCs?

Top Bottom