• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
engineer blueprints are being removed.[/B] Reasoning is that it sucks and storage isn't coming any time soon.

DUDE!

That's a megaton! That increases accessibility to actually using engineers by so much. I still wish that it was credit based so there was something to actually spend credits on, but still that's an amazing change.

Sibylus

Banned
Going through the ED official livestream with beta changes and upcoming news etc here

Only about 20 minutes in but there has been a significant change announcement.

Commodities in engineer blueprints are being removed. Reasoning is that it sucks and storage isn't coming any time soon.

I really like the sounds of this "Engineer Update" they've cooked up. I'll have to check them out when they get put into the game.

Full summary of the QA: http://remlok-industries.fr/635/dev-qa-summary-0612/?lang=en

• The Update 2.2.3 Beta will be available on Wednesday the 7th of December!
  • This Beta will be maintained until Eve’s day for a release around this date. Your feedback is really important, so don’t forget to hammer the game and write your feelings about these changes, on the forums.
  • Nothing on the 2.3, 2.4 or Season 3 for now.
  • Three main axis will be developed in this update:
    • Combat – Re-balancing most of the weapons and addition of a new defensive module;
    • Powerplay – Logistic Consolidation added and re-balancing AI PP ships;
    • Engineers – Changes on the Engineers’ mods, re-balancing, and more modifications;
  • The Engineers’ commodities will be temporarily removed from the recipes until a proper system is developed. We will still be able to find them in-game.
  • The developers would love to implement a storage for Engineers’ commodities. No details on that matter yet.
  • New mods are coming, Mark told us about Sensors and the different Scanners. For example we could increase their range or decrease their scanning times.
  • Improvements will be made for the Mining and Exploration roles in 2.3 (!). They know that the Explorers don’t earn enough credits and will address this issue in due times.
  • What about a mod that makes the opposite effect of Quick Fire, with slow but very powerful shots? Why not! That’s a good idea.
  • Regarding the changes on the mods Focused Fire and Long Range, if you don’t like the upcoming changes and would like to swap for the other mod: please contact the customer support team. They will be able to assist you with this.
  • The Exquisite Focus Crystals will be added in-game for us to play with the appropriate mods. If the fix goes smoothly, it will finally be fixed in 2.2.3.
  • The Punishment/Karma system is still being worked on in order to reward the good pilots and hunt the unlawful pilots.
  • Combat Logging is always something they want to eradicate from the game. The feature in place so far is being improved to track down the pilots quitting the game while in combat. First, a warning email is sent: it contains tips in order to improve the game’s stability and the player’s connection. The customer support team will be happy to help you if you have connectivity issues. Lastly, the email will tell you about Combat
  • Logging and the exploit of using it. Please reply to the CS team if you really do have technical issues.
  • During this Beta, every mods will be available to the community. The famous 1 Fish for each mods will be there as well. On a same note, it will be easier to grind the Federal and Imperial ranks in order to unlock the Power’s ships.
  • Special Modules are being Studied. As you know, the Beluga and the Orca have some special modules allowing them to equip only cargo or cabins in given slots. Frontier would like to develop this feature further, for example special armor modules (Reinforcements / Defense packs) for the Gunship / Dropship / Assault Ship in order to further specialize these ships into their heavy-hulls roles. I had the chance to discuss with Sandro during the gamescom 2016: the idea of special cargo modules for the T9 made him rethink the ship and its actual role and true issues (lack of cargo). That could be part of the 2.3, if the idea is kept.
  • The Merit points decay could be re-balanced, allowing more casual players to participate in the Powerplay feature. The total Merits of a pilot is actually halved every Thursday: the latter could be decreased.
  • They like the idea of a Pilots’ Market, but not for now.
  • It could be interesting to jump on a given star, in a system, in the case this system has more than one main star. Our FSD jump could allow a jump on the chosen star! If the developers have some spare time to develop this, they are inclined to do so; however this is not a priority.
  • Ed will try to provide us with the Python’s kit release date… crossed fingers.
  • The Reboot/Repair function will grant us 50% max shields, if we are under 50 m/s after the reboot. If our ship travels faster than 50 m/s, the function will stay the same as it is now, in order to avoid possible exploits in combat.
  • The Turrets weapons aren’t linked to the Sensors. Only the Gimballed weapons will be linked to our Sensors rating and the new shot angles.
  • The A rated Sensors will not be mandatory, however they will be a great tool for a fighter who doesn’t want to miss an opportunity to open fire on his target.
  • Around 53 minutes during the live, Edward told us that the 2.3 will be discussed in an upcoming Q/A! There is other Q/A before this, with the Quality Assurance team for example.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm really digging that shields at 50% after rebooting while standing still.
Some times after a long dog fight my shields are basically spent and I have to just go 4 pips to shields and wait for them to recharge, at least now I can give them a quick boostershot lol.

Burny

Elite Dangerous coming to PS4 Q2 2017.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/12/08/elite-dangerous-lifts-off-on-ps4-next-year/

Trailer here

Shows crew in seats actually animated.

Station in asteroid at 19 seconds.

Crazy detail on volcanic planet I haven't seen before at 48 seconds.

Probably more I'm missing.

Scanning Frontpage Expecting thread, not disappointed. Happy for PS4 owners. Took Frontier long enough. And who knows? Maybe Q2 is in time for season 3....

Can't believe they're still using footage of big Imp/Fed (cap) fleet formations like that, so misleading.

Mhh, Battlefield like instanced PvP missions with players fighting between fleets (think CQC on steroids). *drool* I wish Frontier did something to make missions more exciting here. The game is already instanced. More elaborate scenarios would be cool.

Volimar

Now Ps4 players can experience the thrill of being over-promised and instead spoonfed a burn so slow you'll want to check the pilot light.

Scanning Frontpage Expecting thread, not disappointed. Happy for PS4 owners. Took Frontier long enough. And who knows? Maybe Q2 is in time for season 3....

Mhh, Battlefield like instanced PvP missions with players fighting between fleets (think CQC on steroids). *drool* I wish Frontier did something to make missions more exciting here. The game is already instanced. More elaborate scenarios would be cool.

Where's our capital ship bounty CGs? Want to go to conflict zones and help take out enemy capital ships.

Burny

Small tidbits from the new trailer...

Space legs... :p (Suspect this to be just a specifically produced scene without relation to actual game mechanics. Unless season 3...)
cmdr1uajb0.png

Asteroid base? o_O "Bowdens Hollow"
asteroid_basep1jbk.png

Rank signs on shoulders.
cmdr2kzk3l.png

Multicrew Cobra with new suit (color) for the female pilot.
cmdr34dknq.png

New passenger ship beside Beluga and Orca
newpassengership9iulw.png

Awesome trailer, if not a bit misleading, as y'all mentioned.

That new ship is probably the Dolphin, right?

Note that the FD blog specifically mentions PS4 Pro support, too! Which leads me to believe there will be Scorpio support...no more slow loading/ugly planet surfaces :p

Volimar

It's a hyperspace ferry to Colonia. You pay a fee based on your ship and get transported to the new bubble. Will not make it through beta because immersion.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Now Ps4 players can experience the thrill of being over-promised and instead spoonfed a burn so slow you'll want to check the pilot light.

Well to be fair the game only starts showing its weaknesses and cracks once you're pushing 200 hrs lol.

At least that's how long before I started to complain :p

Vibrant Corvette and Cutter paint available: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...brant_corvette_cutter_paint_jobs_are_now_out/

Also mission updates live in the beta, as well as a chance for feedback: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/314067-Mission-Changes-Feedback

Hello Commanders!

This thread is for feedback directly relating to combat balance changes to missions.

Below are a list of changes that should be live in the beta:

Mission rewards should be better balanced with increases to smuggle and delivery in particular
Mission spawning should be better with a fairer split between the mission board and passenger lounge
Reduced mission generation failure (where you see error messages when trying to load the board)
Passenger missions should correctly award exploration elite rank points

Finally I would like to start a discussion about the topic of the skimmer massacre missions. For those who don't know the issue here is that if you can get missions that go to the same location killing a single skimmer will iterate the counters for all active missions related to that location. Unfortunately this issue is not easily solved and leaves us with only three practical options to balance these missions.

Remove the mission entirely
Reduce the rewards for this mission
Prevent players from being able to have more than a few of this mission type active at any one time
A combination of 2 and 3
3 but with slightly increased payouts

I would like to hear your thoughts on the options above, but please respect the fact that these are the only reasonable options available at this time.

Please keep on topic – off topic posts may be removed.

Volimar

LOL the devs keep giving the Canonn group Blue balls.

Galactic News: Ram Tah Breaks his Silence

Ram Tah, the reclusive engineer leading research into the Synuefe ruins, has broken his silence. In a statement, he said:

"I have made the first step in unlocking the ruins' secrets! Using data delivered by independent pilots and explorers, my researchers and I have created a decryption algorithm that can decipher the data patterns contained in the mysterious obelisks."

"But although this is extremely exciting, the real work has only just begun. I have taken measures to ensure that our algorithm is automatically uploaded to any ship that docks at a starport in the Meene system. The algorithm will allow independent researchers to decrypt data from the site."

"I sincerely believe that the knowledge in the Synuefe ruins belongs to us all, and I intend to do everything I can to facilitate access to that knowledge."

https://community.elitedangerous.com...57ba9b4f580c99

Crikey!

Then Michael Brookes posts:

Sorry - this has been posted in error. The missions will be in the main game when 2.2.03 goes live - currently planned for the New Year.

Michael

Bumping for this insane deal: use code ELITEGAMERS to get 70% off Tobii Eye Tracker 4C

Cuts little over $100 off the $150 pricetag! Ordered mine just now.

Edit: Here's Obsidian using and explaining the 4C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-q21Ityg4g&t=300s
and bought. insane, shipping and vat is more than the actual device lol

Can someone explain the Engineer commodity thing to me? What are the requirements to do mods now?
it is mats and commodities now, it will be only mats then

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Can someone explain the Engineer commodity thing to me? What are the requirements to do mods now?

First you need to build up rep to get access to better quality mods, usually requires doing a specific task or getting them some items.

Then to apply the mod to a module you need materials which don't take up cargo space (stuff like scan data) and commodities which take up cargo space. This makes it very time consuming (lots of trips) to do multiple rolls if your ship isn't really a hauler or if you're modding out many optional internals.

DrBo42

Vibrant Corvette and Cutter paint available: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...brant_corvette_cutter_paint_jobs_are_now_out/

Also mission updates live in the beta, as well as a chance for feedback: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/314067-Mission-Changes-Feedback

Next year on PS4 you too can experience a galaxy full of undercooked features. Find a profitable mission type? Experience the will of FD as it's nerfed or completely removed. Blaze your own trail.*

*Your trail does not include progression outside of ship ownership and wallet balance. Trails are subject to removal, paving or re-routing at any time.

DrBo42

Have they said whether they'll be doing any kind of event for Christmas? Have they in the past?
Isn't really that type of game. They might do some cheeky CG but stations don't get wreaths or anything. There will be a Christmas tree bobblehead in the store.

Effect

Isn't really that type of game. They might do some cheeky CG but stations don't get wreaths or anything. There will be a Christmas tree bobblehead in the store.

There currently is one now I believe. Been there for a while now but that's it. You could in theory buy the letter set. Use them to spell out words in your ship and they're red, green, and yellow so you could at the very least dress up your cockpits.

I actually wish they did more of that. The inside of your ships is all you really see on a constant basis in the game. More options to customize it on the inside would be nice. So many paint jobs that I think are just wasted. You rarely see out side of your ship while actually flying. Due to how the instance system works it's not like many people will see it as well. Hell I'd actually be willing to pay for a different inside design if allowing you to add different things outside of the bobble heads is to hard. A straight up design swap would be okay.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I would love alternative configurations for cockpits, I love the FdL but the british style configuration on Zorgon Peterson ships isn't my favorite thing, it makes me wanna switch back to a python some times.

Burny

I understand not everybody is wearing headsets or generally wants to strap something onto their head, but as a bargain alternative to TrackIR or that eye tracking thing, I really cannot recommend the EDtracker (Pro) enough.

The downside is occasional recalibration with a button press, but it works perfectly with any screen size or distance from the screen and costs a fraction of the TrackIR. Obviously, glasses aren't a problem. :p

Edit: Just going through the controls and stumbled upon an engine color toggle next to the weapons color toggle. Was it known they plan to make various engine colors available?

<WeaponColourToggle>
<Primary Device="{NoDevice}" Key="" />
<Secondary Device="{NoDevice}" Key="" />
</WeaponColourToggle>
<EngineColourToggle>
<Primary Device="{NoDevice}" Key="" />
<Secondary Device="{NoDevice}" Key="" />
</EngineColourToggle>

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Oh man this is my first time trying out a class 4 beam laser and it just strips shields but it basically melts my shit.

I've thought about just doing a total meme ship fit with beam lasers and heat sinks, but I doubt i'd be able to fire all beams for more than 2 seconds without shorting out the capacitor...so maybe the heat sinks would be over kill lol, doubt i'd be able to fire long enough to generate enough heat.

Jedi2016

Depends on your ship setup. One thing a lot of folks forget is that heat is largely based on your power plant. Even if you're under 100% usage, getting a better power plant can help the ship run cooler. My Anaconda's at a pretty good place right now as far as heat and beams go.. I can fire two small, one large, and one huge, and my heat hits 80% (where it starts issuing audible warnings) right about the same time the capacitor runs dry. All while firing two large and two medium turreted pulse cannons that can more or less fire indefinitely as long as there's an inkling of power in the capacitor (with 4 pips, of course).

Some interesting changes coming to beta: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/314821-Additional-Testing

Shield regeneration speed increase
We’re going to increase the speed at which shields regenerate.

The largest shields, size 8, will gain the most benefit (x2 regeneration when broken), whilst the smallest, size 1, will see no gain. The benefit scales linearly for the rest of the shields.
The regeneration effect will be more pronounced on shields that are already formed. It’s worth remembering that shields still cannot regenerate for a few moments after taking damage.
As a side effect, regenerating shields will generate more ship heat, though not by a very significant amount.

Bi-weave regeneration increase
We’re also buffing up the regeneration boost that bi-weave shields have. These shields have improved active regeneration rates, but seeing how small the actual rates are (even with the buff above), we feel they weren’t quite as competitive as they should be.

We think these shield changes are positives in of themselves. However, they also support a more experimental change to shields that we’ll be discussing in a separate post.

Trader hull health increase
We feel that traders are too weak.

They’re never going to be combat beasts thanks to their limited hardpoints and manoeuvrability, but that doesn’t mean they should boil up *quite* so quickly.

So we’re doubling the hull health of the following ships: Hauler, Type 6, Keelback, Type 7, Type 9 Heavy.

We were considering a larger increase, but we figure it would be good to get some feedback from you folk – although this isn’t in our opinion a controversial tweak, it’s the corner cases we need looking at from all angles.

Military ship slots
We’ve mentioned this concept a while ago and it grew on us, so we’re going to test it out.

We’re adding some special “military” slots to a subset of ships.

These slots are additions, so no ship will lose anything. However, the only modules that these slots will accept are hull reinforcement, module reinforcement and shield cell banks.
The concept here is to increase choice for the more combat oriented ships, without awarding the same benefit to multipurpose vessels that already have a slew of advantages.
It’s not all roses though. Remember, additional modules means extra mass and potentially higher power draw.

The following ships will benefit from additional military slots:

Eagle: 1x size 2
Imperial Eagle: 1x size 2
Viper Mk III: 2x size 3
Viper Mk IV: 2x size 3
Vulture: 2x size 5
Federal Dropship: 3x size 4
Federal Gunship 3x size 4
Federal Assault ship: 3x size 4
Anaconda: 2x size 5
Imperial Cutter: 3x size 5
Federal Corvette 3x size5

Whilst we can already hear the deluge of “ship X has too many/too few/where is ship X!” posts, we’re really interested in how these changes feel to the ships that have them, in the beta (we still know you’re going to make the other posts anyway ).

Final notes: the FDL is not on this list for a reason. We don’t believe it needs the help military slots provide and it’s not used by any authority or military force.

Also, it could be argued that the three large ships don’t need the additional defence. The reason they are testing them is because of the shield changes that we’re going to discuss in the separate post.

Cytoscrambler strength increase
For those who can get it, we’ve increased the damage output of this weapon. It should now be competitive at shield stripping, even against medium/large size weapons.

We’ve also increased its range, up to 1km, and increased the damage fall off to start at 600m (it was previously starting to drop at 300m).

Go, go Archon, you bad, bad man!

OK, that’s all for now. We look forward to your observations, comments and suggestions!

And some experimental shield changes: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/314820-(very)-Experimental-shield-change

We’re going to experiment with a somewhat radical change to shields. We don’t necessarily expect it to stick beyond the beta, because we’re not sure if it goes too far or not far enough, or even if it’s the best avenue to explore.

The best way to answer these questions is to try it out, and that’s why we love betas!

The issue we see is how stacking shield boosters, and heavily engineering them, creates shields that can be an order of magnitude more powerful than improvements available to weaponry.

This presents most obviously when flying the “big three” and FDLs, thanks to their abundance of booster-capable utility mounts. As an aside, these changes won’t affect smaller ships unless you are cramming all your utility mounts with boosters.

The end result is top tier ships with shields can be almost impossible to break in 1v1 PvP engagements, and can make PvE engagements somewhat risk free.

As we’ve mentioned in the last livestream, we’d like to reduce the disparity in durability between engineered huge ships and their basic counterparts, but we also want the big ships to remain durable when engaged by smaller vessels with less powerful weapons.

So we’re going to make the following changes in this beta:

* We’re adding significant diminishing returns to shield boosters. Past 4 standard boosters, or 2 heavily engineered ones, you’re going to see some monumental drop off. We’re reducing the shield strength of heavily engineered ships to approximately 40% of current capabilities on the live servers.

* To offset this significant drop in shield health, we’re going to harden the “big three”. We’re reducing damage dealt to their hull by small and medium weapons by a factor of three, and large weapons by a third. It's worth pointing out that this affects both hull and module health.

* Huge weapons are designed to be large ship breakers, so they will gain an increase in hardness penetration, allowing them to deal full damage at all times.

* We’re increasing the base shield for the big three by a small amount; between 10 and 15 percent (the cutter gets the bigger boost).

So to clarify, with these changes we’re shifting the durability of the big three away from shields and onto hull defence as well as reducing it from current levels in live.
Caveat time!

This is a pretty large change. Once again, we won’t be making any final decision until we’ve seen results in the beta, but we’re just as likely to roll it back as to push it through – it’s certainly one of our more experimental changes.

We’re also aware that it will mean the top tier ships, such as the FDL and big three, will be at more risk in group PvP. Even with a toughened hull, they won’t be able to reach the sorts of defensive numbers that the current shield booster/engineered shield booster stacking can create.

We have ideas about group PvP that we think could help, but that’s for a different discussion.

Also, to reiterate, this change will make PvE encounters riskier. Even though NPCs don’t min-max their ships to ultra-kill levels, your large ships will still have less durability. We see this as a positive – a game without challenge is less interesting.

SmartBase

All of that shield booster engineer busywork would've been for nothing if they actually follow through with this, really annoying. And here I was about to jump back into the game.

Have the previous one. They suck if you have glasses.

Not a problem for me but it's a pretty big oversight considering how many people use them.

All of that shield booster engineer busywork would've been for nothing if they actually follow through with this, really annoying. And here I was about to jump back into the game.

Not a problem for me but it's a pretty big oversight considering how many people use them.

I'm sure that, *if* those changes even made it to production, they would be modified heavily based on player feedback.

Oh man, FDL pilots are gonna be pissed if those military slot changes go through.

Hey, at least FDL players will have something legitimate to whine about now! Those things are significantly OP in combat and have been for a little while now.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
As someone flying an FDL with engineered shield boosters all I can say is THANK GOD!

These changes should hopefully add so much variety to the gameplay, I am hoping that the conda, vette and cutter don't end up feeling too powerful by the end of this because I would love for smaller ships to gain more relevancy in dogfighting.

Shields are waaayyy too strong right now it's insane to the point that people without engineered shields and boosters could be flying sidewinders and it wouldn't matter. I am glad the gap is being tightened.

Top Bottom