• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Jedi2016

Yeah I definitely tried scooping and jumping out but I was shot down too fast every time. Really sucks but I guess I just have to deal with it if a similar thing happens on future missions. Is there anything I can outfit my ship with at all to better my defenses (either by weapons or otherwise) or do I basically have to wait until I get a better ship to even attempt to deal with NPCs?
Take a much closer look at the mission description. First, the part that says "Hostile ships may be sent against you." And second, the mission ranking. It may not be a trading rank, you may get what seems like a nice, simple pickup or transport mission, that recommends an Elite rank in combat... that will tell you something about what you'll be up against.

Now, in terms of salvage missions specifically, don't be under the impression that you have to pick up every single piece of salvage before you leave. There will be more than one USS spawn for salvage. Pick up one or two if you can and GTFO before the bad guys show up and get a bead on you. Then just fly around until another Mission USS appears. Rinse, repeat.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah I definitely tried scooping and jumping out but I was shot down too fast every time. Really sucks but I guess I just have to deal with it if a similar thing happens on future missions. Is there anything I can outfit my ship with at all to better my defenses (either by weapons or otherwise) or do I basically have to wait until I get a better ship to even attempt to deal with NPCs?

Get two things: the best shields you can buy, and the best thrusters you can install. For an Adder that would be 3A shields and 3A thrusters. The Adder can actually get even better (faster) thrusters from certain engineers, 3A Enhanced thrusters which would easily allow you to escape, but you'd need to unlock the engineer first, I think that's Felicity which has them? Not sure offhand.

Jedi2016

Yeah, Felicity sells them.

I tried them out on my Eagle, and they draw so much power, even with a Class A power plant, that the rest of the ship would more or less shut down whenever I deployed weapons. And that's with power management. I suppose I could do a high-level overcharge on the power plant to give me more juice, but when I tested them in normal flight, they were only giving me a few extra mps in speed.. just not worth the hassle.

I do have them in my Courier, but the rest of that ship is stripped down, it's meant as a runner only. No shields, no cargo, just big engines and a fuel scoop.

On a completely different note, I did pick up on a neat trick from a Reddit post the other day, for my Asp. The idea of using much lower-end components than the ship would normally use, in order to lower the mass and extend jump range. For some reason, it just never occurred to me before. For example, the Asp normally has a Class 5 power plant, so I had a 5D installed, the lightest Class 5 power plant I could get. Turns out I can install a Class 2 power plant and still have enough juice to run most of my systems with only some slight power management (and most of my systems are powered down when I'm outside the bubble anyway). It's a hell of a lot lighter, and because it's A-rated, it's very efficient and very cool, cooler than the Class 5 one I was using. So I stripped down the distributor, thrusters, and shields to the bare minimum, and managed to get another 2 light years or so jump range, which puts me over the big Five-O. My distributor is so weak that I can't even boost anymore.. lol. But honestly, that's the one ship I have that just doesn't need it.

DrBo42

Anyone got a line on a civil war system with massacre missions at the moment? Want to jump into Elite a bit this weekend and have it actually be worth something. PM if you don't want the system name spread around.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So I just bought this game yesterday and I have to say, gonna take me a min to get use to docking

So I just bought this game yesterday and I have to say, gonna take me a min to get use to docking

It'll become second nature before long with practice. I think this is one of the biggest challenges with newcomers. You'll be coming in hot with a perfect landing before you know it.

Effect

It'll become second nature before long with practice. I think this is one of the biggest challenges with newcomers. You'll be coming in hot with a perfect landing before you know it.
I agree. Docking is surprisingly the biggest thing to get used to. If you had different camera angles I think it would be easier. Is it to much to ask that this super advance ship have an external camera so I can see behind me or below me!?

So would this be a good time to purchase Horizons and get back into the game before the Steam Sale ends? I purchased Elite sometimes in 2015 I think and had great fun with it by myself but at one point I got a bit tired of grinding to a better ship and stopped playing, especially as Horizons came out and I didn't want to buy it yet. The last thing I remember doing was flying around in an Adder and saving up for a Imperial Clipper. I adore the design of the Imperial ships and would love to fly one of them but I didn't quite make it to the Clipper just yet, I think I'm about 10 million short.

DrBo42

So would this be a good time to purchase Horizons and get back into the game before the Steam Sale ends? I purchased Elite sometimes in 2015 I think and had great fun with it by myself but at one point I got a bit tired of grinding to a better ship and stopped playing, especially as Horizons came out and I didn't want to buy it yet. The last thing I remember doing was flying around in an Adder and saving up for a Imperial Clipper. I adore the design of the Imperial ships and would love to fly one of them but I didn't quite make it to the Clipper just yet, I think I'm about 10 million short.

That's still going to be a problem, even with Horizons. I can't recommend this game to anyone with its current content. 2.3 is coming with multi-crew at some point but apparently no wing missions or group content is coming with it. No idea when something of substance that isn't a framework will actually arrive.

DrBo42

These massacre missions are insane. Anyone on PC want to wing up in a combat ship and get in on this money train? Doing it the legit way in conflict zones.

Edit: 200 million credits in 1 day from this solo. It's nuts. My fighter crew went from Harmless to Master and has made 10 million credits for himself.

That's still going to be a problem, even with Horizons. I can't recommend this game to anyone with its current content. 2.3 is coming with multi-crew at some point but apparently no wing missions or group content is coming with it. No idea when something of substance that isn't a framework will actually arrive.

Oh that's actually not too much of an issue for me, I probably should have worded that better, I know Elite is grindy and hasn't much content, it's an EA game and I have to pay for a while and that's fine. I meant it more in a sense of, I always play Elite till I'm stuffed on space-games and then take a break.

danowat

Banned
so I am a little confused here, nothing new for me when it comes to ED!!!

I haven't played in a while, so I am a little rusty anyway, but I was keen to get back into the game with horizons.

What stage is the XBO version up to? what does horizons contain on XBO?

I was hoping for some kind of notice, or a push in a certain direction when booting the game for the first time post horizons, but no....

I get that planetary landings are included, I've watched some videos and can just about get my head around that, although the fact that any resource minerals you acquire on the surface can't be sold on the commodities market seems a little odd.

Does the XBO version include the engineers? how are they accessed?

Does the XBO version include ship launched fighters?

zorbsie

so I am a little confused here, nothing new for me when it comes to ED!!!

I haven't played in a while, so I am a little rusty anyway, but I was keen to get back into the game with horizons.

What stage is the XBO version up to? what does horizons contain on XBO?
Pretty sure it's exactly the same as PC.

I get that planetary landings are included, I've watched some videos and can just about get my head around that, although the fact that any resource minerals you acquire on the surface can't be sold on the commodities market seems a little odd.
It is odd. And if you're like me you'll reach the max amount and be scrambling to use materials just to be able to pick up more. :)
You use the materials with the engineers.

Does the XBO version include the engineers? how are they accessed?

Does the XBO version include ship launched fighters?
Yes they are included. You have to be invited to meet one. On the stats screen, there is a button at the bottom to view engineers. This will show you all that engineers you have access to and what requirements you have to meet to unlock them.

And yes the fighters are also in the XBO version. Having a fighter with me makes my Anaconda feel even more powerful :)

I booted up my non-Horizons version of Elite yesterday and now remember what I was doing before I stopped playing, it wasn't the Clipper, I was saving for a Imperial Courier and I already have enough but I was grinding Imperial ranks to get to Imperial Master.

Is there any established method to rank up quick? I'm currently at Outsider and about 3/4 to the next rank.

Have to say, the GAF system is pretty nice:

2B35909C8C6DACD8D9AF7A7E776225BB12E47D4B

I'm back to playing non-VR with TrackIR again for at least awhile. I'd always rather play VR but there are some things I've missed about non-VR, like image quality and the ease of using a mouse and keyboard for menu's and the Galaxy map.

Urthor

btw guys if you want to earn some absurdly ridiculous amounts of cash, 17 Draconis has massacre missions and I'm told you can earn above 100m an hour there by stacking massacre missions. Good call if any of you want to get some anaconda money.

btw guys if you want to earn some absurdly ridiculous amounts of cash, 17 Draconis has massacre missions and I'm told you can earn above 100m an hour there by stacking massacre missions. Good call if any of you want to get some anaconda money.

Interesting. I'm also Deadly and 48% to Elite so a combat money maker would be awesome and progress me in 2 areas.

foxuzamaki

OKAY, I JUST HYPERDRIVED INTO A PART OF THE GALAXY WHERE THIS TINY ASS WHITE SUN IS AT AND EVERYRHING IS KINDA BLACK AND CLOUDY AROUND IT AND IM FREAKING OUT, I HEARD YOU CAN COME OUT OF HYPERSPACE INTO A BLACK HOLE BUT THIS DOESNT LOOK LIKE IT????

When I was in hyperspace I read the information and it said star class DA, no idea what it means but I'm guessing the D stands for DEAD D:

Xero

im sure this has been answered before, but buying a new flight stick (last time I played a game with one was tie fighter) and look for some good space sims to play and I've looked long and hard at elite dangerous, and really kinda confused what I would expect from the game. Figured ok I can play it and explore this huge galaxy great! Look online no its an mmo so single player is like playing a single player mmo and people advising against it. Ok cool I have a gaming group on fridays maybe I can convince them to get this to play with me, then read the game isn't set up very well for playing with friends and with little co op missions. So a lot of the game sounds cool but im just confused on what the game is really lol with these conflicting opinions ive read. Is PvP the main attraction of the game?

Welp, made the long trek to 17 Draconis in my basically defenseless Asp only to be destroyed by a Commander murderer who just interdicted me and killed me on sight, without warning. Be aware, CMDR Sky something or other was his name. I have no idea why I didn't escape the interdiction. I was in the blue virtually the whole time and it just kept dropping in his favor. Now I'll be spawning back at the station I started from 400 light years away to make the trip again. Ha, the whole idea was to get there and transport my FDL when I got there to save time since I have limited playtime. Fucking assholes.

Burny

Ha, the whole idea was to get there and transport my FDL when I got there to save time since I have limited playtime. Fucking assholes.

If you're going for the somewhat exploitative method (skimmers, not CZ) a FDL is hopelessly overkill. Maximum effectiveness requires you to destroy your ship a lot, to save the trek back to base. Any Viper or Cobra with missiles will do.

Are there even CZ spawning in 17 Draconis? I can't remember seeing one there.

foxuzamaki

White dwarf. It's fine, just keep your distance.
Thanks and after I got done freaking out i realized how beautiful it was and took a few screenshots,
its crazy it must have been just after the old star exploded
Welp, made the long trek to 17 Draconis in my basically defenseless Asp only to be destroyed by a Commander murderer who just interdicted me and killed me on sight, without warning. Be aware, CMDR Sky something or other was his name. I have no idea why I didn't escape the interdiction. I was in the blue virtually the whole time and it just kept dropping in his favor. Now I'll be spawning back at the station I started from 400 light years away to make the trip again. Ha, the whole idea was to get there and transport my FDL when I got there to save time since I have limited playtime. Fucking assholes.
Same thing almost happened to me, I warped to a nearly dead star and was amazed at how beautiful it was but also sad and then this guy talked about my hual and then said he as coming for me, all of a sudden I was getting indicted and he started shooting, I managed to warp drive out of there to where I was heading but it was crazy

Chumley

Banned
I bought Horizons over the steam sale, jumping back into this after a very long break. How do I join the GAF system or whatever?

If you're going for the somewhat exploitative method (skimmers, not CZ) a FDL is hopelessly overkill. Maximum effectiveness requires you to destroy your ship a lot, to save the trek back to base. Any Viper or Cobra with missiles will do.

Are there even CZ spawning in 17 Draconis? I can't remember seeing one there.

Oh this is skimmers and stuff and a weird exploit? I wasn't even following, just saw that high payout option was in the system, hadn't taken the time to look into the details. I guess I'll just do bounty hunting for the time being in the system I'm in for peanuts.

foxuzamaki

I've also been curious about a sort of guild, I watched a video of a guy showing off the game, and he said he recommended mobius cause there's no killing and had like 11,000 players, and then later when reading the OP gag also recommended mobius, old if you guys still have mobius though

DrBo42

There are no guilds. Just 4 player wings you can join with no mission sharing or content designed or scaled for them at the moment. Factions are just entities in stations or outposts or planetary bases opting for power through the background sim and player manipulation of said sim. Only comparable thing in the game for contributing towards a cooperative effort is powerplay and that's mostly about module or weapon rewards that don't mean much outside pvp. Prismatic shields are best in slot for big ships though IMO.

SmartBase

After two months I thought I'd boot up the game and try do some GAF missions in Apam Napat but there are no missions in any mode. What a joke.

Guess I'm going for prismatics then. - wait, I need to be aligned for four weeks before I can even buy them even if I have all the required merits turned in? Ugh.

DrBo42

After two months I thought I'd boot up the game and try do some GAF missions in Apam Napat but there are no missions in any mode. What a joke.

Guess I'm going for prismatics then. - wait, I need to be aligned for four weeks before I can even buy them even if I have all the required merits turned in? Ugh.
Yeah it's a real pain. But at least now you can buy a few and store them for multiple classes.

SmartBase

Yeah it's a real pain. But at least now you can buy a few and store them for multiple classes.

Small steps and all that, they need to hurry up with removing engineer commodities.

No idea why they make you wait four weeks to get access to the power goodies though, I'm sure as shit not going to play during that time because of all those time-wasting interdictions.

DrBo42

Small steps and all that, they need to hurry up with removing engineer commodities.

No idea why they make you wait four weeks to get access to the power goodies though, I'm sure as shit not going to play during that time because of all those time-wasting interdictions.

Yeah 4 weeks and you need to maintain or get to rank 3 with her by that 4th week to purchase them. Merit decays over time. Interdictions are the single worst part of powerplay. I get the whole wearing gang colors in rivals systems etc but the current implementation is obnoxious as fuck.

SmartBase

Yeah 4 weeks and you need to maintain or get to rank 3 with her by that 4th week to purchase them. Merit decays over time. Interdictions are the single worst part of powerplay. I get the whole wearing gang colors in rivals systems etc but the current implementation is obnoxious as fuck.

It's 750 for rank 3 isn't it? I got that many in about 60 minutes at a haz-res, might just do the same again before my fourth powerplay tick. Just need to find something else to play for four weeks.

Effect

So I managed to finally get voice attack working in a way that I find acceptable. Certainly helps streamline some things. I've been popping in and out of the game here and there lately. Not really staying for to long or even trying to force myself to play. Sometimes I just want to get in to look around agricultural station I'm in because I like how it looks and then I'm out.

I think I might very well decide to spend more and more time on planets. If I really think about it I haven't spent a lot of time just being on them. I've landed at outpost or gone to mission objectives but I've never just tried to find things on them. Maybe I should start doing that and learning how to properly read the scanner. Anyone have any tips on that front?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Maybe I should start doing that and learning how to properly read the scanner. Anyone have any tips on that front?

In an official dev tutorial they explained that each material or thing has its own sound and scheme on the radar, the bars itself does not show the distance but the direction and the thinner it gets (less of the same bars) the closer you are.

More there : Wave Scanner - Elite Dangerous: Horizons Pilot Training

foxuzamaki

So I'm still a newbie at this game but I'm just super excited for when we make contact with aliens, the only unfortunate thing is that our relationship with the aliens is what player characters will do, and that's 95.9% most likely shooting at them, which would cause a intergalactic war which I don't want but at the same time, kinda excited if we do

Top Bottom