• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Alright I picked up my UA, snuck into Obsidian Orbital and tomorrow I'm gonna just jump between systems in the dark sector and hopefully find some thargoids.

I even met a cool CMDR out on the crash site and we hung around for a while and chatted

BC773104B81754F9C60C1C090763D4B90EF25612

How good is this game? I bought it awhile back played like 30mins and felt i couldnt figure out anything i want to get back into it and maybe add some people

I got these rudder pedals as a gift to complete my setup, and given today's events, it looks like a fantastic time to get back into Elite Dangerous.

Now to finish my mapping.

if you need a map for your CH triple setup, let me know. I love mine. Been using it for 1.5 years.

How good is this game? I bought it awhile back played like 30mins and felt i couldnt figure out anything i want to get back into it and maybe add some people

It still has a learning curve that will take you more than 30 minutes to work through. It's worth working through it.

Arulan

if you need a map for your CH triple setup, let me know. I love mine. Been using it for 1.5 years.

I have a general idea. The last time I played a lot was before the Vive, and there are a lot of functions I don't need anymore because of it. I wouldn't mind taking a look though for any ideas.

I like to play with FA off, and finally having discrete analog axes for everything is...

conair.jpg

I have a general idea. The last time I played a lot was before the Vive, and there are a lot of functions I don't need anymore because of it. I wouldn't mind taking a look though for any ideas.

I like to play with FA off, and finally having discrete analog axes for everything is...

conair.jpg

https://github.com/domdavis/ch-products-elite-map

layout: https://github.com/domdavis/ch-products-elite-map/blob/master/layouts/full.pdf

this is the core of what i used, and I built on a few additional things from there. If you decide to use it, I can help you add the rudder pedals to the map.

Burny

https://github.com/domdavis/ch-products-elite-map

layout: https://github.com/domdavis/ch-products-elite-map/blob/master/layouts/full.pdf

this is the core of what i used, and I built on a few additional things from there. If you decide to use it, I can help you add the rudder pedals to the map.

I remember that someone pointed me to that setup after I got the CH HOTAS (it was you, I believe?) and not getting along with it too well, due to not putting in the necessary time to get accustomed. I then started to play with mouse and keyboard and waited for the pedals to arrive, by which time... I continued playing with mouse and keyboard due to the convenience of having a well memorized setup until recently. :p

Seeing that sheet really enforces how important head tracking is, as the lack thereof simply consumes the whole unmodified POV on the stick, which can imo be used much better otherwise. It's similar for pedals on sticks without a twist axis, although the pedals might introduce an actually steeper learning curve for one's motor function, than having the yaw on that hat switch. Without pedals however, it seems like a good way to map it, especially in combination with the forward/backward thrust, that is sometimes very convenient for landing. Just throttle down and adjust with small inputs.

That official .pdf diagram of the CH hardware is pure eye cancer. >.<

SmartBase

'Goid hype making the servers shit themselves, can't jump out of my current system without an unrecoverable transaction error.

Things are back to normal. I think.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Holy shit, Im late but we made first contact guys, this is amazing

Yeah it is really cool and about time. However, just to nitpick a little bit, while I’m happy that we’ve finally seen some Thargoid activity, I’m a bit surprised at how MUCH we’ve seen over the course of barely half a day. It’s pretty much like Frontier just finally decided to flip a switch and BAM we have Thargoids. In my opinion this would have been a much better event if the occurrence had started out much more rare, like maybe it happens to one person, then a few days another player, and then slowly it ramps up to something that happens several times a day and more. As it happened last night, it kind of just feels like another Frontier activated thing that would have happened irregardless of any player activity or involvement.

That said though, they’ve done a great job with the Thargoid encounter itself.

Yeah it does.

I noticed, I'm already at Master now anyway, just need to find a progression-mission I can do.

And well the recent happenings pushed me into buying Horizons, I can't wait to see what's out there :D One question though, I got my first engineer contact, Felicity Farseer, is it worth flying 200ly just to get this going?

Also I consider myself someone that can fly anything in video-games, I might not be the best but no matter if Battlefield or other things I can usually hold things in the air and get around however I can't handle Flight Assist OFF in Elite. I'm currently playing with keyboard and mouse, might switching to a Dualshock 4 help me with this or should I just practice?

I can't afford to buy a HOTAS just for one game.

Burny

Does HOTAS work with VR?

The question would imply you don't know what HOTAS stands for: Hands On Throttle And Stick. A throttle + joystick input device combination.

Unless you can blindly hit every key of your keyboard with 100% accuracy, you need either a HOTAS setup to play Elite in VR or you have to resort to a gamepad, as on these types of devices, it's quiet easy to blindly hit the correct buttons to activate ingame functions.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Does HOTAS work with VR?
Yep.

I use a cheap 45 dollar HOTAS and it works flawlessly. T.flight hotas x from thrust master. Really solid build quality for the price, it has like 14 buttons but you can get super creative and bind all the actions you're ever gonna need because the game lets you map any key combo. I even have a free button on my throttle for push to talk.

I can help set up a good bind list if you ever pick one up.

Burny

Then don't. Mouse + keyboard is arguably the most efficient and precise setup for combat you can find in Elite, once you've got used to it and changed the rubbish default layout for something suitable. It might not be ideal for full FA off, but limited FA off for turns works without issues.

The learning curve with HOTAS isn't that much better. With gimbaled weapons, a gamepad will also do, although you lose the ability to map everything as easily as on the keyboard or the better HOTAS.

I use a cheap 45 dollar HOTAS and it works flawlessly. T.flight hotas x from thrust master. Really solid build quality for the price, it has like 14 buttons but you can get super creative and bind all the actions you're ever gonna need because the game lets you map any key combo. I even have a free button on my throttle for push to talk.

Yup, Isinona, one of my fav Elite pilots, used that same stick and he has SKILLZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLXzEQyacMw

Wish he was still making videos :(

EDIT: LOL at this unnecessarily snarky Forbes line:

Elite Dangerous, otherwise known as the No Man's Sky that's actually good, or the Star Citizen that's actually out, is making headlines for a rather cool reason as of last night.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Elite Dangerous, otherwise known as the No Man’s Sky that’s actually good, or the Star Citizen that’s actually out, is making headlines for a rather cool reason as of last night.

That’s funny, but it’s also hard to argue against. For all of Elite’s issues, and there are many, it is still arguably the best space sim game out by a long margin right now. It just is.

Ding-Ding

Oh my. I dont even have the game yet (PS4 owner) and I am freaking the fuck out over the Thargoids.

Now, will it have Tharglets...

Q2 cannot come soon enough. May just have to read Dark Wheel again to soothe the wait

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Does anyone have that video where that girl sets up picture in picture so you can view netflix within elite?

It was linked somewhere in this thread but I cannot find it for the life of me. One of my friends is trying to set that up for his vive.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
JUST GOT INTERDICTED BY THARGOIDS!

I WAS ONE JUMP OUT FROM MAIA

IN MY KEELBACK WITH A UA

PANICKING

I SHOT AT THEM

NOTHING HAPPENED

I"m uploading a video but it's nothing you haven't already seen.

Edit: https://youtu.be/1jTVJLCoJrE you're gonna have to deal with the background peanut gallery of my friends lol, but there it is. I opened fire on them and literally nothing happens. It was pretty cool to see for myself.

Huh okay that price-range would actually work for me, I'll keep that in mind, thanks :)

No need, it is absolutely playable with a controller if you find a mapping that suits you.

Well with the capabilities of the DS4 especially I could see that being easy though I wondered if a DS4 has any advantages over mouse + keyboard.

Then don't. Mouse + keyboard is arguably the most efficient and precise setup for combat you can find in Elite, once you've got used to it and changed the rubbish default layout for something suitable. It might not be ideal for full FA off, but limited FA off for turns works without issues.

The learning curve with HOTAS isn't that much better. With gimbaled weapons, a gamepad will also do, although you lose the ability to map everything as easily as on the keyboard or the better HOTAS.

Hmm I see, I don't have much issue with the default layout and can fly comfortable with FA, even turning it off doesn't cause much problem in itself, I can still handle up-down-left-right and forward and back with ease, I only start to lose control without FA if I use the mouse to roll and pitch, for some reason I can hardly counter-balance myself and start to spin out of control. When I tried Star Citizen briefly I didn't have that problem with G-SAFE off and thrusters decoupled which I heard uses a similar flight-model to FA off so I wonder if it's a mapping-issue I have, I don't remember the mapping in Star Citizen anymore.

On another note I finally got my Imperial Courier and holy is she a beauty, I love the design! :D My only issue are the two main-hardpoints, who decided it was a good idea to put them on the nacelle-tips? :( Other than that I will now grind towards the Clipper and get used to planetary landings.

Woorloog

Banned
So, i got the game for Xbox One. The deluxe edition, to get Horizon season pass too.
The thing is, the Commander Pack doesn't seem to be working. I mean, it is supposed to have skins for Sidewinders, which is a starting ship... yet they aren't available under livery.
I did download all the, uh, files for the game (once i figured the game didn't do that automatically). Is the game just slow to register their existence?
Some searching yields similar issues but no solutions... so, anyone here know what to do?

owlbeak

So are the alien sightings happening in a particular area or just random? I'm currently at Obsidian Orbital in the Pleiades.

Personally, I found rolling on the mouse terrible. Try mapping yaw instead on roll to the mouse and put roll on "A" and "D". It helped me, maybe you're comfortable with it as well.

For a good m+k mapping, look at that video.

Hmm looking at the default mappings for SC they have it exactly like that so that might be what throws me off and thanks for the link too, I'll try and see how it goes :)

Effect

Finally got to see the ship first hand. Went out to HIP 17403, A4A, at co-ordinates -34 (closer to -35) -141.4000 and got the UA. This was after spending an hour just jumping around the area. Once in the cargo hold, after two jumps I got pulled out. Will post some of my images later.

What do you do with the Unknown Artefact though afterward? It's illegal cargo. Can it be sold anywhere?

Edit:

Nevermind. Found out I could destroy it to get the fragments for an engineer.

So I stumbled across my first unknown artefact.

What do I do with this thing?

Jump around systems out near Maia until you encounter the unknown alien ship. :)

Edit 2:

I also bought my first paint pack for a ship. Ended up back in the Python after messing with the Gunship for a few days. Keep coming back to it. :( I like it more with the different colors though. Bought the tactical paint pack. Don't have pictures of the other colors yet.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Spent like 6 hours just screwing around with friends in conflict zones in a wing over by 17 draconis, I forgot how fun it was to do wing combat. Calling targets, asking for help, deciding to bail out because we realize we're out of ammo...good times.

It makes me wish this game had more varied / more incentives to do group content because what's there is just such a blast.

Nevermind. Found out I could destroy it to get the fragments for an engineer.

I ended up just giving mine away to people looking for them at Maia :p

Effect

So leaving the area and heading back to Rhea I got pulled again. Was a nice surprise. Got more scans.

I have to say though the alien alien crash site in HIP 17403 on A 4 A is super damn creepy. The constant scanning of your ship until you land, the music, and the sounds the crash site are making. That thing has to be alive. No way the artefacts themselves are the cause of all that noise.....I wanted to get in and out but it took me a while to find the artefact so I was there longer then I wanted to be. I have a hard time with sustained horror moments and that felt like one of them to me. The sound design in this game is to damn good and I got hit by a lot of it tonight.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah that crash site was super unsettling, the approach to it is the worst. Wind howling, dust flying everywhere and wrecked ships with debris all around.

Spent like 6 hours just screwing around with friends in conflict zones in a wing over by 17 draconis, I forgot how fun it was to do wing combat. Calling targets, asking for help, deciding to bail out because we realize we're out of ammo...good times.
It makes me wish this game had more varied / more incentives to do group content because what's there is just such a blast.

they seem to have a major problem with their content pipeline at the moment. adding new missions and mission types sounded fucking way too complicated and time consuming when Ed had the mission people on a stream some time ago.. maybe before christmas. it's too bad. to do with the way they generate the content and distributes it or whatever. like with the sothis mission changes having a knock-on effect on all the delivery missions. will be a while still before we get any wing missions, makes me sad.

not that I can even play the game in a wing, since I get even more frequent transaction/matchmaking crashes in a wing than I do normally. and I've pretty much ragequit out of the game since november because of all the disconnects. lol

BizzyBum

I just ordered this. I'm a complete noob to both ED and HOTAS so this should be interesting. I'll be playing with the Oculus, can you post your bindings?

Top Bottom