• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I just ordered this. I'm a complete noob to both ED and HOTAS so this should be interesting. I'll be playing with the Oculus, can you post your bindings?

Well while I'm not sure if there is a way to export your keybinds i'll just list them off by button on each of the two components

Here is a visual aid to follow along http://i.imgur.com/yXgyPix.jpg

On the Throttle:
The throttle itself is set to forward only action meaning all the way back is 0 and all the way forward is 100%. This works great since it has a notch in the middle for 50% for max maneuverability in combat.

The rudder paddle on the back is used for reverse thrust / forward thrust. Jamming down on the left side gives you full reverse thrust, while jamming on the right gives you full forward thrust. Great for minor adjustments while landing (set throttle to 0 and just use the paddle) or for slowing the hell down by jamming reverse thrust.

The rudder paddle is also set to switch between tabs on the UI panels.

8: Modifier key (does nothing on its own)
11 (labeled SE on the unit): deploy Landing Gear
12 (labeled ST on the unit): deploy Hard points

8+11: Lights
8+12: Cargo Scoop - these two keybinds are basically pressed with two hands but they're ones that you're basically only going to be using in the safest of situations so it doesn't really matter, I briefly toyed with the idea of doing 11+12 to enable cargo scoop but I never checked to see if the binding would register even though I think it should. Feel free to find something more comfortable for these, they're basically just throw aways, hell on the keyboard it's like the L key and Home lol really not that urgent to hit in a pinch.

5: Boost
8+5: Silent running
6: Nothing (i use it as my push to talk) if you want to put shield cell banks on here this is a good spot, I normally put them in a fire group and use them that way because the game doesn't notify you how many charges you have left on the UI like it does with chaff and heat sinks otherwise.
7: UI focus modifier (this plus the directional hat on the joystick selects which nav panels to select)
8+7: Heat Sink
9: Flight Assist off (hold not toggle)
8+9: Supercruise
10: Head look toggle (I bound the directional hat on the joystick to control your head but since you are in VR you don't need to worry about this)
8+10: Hyper jump

Joystick:
Obviously you've got Pitch and Roll on the stick's Y and X axis and Yaw on the stick twist
Trigger: Primary Fire and UI select
2: Secondary Fire and UI back
8+2: Chaff launcher
3: Next weapon fire group (this is the little flick switch to the right of the trigger)
8+3: Target highest threat
4: Target ahead
8+4: Cycle next target

Directional Hat:
This one does a lot of different stuff, it's primarily for UI navigation but also when you toggle headlook mode it moves your camera around your cockpit, handy in a pinch but obviously inferior to a real head tracking solution or VR.

It also is my lateral thrust control while in flight
Up is vertical thrust up
Down is vertical thrust down
Left is lateral thrust left
Right is lateral thrust left

When holding down 8 it manages your power distribution to systems.
8+left: divert power to systems
8+up: divert power to engines
8+right: divert power to weapons
8+down: balance all power

When holding down 7 for UI focus it selects your menu panes
7+left: Navigation
7+up: Chat / Wing
7+right: Systems
7+down: SRV / Fighter options

Things that aren't bound:
Maps - I find it easier to just go to the left side navigation panel and just open the map from there, I don't need it unless I"m plotting a route so a quick access keybind isn't particularly crucial to me, you can always just put them on the keyboard.

Shield Cell Banks: I gave reasons above, you can bind them if you wish it's really not a bad idea I'm just weird.

Extra targeting functions: I would love to have a cycle next hostile binding but there is just no real room where I could fit it in a place where I would actually hit it in combat, so I stay content with a general cycle next target and target highest threat, for anything else I use the contacts tab in the nav pane. I would also love a cycle subsystems button but for now I just use the subsystems tab in the nav pane.

Galactic map functions: I have a really rough set of keybinds that I toy around with when opening the galactic map but since you're going to end up using the keyboard to type I find it's just better to use the mouse and WASD for this. Way more precise.

Bunch of random misc functions you can do from the actual in game panels like dumping cargo aren't bound and neither are any wing functions because I do them from the wing menu. Though it would be nice to get a binding for some wing functions but alas they cannot be fit. Maybe for the next upgrade!

So yeah that about covers it, if you get horizons you can basically translate most of the bindings from the ship into the SRV controls lol. It also goes without saying that if you disagree with anything or figure it's uncomfortable then feel free to readjust to your liking, a lot of people will probably find my bindings for supercruise and hyper drive uncomfortable lol. Hopefully this should give you a good idea as to what is worth binding and how to go about doing it.

I hope this is useful and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

How popular is this game these days? Is there still a decent player base?

That's a good question. I don't think they've ever really given MAU figures. It still has a playerbase, but let's just say it's not exactly massive, or at least that's a guess by how many people come and go on their forums. Your best bet at actually interacting with people on a large scale is to join a player made event like the Distant Worlds expedition.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Just treated myself to VoiceAttack & the ASTRA voice pack.

OMG, geek heaven, I just have to train it a bit more and set-up my mic a little better to stop a few spurious commands firing and I'm all good for HOTAS & Voice control only.

I really really am going to have to resist the temptaion to adding Holly from Red Dwarf. :D

Agremont

It finally happened. Took a couple of hours or so with an UA in the hold.

Z9MdquE.jpg
MRhs9YN.jpg

So, i got the game for Xbox One. The deluxe edition, to get Horizon season pass too.
The thing is, the Commander Pack doesn't seem to be working. I mean, it is supposed to have skins for Sidewinders, which is a starting ship... yet they aren't available under livery.
I did download all the, uh, files for the game (once i figured the game didn't do that automatically). Is the game just slow to register their existence?
Some searching yields similar issues but no solutions... so, anyone here know what to do?

I have this issue too. Unfortunately I have no idea how to solve it. (I haven't really tried yet though).

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I finally put together my stealth DBS

http://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/outfit...f262323020202022929296e.Iw1/kA==.EwBj5BGbqjiA.

This thing has a higher dps than my unmodded FdL at baseline because I'm using all fixed on it. Time to git gud because fixed weapons are the future!

I put an inderdictor in the class 2 optional slot but honestly I am not sure what I wanna put there yet. I'm torn between that, a scoop (nah thanks to ship transfers), another hull package, or like an AFMU since I have enough left over power for it.

Edit: It's a super fun ship but any AI enemies with fixed weapons suddenly become gods and can track you like if they were able to get a full lock on solution on you.

Volimar

Is it worth buying a Beluga? I have and Anaconda or an Asp with engineered FSDs if the luxury cabins aren't worth the effort.

You can get along fine without luxury cabins. The Conda should be more than fine for stacking passengers and the aspX for if you're looking for the high paying passenger missions thousands of light years out.

If I liked Eve Online but could not afford to keep monthly payments up is this a good alternative?

also I only have a MacBook Pro no joystick can I still play without a stick?

~Cross~

If I liked Eve Online but could not afford to keep monthly payments up is this a good alternative?

also I only have a MacBook Pro no joystick can I still play without a stick?

What did you like about EVE?

If you like making deliveries, mining and the combat then you'll find Elite to be a much better alternative. If you like the player politics, pvp, and fully run player economy, then no. Elite would be a very poor substitute.

Is there a fastest way to make money? I get bored of being stuck with the same ships but I'm not willing to throw down the time for 10 journeys the center.

Smuggling and trading can be quiiiite lucrative.

Hmmm, maybe I should go back to trading then. It was a bit of a slow grind when I was first doing it at launch and when they introduced passenger missions the heavy pay off was attractive. It seems to take so long to actually do those mission though that money is actually coming in very slowly.

I'm at about 30 million with a ship worth quite a pretty penny too but I'm hoping to get into the larger ships. Would my best bet be to sell my ships and buy the biggest Lakon I can afford and fill it with storage and a huge jump drive then? Is there a particular commodity that is selling well nowadays or should I just use the trade locator for a good route?

What did you like about EVE?

If you like making deliveries, mining and the combat then you'll find Elite to be a much better alternative. If you like the player politics, pvp, and fully run player economy, then no. Elite would be a very poor substitute.

yeah that sounds good

I don't really like PVP or combat all that much I just want to see growth get more money get better ships explore

deliveries are fine if that is what it takes to progress

so do I have to purchase the full $60 pack or the base game?

edit: is Solo mode still in?

///PATRIOT

Banned
I just got the game, the alien encounter made me jump in :)
Would like to hear pro tips and resources, I don't know how to begin.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
This diamond back scout is a fucking beast! It's a giant killer, condas, vettes and cutters are my main dish but ironically ship launched fighters give me the most trouble. I can't wait until module reinforcement packaging is in the game because the biggest issue I have is my power plant getting gutted or my multi cannons malfunctioning from too much damage.

Silent running builds definitely feel like they'd be better vs players but they work decently well against AI, the AI just seems to "cheat" a bit too much when it comes to silent running, like they can track you no problem and land their PA's like they were fucking gimbled lol.

But this silent running DBS is easily the most fun I've had flying a ship since I bought my courier originally. dumb fire missiles are so satisfying, and they delete enemy hull so fast, I was in the conflict zone in 17 draconis and I was doing about 9% damage on a direct hit to the vettes out there.

The set up is so gimmicky and high risk it's amazing. I would like better small multi's so I"m probably gonna have to power play to get the enforcers and it'd be nice to get the FSD interrupting missiles for PVP but jeez this is so fun!

Seriously, I cannot get over how fun this is.

Plus if you die you only lose 300k at a time which is like nothing.

owlbeak

This diamond back scout is a fucking beast! It's a giant killer, condas, vettes and cutters are my main dish but ironically ship launched fighters give me the most trouble. I can't wait until module reinforcement packaging is in the game because the biggest issue I have is my power plant getting gutted or my multi cannons malfunctioning from too much damage.

Silent running builds definitely feel like they'd be better vs players but they work decently well against AI, the AI just seems to "cheat" a bit too much when it comes to silent running, like they can track you no problem and land their PA's like they were fucking gimbled lol.

But this silent running DBS is easily the most fun I've had flying a ship since I bought my courier originally. dumb fire missiles are so satisfying, and they delete enemy hull so fast, I was in the conflict zone in 17 draconis and I was doing about 9% damage on a direct hit to the vettes out there.

The set up is so gimmicky and high risk it's amazing. I would like better small multi's so I"m probably gonna have to power play to get the enforcers and it'd be nice to get the FSD interrupting missiles for PVP but jeez this is so fun!

Seriously, I cannot get over how fun this is.

Plus if you die you only lose 300k at a time which is like nothing.
What's your setup? I run a DB Explorer & Vulture but have been interested in picking up a Scout for some variety when I am sick of my Vulture! Silent running build sounds fun!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What's your setup? I run a DB Explorer & Vulture but have been interested in picking up a Scout for some variety when I am sick of my Vulture! Silent running build sounds fun!

http://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/outfit...f262323020202022929296e.Iw1/kA==.EwBj5BGbqjiA

Using all fixed multis and 1 medium dumb fire missile rack (sooo much damage), I use class A life support and sensors because well i've had my canopy shatter on me more than once due to a random direct blow so I like having 25 min to get back to a station / to finish off the fight. The sensors are class A because they don't slow me down by much like I think the difference is 413 vs 412 top end and having the ability to spot them long before they can spot me has a great advantage when picking an angle of attack.

I don't run a scoop on it thanks to ship transfer, I use my keelback to move to a location and shuttle it over hehe.

Gonna try out power play in this thing real soon because I want those enforcers to replace the small MCs.

FunkyMonk

I'm just getting back into the game after a year or so away, heck Engineers weren't in the game last time I properly played it & we were still working towards the Maia station CGs. I like that you can check on all the available Community Goals from any station and there seems to be quite a bit more to do, I'm gonna make a good few mil near Balones before trying the whole Planetary landing malarkey

Is there a fastest way to make money? I get bored of being stuck with the same ships but I'm not willing to throw down the time for 10 journeys the center.

CGs can net you quite a bit, though the current choices are transporting stuff to Colonia, a few thousand light years away from the main bubble, and mining for Balones. You could always trade for a bit and wait for the next CG if you can't afford a decent Mining suite (Prospector Limpet control, Collector Limpet Control, Refinery and Mining lasers).

Link for future reference: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php/176-Community-Goal-Discussions

Edit 2: Cmdr SirPsycho, if you see me say hi!

The best protip anybody can give you is to do all the tutorials first. This game has a strict learning curve but once you get the hang of the controls it opens up immensely. Just be patient and keep at it. Stay in the Sidewinder until you have the controls down. Above all just have fun and play the game your way. I'm on Xbox if you need a wing. GT: YOUGONLEARN2DAY

Woorloog

Banned
Making money early on is annoying. Without upgraded FSD, one has very limited amount of systems to visit, and because of that, many missions are off limits.
Trading is possible, of course, though 2-ton cargo hold kinda limits that. Re-configuring the ship? Sure, why not, just need some money...

Fortunately i found some Nerve Agents left lying around while driving around a planet. Not that 14k is much really. Wish i had found two...

Oh, and i've gotten interdicted twice though i escaped both times. Do NPCs interdict players occasionally or were they players?

The best protip anybody can give you is to do all the tutorials first. This game has a strict learning curve but once you get the hang of the controls it opens up immensely. Just be patient and keep at it. Stay in the Sidewinder until you have the controls down. Above all just have fun and play the game your way. I'm on Xbox if you need a wing. GT: YOUGONLEARN2DAY
I couldn't finish the advanced combat tutorial. I can just about beat the first attacker but the two follow-ups appear way too soon, i've got no chance against them.
Ironically the challenge scenarios are far easier...

Oh, and since i play on Xbone, GT is Empyrus in case someone wants to fly with me someday.

Early game, I found bounty hunting to be the easiest way. Just go to a RES or nav beacon, tag some dudes and let the security do the rest. That’s pretty much what I did early game until I could afford to get some better things.

Also I hate being out here in Colonia, but I don’t want to go back to the bubble either. Welp.

Jedi2016

Well, ain't that some shit. After hundreds (and hundreds) of jumps, probably a few million in exploration data (I swear I've mapped the entire Pleiades sector three times over), I get interdicted by some NPC pirates for cargo that I don't have, and blown out of the sky in about four seconds. Thanks for that.

Well, ain't that some shit. After hundreds (and hundreds) of jumps, probably a few million in exploration data (I swear I've mapped the entire Pleiades sector three times over), I get interdicted by some NPC pirates for cargo that I don't have, and blown out of the sky in about four seconds. Thanks for that.

I would have Alt-F4. Fuck the AI.
Don't ban me FD.

PLaying on PC? You might want to switch spin (default mouse movement right left) with Yaw (default on the A and D keys).

When I started playing a year ago I was just spinning around in circles during the tutorial.
Spin on the A and D keys is perfect for me (you need it often but not all the time) while yaw on left/right mouse movement doesn't screw up your shots by accident is good enough for slight left/right adjustments for movement (particularly flying through the mail slots) and aiming.

You'll need to rely on spin/rolling to stay behind and track targets however, like a fighter plane.

Also five other, VERY important tips:
1) If you are not scooping up stuff flying around in space, ALWAYS manually disable the power for the cargo hatch. Outside of scooping you never need it (yes, not even for selling stuff on stations) and it frees up quite a decent chunk of the maximum power limit so you can use it for better/more weapons/shields/weapons etc.
2) Even if you buy a new ship with barely any money left for upgrades, always get the Power Distributor (and if you can the power plant) to A grade (equipment rating: A is best, E/F is the worst. D is unique in always being the lightest (so many people that want to save and optimize weight (very important for fighter ships) only upgrade life support and sensors to D because they are very situational) and B is relatively cheap and good compared to A but as a compromise usually has twice the weight, bad for light/fast builds and jump range). Power Distributor is the most important part of your ships and is responsible for 70% of your ship's performance in ALL aspects...
3) ...Thanks to the manual power distribution with the arrow keys on your keyboard. Always distribute power as you need it, especially in combat. Most important to know: 4 pips/bars to shields DOUBLES their effectiveness/shield strength (while with 0 pips your shields don't even recharge), so always do that when you take fire or are running away, especially on ships with strong shields like the Imperial Courier (super fun, extremely agile and tanky fighter, can recommend). Good power management is the most important key factor in being good in combat together with movement/how you control your ship. Meanwhile if you are just flying around always put max power on your engines.
4) Learn how to use Flight Assist Off (especially good just to turn your ship around faster than normal) and map it to a key you can easily reach with your left hand (e.g. Z or X key). Even if you just want to turn faster it is extremely helpful and if you don't use it in big ships small figthers will be on your 6 indefinitely.
5) If you want to fight or get attacked often, get a chaff launcher for your ship, helps massively against anyone using gimballed/self aiming weapons (which is most NPCs/players). If you want to bounty hunt, a kill warrant scanner is a must (take a lighter one with 2 or 2.5 km range, those things are heavy and power drains). If you take search and destroy/kill named target X missions you will need a FSD interdictor and intercept them while cruising around in the target system (same for hunting any target/players).
6) Play on Open or you will eventually go crazy if all you ever see is NPCs for weeks instead of the odd real human being.

Early game, I found bounty hunting to be the easiest way. Just go to a RES or nav beacon, tag some dudes and let the security do the rest. That's pretty much what I did early game until I could afford to get some better things.
Yep, if you do this you will be sitting in an Eagle/Viper within 3-4 hours (your goal should be to get a Viper MK3 if you want to do fighting, a Cobra Mk3 for everything else). Use a kill warrant scanner and rake in the cash. Nothing I would do excessively for weeks, but the fastest way to get you kickstarted and give you the basic experience and knowledge of combat you need. As long as you hit a wanted target while it has less than 20% health left you get the full bounty payout (only exception being another player shooting at it too, then it gets shared, but unless you wing up with a buddy that will rarely ever happen).

Havoc2049

Find a system in civil war and stack combat, data delivery and commodity delivery missions. Keep spamming the missions and get your rep up and more lucrative missions will come in. Do it in a system you are aligned with and money and rank will start to roll in.

oakenhild

Yep, if you do this you will be sitting in an Eagle/Viper within 3-4 hours (your goal should be to get a Viper MK3 if you want to do fighting, a Cobra Mk3 for everything else). Use a kill warrant scanner and rake in the cash. Nothing I would do excessively for weeks, but the fastest way to get you kickstarted and give you the basic experience and knowledge of combat you need. As long as you hit a wanted target while it has less than 20% health left you get the full bounty payout (only exception being another player shooting at it too, then it gets shared, but unless you wing up with a buddy that will rarely ever happen).

This is what I did. Started out with bounty hunting, and then upgraded to a Cobra Mk3. Traded for a bit, then bought a Viper Mk3. Now I can switch back and forth between missions/passengers with the Cobra, and bounty hunting with the Viper. Works pretty well. Have about 21 hours played and about 5 million in assets.

Originally played in VR with a gamepad, but just got a T.Flight Hotas X. Took a while to get used to it, but I'm cruising along now.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
My favorite thing about the stealth DBS is making the return trip after a sortie. Because your ship is basically falling to pieces.

No ammo
Multiple modules either flat out failing or totally fried
Canopy shattered
Ship hull in some state between 15% and 50%
FSD barely started up in order to get you out
No usable heat sinks left, the 2 that remain can't be used because your power plant is shot
Power distributor is doing something weird

and finally, because your canopy is gone you're navigating using a tiny shard of glass at the top of what's left of your canopy.

Basically like this

But hey at least you're alive and your ship has a full tank of gas!

I had a similar situation recently but it was an FDL. I was doing fine but then my shields were stripped down by a wing of 2 asps and an anaconda. I took out the anaconda and one asp but the asps had missiles and they ended up damaged all my weapons. The final asp was low health no shields so I decided to ram it to finish it off. My hull was left at 3 percent, though I did destroy it. I limped back. I didn't expect the ram to hurt so much but I guess it could have been worse.

DrBo42

I don't get the ramming calculations at all. Sometimes it barely scratches my ship, sometimes I'm 40 percent down.

Obviously pips to shields matters most of all but I feel like it's also a calculation of material, angle and speed. If it's ship vs ship it seems like a combination of mass and armor value.

Obviously pips to shields matters most of all but I feel like it's also a calculation of material, angle and speed. If it's ship vs ship it seems like a combination of mass and armor value.
even shieldless it does not make sense all the time. To me at least :D Hitting a shieldless Cobra with a FAS with extra hull reinforcements should never end up higher in own damage than hitting an Anaconda.

Samus4145

Finally started to get back in the game for the first time since Horizons came out. I feel lost. I enjoyed bounty hunting before in my Viper, but whatever system I'm currently in has too high of level targets. Even going to resource fields I get destroyed in seconds. Is there set systems for easier targets? My rating is only "Mostly Harmless" right now, so I need some easy prey to get into the swing of things.

Top Bottom