• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

DrBo42

even shieldless it does not make sense all the time. To me at least :D Hitting a shieldless Cobra with a FAS with extra hull reinforcements should never end up higher in own damage than hitting an Anaconda.

Cobra MK IIIs are fucked up. It's the tankiest ship I've ever fought with a Corvette.

Well I finally got a new ship. The Orca... is freaking awful. It's not fully upgraded but I can't see a way this thing will ever have the jump drive range to make it worthwhile as a passenger ship, or anything for that matter. Perhaps if I could afford a better power plant too, but with a 5B drive it's only barely capable of over 10ly. Yes, I'm flying a 48 million ship without the insurance money. To ramp it up I'm also carrying illegal passengers and have a reasonable bounty on my head still. I like to live dangerous! For real though I may dump the passenger and sell this thing before I get torn up.

Anyway these missions seem to be my thing since they sometimes bring you to cool POI's like earlier I had a trip to Canis Majoris, that you just don't get with trading. What would be my best ship to do this with when I have 48 million to play with? I really wanted to switch things up, but I can't help but feel the Explorer is going to be the go to (again) until I have Anaconda money, or at least a Python.

FYI my main requirements are room for a couple semi decent passenger bays and the biggest jump range I can get.

I just got the game, the alien encounter made me jump in :)
Would like to hear pro tips and resources, I don't know how to begin.

Do the basic training modes.

Spend some time getting familiar with the flight controls.

Try to undock and leave a station.

Try to dock again.

I feel like that's enough to start. After you get semi-comfortable docking and undocking, pick some things from the local bulletin board (missions) if they interest you and go do them.

Your core goal is to get out of a Sidewinder and into anything else. Eagle, Hauler, or Adder.

Be patient and take your time. You'll be learning things a hundred hours from now. There's no rush; enjoy yourself, the scenery and make money at your own pace.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I was helping a friend find a new ship, he wanted to do some hauling but also wanted to be able to handle some bounty hunting and maybe even join me and my other friends in 17 draconis CZs.

So I figured he needed something with a good bit of internals, for possible cargo space and stuff. He only had 5mil so I looked at ships in that range.

I figured the asp scout might actually be for him...but then I remembered that the cobra mk3 exists.

AND OF COURSE THE COBRA MK3 OFFERS BASICALLY THE EXACT SAME VERSATILITY AS THE SCOUT FOR A THIRD OF THE PRICE!

There is no reason to ever own an asp scout, I hate that it's in the game. All it offers is like 12t more of cargo capacity and a wee bit more range.

Volimar

I was helping a friend find a new ship, he wanted to do some hauling but also wanted to be able to handle some bounty hunting and maybe even join me and my other friends in 17 draconis CZs.

So I figured he needed something with a good bit of internals, for possible cargo space and stuff. He only had 5mil so I looked at ships in that range.

I figured the asp scout might actually be for him...but then I remembered that the cobra mk3 exists.

AND OF COURSE THE COBRA MK3 OFFERS BASICALLY THE EXACT SAME VERSATILITY AS THE SCOUT FOR A THIRD OF THE PRICE!

There is no reason to ever own an asp scout, I hate that it's in the game. All it offers is like 12t more of cargo capacity and a wee bit more range.

There's no such thing as an Asp Scout. The Asp Explorer is the only true Asp vessel. Also, the Cobra is a good stepping stone ship so kudos.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
There's no such thing as an Asp Scout. The Asp Explorer is the only true Asp vessel. Also, the Cobra is a good stepping stone ship so kudos.

Lmfao yeah honestly it might as well not exist, when NPCs spawn in one it's just a bug right?

Also seriously

http://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/outfit...df4272724240004B3352b272727.Iw1/kA==.MwBj4yKA

If you only have 5mil then 3.1mil for this is not bad at all for combat and you can refit it for a whole bunch of other things.

This is a similarly outfit asp scout

http://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/outfit...isif4272724240004B335292927.Iw19kA==.IwBj4zRI.

Twice the price, only a little more shields, 4 more ly in jump range and IT'S SLOW AS HELLLLLL

Jedi2016

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of adding a bunch of low-end ships that are worthless to anyone except brand new players. The Scout's a good example, because I had already had my Asp Explorer for a while by the time the Scout came out. And yeah, I upgraded to the Explorer from a Cobra. :)

Need some more of those high-end ships, give us something that Anaconda and Cutter owners can upgrade to.

Volimar

I went Winder > Cobra > AspX > Conda

It went by kind of fast because of those outrageously good CG payouts that one time. The AspX is still my favorite ship though. Love exploring in it.

Anyone else get a kick out of watching your ship land when you recall it on a planet's surface?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I went, Sidewinder > Eagle > viper 3 > Imperial Courier > Vulture > AspX > FdL > Keelback > DBS

That's order obtained, I still own a bunch of those ships. I love having a diverse garage, I think I'm gonna grind out for a corvette next.

BizzyBum

Well while I'm not sure if there is a way to export your keybinds i'll just list them off by button on each of the two components

<snip>

Wow, thanks a lot man.

Since I'm using the Oculus I might actually try this Voice Attack program I hear good things about. Would these bindings be redundant if I set up Voice Attack?

SmartBase

Seeing as I have too much time on my hands I'm wondering, does Frontier actually read or otherwise acknowledge stuff in the suggestions/ideas forum? I'm putting together a few Galnet mockups but I'm questioning whether or not I'm just wasting my time.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Wow, thanks a lot man.

Since I'm using the Oculus I might actually try this Voice Attack program I hear good things about. Would these bindings be redundant if I set up Voice Attack?

I'm sure some might but not at all, I'd recommend experimenting and seeing what you feel might be better on a button press and what might be better on a voice command.

Stuff like "Open system map" and "Open galaxy map" would probably work wonderfully on voice attack. Even non combat actions like cargo scoop, lights and landing gear possibly. I would never trust voice attack with things like defensive counter measures like chaff, heat sinks, or shield cells or any targeting functions unless I could get it to do something like say "target subsystem power plant" and have that happen.

I was gonna say you could maybe put supercruiser and hyper jump on voice attack but I do use those a lot to escape nasty situations and when your FSD malfunctions in a bad situation it's a lot safer and easier to just jam a button to engage jump than it is to say a voice command and hope it recognizes it 10 times.

I just ordered this. I'm a complete noob to both ED and HOTAS so this should be interesting. I'll be playing with the Oculus, can you post your bindings?

I'm going to be honest: you're going to have to take a break from your Oculus for a good period of time until you familiarize yourself fully with your HOTAS. Expect to need a good week before you feel confident that you can find everything you need blind in pressure situations.

After that you'll be fine.

Wow, thanks a lot man.

Strongest recommendation here is to learn your HOTAS first. worry about something like voice attack far down the road. you don't want to be put in a bad position because voice attack is fucking up while someone is bearing down on your ass. voice attack by nature will always be slower than pressing the corresponding buttons on the HOTAs.

BizzyBum

I'm sure some might but not at all, I'd recommend experimenting and seeing what you feel might be better on a button press and what might be better on a voice command.

Stuff like "Open system map" and "Open galaxy map" would probably work wonderfully on voice attack. Even non combat actions like cargo scoop, lights and landing gear possibly. I would never trust voice attack with things like defensive counter measures like chaff, heat sinks, or shield cells or any targeting functions unless I could get it to do something like say "target subsystem power plant" and have that happen.

I was gonna say you could maybe put supercruiser and hyper jump on voice attack but I do use those a lot to escape nasty situations and when your FSD malfunctions in a bad situation it's a lot safer and easier to just jam a button to engage jump than it is to say a voice command and hope it recognizes it 10 times.

Yeah, at the start it would probably just be for stuff like opening menus and whatnot just to be a bit more immersive. Anything combat or flying related I wouldn't do right away, if at all.

I'm going to be honest: you're going to have to take a break from your Oculus for a good period of time until you familiarize yourself fully with your HOTAS. Expect to need a good week before you feel confident that you can find everything you need blind in pressure situations.

After that you'll be fine.

True, good call. I'm weird and usually play flight games where up goes up and down goes down, should I just leave it on default for the HOTAS and just get used to it?

Strongest recommendation here is to learn your HOTAS first. worry about something like voice attack far down the road. you don't want to be put in a bad position because voice attack is fucking up while someone is bearing down on your ass. voice attack by nature will always be slower than pressing the corresponding buttons on the HOTAs.

Yeah, like Not Spaceghost said I'll probably just use it for stuff that's not super important at the start. It'll be cool just to open up the galaxy map with a voice command.

I went, Sidewinder > Eagle > viper 3 > Imperial Courier > Vulture > AspX > FdL > Keelback > DBS

That's order obtained, I still own a bunch of those ships. I love having a diverse garage, I think I'm gonna grind out for a corvette next.

I went Sidewinder>Eagle>Cobra>AspX.

I have over 200 million now and I'm still just flying around my AspX, lol. I just love it too much. Such a good ship.

Hylian7

I played for the first time in a few months today: man, all the little changes they have built up since Engineers are nice. The new shop, module storage, ship delivery, fighters, crew, everything. I semi-outfitted my Anaconda for combat and took it to Pleiades to see if I could encounter the Thargoids first hand.

I really should get back into Elite. They have improved a ton of stuff in it since I last played it regularly.

I'm curious what the consensus is in here on fighters and crew. Higher rank or lower rank crew? Are the Expert crew still fairly useless like a lot of the Expert AI are. Do fighters really contribute that much other than flying out and dying as soon as a ship looks at them?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm not familiar with Elite's universe and such, but kind of keen to jump in after seeing the Alien encounter: is there cool lore and characters/locations in the universe to explore, is it SP only or are there some PvP elements?

Thanks EliteGAF :)

Burny

I'm not familiar with Elite's universe and such, but kind of keen to jump in after seeing the Alien encounter: is there cool lore and characters/locations in the universe to explore, is it SP only or are there some PvP elements?

Depends on whether you play in "Solo" or "Open" mode. Both are in essence the same and require an internet connection, only in Open you may be matched into an instance of your current environment with other players.

PvP is however also "open", so there's nothing (effectively) stopping a player with their 500 hour murder boat from ganking noobs in starter ships with paper armor.

Haven't played this game since before Horizons even launched. Bought it back in the beta. Pleasantly surprised I got Horizons for free because of that.

Exchanged my hauler for a Cobra MkIII yesterday. Cool looking ship, now to save up for some upgrades. I'm taking it pretty slow, just flying around doing a few delivery missions and trading.

I do need to learn the combat sometime. I just submit now, then quickly wait for my drive to cool off and speed away again.

Adnor

Banned
So I got this game a few days ago, and while playing with KB/M is decent I really want to play with a joystick for nostalgia sake.

Now, HOTAS are stupidly expensive here in Chile if you want anything decent, but there are a few cheaper joysticks.

How would this work for the game?

1zmpk0r.png

(Thrustmaster Joystick USB Plug and Play, 3 axis, 4 buttons and 1 trigger)

There's also the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro that's on the OP, but it's a little more expensive.

EDIT:

There is also this one

42y1UWV.png

(Thrustmaster Joystick T.Flight Stick X) At the same price than the Logitech one.

Effect

Even this one?

Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X which is like the cheapeast and best HOTAS for it's price

I think whenever this is recommended the size of it has to be mentioned. Now I assume this is the case with all hotas but seeing as this is likely to be someone's first they should know this thing is big. Both pieces take up a lot of space on the desk, push the keyboard into an awkward position (you'll still have to use this) and one should be prepared for that. Also it's going to be physically uncomfortable if you don't have a high enough chair (or low enough desk) that lets you sit a bit higher then normal in relation to the desk to account for the hotas setup and the position your arms will be in for a significant amount of time.

This is largely the reason why I ended up returning mine. I picked up the Hotas 4 version of this setup and they were the same size. I'd love to find a setup that is smaller all around

Ediit: Ouch at that price Adnor.

Serrato

I admit a HOTAS is a big peripheral but it helps so much for games like Elite or StarCitizen in the long run if you want to invest in such games.

Indeed, you need to take in account of how big they are compared to your gaming space capacity.

I played for the first time in a few months today: man, all the little changes they have built up since Engineers are nice. The new shop, module storage, ship delivery, fighters, crew, everything. I semi-outfitted my Anaconda for combat and took it to Pleiades to see if I could encounter the Thargoids first hand.

I really should get back into Elite. They have improved a ton of stuff in it since I last played it regularly.

I'm curious what the consensus is in here on fighters and crew. Higher rank or lower rank crew? Are the Expert crew still fairly useless like a lot of the Expert AI are. Do fighters really contribute that much other than flying out and dying as soon as a ship looks at them?

Haven't been playing the game since march, can't wait to jump in again and see what's new. Got a fully equipped Courier (my one and true love) and about 10 mil in liquid assets and want to take it slow when I get back into the game, think I'll gun for a Keelback. Can do transport missions in it, can do mining and most importantly can try out ship launched fighters. Can also mount a scoop and vehicle hangar for surface cruising (now that I finally bought Horizons) too. I also have a love for under-appreciated and under-used (cough, *misunderstood) ships and like trying to make them work by playing them to their strengths and biting people in the butt for underestimating them if they interdict me (loved the Viper MK4 hull tank for that reason). Don't want to commit fully to space trucking (like combat too much) so the Keelback is probably my only venture into cargo boats. That and an Imperial Eagle, the Courier gave me a desire for all things Gutamaya.

Really itching to see all the new features and the improved combat AI ^_^...

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I feel like the enemy AI pilot algorithm has become weird. It feels practically guaranteed that any viper 3 or 4 that spawns rated higher than master is going to be kitted out with dual PAs.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Or railguns, have seen those a lot in CZs lately.

Yeah railguns and PA's on small ships seem to be the norm now for AI. It's super frustrating lol since they can basically hit their shots with the accuracy of gimbaled weapons.

And it doesn't matter if I'm silent running either, they always know where I am D:

Kaji AF16

I am among those impressed by last week`s events, so I installed the Xbox One trial and completed some training missions again, after a long time since first testing the game (which was in a less complete state by then).

I found it to be much more sophisticated and entertaining than I remembered. Now I regret not getting the Commander Deluxe Edition during New Year`s XBL sales (it was $30). That said, I am longing for some quality space sims, and I think I will eventually get it anyway.

Is that the optimal version to get?
Is it fully playable with a standard / Elite Xbox One controller?
Is the Xbox community active?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Is that the optimal version to get?
Is it fully playable with a standard / Elite Xbox One controller?
Is the Xbox community active?

From what I gather

It's a fine version, runs at 30fps pretty much everywhere and looks nice which is pretty solid.
People don't seem to have too much of an issue with the controller controls, I think it's got enough buttons to map almost every relevant action.

I'm not sure about the community, a few people here seem to play on xbox but I'm pretty sure the game is most active on PC. The game runs on a wide range of systems quite nicely though, I used to play on a laptop with a gt 750m, 8 gigs of ram and a dreadful cpu so if you have a half way decent PC you could go for that.

Effect

Yeah railguns and PA's on small ships seem to be the norm now for AI. It's super frustrating lol since they can basically hit their shots with the accuracy of gimbaled weapons.

And it doesn't matter if I'm silent running either, they always know where I am D:

The overheating system might be disabled for npcs as well I think. They have no problem firing off weapons like that repeatedly as well.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The overheating system might be disabled for npcs as well I think. They have no problem firing off weapons like that repeatedly as well.

Yeah I've noticed this as well, they rain down PA blobs on me like they're firing multicanons. It's funny how NPC viper 4's are scarier than things like an NPC FAS or even corvette.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
So VoiceAttack is great, when the family are out / in bed, not so good when they are around (House is far too noisy)

So I set myself up a new Roccat Power Grid profile, so I can have HOTAS & Phone control, no need for the keyboard at all whilst in flight, I have RPG running on my phone on a firm desktop stand as a touchscreen MFD right between the HOTAS throttle and stick, works nicely.

Have most of my first tab, which will be general flight done, just have to decide what to assign to the 'spare' key/macro at the bottom left, but looking nice so far, next I'll do a tab for combat focused controls. :)

Capture.png

The top row is macros, to put distribute power in one click, as is emergency disengage, the rest are just simple keystrokes.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Wow powerplay is so poorly explained in the in game menus.

If I had known that you didn't have to do any of the expansion garbage and all that stuff and it was literally just

Step 1: Align to a power
Step 2: Locate a system belonging to an enemy power
Step 3: Kill ships aligned to the enemy power in that system for 15 merits a pop
Step 4: Return to a system aligned to your power to turn them in like bounty vouchers
Step 5: Rinse and repeat until you attain the rank you want

I would have started doing this much sooner.

I think I'll join Pranav Antal first for the Enforcer and then Cutie Duval for prismatics, then probably get the FSD scrambler rockets from Yuri and the Pack Hounds from Yui Long-Rui

Caayn

Great, I just got stuck with my SRV near a landing pad on planet base. Resulting in me getting a 500cr fine every 30 seconds for pad loitering, tried logging in and out again but I spawned in the exact same spot. When I finally managed to get out my SRV got blown up before I got the chance to pay. Result: 143K lost to fines :(

Woorloog

Banned
What kind of ship i should work toward to?
Because i kinda want to do anything, anytime, anywhere.
Or, well, trading is of least interest to me but should i find stuff during exploring planets (or end up mining) or so, i figure i'll need some cargo capacity.

Currently just making minor upgrades to the Sidewinder rather than blindly buying a new ship.

vector824

Or, well, trading is of least interest to me but should i find stuff during exploring planets (or end up mining) or so, i figure i'll need some cargo capacity.

Currently just making minor upgrades to the Sidewinder rather than blindly buying a new ship.

I went to a Cobra MKIII after my sidey, then the AspX. From there you can go anywhere.

The Adder is a good jump for trading I hear... or Hauler maybe, and then jump into a MkIII.

Edit: This is handy for messing around with builds. https://coriolis.io/ Go to a Li Yong-Rui system for a discount on ships.

owlbeak

Cobra is a decent and cheap "jack of all trades" ship. Asp is also quite good, but more expensive.

Volimar

All those HOTAS look great but I'm so old fashioned I don't think I could get used to playing on them. VR though...that's something I'd like to experience.

All those HOTAS look great but I'm so old fashioned I don't think I could get used to playing on them...

Don't be so sure. It's almost 30 years since I twatted my first Thargoid. I bought my first ever HOTAS back in September - and I felt comfortable with it within minutes. Admittedly, it will probably take you a bit longer to get the thing configured exactly the way you want it, but that's not dissimilar to making a few brief false starts with an RPG before you find an approach to the game that suits your play-style.

Man the bugs in this still manage to piss me off pretty royally. Just did a passenger mission and upon arriving in the station there's no way to turn it in, despite having completed everything in the mission and this being the last destination. I did another yesterday as well that involved going to VY Canis Majoris to find a beacon that is bugged out, leaving me to scour the forums and quite literally align the stars to find it.

If this sort of crap happened and cost me a big payoff I'd probably be out instantly, but luckily it's only cost me a couple worth a few million so far.

Havoc2049

The Viper Mk IV and Cobra Mk III both have a little bit of cargo space and can fill your needs in the beginning. Hard to find a jack of all trades ship in the beginning. I ran around in an Eagle and a Hauler in the beginning, depending on what kind of missions I felt like doing.

The ASP Explorer is a solid all around ship in the mid-term, but not the best at ship-to-ship combat. The Python is a great all around ship and something to shoot for in the future.

Top Bottom