• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I wasn't picking at you, I meant the devs hate it.

You know, to be fair unlike combat logging which is completely unsporting and not to mention unnecessary since there are two game modes where you're completely unlikely to be killed by players, I think mission stacking through mode switching is indicative of a larger problem with missions spawning, and general tedium in the game. People already have to travel long distances to get places. So you know nothing is worse than traveling for an hour only to have to wait for missions to spawn when you arrive. So why bother with that when you can switch and have them appear?

Plus the FAS has a silly rate of turn for its size. It just locks in on targets and doesn't let go, much like a great big Vulture. The only downside is that you're almost always taking hull damage while fighting.

Yeah the fed ships in general don't really do much in terms of avoiding damage lol, they kinda just tank it while hoping they are out doing the damage they take. Unlike the lovely FdL :p (i have my biases).

Biggest issue for me with the FAS is the convergence of the two mains is just ever so slightly off so you need to be close to target modules.

Yeah, I like fixed weapons, so I'm not a big fan of the hardpoint placement. The FDL has such goddamn good hardpoints, it's going to be hard to consider anything else.

I've been wondering this too. I heard that there were some problems with the Vive version about 6-7 months ago.

I can tell you first hand, I have both headsets. The difference was stark, they improved it a bit weeks later but still the difference was absolutely noticeable. I know there has been some improvements with async reprojection but haven't had a chance to compare the 2. I'd love to sell my Oculus and just use the Vive and invest in the wireless adapter in the future. The Vive is better for me in almost everyway and I won't get into my other issues with Oculus the company, but Elite is the one weird outlier where the difference was too much to accept.

Arulan

I can't really comment on the difference between the Rift and Vive, but playing Elite: Dangerous on the Vive is fine.

Sometime last year they added a HMD Image Quality setting, which appears to behave similar to SteamVR's renderTargetAhead setting. This is in addition to the Supersampling setting that was present originally. Async Reprojection is also very useful for a game like this, which is now possible on the Vive.

On my overclocked 6900K and GTX 1080 setup I'm using 1.4 for my global renderTargetAhead setting, and 1.25 in-game HMD Image Quality setting, and it seems to be holding up fine for now (using a modified VR Ultra preset).

Oh, and definitely change your HUD color to something within the green spectrum, as it's a lot better for the pentile displays.

Well, the game got 3 days of interest from me before it got deleted again. They need to fix the bugs, it's completely ridiculous for it to be in this state when it's been out for this long. Not only are the Cannon guys fighting their way through bugs leaving everyone guessing what the hell actually works with the Alien Ruins, but I've also just wasted a whole freaking day on their awful design.

4 passenger missions and I could only hand one in at the end, apparently because I needed cargo space for some unknown reason (they mentioned only pay in cash when I accepted them) and despite having gotten back to the station they wouldn't pay me. The forums say you need cargo space too, despite the game making no reference to this. Then I'm shortly killed while trying to find a place selling a cargo bay big enough and the whole day is wasted.

This is exactly why I can never muster interest for very long. The game has zero respect for your time, and as a result, it feels like the biggest waste of it.

Woorloog

Banned
How do i find weapons i need without having to check every station i can see? Like, is there some kind database, or maybe some kind of guide what kind of places sell what kind of stuff?

Traveling and docking to every place to find stuff takes so much time, and the weapons my ship's a paperweight.

owlbeak

Well I have found the 13 bits of data at the ruins site for 13,000,000. Not sure what to do from now on. Lots of science going on at the site with all sorts of people trying to figure out if there is more, it's quite congested (and dangerous) in open play, with lots of people jacking people to and from the planet.

I'm heading to the moon to look for other ruins. Still three weeks left before the mission expires.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah. Rail guns only go to medium mounts, and both them and PAs only are fixed.

Actually meant to include rating as well.. But it seems even that is limited? IE the system is inconsistent, while there are E-to-A types of stuff for, say, Thrusters, there are no G-to-A types of size 1 pulse lasers?

EDIT Oh, wait, even that doesn't seem to hold water. How annoying.

Actually meant to include rating as well.. But it seems even that is limited? IE the system is inconsistent, while there are E-to-A types of stuff for, say, Thrusters, there are no G-to-A types of size 1 pulse lasers?

You won't find variations in ratings on weapons. Differences in the A-E scale for weapons just mean type. Turreted weapons are always high letters and fixed weapons are lower.

Woorloog

Banned
So what are fixed weapons good for? Except against Anacondas and other such big ships. Seem kinda useless otherwise.

At least when using a Xbone controller. I do wonder if i would have been able to hit better with KB/M or a joystick, though since i'm playing on Xbone i can't really test this.
Also should've tried leading reticule (using trailing, because i couldn't hit anything in tutorials with leading one but that might be have been just because i wasn't used to controls yet).

Woorloog

Banned
They actually have higher damage? I still haven't figured out damage values for weapons, the game seems to be listing only DPS, which i don't find terribly useful value as it doesn't tell how the increase or decrease comes. And for fixed weapons, it is even less useful since it takes time to line up a shot.
(The countermeasure thing is obvious in retrospect... just that not one enemy i fought used them recently.)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah fixed do roughly ~20% more damage. They're better all around but the problem is they're less consistent, so if you train yourself to become a human gimble then you can technically wreck havoc with them.

I use fixed weapons on my diamond back scout since it's a silent running ship and it gives me a lot of unexpected angles on enemies who literally can't track me. Doing powerplay at the moment to get the enforcer multi-cannons on my DBS which are 1F's that do nearly 2F tier damage.

VKseRxg.png

Gonna be a long 4 weeks.

I also kinda wanna make this stupid as hell combat Asp
http://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/outfit...0e0e004040400B12d29292t2727.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==.

Was watching ObsidianAnt's later video and he was talking about the ruin CG, the race that built it is called
the Guardians
, which is also the
name of the current patch
. Seems like there is going to be more revealed about them.

SmartBase

Was watching ObsidianAnt's later video and he was talking about the ruin CG, the race that built it is called
the Guardians
, which is also the
name of the current patch
. Seems like there is going to be more revealed about them.

Can't believe all the people who kept saying the Guardians
only referred to the fighters, the patch logo was only slightly green, alien, and matching the ruins.

Guess they'll be the key to fighting the "new" aliens.

Biggest issue for me with the FAS is the convergence of the two mains is just ever so slightly off so you need to be close to target modules.

Recommendation:

Top C3 = Cannon, PA

Bottom C3 + Side C2's = Fixed bursts, Fixed Pulses, Fixed Multicannons

You'll be very pleased once you move past the idea that you need to have the C3's shooting together. :D

Anomaly Detected signal source? Any specific body it's around?
Just drive around. They'll pop up.

Yeah fixed do roughly ~20% more damage. They're better all around but the problem is they're less consistent, so if you train yourself to become a human gimble then you can technically wreck havoc with them.

I use fixed weapons on my diamond back scout since it's a silent running ship and it gives me a lot of unexpected angles on enemies who literally can't track me. Doing powerplay at the moment to get the enforcer multi-cannons on my DBS which are 1F's that do nearly 2F tier damage.

VKseRxg.png

Gonna be a long 4 weeks.

I also kinda wanna make this stupid as hell combat Asp
http://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/outfit...0e0e004040400B12d29292t2727.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==.

just started my grind for the packhounds because they're OP as shit.

Will probably come back for these Enforcers as I've realized a bunch of my ships that I'm now about to Engineer have C1 hardpoints (basically all of my ships from Sidewinder --> AspX).

They actually have higher damage? I still haven't figured out damage values for weapons, the game seems to be listing only DPS, which i don't find terribly useful value as it doesn't tell how the increase or decrease comes. And for fixed weapons, it is even less useful since it takes time to line up a shot.
(The countermeasure thing is obvious in retrospect... just that not one enemy i fought used them recently.)

they do considerably more damage and they got buffed again in the latest patch. It's simply a function of whether you're willing to learn how to aim manually or not. I'd recommend it, as the most powerful weapons in the game are all fixed (not to mention the most powerful variant of every weapon that gives an option).

Is there like a good beginner FAQ or something? It's been a long time since I played, so a refresher would be nice. I also always had trouble landing in space stations :/

Is there like a good beginner FAQ or something? It's been a long time since I played, so a refresher would be nice. I also always had trouble landing in space stations :/

Use the in game training modules for basics like landing.

After you're done with the tutorials, best way to deal with those things is to practice.

As for more general tutorials, yessir there are plenty of great ones on Youtube. You can start with this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNSKAteZ2y4

But again, that's for after you get comfy with the in-game training modules. They're quite good at this point.

Use the in game training modules for basics like landing.

After you're done with the tutorials, best way to deal with those things is to practice.

As for more general tutorials, yessir there are plenty of great ones on Youtube. You can start with this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNSKAteZ2y4

But again, that's for after you get comfy with the in-game training modules. They're quite good at this point.

Awesome. Thank you!!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
just started my grind for the packhounds because they're OP as shit.

Will probably come back for these Enforcers as I've realized a bunch of my ships that I'm now about to Engineer have C1 hardpoints (basically all of my ships from Sidewinder --> AspX).

OOoooh I forgot about the packhounds! Gotta add those to my list.

I wanna do the enforcers, then I wanna do Adv PA, prismatics and possibly the imperial hammer. But I think I'll do packhounds after adv PA. Thank god for module storage lol.

Serrato

So I was thinking back of returning to E:D and take the grind to the Engineers after I get my Federal Corvette, is there any guide that could help me?

I found out some Reddit Guides but I wanna know if you guys have other things.

owlbeak

So what are fixed weapons good for? Except against Anacondas and other such big ships.
Like others have said, higher damage and more weapon variety.

I've only ever used fixed and highly recommend them. It makes you a much better pilot than most people who have only ever used gimbaled, not to mention the damage increase is well worth it.

galvenize

So I've decided to try combat in a conflict zone in order to gain credits but I can't seem to survive long enough. I pick a side but I get wrecked shortly after :/.

danowat

Banned
Ok ED Experts, talk to me about community goals, what are they?, how do I participate?, and are they worth doing for someone like me who has very mediocre equipment?.

Burny

So I've decided to try combat in a conflict zone in order to gain credits but I can't seem to survive long enough. I pick a side but I get wrecked shortly after :/.

What ship are you in? Don't expect to survive in Vipers or Egales. In CZ, it's also a good idea to wing up with some friendly commanders.

Aside from that, wait for a moment before you join a side until all ships are spawned. Don't rush headlong into encounters. Generally only pick targets that your allies are also targeting and keep your allies alive as well (finish off smaller ships on their tails). The longer your allies survive, the more combined firepower you have and the more targets across which the opponents may distribute their firepower.

If in doubt, bring a bigger ship and more dakka. :p

galvenize

What ship are you in? Don't expect to survive in Vipers or Egales. In CZ, it's also a good idea to wing up with some friendly commanders.

Aside from that, wait for a moment before you join a side until all ships are spawned. Don't rush headlong into encounters. Generally only pick targets that your allies are also targeting and keep your allies alive as well (finish off smaller ships on their tails). The longer your allies survive, the more combined firepower you have and the more targets across which the opponents may distribute their firepower.

If in doubt, bring a bigger ship and more dakka. :p

Hmm actually I went with the Sidewinder lol. I was recommended to go into conflict zones at the start of the game for easy credits.

owlbeak

Hmm actually I went with the Sidewinder lol. I was recommended to go into conflict zones at the start of the game for easy credits.
NOoooooooo. :)

Sidewinder will get blown out of the sky almost immediately in a CZ. You'll be going up against Vultures, Vipers, Cobras, Anacondas, Pythons, Asps, FASs, FDLs, Fighters and sometimes Capital Ships (basically, all the ships in a CZ will be insanely more powerful than you that can destroy you in seconds). You'll be lucky to last 5 minutes in a Sidey. :) You want to go to Resource Extraction Sites or Nav Beacons, definitely not combat zones. You may be able to make some money in a CZ in a Sidewinder once you get some experience, but it is not worth the hassle.

sueil

Well finally got around to playing this game in Vive after completely burning out in October before I got my Vive. Wow is it fun in VR. I'm back to grinding out my empire rank to get a cutter after leaving off at rank 9 before I got tired in October. I'm almost rank 11 now after just a few hours of playing.

DrBo42

Yeah new players should head into Resource Extraction Sites to gain quick money. You can always call on one of us to help you in there if needed.

Burny

Ahahaha. :'D Sorry, but I'd like to have seen this. ;)

No, your easiest combat related entry into the game is to go to Nav-Beacons and prey on wanted ships that are already being attacked by security ships! You'll get all the bounty if you do a bit of damage and will be out of the Sidewinder in no time. If there's a RES site nearby, even better, more action, less downtime. But iirc there were no good RES sites in the immediate starter system, no?

owlbeak

. But iirc there were no good RES sites in the immediate starter system, no?
Correct. LHS 3447 sucks all around, so my advice would be for any new players to pack up and go to Kremainn ASAP. It is close to the starting system (about 8LY if I recall), has four RES (2 High, 2 Low) and a station at one of the RES to make turning in bounties, resupplies and repairs super easy and convenient.

Scoobie

If you do go into the CZs, a tip I found worked well for me is to stay on the periphery of the fight and pick off targets one by one, not head straight into the middle of the fight.

vector824

Yeah I tried that once too, BOOM and re-buy screen. At least the sidey is cheap.

Nav Beacons are where you should start, find a ship being attacked by security forces (make sure it says "WANTED" on the info screen or you'll get a bounty on yourself), watch it's shields and when they drop start popping off shots but let the sec forces do most of the work, collect bounty, rinse and repeat.

Just don't get killed before you turn them in or you'll lose them all. Once you upgrade components go and hit up RES sites after you feel more comfortable flying around.

Hit me up too if you want help, CMDR Max Vector. I'll probably be playing tomorrow for a good bit during the day.

Pomerlaw

Wow, the flight model in this game feels so good after Arena Commander.

SC is making some progress on that front but still not close to Elite in my book.

Ok ED Experts, talk to me about community goals, what are they?, how do I participate?, and are they worth doing for someone like me who has very mediocre equipment?.

Check out the EliteCG sub-reddit. It's the best place to go for the latest updates on current active CGs.

Basically, CGs have you do the core activities of ED (combat/trading/mining) but for a specific purpose. They are a solid way to make fairly quick cash in Elite, although not necessarily the fastest. I think they're great for beginners because they encourage the base profitable activities and get you some experience.

Rewards are granted in tiers, in two ways. At the high level, you have the CG tiers that are global/apply to everyone. For example, at Tier 1, payouts may max out at 1,000,000 credits. At Tier 8, payouts could max at something like 30,000,000. The tiers are dependent on the overall CG progress--so the more people participating, the higher the potential payout could be.

Then you have the actual rewards, which are somewhat tiered. Simply participating (the 99th percentile) usually grants you at least 100,000-1,000,000 credits (depending on the CG and its Tier level). But then there is a 75th percentile, 50th, 25th, and top 5-10%. These are essentially brackets that you get into based on how much *you* personally have contributed.

So the best way to max out CG rewards is generally:

-Lots of participation from the global ED community
-Lots of participation at an individual level

You MUST sign up for the CG before you turn in any rewards for it. Some CGs require that you sign up for the CG first, then start your progress. For example, if you have 1,000,000 credits worth of bounty vouchers to turn in, but the CG says only vouchers collected AFTER signing up count, you can't put those 1,000,000 towards the CG.

Does anyone know if the core routing issue has been solved?

The last time I played E:D (I think last September? October?) it took 30+ minutes of number crunching for my computer to plot a route near the core (I'm like 2k LY away from the core).

DrBo42

Does anyone know if the core routing issue has been solved?

The last time I played E:D (I think last September? October?) it took 30+ minutes of number crunching for my computer to plot a route near the core (I'm like 2k LY away from the core).

Yep. They made some real nice optimizations to route plotting and even expanded your options. You can now sort a route that only has scoopable stars if possible etc.

Top Bottom