• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Burny

They are all better than the Asp kit. Fuckers. :(

They're all better looking ships that the Asp. *ducks*

Nah, as above. I think the Asp kit holds its own. Nothing comes close to that ridiculously large space spoiler you can sport with it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Lol I feel a little bad, I was obliterating powerplay agents in a system, saw a cmdr who was pleged to yuri in an adder so i interdicted him and blasted him out of the sky, as he was exploding I realized he was harmless and wasn't actually pledged to Yuri but just listed as wanted. He had a bounty of like 2000 credits :S

kennah

Lol I feel a little bad, I was obliterating powerplay agents in a system, saw a cmdr who was pleged to yuri in an adder so i interdicted him and blasted him out of the sky, as he was exploding I realized he was harmless and wasn't actually pledged to Yuri but just listed as wanted. He had a bounty of like 2000 credits :S

LOL... you asshole :p

Law and Order

New ship kits in the store:

Viper Mk III

Anaconda

And finally, the Python

They are all better than the Asp kit. Fuckers. :(

That Python kit looks really nice. Saw some screenshots on reddit:
UqYpwgk.png

wSSpOQ9.png

ESf0vAF.png

Rambone

Finally after over a year or so with this game sitting in my steam library I decided to dive in. I started with the trusty sidewinder and did a straight upgrade to a Viper MKIV and what a difference, hopefully I made the right choice. I thought combat was my calling but space trucking seems to better suit me. I am pleased that the MKIV has some ample cargo room and can still handle reasonably well against attackers.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Finally after over a year or so with this game sitting in my steam library I decided to dive in. I started with the trusty sidewinder and did a straight upgrade to a Viper MKIV and what a difference, hopefully I made the right choice. I thought combat was my calling but space trucking seems to better suit me. I am pleased that the MKIV has some ample cargo room and can still handle reasonably well against attackers.

If you're into space trucking the Cobra Mk3 is like the perfect ship to get you going with a diverse range of career paths! Huge jump range, lots of internal slots to play with and similar weapon arrangements to the viper mk4.

http://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/outfit...df427270p0p070048030301012o.Iw1/kA==.Aw1/kA==.

You get 20 ly of jump range while hauling 40 tons of cargo, and you've got a pretty cool weapons configuration, that is assuming you can afford to fit the class A FSD. 2.7mil to throw this together should be a great goal early on, to full A rate every component on the ship it will cost you 6mil I believe so you can be kitting out that ship for a while! If you can't afford the class A FSD just get the biggest one you can afford but man that class A is tasty.

danowat

Banned
I use a Cobra Mk 3 and it's a great all rounder, although it's a Jack of all trades master of none, but that's fine with me as I like to mix it up.

Is there anyway of seeing the current threshold limits for the tiers in CG's?

Rambone

If you're into space trucking the Cobra Mk3 is like the perfect ship to get you going with a diverse range of career paths! Huge jump range, lots of internal slots to play with and similar weapon arrangements to the viper mk4.

http://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/outfit...df427270p0p070048030301012o.Iw1/kA==.Aw1/kA==.

You get 20 ly of jump range while hauling 40 tons of cargo, and you've got a pretty cool weapons configuration, that is assuming you can afford to fit the class A FSD. 2.7mil to throw this together should be a great goal early on, to full A rate every component on the ship it will cost you 6mil I believe so you can be kitting out that ship for a while! If you can't afford the class A FSD just get the biggest one you can afford but man that class A is tasty.

I managed to upgrade most of the internals to class A aside from the thrusters but am looking to grind my way to a bigger better ship than both the Cobra and Viper line. Was hoping to get something with decent cargo capacity and the ability to launch fighters. The Keelback seems like the next logical step, am I pointed in the right direction or should I save up and get something else?

I use a Cobra Mk 3 and it's a great all rounder, although it's a Jack of all trades master of none, but that's fine with me as I like to mix it up.

Is there anyway of seeing the current threshold limits for the tiers in CG's?

Cobra 3 is by far the best bang-for-buck ship in the game. That said, I have a A rated one mothballed in some dock or other, with a ludicrous amount spent o n upgrades. The equivalent of someone buying an old man's Honda Civic and fitting some hilariously ill-advised aftermarket 'sports' parts.

The Courier is a nice upgrade with better combat while still having some cargo. It was the opposite of the Cobra in that it was expensive to buy but kitting it out is relatively cheap.

I don't think you can see the exact Tier values in CGs. Pixel counting used to give a rough estimate, but it doesn't work when tiers are close together, since the UI scales the sizes for better legibility.
Or do you mean the percentile reward tiers? In which case, no, it's impossible to tell when you'll reach, say 75%.

The combat CG is filling up quickly. Got a quick 1 million last night. God knows where the contribution levels are (I'm top 75 for what it's worth)

HunRevan

Hey guys help me decide. I have the game on xbox with the horizon expansion. I have since built a gaming pc and I barely play on xbox anymore. I really want to play a space game but I dont know if I should buy this again with Horizons. I should start from the beginning. Is there a way to get a lot of money in the game relatively quickly?

SmartBase

Yeah. The spectograph shit was absurd. Same as analyzing a star pattern in a trailer to find a correct system. If you can't use the tools within the game to solve a puzzle, you've fucked up as a developer IMO.

I really want to be positive considering this new puzzle yields interesting information and might actually be doable in-game, but it's bugged to hell in every mode. You just can't win.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The Keelback seems like the next logical step, am I pointed in the right direction or should I save up and get something else?

Yeah the keelback is super awesome, I love mine. You can also go for the type 6, an asp explorer fitted for cargo runs is also a great ship after that, it can fit something like 108 tons comfortably, but that's gonna run you quite a bit more than the keelback or t6.

No love for the DBS?

The DBS is easily tied with the courier for me as far as "fun as hell to fly and fit" ships go.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah the keelback is super awesome, I love mine.

The Keelback has become one of my favorite ships in the game. Great view out the front, can carry a fighter, very tanky for a medium ship, fun to fly, looks great, and has the absolute hands down BEST boost horn in the game!!! The Keelback has so much character that it's hard not to love it.

Burny

Guys, any news about the PS4 version? Can't wait to play this.

Still coming sometime '17 Q2. No further news.

+1 for Keelback love! Great ship for fooling around with a fighter. But I think there are better dedicated ships for practically everything.The artificial ship type limit for fighters makes it interesting as the smallest ship for SLF.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The Keelback has become one of my favorite ships in the game. Great view out the front, can carry a fighter, very tanky for a medium ship, fun to fly, looks great, and has the absolute hands down BEST boost horn in the game!!! The Keelback has so much character that it's hard not to love it.

The 2 coolest things about the keelback by far are the engine boost sound and the fact that the thrusters on the sides of the ship rotate!

It's personally my go to ship when I'm traveling. With the advent of the ship transfer system I've basically just gotten in my keelback and flown large distances across the bubble and then shipped my combat ships over lol. Makes it easier to avoid fitting scoops and other travel stuff on combat ships (except my FdL for power reasons until I can engineer a better plant)

Any alternative sources of Meta-alloys if Maia's only station is UA bombed? (and how do UA bombs work?)

Shoot barnacles and they break up into meta-alloys. UA bombs happen when too many players bring artifacts into a station, and considering maia is the only station by a known thargoid crash site it happens often.

Sibylus

Banned
The 2 coolest things about the keelback by far are the engine boost sound and the fact that the thrusters on the sides of the ship rotate!

It's personally my go to ship when I'm traveling. With the advent of the ship transfer system I've basically just gotten in my keelback and flown large distances across the bubble and then shipped my combat ships over lol. Makes it easier to avoid fitting scoops and other travel stuff on combat ships (except my FdL for power reasons until I can engineer a better plant)

Shoot barnacles and they break up into meta-alloys. UA bombs happen when too many players bring artifacts into a station, and considering maia is the only station by a known thargoid crash site it happens often.

Are there still barnacles out there? Thought they were wiped out.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Are there still barnacles out there? Thought they were wiped out.

There should be, I never heard anything about them going away.

I'll never know how you guys fly ships that aren't the big 3, an Asp or an FDL. Keelback? Really? Haha.

The Keelback can fit a fighter bay, can the Asp? Besides what do you do on your asp the Keelback can't do? Haul? Why are you bothering to haul on an asp there are better ships for that if you can afford them. The keelback is the superior traveling vessel, you get a fighter bay, SRV bay, good hull, sufficient weapons and some cargo to pick weird stuff up.

I only go min max try hard if I'm planning on fighting things, but even then I love doing weird combat fits like my silent running DBS. Which has gotten me a lot of hate mail...

Sibylus

Banned

The Keelback can fit a fighter bay, can the Asp? Besides what do you do on your asp the Keelback can't do? Haul? Why are you bothering to haul on an asp there are better ships for that if you can afford them. The keelback is the superior traveling vessel, you get a fighter bay, SRV bay, good hull, sufficient weapons and some cargo to pick weird stuff up.

I only go min max try hard if I'm planning on fighting things, but even then I love doing weird combat fits like my silent running DBS. Which has gotten me a lot of hate mail...

Was something about them disappearing after being harvested, then a bulletin about Federal forces wiping them out. That was some time ago though and I'm not sure what (if anything) has changed since.

DrBo42

The asp is an exploration ship. When Sothis was a thing it was also used as a smuggling ship.

Someone that has made a recent trip on here would be better to give you hard details about the plotting experience at the core specifically but as I said they've made optimizations and changes. Don't hate me if you're still waiting a bit for plotting out in the deep.

Thanks so much for the tip on filtering!!! I was actually about 600LY away from Sag A actually haha. Just booted up the game and after filtering out non-scoopable stars (but still showing black holes, neutron stars) the plot only took about 20s. Down from 30m! Hooray!!!!!! I'm 16 jumps out from the core! Thank you again for the tip. I'm happy beyond words that I can finally finish my journey to the core :D :D :D

DrBo42

Thanks so much for the tip on filtering!!! I was actually about 600LY away from Sag A actually haha. Just booted up the game and after filtering out non-scoopable stars (but still showing black holes, neutron stars) the plot only took about 20s. Down from 30m! Hooray!!!!!! I'm 16 jumps out from the core! Thank you again for the tip. I'm happy beyond words that I can finally finish my journey to the core :D :D :D

Np. Safe journey man.

Bought the Anaconda ship kit. No regrets. Now if only I had a chrome livery for this bad boy I'd be set!

That shit is so expensive. Looks cool though.

zorbsie

hat shit is so expensive. Looks cool though.

It is. I wish the ship kits came with a livery as well. I just love this game so much, so I don't mind throwing some money at the devs. It's not like I'm buying every ship kit. So they get a few bucks from me every 6 months or so. :)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The asp is an exploration ship. When Sothis was a thing it was also used as a smuggling ship.

Lol nah I love the AspX I just got bored of it after sothis with it :p so i needed a change, plus i like how the keelback can do a little of every non combat thing so it's a fun ship to have around.

I still really wanna try out my stupid aspx combat fit when I get my powerplay weapons from pranav antal

http://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/outfit...0e0e004040400B12d29292t2727.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I want to love VoiceAttack, I just can't deal with the odd spurious command getting triggered.

I thought that maybe its just not having a good enough mic (I thought the Steelseries Siberia headset would be good enough, but nope).

When a doorslam from another part of the house gets picked up and recognised as "Boost" something is wrong wrong WRONG!

(And it's only VA that does this, dictation and speech recognition is fine.)

Top Bottom