• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Yep. They made some real nice optimizations to route plotting and even expanded your options. You can now sort a route that only has scoopable stars if possible etc.

AWWWWWW YISSSSSSS!!!! Time to get back into E:D

Can finally get my trip to Sag A* done and get back to blowing up pirate scum :>

DrBo42

AWWWWWW YISSSSSSS!!!! Time to get back into E:D

Can finally get my trip to Sag A* done and get back to blowing up pirate scum :>

Someone that has made a recent trip on here would be better to give you hard details about the plotting experience at the core specifically but as I said they've made optimizations and changes. Don't hate me if you're still waiting a bit for plotting out in the deep.

danowat

Banned
Check out the EliteCG sub-reddit. It's the best place to go for the latest updates on current active CGs.

Basically, CGs have you do the core activities of ED (combat/trading/mining) but for a specific purpose. They are a solid way to make fairly quick cash in Elite, although not necessarily the fastest. I think they're great for beginners because they encourage the base profitable activities and get you some experience.

Rewards are granted in tiers, in two ways. At the high level, you have the CG tiers that are global/apply to everyone. For example, at Tier 1, payouts may max out at 1,000,000 credits. At Tier 8, payouts could max at something like 30,000,000. The tiers are dependent on the overall CG progress--so the more people participating, the higher the potential payout could be.

Then you have the actual rewards, which are somewhat tiered. Simply participating (the 99th percentile) usually grants you at least 100,000-1,000,000 credits (depending on the CG and its Tier level). But then there is a 75th percentile, 50th, 25th, and top 5-10%. These are essentially brackets that you get into based on how much *you* personally have contributed.

So the best way to max out CG rewards is generally:

-Lots of participation from the global ED community
-Lots of participation at an individual level

You MUST sign up for the CG before you turn in any rewards for it. Some CGs require that you sign up for the CG first, then start your progress. For example, if you have 1,000,000 credits worth of bounty vouchers to turn in, but the CG says only vouchers collected AFTER signing up count, you can't put those 1,000,000 towards the CG.

Thanks.

So for this weeks one, if I am fighting for the federation, I just sign up, head over to Parun, kick some bounty ass and hand vouchers in to underwood?, it's that simple?

Thanks.

So for this weeks one, if I am fighting for the federation, I just sign up, head over to Parun, kick some bounty ass and hand vouchers in to underwood?, it's that simple?

Yup!

CG=doing what you're probably normally doing in ED, but at a specific location and for a specific purpose. Sometimes global rewards are given as a part of completing it: a discount at certain systems, a special skin (like they did over Christmas), etc.

Sometimes CG outcomes help shape the galaxy and the way systems develop. That's what is happening in Colonia right now: a lot of CGs related to expansion, building out new areas, etc. We had a CG to build out Obsidian Orbital and the different Tiers reached determined what sort of station services were offered.

Generally, enjoyment of ED seems to go like this:

bPD8cT0.png

After a steep and sometimes frustrating learning curve, through your first dozens of hours, you'll likely be mesmerized by the freedom, the flight model, the immersion, and the scale. You'll feel the rush of getting your first perfect orbital station dock, your first 100k+ bounty from an FDL or Cutter or Conda, your first capital class ship sighting, your first experience in a wing, your first few ship upgrades, your first undiscovered earth-like, your first trip to Sol, etc. Truly some fantastic feelings and gameplay.

But there is a reason the more negative impressions come from players who have dumped 100+ (if not hundreds) of hours into the game: it can get pretty repetitive after you experience the wealth of options available.

Your enjoyment of it will really depend on how much you enjoy performing the basic tasks in the game, as well as the flight model and new content that comes out of it. There are a number of ED players who simply love the sight-seeing that the engine is capable of, for example. Exploration, as barebones as it is, is rewarding in that way--but it is also barebones and it's understandable why players complain.

The "light blue" line in my graph is that happy path: the experienced player who can appreciate ED for what it is, check on new content as it comes out, and trust the direction FD is headed. Many players burn out, however.

owlbeak

bPD8cT0.png

After a steep and sometimes frustrating learning curve, through your first dozens of hours, you'll likely be mesmerized by the freedom, the flight model, the immersion, and the scale. You'll feel the rush of getting your first perfect orbital station dock, your first 100k+ bounty from an FDL or Cutter or Conda, your first capital class ship sighting, your first experience in a wing, your first few ship upgrades, your first undiscovered earth-like, your first trip to Sol, etc. Truly some fantastic feelings and gameplay.

But there is a reason the more negative impressions come from players who have dumped 100+ (if not hundreds) of hours into the game: it can get pretty repetitive after you experience the wealth of options available.

Your enjoyment of it will really depend on how much you enjoy performing the basic tasks in the game, as well as the flight model and new content that comes out of it. There are a number of ED players who simply love the sight-seeing that the engine is capable of, for example. Exploration, as barebones as it is, is rewarding in that way--but it is also barebones and it's understandable why players complain.

The "light blue" line in my graph is that happy path: the experienced player who can appreciate ED for what it is, check on new content as it comes out, and trust the direction FD is headed. Many players burn out, however.
This is accurate. I can't tell you how many hours I have put into the game (since I use the Frontier launcher so they get all my money), but it has to be 1000+ since I have been playing since December 2014. I usually jump in, play obsessively for a month or so and then step away for a couple of months and then dive back in. It's a cycle that I'm fine with. I love the game, but I do wish there was a bit more to do. I love exploring and sight-seeing, especially in VR, which has made the game infinitely more enjoyable.

I'd like to see, and hope they add, more exploration-based missions like the ongoing Ancient Ruins mission. It's very cool and the game needs a lot more of this type of stuff going on.

This is accurate. I can't tell you how many hours I have put into the game (since I use the Frontier launcher so they get all my money), but it has to be 1000+ since I have been playing since December 2014. I usually jump in, play obsessively for a month or so and then step away for a couple of months and then dive back in. It's a cycle that I'm fine with. I love the game, but I do wish there was a bit more to do. I love exploring and sight-seeing, especially in VR, which has made the game infinitely more enjoyable.

I'd like to see, and hope they add, more exploration-based missions like the ongoing Ancient Ruins mission. It's very cool and the game needs a lot more of this type of stuff going on.
You can get a Steam key from the Elite Dangerous website if you want. Just log in and claim it, then activate. Doesn't really make much difference I guess (I did it, but had it already installed directly on my PC), but if you want it all in Steam.

owlbeak

You can get a Steam key from the Elite Dangerous website if you want. Just log in and claim it, then activate. Doesn't really make much difference I guess (I did it, but had it already installed directly on my PC), but if you want it all in Steam.

Yeah, I didn't want to do that because then Steam takes a cut of all future purchases and I'd rather Frontier get 100% of my money.

Man, that Guardians lore is fascinating o_O Lots of talk there about how they developed/created biological weapons, including actual creatures. They mastered biological and genetic manipulation.

Did they create the Thargoids...? Probably not--really interested in getting all the pieces of the lore decoded.

Skab

I've been wanting to dive into a space game lately and have been thinkin about picking this up, but I have a couple quick questions.

How does it feel on KBAM? I don't have a joystick or anything like that.

And what's he best way/place to buy it? I was looking at it on steam, which would be my first choice, but noticed there's a bunch of DLC and wasn't sure what all I would need.

HelloMeow

This is accurate. I can't tell you how many hours I have put into the game (since I use the Frontier launcher so they get all my money), but it has to be 1000+ since I have been playing since December 2014.

The in game stats tab shows how much you've played.

owlbeak

I've been wanting to dive into a space game lately and have been thinkin about picking this up, but I have a couple quick questions.

How does it feel on KBAM? I don't have a joystick or anything like that.

And what's he best way/place to buy it? I was looking at it on steam, which would be my first choice, but noticed there's a bunch of DLC and wasn't sure what all I would need.
You can play with KBAM, though I wouldn't recommend it. Xbox controller works relatively well from what I hear, though ideally a cheap joystick is recommended.

If you buy on Steam buy the Commander Deluxe Edition for $60 USD. It includes the base game + Horizons season & some paint jobs for ships.

Burny

How does it feel on KBAM?

Good. Just don't use the default layout and look at the video for a competent mapping! I'd still suggest getting a headtracking device, which is imo far more important than a HOTAS. EDTracker, if you don't want to cash out for the expensive TrackIR.

Steam. Only relevant purchases are the base game and the optional Horizons expansion (which I'd recommend by now). Everything else is cosmetic microtransaction stuff.

You can play with KBAM, though I wouldn't recommend it. Xbox controller works relatively well from what I hear, though ideally a cheap joystick is recommended.

Sorry, owlbeak, but Skab, don't listen to this person! A good K+M player gives HOTAS players a good spanking any day and might even easily beat them when it comes to fixed weapons, so there's that. ;) Use the money for a cheap inadequate HOTAS for EDTracker instead. :p You don't have plastic garbage flying around and a great device that considerably adds to your immersion and improves ingame visibility, just like a VR headset would do minus depth perception.

Just don't buy cheap plastic garbage joysticks. I'd say either go all in with a good HOTAS or stay with the already available alternative that beats HOTAS at aiming: M+K.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
After not playing since the closed beta I looked at the Galaxy Map after starting afresh, and noticed I have an Eagle sitting at Beagle 2, free ship. w00t!

So much has changed, it's almost overwhelming, but great great fun.

That feeling when you aim at a station approach from a terrible docking angle, flip the FA off and rotate the ship to match what you estimate will be a good docking slot approach angle, then watch the docking bay slide into place and flip FA off and enter like a boss.

Of course I then blew it by taking a planetary settlement generator kill mission, fly all the way there, land expertly and only then remember it's the freebie sidewinder with the SRV & vehicle bay, not the Eagle I just flew here in. :(

owlbeak

Sorry, owlbeak, but Skab, don't listen to this person! A good K+M player gives HOTAS players a good spanking any day and might even easily beat them when it comes to fixed weapons, so there's that. ;) Use the money for a cheap inadequate HOTAS for EDTracker instead. :p
How dare you, sir! I fly with a HOTAS with fixed weapons, and I challenge a KBM player to a duel! :)

Burny

How dare you, sir! I fly with a HOTAS with fixed weapons, and I challenge a KBM player to a duel! :)

Well, I wouldn't mind. You'll find I'll lose just as spectacularily with either setup (have both)!

Only condition would be to use cheapish ships (Eagles?) with the same, un-engineered modules. ;)

owlbeak

Well, I wouldn't mind. You'll find I'll lose just as spectacularily with either setup (have both)!

Only condition would be to use cheapish ships (Eagles?) with the same, un-engineered modules. ;)
Haha! Well, we'll call it even until I'm back in the bubble and can grab an eagle. :)

Kaji AF16

bPD8cT0.png

I started some 20 hours ago and I believe I´m starting the "mesmerized" phase: new ship (Cobra MK III), stable economy, fascination with the scale and "scientific accuracy" of the game.

I am mainly trading, with the occasional pirate hunt, and as of now I´m greatly enjoying the experience. Playing on Xbox One with a standard control.

I started some 20 hours ago and I believe I´m starting the "mesmerized" phase: new ship (Cobra MK III), stable economy, fascination with the scale and "scientific accuracy" of the game.

I am mainly trading, with the occasional pirate hunt, and as of now I´m greatly enjoying the experience. Playing on Xbox One with a standard control.

Glad to hear it! Take your time. It's a game that's very easy to binge but that can easily lead to burnout.

Haluko

bPD8cT0.png

This is pretty much dead on. I have hundreds of hours in the game and now have a mixed review of the game. I think one other aspect of being a long time elite player is seeing the immense potential the game has. Its so damn frustrating at times knowing that for every amazing thing it does it has an equally terrible or broken mechanic. Im hopeful over time it will keep improving. I play for awhile and then I wait to see the updates.

So what are fixed weapons good for? Except against Anacondas and other such big ships. Seem kinda useless otherwise.

At least when using a Xbone controller. I do wonder if i would have been able to hit better with KB/M or a joystick, though since i'm playing on Xbone i can't really test this.
Also should've tried leading reticule (using trailing, because i couldn't hit anything in tutorials with leading one but that might be have been just because i wasn't used to controls yet).
Higher damage, higher DPS, and most importantly do not get shut down by chaff (and, well particularly PvP players are known for having TWO chaffs in their ships so they can smoke pretty much all the time). They also have less power draw if your loadout is hitting 100% ship power even after you already disabled stuff like the cargo hatch.

If you can hit with most of your shots with fixed weapons then they are always the better choice over gimballed weapons, particularly against big ships. But this also depends on hardpoint location, many ships have hardpoints (usually on the "wings") that make it hard to hit with them if you use fixed weapons for them (usually because they are mounted to far away from the center of the ship). Gimballs also target sub-systems themselves if you select them as targets, with fixed weapons you have to hit those spots yourself. I usually use half or a third of my weapon hardpoints for fixed weapons if I can (usually lasers, always go with gimballed for Autocannons).

DrBo42

This decoding the ruins thing is balls. Haha. Take the SRV around this entire site with every ancient object combination? I'm assuming this is all based on audio cues and the breath sound the obelisk makes means you don't have the right combo?

owlbeak

This decoding the ruins thing is balls. Haha. Take the SRV around this entire site with every ancient object combination? I'm assuming this is all based on audio cues and the breath sound the obelisk makes means you don't have the right combo?

It's actually not completely terrible. When you scan an obelisk, it tells you in the Info panel what the items in your cargo hold scan as (Alpha, Beta, Delta, etc) and you can start to work out what combos work on which of the 15 obelisks. There is a spreadsheet out there that shows you which combos unlock the discovered bits of data if you don't feel like figuring it out on your own.

I got the 13 pieces of data discovered so far, but obviously there are a ton more that no one has figured out how to access yet. It's annoying now because no one can figure out how to get the rest, we're not sure if there is another ruins site, or if you have to scan the obelisks in a certain order to get them to open more obelisks.

Feeroper

Hey everyone, I have a question:

I am considering picking up a HOTAS for this game and I wondered what thoughts were on the Thrustmaster T-Fight Hotas X? I don't want to spend hundreds one a stick and this was a decent price and looks to have pretty good Amazon reviews.

Also, the above stick is noted to work on PC & PS3 (and potentially PS4?), but what about Xbox One? I have ED on PC, but was considering getting a console version as well for various reasons. Is it better to wait for the PS4 version then, or is the Xbox One version good if I intend to use a HOTAS for this game?

I'm a noob to all of this, but thus far I've really enjoyed ED on PC.

Also, side question - is the player base for ED bigger on console or PC? Or perhaps comparable? Maybe no one can say for sure, but I thought Id ask.

That enjoyment graph is spot on. I like playing for a few sessions, but after a while I start thinking, "I've spent most of my time looking at FSD cooldowns/countdowns/loadscreens" and get a bit frustrated.
It helps to have a few different ships and switch between different playstyles. I've been doing passenger stuff and some rank grinding, but I'll switch back to combat in my vulture next time I play.

Speaking of which, are there good locations for "Laksmii Jet Power Industries" bounties in Parun (i.e. a RES).
It sounds like an an independent system/station, so I can't just hand in generic bounties from another system.
I hope it doesn't mean sitting in supercruise and interdicting the 1 in 20 ships that might have the correct bounty on them.

I've never tried KBM, but Burny's linked video seems to be a good setup. I'm not sure it's really "better" than a HOTAS though.
I wonder what it'd be like in a non-fighter ship. I think I'll stick to the HOTAS with regular thruster overrides and dips into FA-Off for quick turns.

I hear that fixed weapons have been buffed a bit, but I'm sticking to (mainly) gimballs. Gimballed lets me concentrate more on my own positioning rather than worrying about keeping the enemy in my sights.
That's one area where KBM with pure thruster movement might be more intuitive.

owlbeak

I am considering picking up a HOTAS for this game and I wondered what thoughts were on the Thrustmaster T-Fight Hotas X? I don't want to spend hundreds one a stick and this was a decent price and looks to have pretty good Amazon reviews.

Also, the above stick is noted to work on PC & PS3 (and potentially PS4?), but what about Xbox One? I have ED on PC, but was considering getting a console version as well for various reasons. Is it better to wait for the PS4 version then, or is the Xbox One version good if I intend to use a HOTAS for this game?

Also, side question - is the player base for ED bigger on console or PC? Or perhaps comparable? Maybe no one can say for sure, but I thought Id ask.
I guarantee there are far more players on PC than Xbox, considering the game has been out for three years on PC. But we don't know the Xbox numbers. The Steam numbers don't show all the people playing through the Frontier launcher that haven't linked to Steam (like myself).

If I were deciding between Xbox or PS4 version, I'd wait for the PS4 version due to the more capable hardware and MUCH larger install base (2:1 if not more) of consoles in homes (more potential players).

As for the HOTAS X, it's a good stick. The throttle is a much better piece of hardware than the joystick, but it's good enough that it'll let you figure out if you want to invest $100+ on a better HOTAS setup down the road. I don't know if it works on Xbone or PS4 , though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I think that despite having close to 300hrs in Elite, the thing that keeps me coming back is that I'm always trying new things in the game, whether it's changing up my fit. Trying out a different style of play, coming up with some silly scheme or just generally doing something different.

Even then if I can get into good fights with other people, I"m usually pretty happy.

The only thing that continuously disappoints me about the game is engineers, I feel like they royally screw up ship balance. I would rather they cost credits than materials, it would make using them feel more relevant in your every day grind.

My dream for engineers would be reducing the number of them down to like 5, giving each one a little 20 mission storyline, they can all do grade 1 upgrades right off the bat and every 5 missions you unlock the next grade. Each one would have missions relating to the kinds of upgrades that they do, it could be fully voiced like the tutorials and stuff. Engineer upgrades should be expensive, like 2mil per roll on grade 5s and 150k on grade 1s, that way even starting players can consider getting some little mods on their ships even if it costs them more than the ship itself. Favors would be done by done ha special favors mission for them not by using up your reputation. You'd only be able to do 1 favor mission per week but it would grant you 3 favors to use with them.

I think it would make using engineers a lot more enjoyable and a lot less "grindy", especially since it would finally give us some story type mission arcs in the game. Plus it would give everyone more direct access to mods which feel practically required for any attempts to traverse space with a lot of CMDRs who are looking to fight.

Burny

Currently I'd wager the PC crowd is larger. The game released half a year earlier on PC and even Horizons came later on Xbox. It's a niche game and all the obscure control/monitor/headtracking setups which make playing the game better are rather at home on PC. Who knows though? Might be that this'll change some years down the line, seeing as its going to come for PS4 as well.

I've never tried KBM, but Burny's linked video seems to be a good setup. I'm not sure it's really "better" than a HOTAS though.
I wonder what it'd be like in a non-fighter ship. I think I'll stick to the HOTAS with regular thruster overrides and dips into FA-Off for quick turns.

I'll concede that claims of KM 'beating' HOTAS are hyperbole. As is the other way round. ;) At the very least however, it's not a disadvantage. In terms of aiming probably a slight advantage. But before I'd recommend anybody to buy a overpriced sub-par HOTAS (Saitek *cough*), I'd advise to learn to play with mouse and keyboard and invest in head tracking any day. The latter I think is a game changer. A HOTAS isn't. And I'm saying this owning a CH HOTAS and MFG Crosswinds. :)

Feeroper

I guarantee there are far more players on PC than Xbox, considering the game has been out for three years on PC. But we don't know the Xbox numbers. The Steam numbers don't show all the people playing through the Frontier launcher that haven't linked to Steam (like myself).

If I were deciding between Xbox or PS4 version, I'd wait for the PS4 version due to the more capable hardware and MUCH larger install base (2:1 if not more) of consoles in homes (more potential players).

As for the HOTAS X, it's a good stick. The throttle is a much better piece of hardware than the joystick, but it's good enough that it'll let you figure out if you want to invest $100+ on a better HOTAS setup down the road. I don't know if it works on Xbone or PS4 , though.

I see they released an updated HOTAS stick for PS4 compatibility, but looks like th same stick as HOTAS X. Ill pick up one of those for sure to see if I like it and want to invest more later.

Quick question about the stick though - is it a major change to them game vs using a mouse+kb or controller? As in, do you get an advantage like accuracy using the stick over the other traditional control methods?

Burny

As in, do you get an advantage like accuracy using the stick over the other traditional control methods?

No. Each control setup is pretty much equal, except for gamepad (not - play, sorry!) , which are probably best off using gimbals and avoiding fixed weapons.

It comes down to how well you can handle it.

owlbeak

I see they released an updated HOTAS stick for PS4 compatibility, but looks like th same stick as HOTAS X. Ill pick up one of those for sure to see if I like it and want to invest more later.

Quick question about the stick though - is it a major change to them game vs using a mouse+kb or controller? As in, do you get an advantage like accuracy using the stick over the other traditional control methods?
The big advantage with a HOTAS (IMO) is that you have one hand that basically controls all of your directional throttle, that is forward/back/up/down/lateral thrust, and one hand that purely focuses on where you're pointed and/or firing at. I suppose you could say the same for a KB+M and argue you have more accuracy, but I think it's so much easier with a HOTAS setup; you really feel like you're in complete control of your ship, and once you're good with it you can literally fly circles around people and keep them exactly where you want them with little effort, while staying out of their cone of fire. I would say KB+M & HOTAS have a large advantage over controller users, because there just aren't enough buttons to be able to control all the different thrust at once that you can use in combat to gain an advantage as easily as you can with a HOTAS or KB+M.

Control benefits aside, it just feels cooler flying with a HOTAS, especially in VR when you look down and see your virtual hands doing the same movements you are actually doing with your real hands. But there are pros and cons to both. Ultimately, whatever you are more comfortable with is the best option!

Feeroper

The big advantage with a HOTAS (IMO) is that you have one hand that basically controls all of your directional throttle, that is forward/back/up/down/lateral thrust, and one hand that purely focuses on where you're pointed and/or firing at. I suppose you could say the same for a KB+M and argue you have more accuracy, but I think it's so much easier with a HOTAS setup; you really feel like you're in complete control of your ship, and once you're good with it you can literally fly circles around people and keep them exactly where you want them with little effort, while staying out of their cone of fire. I would say KB+M & HOTAS have a large advantage over controller users, because there just aren't enough buttons to be able to control all the different thrust at once that you can use in combat to gain an advantage as easily as you can with a HOTAS or KB+M.

Control benefits aside, it just feels cooler flying with a HOTAS, especially in VR when you look down and see your virtual hands doing the same movements you are actually doing with your real hands. But there are pros and cons to both. Ultimately, whatever you are more comfortable with is the best option!

No. Each control setup is pretty much equal, except for gameplay, which are probably best off using gimbals and avoiding fixed weapons.

It comes down to how well you can handle it.

Thanks for the info! Ill likely pick one of the entry level HOTAS models up to get a feel for it and see what I prefer.

Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS is a 100% solid recommendation from me.
It has enough buttons to cover everything if you use some buttons as modifiers to create combos. There are lots of recommended keybinds for it in the ED community, so you could probably download an ED .options file from someone and modify it to suit you.
Here's an example, from the ED forum. I'm not a huge fan of that particular setup, but it shows you what's possible.
My own keybinds leave some of the "never going to need this" commands on the keyboard rather than trying to cram them onto the HOTAS. Don't want to hit "jettison all cargo" by accident!

The more expensive sticks are presumably better and a second hat-switch on the throttle would be nice, but I'm not paying an extra >£100 for the privilege.
If you intend to play in VR and need a 100%, no-keyboard or mouse setup, it might be worth getting something better.

I hear there's a new version called the T-Flight HOTAS 4 that works with the PS4, but is otherwise identical to the T-Flight HOTAS X that is compatible with PS3. Only physical/visual difference is a blue colour scheme.
Also, I hear that the '4' version is not backwards compatible with the PS3.
I assume neither is XBone compatible but I don't know.

I've always assumed the PC community is bigger, but the Alien was found by an XBox player IIRC, so I think it's a good size on both platforms.

Feeroper

Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS is a 100% solid recommendation from me.
It has enough buttons to cover everything if you use some buttons as modifiers to create combos. There are lots of recommended keybinds for it in the ED community, so you could probably download an ED .options file from someone and modify it to suit you.
Here's an example, from the ED forum. I'm not a huge fan of that particular setup, but it shows you what's possible.
My own keybinds leave some of the "never going to need this" commands on the keyboard rather than trying to cram them onto the HOTAS. Don't want to hit "jettison all cargo" by accident!

The more expensive sticks are presumably better and a second hat-switch on the throttle would be nice, but I'm not paying an extra >£100 for the privilege.
If you intend to play in VR and need a 100%, no-keyboard or mouse setup, it might be worth getting something better.

I hear there's a new version called the T-Flight HOTAS 4 that works with the PS4, but is otherwise identical to the T-Flight HOTAS X that is compatible with PS3. Only physical/visual difference is a blue colour scheme.
Also, I hear that the '4' version is not backwards compatible with the PS3.
I assume neither is XBone compatible but I don't know.

I've always assumed the PC community is bigger, but the Alien was found by an XBox player IIRC, so I think it's a good size on both platforms.

Any idea if the PS3 version of the T-Flight stick is forward compatible with the PS4? I know in the fighting game community fight sticks from the PS3 days are often forward compatible with the PS4 while they still make PS4 sticks as well. I wonder if its the same situation with these flight sticks? I ask because there is a $30 price difference between the PS3 and PS4 model for me. Given that I want to get the PS4 game when it launches as well, I want to be sure the stick is good for the PS4.

I was able to confirm that the sticks are not compatible with Xbox.

Volimar

It's kind of funny. Just patiently go through all the combinations at a million credits per piece of info. Not bad, if a bit boring.

Havoc2049

Elite for the XB1 does not have HOTAS support at this time. I don't think Frontier has announced HOTAS support for the PS4 version either.

I'm sure the PC has a larger player base and always will, compared to the XB1 and PS4. Not sure how well a space combat sim game will do on the PS4. The Xbox community has always seemed to have a fairly dedicated base of players that enjoy PC-centric type games and play games on both PC and console.

I play on Xbox and there is a solid community of dedicated players. Some of the larger Elite Dangerous Wings on PC also have a smaller Xbox Wing. There are even some Xbox only Wings with a decent amount of members.

http://inara.cz/wings-list/102

So I've decided to try combat in a conflict zone in order to gain credits but I can't seem to survive long enough. I pick a side but I get wrecked shortly after :/.

Just do Resource Extraction Sites for now in your Sidey. Wait until bigger ships are being attacked by police and shoot them when they're low hp.

SmartBase

Might just give up on this ancient ruin puzzle, I'm not even sure it's solvable in solo mode or without the use of some bullshit external tools.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Might just give up on this ancient ruin puzzle, I'm not even sure it's solvable in solo mode or without the use of some bullshit external tools.

Frontier quality dept. has said it's been tested and verified to work properly in solo, but no one other than QA at Frontier has gotten more than 13 data packs in solo mode because the obelisks never reactivate. They do in open and PG's, but not in solo, and this gets any solo players stuck and stonewalled on the mission.

Frontier says it's working, but it isn't. Something is wrong, and I don't believe they've actually tested it on live server solo.

SmartBase

Frontier quality dept. has said it's been tested and verified to work properly in solo, but no one other than QA at Frontier has gotten more than 13 data packs in solo mode because the obelisks never reactivate. They do in open and PG's, but not in solo, and this gets any solo players stuck and stonewalled on the mission.

Frontier says it's working, but it isn't. Something is wrong, and I don't believe they've actually tested it on live server solo.

I'm just glad I'm not wasting any more time on it, it's a nice enough idea but executed in typical Frontier fashion. The game really needs more mystery but after the spectrograph nonsense and now this I think I'll just leave the problem solving to more dedicated people.

DrBo42

I'm just glad I'm not wasting any more time on it, it's a nice enough idea but executed in typical Frontier fashion. The game really needs more mystery but after the spectrograph nonsense and now this I think I'll just leave the problem solving to more dedicated people.

Yeah. The spectograph shit was absurd. Same as analyzing a star pattern in a trailer to find a correct system. If you can't use the tools within the game to solve a puzzle, you've fucked up as a developer IMO.

Top Bottom