• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

JoeMartin

Commodities removed from engineer blueprints? Efficient beam blueprint added? Time to log in again. Perma dual beam vulture here I come.

EDIT: AND DITHERING IN VR oh sweet Jesus rip another 100 hours of my life.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Thanks mate, I've been doing the tutorials as advised but I cannot pass the advanced combat training mission. The sidewinder is pitchs and yaw slow.

Lol you're not the only person who is having trouble with that, two of my friends who just started the game over the weekend also struggled heavily with it. One still hasn't finished it, the other cleared it after 10 attempts and only after we explained boosting, chaff and pip management.

Basically dump chaff when you're taking hits, learn how to distribute your power across your sys, eng and weps and abuse the boost to get better turns, you'll have a much easier time.

i forget the numbers exactly but this is a rough estimate of what pips do and why they're kinda important.

SYS: 0 pips - no bonus to shield, 1 pip - like 4% bonus, 2 pips - like 16%, 3 pips 32%, 4pips something stupid like 138%. SYS capacitor is also used up when you deploy your utility hard points like chaff and heat sinks, so more pips = faster recharge and faster shield recharge.

ENG: more pips = faster refilling eng capacitor which means more boost because it recharges faster and more top speed and makes you more maneuverable.

WEP: faster cooling for beam weapons, faster refilling capacitor, projectile weapons only need like 2 pips to be continuously fed so they don't stop shooting randomly.

Basically standard configurations are 4-0-2 to keep your weapons fed decently while keeping your shields as strong as possible. You can do 0-4-2 for maximum maneuverability. If you're running a lot of energy weapons 2-0-4 is for super aggression or 0-2-4.

Interesting...getting closer to what "The Guardians" are:

087EB5A0F81FDE39971AA938754C9F7116959A56

04FF15495471E1C74BC837FBF44A61F5588113B6

509EAF618F5274D96E3F6ACF836F183EE05AE697

BD5F6439044F4E3785854C18E6634F43BE2E587C

Yeah there's some very interesting info coming from it. The mission itself however is proving rather boring IMO. I've spent a good couple hours running stuff around there and only came away with 7 data logs. I'm probably going to just cash this in and continue to work on my personal savings I think. The most I've seen anyone have so far is 11 after most combinations. It seems to me we've got entirely new ruins to find to actually continue that mission.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Just noticed Aisling Duval is on the 3rd Powerplay spot while Arissa is at the bottom as it should be.

Frontier will make Aisling the new Emperor any second now!

skeleton-computer-300x240.jpg.2b9682244db3b60cad5a3e30a7a195b5.jpg

I have never seen Arissa not be amongst the top 5. How did she fall so low? Also, Aisling is by right the Emperor and FD better recognise that.

How's VR performance and image quality on the Vive compared to the rift now? I'd like to use the Vive for Elite when I have a chance to play in VR again.

owlbeak

Be careful flying in Meene to/from Felice Dock. Players out there ganking ships trying to dock. Happened to me, players calling the engineer a heretic. XD

Love this game!

that gold FdL goddamn.

wtf doing this now and I don't even need the money. lol

To be fair you're unlikely to get the whole 100 million unless the forums work it out in time. It's still decent pay though. You get 1 million for each entry you decode and can turn it in whenever you feel ready, but I think you only get it once. I got 7 entries and decided to take a break until people have a better idea of what's actually going on. It could prove to be easy cash so I'm waiting it out instead of turning it in immediately.

Jedi2016

No idea. I got the mission the instant I landed.

They slightly redesigned the ruins, and the new planet textures actually make the thing really hard to see until you're right on top of it. I kept looking around, thinking "I should be able to see it from here..." It doesn't stand out near as well as it used to, you could almost fly right by it.

Volimar

No idea. I got the mission the instant I landed.

They slightly redesigned the ruins, and the new planet textures actually make the thing really hard to see until you're right on top of it. I kept looking around, thinking "I should be able to see it from here..." It doesn't stand out near as well as it used to, you could almost fly right by it.

Yep. I was wondering if I had the coords flipped until bam. It's going to make finding new ruins tough.

owlbeak

Am I doing something wrong? I'm chilling out at Felice Dock and have not been given any missions.

I do have the requisite SRV, and am above Surveyor Exploration rank.

Halp
Some people on the forums saying if you've been to the ruins before, delete your data and then the mission will pop once you go back and land at the dock.

Did you guys all fly out there in your AspX's? I'm here in my Python.

I've never been to the ruins before so that shouldn't be an issue for me.

edit: worked after leaving and re-entering the port. never mind!

owlbeak

Did you guys all fly out there in your AspX's? I'm here in my Python.

I've never been to the ruins before so that shouldn't be an issue for me.
Took my Diamondback Explorer (31LY range). Took ~7 jumps from Meene. But I forgot to swap my cargo rack out and put my ADS and DSS back on, had to fly to the ruin blind. Was a huge pain in the ass haha.

The ruin mission is interesting, but difficult. There are 15 obelisks that can be scanned and they scan with a pattern (Alpha, Beta, Delta, Epsilon, or Gamma) and there are 6 items, so you have to find out which items correspond to ABDEG and then have them in cargo while scanning the corresponding obelisk in your SRV. BUT, the obelisks appear to only be scannable once per instance/load. On top of that, what the obelisks correspond to changes on each instance/load, so all these people posting their combinations will not work for everyone. Some will work by pure randomness, but that's it.

I've managed to get five so far but sadly have to go to bed.

I didn't think I'd like this game, but was really craving something space related so I bought it. I have to say, it's awesome. I finally got out of the sidewinder and into an adder. Took a bunch of jumps, but I made it to rare circuit 1. It's really satisfying when you're finally able to jump out of those first few systems. I'm not really sure what you're supposed to do on that circuit though lol. But all in all, I'm hooked!

Volimar

Took my Diamondback Explorer (31LY range). Took ~7 jumps from Meene. But I forgot to swap my cargo rack out and put my ADS and DSS back on, had to fly to the ruin blind. Was a huge pain in the ass haha.

The ruin mission is interesting, but difficult. There are 15 obelisks that can be scanned and they scan with a pattern (Alpha, Beta, Delta, Epsilon, or Gamma) and there are 6 items, so you have to find out which items correspond to ABDEG and then have them in cargo while scanning the corresponding obelisk in your SRV. BUT, the obelisks appear to only be scannable once per instance/load. On top of that, what the obelisks correspond to changes on each instance/load, so all these people posting their combinations will not work for everyone. Some will work by pure randomness, but that's it.

I've managed to get five so far but sadly have to go to bed.

For people who hate combat logging and mode switch mission stacking, they sure seem to want to remind you that logging resets your instance.

I didn't think I'd like this game, but was really craving something space related so I bought it. I have to say, it's awesome. I finally got out of the sidewinder and into an adder. Took a bunch of jumps, but I made it to rare circuit 1. It's really satisfying when you're finally able to jump out of those first few systems. I'm not really sure what you're supposed to do on that circuit though lol. But all in all, I'm hooked!

Welcome, CMDR. Add me (Heavenly Hammer) for new recruit care packages (gold bars).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
How in the world would a vulture power a 3rd weapon (class 5 no less)? It can barely power the 2 it has.

Arulan

Skimming the surface of planets with FA off is so much fun.

After trying a few HUD color submissions, I decided to make my own with the editor and landed on something I really like, especially for VR.

Code:
      <MatrixRed>    0, 1, 1    </MatrixRed>
      <MatrixGreen> 1, 0.50, 0       </MatrixGreen>
      <MatrixBlue>   0.50, 0, 0  </MatrixBlue>

I keep putting off jumping back into this game for when I have VR. But I'm starting to feel like that may not happen for years, at least until the Vive 2 is released. I should probably just jump back in. Going to try and lure my buddy back in as well.

owlbeak

For people who hate combat logging and mode switch mission stacking, they sure seem to want to remind you that logging resets your instance.

Should say I didn't log out and reload due to attempting to mission stack and/or get more money, but because the obelisk wasn't scannable again and someone on the forum said you'd have to reload to be able to have it activate a second time.

Widge

This is going to sound a bit noobish so forgive my terminology here.

I've played this for a few hours. I can get around, A to B, do a "deliver this here" mission fine.

I then accept ones which are along the lines of "Go to X system and do a thing there". Now, I'm not entirely sure what I am meant to be doing. I jump in, find a few points of interest, do things but nothing I do seems to be mission related. What is the correct course of action I am meant to be taking?

SmartBase

I have 13 bits of data from the ancient ruins site after trying every possible combo on every obelisk. Now what? There are no clues as to where another site might be other than vague mentions of interstellar travel and continental divides in a few of the data entries, that doesn't exactly narrow it down.

owlbeak

I've played this for a few hours. I can get around, A to B, do a "deliver this here" mission fine.

I then accept ones which are along the lines of "Go to X system and do a thing there". Now, I'm not entirely sure what I am meant to be doing. I jump in, find a few points of interest, do things but nothing I do seems to be mission related. What is the correct course of action I am meant to be taking?
Assuming it is like "Go to X system and locate Y (black boxes, for instance, or any other item), you want to go to that system and fly around in supercruise while keeping an eye on your navigation panel. You'll see Unidentified Signal Sources (USS) pop up and you'll want to select those and drop into them until you find what you are looking for. There are hints when you scan the USS that will tell you if you should investigate or move on, like say you're looking for black boxes, you won't want to drop into USSs with a high threat level, since they'll be located at wreckage sites. The descriptions of the USS will also help, like "Degraded Transmissions" and such.

While talking about USSs, the higher threat and the stronger the signal source, the more likely you are to drop in and find a wing full of hostile NPCs, so just pay attention so you don't accidentally make a huge, costly mistake. Or bring some friends with you. :)

danowat

Banned
Ufffff, losing hours worth of exploration data because you decided to fight the interdictor rather than cut and run.

Noob mistake, you live and learn.

owlbeak

Ufffff, losing hours worth of exploration data because you decided to fight the interdictor rather than cut and run.

Noob mistake, you live and learn.

Ouch :(. Yeah, huge mistake. Never fight with a computer full of Exp. data, not worth the chance something will go wrong and you'll lose it all. Sorry for your loss!

How in the world would a vulture power a 3rd weapon (class 5 no less)? It can barely power the 2 it has.

???

Military modules =/= hardpoints.

EDIT: To further clarify, military module slots allow additional hull reinforcement packages, module reinforcement packages, or shield cell banks.

Some missions will only update when you scan a Nav Beacon which will always be by the main Star of the system. You will need to drop into the Nav beacon, scan it like you would a ship and your mission should update. If it tells you to go to a planet in that system that does not require a landing just supercruise in orbit around that planet and your mission should update with a USS.

What is the FAS vs FDL situation now with the balance changes? I love the FDL hard points but I the FAS was always very strong and with the buff, it should be even stronger.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What is the FAS vs FDL situation now with the balance changes? I love the FDL hard points but I the FAS was always very strong and with the buff, it should be even stronger.

I'd still say the FdL is still competitive with the FAS, the huge hard point on the FdL makes a significant difference especially when it comes to tearing down shields, the FdL's main advantage is it's ridiculous shield strength which the FAS can't really match. However the FAS has a ton more hull strength now. And you can use some of the old hull strength slots to fit in shield cell banks for a fairly shit but rather sturdy 250 MJ of shield, firing the 5A SCB alone would full charge the shield, but firing it with a 4A as well would make your shields briefly unbreakable, the problem if you're gonna have to dump your SCB's sooner rather than later. Overall it's probably better to fit a bi-weave and pump up the hull reinforcement packages and maybe even a module reinforcement one.

As far as raw damage output goes, you could fit dual adv plasma accelerators on it and multi cannons in the mediums and have a force of destruction unlike the world has ever seen.

I think i'll still mainly fly my FdL but I am considering finishing up my fed rank to get a FAS, even though the gunship probably benefited the most from this change.

Volimar

Should say I didn't log out and reload due to attempting to mission stack and/or get more money, but because the obelisk wasn't scannable again and someone on the forum said you'd have to reload to be able to have it activate a second time.

I wasn't picking at you, I meant the devs hate it.

owlbeak

I wasn't picking at you, I meant the devs hate it.
Oh I gotcha. I misread! :)

So I currently have a DBX because I love the way the ship looks (those wings!) but I think when I get home I am going to pick up an Asp finally. DBX is killing me at the ruins site because I either have to choose between having an ADS and DSS and zero cargo, or no scanners and 2 or 4 cargo. It's just not practical anymore when I am far away from a station and stumble across something and have no cargo space. :(

I'd still say the FdL is still competitive with the FAS, the huge hard point on the FdL makes a significant difference especially when it comes to tearing down shields, the FdL's main advantage is it's ridiculous shield strength which the FAS can't really match. However the FAS has a ton more hull strength now. And you can use some of the old hull strength slots to fit in shield cell banks for a fairly shit but rather sturdy 250 MJ of shield, firing the 5A SCB alone would full charge the shield, but firing it with a 4A as well would make your shields briefly unbreakable, the problem if you're gonna have to dump your SCB's sooner rather than later. Overall it's probably better to fit a bi-weave and pump up the hull reinforcement packages and maybe even a module reinforcement one.

As far as raw damage output goes, you could fit dual adv plasma accelerators on it and multi cannons in the mediums and have a force of destruction unlike the world has ever seen.

I think i'll still mainly fly my FdL but I am considering finishing up my fed rank to get a FAS, even though the gunship probably benefited the most from this change.

Plus the FAS has a silly rate of turn for its size. It just locks in on targets and doesn't let go, much like a great big Vulture. The only downside is that you're almost always taking hull damage while fighting.

Top Bottom