• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

DrBo42

I want to love VoiceAttack, I just can't deal with the odd spurious command getting triggered.

I thought that maybe its just not having a good enough mic (I thought the Steelseries Siberia headset would be good enough, but nope).

When a doorslam from another part of the house gets picked up and recognised as "Boost" something is wrong wrong WRONG!

(And it's only VA that does this, dictation and speech recognition is fine.)

I don't really come across that maybe because I did the Windows bs training thing? But for stuff that could potentially get me killed, I stay away from 1 syllable.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I don't really come across that maybe because I did the Windows bs training thing? But for stuff that could potentially get me killed, I stay away from 1 syllable.

I've done the training several times, have flawless speech recognition for general "Windows" use (Cortana, dictation etc.).

It's only VA that seems to trigger at the oddest times, I've seen triggers (both recognised and unrecognised) when there has been no sound at all to trigger anything, plus triggers from putting my cup down a little harder than normal, and these are not just single syllable commands either, I'm seeing the same for sentence based commands like "Retract Landing Gear", where nothing other than a bump or nothing at all even triggers it, so its either a software, or filtering issue.

It's very odd.

I can only think there's an electrical / noise issue, but then I'd expect that to happen when I use speech recognition elsewhere too, and that isn't happening.

Until I fix it I'm just using Roccat Power Grid instead.

DrBo42

Have you tried confidence limits to VA? Won't trigger the command unless it's X% confident in what it hears. Hopefully that's still a thing. I have banged something and had VA recognize it as a command though. Super rare which is surprising considering I'm using a blue yeti which has 0 noise cancelling.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Have you tried confidence limits to VA? Won't trigger the command unless it's X% confident in what it hears. Hopefully that's still a thing. I have banged something and had VA recognize it as a command though. Super rare which is surprising considering I'm using a blue yeti which has 0 noise cancelling.

Oh, no, I have not. thanks for the pointer, will give that a try!

Kaji AF16

Hey guys help me decide. I have the game on xbox with the horizon expansion. I have since built a gaming pc and I barely play on xbox anymore. I really want to play a space game but I dont know if I should buy this again with Horizons. I should start from the beginning. Is there a way to get a lot of money in the game relatively quickly?

I´m playing on Xbox (bought it last week) and loving it. My main fear was not being able to command the ships properly with the controllers, but it has been very confortable. In a week of moderate play I made approximately two million credits through space trucking and bought a Cobra MK III. I haven´t yet checked the fastest ways for making money.

That said, I don´t know how healthy the console community is in comparison to the PC one.

I hadn´t enjoyed a space sim like this since Freespace 2. ED is giving me some mind-blowing moments between relatively peaceful periods of travelling with cargo, checking the navegation panel, exploring the galaxy...
I am strongly recommending it to close friends who were brutally dissapointed by No Man´s Sky.

Osiris

Just got interdicted right as I entered Frameshift, right next to a Star!, there is nothing worse than trying to escape interdiction in a Star's chromosphere!

"It's getting hot in here, lets take off all our clothes!"

Came out damaged with about 4% hull left and everything getting nasty.

Was too damaged to just give in to the interdiction, I'd have been dead in 2 shots, and thought I was dead anyway.

Was thrilling!

owlbeak

Just got interdicted right as I entered Frameshift, right next to a Star!, there is nothing worse than trying to escape interdiction in a Star's chromosphere!

"It's getting hot in here, lets take off all our clothes!"

Came out damaged with about 4% hull left and everything getting nasty.

Was too damaged to just give in to the interdiction, I'd have been dead in 2 shots, and thought I was dead anyway.

Was thrilling!
Hahaha, that truly is the worst. Usually if that is happening in SC near a star, I just fly right at the star so it drops me out in an instance by myself.

I was playing the other night and out in the middle of nowhere, far outside the bubble and ran into an NPC who tried to interdict me right by a star. I had a lot of exploration data and an Unknown Artifact on board, and I panicked. You can tell in the video right when I panic (wearing Oculus, so you can see rapid head movement) when I realize he is swooping in behind me to interdict me. I forgot to fly toward the star in this instance haha. One of the more heart-pounding moments I have ever had in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXqIf-NEtLQ

Havoc2049

Hey guys help me decide. I have the game on xbox with the horizon expansion. I have since built a gaming pc and I barely play on xbox anymore. I really want to play a space game but I dont know if I should buy this again with Horizons. I should start from the beginning. Is there a way to get a lot of money in the game relatively quickly?

Since you already own it on the XB1, just go with that version for now. If you really get into Elite and feel you want to take it to the next level, then get the PC version and a HOTAS.

LeBart

I'll never know how you guys fly ships that aren't the big 3, an Asp or an FDL. Keelback? Really? Haha.

I still don't have enough to buy one of the big 3, or even an FDL. I'll get there eventually, but I'd rather have a very slow progression (that goes pretty well with the slow development) than to spend all my time with the game grinding ranks and credits. That sounds like a miserable experience.

I still don't have enough to buy one of the big 3, or even an FDL. I'll get there eventually, but I'd rather have a very slow progression (that goes pretty well with the slow development) than to spend all my time with the game grinding ranks and credits. That sounds like a miserable experience.

And people are actually wondering how so many people are burning out on the game and posting negative reviews on steam after 500 hours of playtime ^^...

I'm doing the same as you, playing slowly and trying out as many ships as possible. I'll end up spending dozens or hundreds of hours in the big ships anyway at one point (and the Keelback is plenty big IMO ;P).

DrBo42

If I could turn back time...

It's a sad result of playing since Alpha/Beta builds. That and the game having 0 money sinks.

HCS Voice Packs news:

Looks like my Eden HCS voice pack has been updated with plugin support for VA & Elite Dangerous. It's now pulling data for when certain things happen in-game and giving automatic feedback. Heat warnings, automatically deploying hardpoints when you're interdicted by someone that's not military/authority etc. Automatic sound responses for shield loss and gain. Doesn't look like they have the recordings for them yet but pretty damn cool that it's scraping from the game. Only one of their packs to have these plugins at the moment, they're updating the rest.

owlbeak

And people are actually wondering how so many people are burning out on the game and posting negative reviews on steam after 500 hours of playtime ^^...

I'm doing the same as you, playing slowly and trying out as many ships as possible. I'll end up spending dozens or hundreds of hours in the big ships anyway at one point (and the Keelback is plenty big IMO ;P).

Yeah, I don't get the race to the top either. No wonder people get bored. My ship progression since Dec. 2014 has been Sidewinder->Eagle (briefly)->Adder->Viper Mk III->Vulture->Diamondback Explorer (as secondary ship)->Asp (traded in DBX last week).

I'm in no rush to get the best ships. I'm really enjoying my time in the ones I've had and they're great.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It's a sad result of playing since Alpha/Beta builds. That and the game having 0 money sinks.

It's why I keep wishing fdev would just retool engineers to only require large sums of credits, especially with how ubiquitous engineered ships are. Grinding for materials wastes my time not my resources, currently engineers are 3 grinds for weird things rather than ever using credits.

First you have to grind to unlock them
Then you have to grind reputation for better blueprints
Then you have to grind materials to make the upgrades

It's a system that's a bit too far removed from the core gameplay goal of making credits, and while I like the variety in gameplay unlocking them brings collecting materials is awful.

Woorloog

Banned
Is there any real incentive to use lesser ships assuming access to biggest ones?

One thing EVE Online got absolutely right is that all ship classes (frigate, cruiser, battleship, etc.) have their own role where they excel and that well fitted and flown ship can more or less beat anything else, allowing players do use what fits their style best.

DrBo42

Is there any real incentive to use lesser ships assuming access to biggest ones?

One thing EVE Online got absolutely right is that all ship classes (frigate, cruiser, battleship, etc.) have their own role where they excel and that well fitted and flown ship can more or less beat anything else, allowing players do use what fits their style best.

No, there's no real rock/paper/scissors ship dynamic in this game because of the size limitation. Everything is below frigate? size in Elite outside the NPC capital ships.

Woorloog

Banned
No, there's no real rock/paper/scissors ship dynamic in this game because of the size limitation. Everything is below frigate? size in Elite outside the NPC capital ships.

I don't think EVE has RPS system to ships. Properly equipped ships can deal with anything, though may be specialized.

But you're basically saying there is little reason to fly, say, a Cobra if you have an Anaconda?

Woorloog

Banned
I understood the Anaconda can be more or less fitted for anything, being a multi-role corvette.
(That Cobra was just the first ship that came to my mind that wasn't the Sidewinder.)

DrBo42

I don't think EVE has RPS system to ships. Properly equipped ships can deal with anything, though may be specialized.

But you're basically saying there is little reason to fly, say, a Cobra if you have an Anaconda?

I highly disagree with that from what I've played of EVE in fleets. I mean sure you can swarm a ship down with something that isn't a proper counter but ship classes are meant to have a certain dynamic.

I want to love VoiceAttack, I just can't deal with the odd spurious command getting triggered.

I thought that maybe its just not having a good enough mic (I thought the Steelseries Siberia headset would be good enough, but nope).

When a doorslam from another part of the house gets picked up and recognised as "Boost" something is wrong wrong WRONG!

(And it's only VA that does this, dictation and speech recognition is fine.)

I thought you could set up voice attack to not record/take your command until you pressed a button? Is this not true?

I was thinking about getting it with a voice pack, but don't want it to be open mic if you will. I would rather have a button to open the channel to make commands.

DrBo42

I thought you could set up voice attack to not record/take your command until you pressed a button? Is this not true?

I was thinking about getting it with a voice pack, but don't want it to be open mic if you will. I would rather have a button to open the channel to make commands.

Interesting, haven't seen that. Let me look.

Edit: Yeah, you can.

6a5c6bef36.png

Brought like 4 friends with me into the fold over the last week. We're all going back in together now. Is there any way for me to, clean slate and start over with them?

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Sorry everyone. I tried, I really tried. At 98 minutes played (per Steam) I threw in the towel. This game is just too dense and complex for me.

I've got such fond memories of games like Privateer and was hoping I could get sucked in and become my own Han Solo. Maybe I'll be able to man up enough again in the future. Please forgive me.

akira28

Sorry everyone. I tried, I really tried. At 98 minutes played (per Steam) I threw in the towel. This game is just too dense and complex for me.

I've got such fond memories of games like Privateer and was hoping I could get sucked in and become my own Han Solo. Maybe I'll be able to man up enough again in the future. Please forgive me.

go in with a plan and a guide next time. I gave up my first character, when I crashed into a sun after making 50+ ~3ly jumps to nowhere. Weeks later, I did some wiki reading to get an idea of how I wanted to play and started new. Once you get to a decent trio of relatively inexpensive ships to expand and kit out for the various game occupations and tasks, you may want to stick it out.

Get a Sidewinder > Cobra > Viper > Keelback and you can pretty much dive deep into everything relatively quickly, no ranking or real grinding involved. Its easy to just get stuck in between stars with no idea of what to do or any motivation to do anything anyway. Once you get beyond wonder, greed, or curiosity there's not a whole lot of plot and game structure to guide you. Just you, your spaceship, your own human motivations, and a gigantic stellar sandbox.

Then after 1500 hours you can decide ultimately you love/hate the game.

danowat

Banned

It's as dense and complex as you want to make it, as long as you've got the basics down, it's really not that difficult to get your head around.

What specifically is giving you problems?

Burny

I don't know whose job it would be to forgive you, but from trying to explain the basics to a colleague who recently got the game, I can understand why one would give up after less than two hours. While the new tutorial missions are great for Elite's lowly mission standards, they only explain the absolute basics and can't compensate a terrible default control layout.

It sounds like you got a refund, but if ever you get the itch to try again, just ask somebody you know who already plays to show you around. It's unfortunate, but for today's perpetual "early access" games (which is very much true for Elite), wiki-ing and asking around is the new intro mission. ;)

DrBo42

Should come back in a few years when you could actually be more like Han Solo hanging out in dirty bars looking for contracts. We're nowhere near that yet.

Osiris

Oh man, just found a graphics tweak that improves the experience for me a million fold, makes space proper black, with the contrast from sunlight much starker and lifelike without losing too much of the galactic background. (You lose some though)

Not EDFX, I was already running that, and whilst an improvement over the vanilla graphics it was still a little more washed out than I'd like on my monitor.

It's called "VibranceGUI" (Ignore the CSGO part of the image, it's been updated to work with all programs), and forces games to use nVidias Digital Vibrance (or AMD's equivilent) setting in full screen games (Something that hasn't worked for me in Win 10 for a while).

Just click the add button, and point it at your EliteDangerous64.exe and up your ingame gamma a touch to compensate (Or things get TOO black!).

Looks fantastic!

(Uploading some test footage to Youtube now, will post it when complete)

Re-downloaded and made a bunch of cash yesterday, about 60+ million. I got stuck on something that I can't figure out though. My federal rank is at 100% on Cadet. How do I make it tick over? I want to work towards the Corvette.

Burny

Re-downloaded and made a bunch of cash yesterday, about 60+ million. I got stuck on something that I can't figure out though. My federal rank is at 100% on Cadet. How do I make it tick over? I want to work towards the Corvette.

Talk to us, the less privileged ones! What's the cash mine you mined? :p

As for rank progression, once you hit 100% for the next rank, you should get federal navy progression (or some such) missions spawning for you in mission boards. Taking and completing one will promote you to the next military rank.

Added some tranducers to my office chair specifically to increase the immersion when playing Elite Dangerous. Very happy with the results and wanted to share with other Elite players. Very easy project. Feeling the FSD charge up or the boosters kick in is great. Only wish I had done it sooner.

XiaNaphryz pointed me in the right direction.

So thanks for the link. I ended up using this Reddit post (link HERE).

A few pics:

Talk to us, the less privileged ones! What's the cash mine you mined? :p

As for rank progression, once you hit 100% for the next rank, you should get federal navy progression (or some such) missions spawning for you in mission boards. Taking and completing one will promote you to the next military rank.

I think I got lucky. I had two passenger missions show up with multiple targets in close range rather than 10,000+ly, both with a 20+ million payout, then did a few 5 million ones on the side. Thanks! Found one finally and made midshipman. I should probably buy a cargo ship and look for donation missions I guess too boost it a bit since it's a bit slow progressing.

Lurch666

This was me.Couldn't get anywhere and it bugged me making money was SO much harder than loosing it.

then I followed the first part of this guide:

https://youtu.be/PkuXoLf81pM

The later ones no longer work because of changes to the game but this gave me the start I needed.
You just fly to any gas giant with rings and once you get near there will be extraction points that appear on you list of locations on the left screen of your cockpit.
You can easily make 1-2 mill to get a viper and kit it out to do the current alien artefact mission.

It is completely likely that none of the ships from the official ED:RPG will actually make it in-game, but thought some of these were interesting. A few are the names of ships from prior Elite/Frontier games:

Merlin
Mamba Mk II
Moray Starboat
Imperial Explorer

Sibylus

Banned
i ultimately decided to pick up a few long-range deliveries from the Pleiades to the bubble to make a million or so credits, brought Farseer the meta-alloys (didn't find any barnacles or aliens, so bought one outright from a surface station), and now playing around with engineer upgrades for the first time. FD removing the cumbersome commodities requirements finally got me to check out this new feature at last :p

Sibylus

Banned
Does she not give rep/things for exploration data anymore? Universal Cartographics is down so I just ground my way up to level 5 access with a lot of disposable upgrades (aiming for level 5 FSD range, have level 2 atm). The perks of being 1000/1000 on materials!

e: lol it didn't turn on until I relogged. WP Frontier.

Top Bottom