• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Havoc2049

I joined the Empire and I'm now starting to get into the Empire specific ships. The Imperial Eagle looks so damn cool and is uber-fun to fly. It's also nice that its stats are a little beefier than a normal Eagle.

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

The first time I took my Imperial Eagle for a spin I met up with an Imperial Capital Class ship, the Artemesia, chillin' on the dark side of a planet.
Elite%20Dangerous%20Imperial%20Eagle%20%20The%20Artemesia_zpsimbonjxj.png

Are there a set amount of Capital Class ships in the Elite Dangerous universe?

Does maxing out superpower rep offer any benefits? Slowly approaching max with the federation by doing all these missions from Sol. I'm having a hard time leaving this place with all these stations sitting side by side like this. Perfect for grinding rep.

BizzyBum

Couple questions regarding VR:

1. How do you use the galaxy map with this?

2. For those with a 1080, what's the highest settings you can use and still maintain 90fps? I tried running VR Ultra, 1.5 supersampling via the Oculus debug tool, and running EDFX Deep Space 3.0 and it seems to dip bad when I tried the SRV training module.

3. What FoV do you use? Default?

JoeMartin

The mouse is functionally useless in the galaxy map because you can't accurately determine what is being moused over in a three dimensional space with a free floating reference point. You have to drive the camera as you would the ship with directional thrusters. Zoom in far enough and there will be markers placed on the plane which you can navigate the center selector to for the purposes of selecting a system.

Havoc2049

Does anyone know of a good place to rep empire rep since the mission nerf? It's been taking forever and a year...

I think the HIP 10716 to Wu Guinagi Data and Commodity (Data only, if you have a ship with little cargo space) mission loop is still the best option. Once you get your faction rank up, you'll also make around 200,000 - 400,000 credits each loop as well. The whole loop consists of two jumps, four space station stops and one planetary landing. If you get bored, you can also make a 6-8 jump Transport run back to the bubble for usually a million+ credits. There is usually some kind of civil war going on as well, for some combat missions to break up the monotony.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I joined the Empire and I'm now starting to get into the Empire specific ships. The Imperial Eagle looks so damn cool and is uber-fun to fly. It's also nice that its stats are a little beefier than a normal Eagle.

I keep tip toeing around having an imp eagle around for fun because the courier is like the same thing but with ridiculous shield strength, tons of utility hard points and 3 medium hard points for weapons.

http://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/outfit...5l3d5s8f21b2e2e00B427272j66.Iw18kA==.AwgsIy1I.

I feel like this would be a lot of fun.

SmartBase

What’s hilarious is that the same dev said this just a few days ago, amongst countless pleas from players claiming it was bugged in solo:

So I guess “thoroughly tested” really wasn’t very thorough at all now, was it?

Frontier has some of the best art and sound devs in the game, but their huge QA problems really dampen it all, every single update. Every. Single. Update. I wish they would get a handle on it.

Disappointing but not surprising. I have just under three weeks left in the mission timer but I doubt it'll be fixed within that window. It's reasonably interesting content too (by FD standards), shame.

I think the HIP 10716 to Wu Guinagi Data and Commodity (Data only, if you have a ship with little cargo space) mission loop is still the best option. Once you get your faction rank up, you'll also make around 200,000 - 400,000 credits each loop as well. The whole loop consists of two jumps, four space station stops and one planetary landing. If you get bored, you can also make a 6-8 jump Transport run back to the bubble for usually a million+ credits. There is usually some kind of civil war going on as well, for some combat missions to break up the monotony.

I've done that area before the nerf, progress was slow but constant even if it was repetitive as all hell. Usually I take an AspX down there and I can make things in short jumps. I should probably have like a fighter of some kind like a Cobra III or maybe even a Fer de Lance towed there for those fighting missions but it's always a pain to have to re-engineer a new ship...

Thanks for the advice!

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Decided to take my pretty much stock Cobra Mk. III out to Synuefe to check out this alien ruins thing, man it's further than I thought it was, halfway there and bad scooping technique & pirate atacks already have me down to 69% hull and a few broken modules, this was unwise :p

On the plus side, I should unlock Elvira Martuuk on this trip is nothing else, might cost me my ship though . In fact given my lack of cargo I'm wondering if suicide might not be the best route back :p

Things I wish I'd upgraded before heading out:

Fuel Scoop from the 1E I chucked in, My Discovery Scanner & a bigger packed lunch :D

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Decided to take my pretty much stock Cobra Mk. III out to Synuefe to check out this alien ruins thing, man it's further than I thought it was, halfway there and bad scooping technique & pirate atacks already have me down to 69% hull and a few broken modules, this was unwise

I love hearing non-explorers talk about distances in Elite, it reminds me of perspective. I so often forget that a place like the Synufe Ruins, which are 386lys from SOL, is “far away” for many players. To me in my Asp it’s just a ten minute trip from the bubble, I’ve been back and forth to and from the ruins dozens of times now.

A week or so ago I was out there and a commander in a stock white Clipper showed up, he said it was his first time out there, and that it was the farthest he’d ever flown from civilization. I told him that I loved my Clipper in black but I don’t fly it much anymore. He said it must look great in black and that he’d never seen a Clipper that color yet. I asked him if he could wait half an hour I’d run back and bring it out to the ruins, and he thought I was kidding and told me “good luck”. So I went back to Jameson Memorial, switched to my Clipper, and was back at the ruins in a bit over half an hour, and this utterly amazed the Clipper commander. He couldn’t fathom how I’d managed such a trip in so short a time.

The galaxy in Elite must seem impossibly immense to so many of the game’s players, but I think it’s kind of neat how different peoples impressions of the galaxy’s size can be.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Hehe, I played a few weeks in the beta when the playable "bubble" was tiny (Can't recall how small, was just before the expansion of that bubble to 100ly or something like that?)

Then stopped playing and pretty much forgot about owning the game until last weekend and the Thargoid( or are they?) appearance peaked my interest again, got Horizons and have been enjoying it again so far, but yeah, the scale in a non-Explorer equipped ship is nuts.

I've really got to get a handle on 'safe' fuel scooping, not sure what happened but was at a comfortable 3.75ls from the star, heat steady at 62% and nipped for a piss, came down stairs to the sound of alarms, heat at 128% and had only got to 3.74ls from the star, didn't realise the safe/unsafe distances were so black & white, thought I'd have at least enough time for a bio break :p

Lost pulse lasers, ECM's, & most modules now at around 30-40% and hull at 68%

Diary entry reads "Captains Log: Have new tan, ship needs a bit of loving care, might head home and reconsider life goals" :p

I suck as a starship captain, if I had a crew they would have ejected me in a cargo pod by now :D

Volimar

I'm bored and thinking of getting involved in power play. Anyone here cheerleading a particular power that could use my (occasional) aid?

Hehe, I played a few weeks in the beta when the playable "bubble" was tiny (Can't recall how small, was just before the expansion of that bubble to 100ly or something like that?)

Then stopped playing and pretty much forgot about owning the game until last weekend and the Thargoid( or are they?) appearance peaked my interest again, got Horizons and have been enjoying it again so far, but yeah, the scale in a non-Explorer equipped ship is nuts.

I've really got to get a handle on 'safe' fuel scooping, not sure what happened but was at a comfortable 3.75ls from the star, heat steady at 62% and nipped for a piss, came down stairs to the sound of alarms, heat at 128% and had only got to 3.74ls from the star, didn't realise the safe/unsafe distances were so black & white, thought I'd have at least enough time for a bio break :p

Diary entry reads "Captains Log: Have new tan, ship needs a bit of loving care, might head home and reconsider life goals" :p

I suck as a starship captain, if I had a crew they would have ejected me in a cargo pod by now :D

You can actually filter your flight plan to use only scoopable stars.

JoeMartin

Theres only a black and white divide for where you can stay in supercruise. In general the closer you are to a star the hotter your ship will run, this too interacts with the temperature of the star and its size, as well as the heat efficiency of your ship. You'll notice that on some stars you can scoop at max rate while stabilizing at a temperature below 100%, while others will push you over the limit in seconds. Even when not in supercruise this applies - your ship will run hotter at a nav beacon than in deeper space, for example.

EDIT: Also know there is no absolute safe distance from a star, but is better exercised as a relative feel thing (look at the size of VY Canis Majoris - your fuel scoop activates at 5100 ls out).

I'm bored and thinking of getting involved in power play. Anyone here cheerleading a particular power that could use my (occasional) aid?

You can actually filter your flight plan to use only scoopable stars.

Indeed, but it's needlessly slow. IMO It's a lot better to just take the fastest route and keep an eye on what you're jumping into. If it's not scoopable just disengage and scour the map quickly for a stop off then remap the original flight. Having said that though I use an Asp, soon to be swapping for Anaconda, or even a Corvette should I ever manage to find a good way to level federation rep. Cobra's probably have less luxury on that end, but IIRC the jump range is still very reasonable for a multi role ship.

I've pledged to the Emperor because she has nice bounty hunting perks that go well with how I already play, I don't really participate in Power Play too much though. Starting fresh, I would look at the exclusive modules each power has and see which one looks like your style.

I love hearing non-explorers talk about distances in Elite, it reminds me of perspective. I so often forget that a place like the Synufe Ruins, which are 386lys from SOL, is “far away” for many players. To me in my Asp it’s just a ten minute trip from the bubble, I’ve been back and forth to and from the ruins dozens of times now.

A week or so ago I was out there and a commander in a stock white Clipper showed up, he said it was his first time out there, and that it was the farthest he’d ever flown from civilization. I told him that I loved my Clipper in black but I don’t fly it much anymore. He said it must look great in black and that he’d never seen a Clipper that color yet. I asked him if he could wait half an hour I’d run back and bring it out to the ruins, and he thought I was kidding and told me “good luck”. So I went back to Jameson Memorial, switched to my Clipper, and was back at the ruins in a bit over half an hour, and this utterly amazed the Clipper commander. He couldn’t fathom how I’d managed such a trip in so short a time.

The galaxy in Elite must seem impossibly immense to so many of the game’s players, but I think it’s kind of neat how different peoples impressions of the galaxy’s size can be.

How is the Clipper? Want to get into Imp ships, money is the issue for Cutter now (and rank grind). Clipper does interest me.

Osiris

Theres only a black and white divide for where you can stay in supercruise. In general the closer you are to a star the hotter your ship will run, this too interacts with the temperature of the star and its size, as well as the heat efficiency of your ship. You'll notice that on some stars you can scoop at max rate while stabilizing at a temperature below 100%, while others will push you over the limit in seconds. Even when not in supercruise this applies - your ship will run hotter at a nav beacon than in deeper space, for example.

EDIT: Also know there is no absolute safe distance from a star, but is better exercised as a relative feel thing (look at the size of VY Canis Majoris - your fuel scoop activates at 5100 ls out).

Yeah, not long after posting I realized that the black/white nature I was seeing was because of the small size of the stars I was scooping which makes for a thinner (relatively) corona and the fact that I was taking a path straight through the corona instead of taking a more circular route around it, haven't had that problem with bigger stars and I have started being more careful with my scooping path.

Had an awesome experience at a very active Orange Giant (Type K), saw three different absolutely massive CME's while scooping, do CME's increase heat if you pass through them? (I remember DB hinting long ago that this might be added, don't know if it ever was though) Anyone?

DrBo42

Had an awesome experience at a very active Orange Giant (Type K), saw three different absolutely massive CME's while scooping, do CME's increase heat if you pass through them? (I remember DB hinting long ago that this might be added, don't know if it ever was though) Anyone?

Not implemented, no.

Osiris

Made it!
Desktop_01_18_2017_15_53_12_01.pnghttp:

Touch Down!
Desktop_01_18_2017_15_58_59_03.png

My first planetary landing too, will look for the ruins after work, figure my chances of making it home are better than they were making it here :p

DrBo42

Someone linked to the roadmap from Newsletter #29 way back in the day (Back in Premium Beta). Interesting to look at now. Seems mostly on track.

FD said:
We have regularly said that depending on the level of success of Elite: Dangerous we intend to continue expanding it with new content and new features.
We plan to follow that same incremental development philosophy that we've done throughout our Alpha and Beta phases, and continue to significantly enhance the game via further expansions post-launch.

We do intend to release small, free updates after launch, but expansions that include significant new features and content will be charged for separately. For example, our current roadmap is to add (in no particular order):

- Landing/ driving / prospecting on airless rocky planets, moons & asteroids
- Walking around interiors and combative boarding of other ships
- Combat and other interactions with other players and AIs in the internal areas of star ports
- Accessing richly detailed planetary surfaces
- Availability of giant ‘executive control' ships to players

I don't even remember any talk of those "executive control" ships.

Yeah, I remember them discussing executive control. I hope they haven't flipped on that. Would love to hire a big crew and issue commands from the bridge of the FNS MR POOPY BUTTHOLE.

I would be surprised if space legs wasn't the area they were focusing on next. I'm sure they'd do it much like Horizons: offering a little taste at first (walk around ship, ship station hangar, etc.) and then open it up to walking on planets, EVA, combat, etc. with further iterations.

DrBo42

Yeah, I remember them discussing executive control. I hope they haven't flipped on that. Would love to hire a big crew and issue commands from the bridge of the FNS MR POOPY BUTTHOLE.

I would be surprised if space legs wasn't the area they were focusing on next. I'm sure they'd do it much like Horizons: offering a little taste at first (walk around ship, ship station hangar, etc.) and then open it up to walking on planets, EVA, combat, etc. with further iterations.

Damn it Anton.

Personally I would opt for major work being done on variety of gameplay and missions both in space and on the ground before being able to walk around. I agree their iterations with legs will be bare minimum framework and then building on to it just like everything else they've done.

Damn it Anton.

Personally I would opt for major work being done on variety of gameplay and missions both in space and on the ground before being able to walk around. I agree their iterations with legs will be bare minimum framework and then building on to it just like everything else they've done.

I hear you. I wouldn't mind one bit if half of a season was dedicated to rebuilding missions and core gameplay.

I mean, I'd mind, because it should have been in the game from day 1--but in terms of what I want, a revamp of the core gameplay would do more for me.

When we gonna be able to name our ships? They gonna make us pay for that too?

I can't remember when, but they recently noted that this is coming "soon". Not immediate future but it's not a year off or anything.

I hear you. I wouldn't mind one bit if half of a season was dedicated to rebuilding missions and core gameplay.

I mean, I'd mind, because it should have been in the game from day 1--but in terms of what I want, a revamp of the core gameplay would do more for me.

I can't remember when, but they recently noted that this is coming "soon". Not immediate future but it's not a year off or anything.

To be honest at this point I'd settle for a simple payout rebalance. Even at the higher paying end it's a total grind fest with little end in sight. Crossing the financial threshold to purchase a Conda was only a step to the cost of actually running one. Then there's the rep grind and now engineers RNG.

I feel like I'm always working towards these things but never progressing. As a result I burn out before making it to the target and also rarely participate in the actual events due to having space work to be done.

atpbx

It's not the distance, it's the incredible tedium involved in traveling.

You should be able to set a course and hit jump and the game takes care of the rest.

But the faffing around reorientating your ship, and then hitting the jump key, and the countdown and the loading screens and then reorientating your ship and then the countdown and the loading screenzzzzzzzz

If you plot a 4 jump trip you should be able to select the target system, and if your ship has the range and the fuel to get there it should take care of the in between jumps its self.

I have 300 odd (I think nearly 400) hours in ED, and that is one of the biggest reasons I won't go back to it, everything is such a massive ballache to get done.

What ever fun is gleaned from playing it is ruined in some way by bad design choices.

cyress8

Banned
It's not the distance, it's the incredible tedium involved in traveling.

You should be able to set a course and hit jump and the game takes care of the rest.

But the faffing around reorientating your ship, and then hitting the jump key, and the countdown and the loading screens and then reorientating your ship and then the countdown and the loading screenzzzzzzzz

If you plot a 4 jump trip you should be able to select the target system, and if your ship has the range and the fuel to get there it should take care of the in between jumps its self.

I have 300 odd (I think nearly 400) hours in ED, and that is one of the biggest reasons I won't go back to it, everything is such a massive ballache to get done.

What ever fun is gleaned from playing it is ruined in some way by bad design choices.

For me, I would at least like the option of just straight out jumping directly to the system using all my fuel and maybe balance it by not allowing it with FSD boosting. The amount of time I spend in a system is as long as my fsd cooldown/scoop rate. (Love the scoop on my anaconda. So fast!) I would love to lower the amount of needing to do that considerably.

It really is boring moving around.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
That moment when a close friend wants to try a new game and asks if they should buy Elite: Dangerous.

I've experienced this 3 times in the past 2 weeks and it's so painful. I'm always tip toeing around directly telling them if it's good or bad because it really just depends on so much and the type of person they are.

It really is boring moving around.

Yeah this is the part of the game that kills me each time. It also sucks that basically any content that pays reasonably well is travel heavy. Blowing stuff up is kind of fun for a bit, but the pay is bad and risk is high whereas you can do trade/passenger runs for big payouts at the cost of 90% of gameplay being in hyperspace or supercruising. It's awful design in that sense.

Though Anton is on the root of the problem. Our gameplay experience devolves into this because of the mission design being so shallow. At times I wonder of FDev even care. Just look at NPC interdiction. It may as well be removed in its current state.

DrBo42

That moment when a close friend wants to try a new game and asks if they should buy Elite: Dangerous.

BlE9mnn.gif
The answer should always be "Not yet."

It's pretty telling that the most exciting things going on in the game right now are as follows:

Ruins mystery that's nothing but text log lore is broken in a game mode.

Formidine rift mystery that's nothing but text log lore is ongoing.

Explorers use neutron boost to access previously inaccessible star cluster to take screenshots, land on same empty worlds with no content. It's also a suicide mission since there's no method of returning.

LeBart

I agree.

Whenever I recommend the game I kinda feel like I'm robbing the person of the much much better first impression they would've had if they'd waited 2 or 3 years.

Volimar

I agree.

Whenever I recommend the game I kinda feel like I'm robbing the person of the much much better first impression they would've had if they'd waited 2 or 3 years.

By the time FDev gets their shit together, Star Citizen will have gotten it's shit together and will probably be a better experience.

BlE9mnn.gif

I know this feel. This is a feel I know.

The answer should always be "Not yet."

Conversation looks like:

"Should I buy Elite Dangerous? Seems like you like it."

"Not yet...it's getting better but not ready I can't quite recommend it yet"

*Looks at Steam profile*

"...but you've played the game for 1,000 hours and you keep playing it."

"....oh yea....."

Just tell them to buy the damn game if they like space sims and space combat. Waiting for the game to be perfect is like waiting for a future-proof GPU. Don't over-complicate the shit. It's sold 2 million copies for a reason.

By the time FDev gets their shit together, Star Citizen will have gotten it's shit together and will probably be a better experience.

If Star Citizen's current flight and combat engines are anything of an indicator, I think FDev has nothing to worry about. Game's flight model and weapons feel like trash.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What I've been doing is telling people something like

"I love elite and I would recommend you give it a shot if you're remotely interested, but you have to find something to love in the game because the game won't spoon feed you anything. On top of that you have to meet the game more than half way on occasions, the amount of enjoyment you get out of elite is almost directly proportional to how much you enjoy flying digital space ships because that's 80% of the game."

DrBo42

I know this feel. This is a feel I know.

Conversation looks like:

"Should I buy Elite Dangerous? Seems like you like it."

"Not yet...it's getting better but not ready I can't quite recommend it yet"

*Looks at Steam profile*

"...but you've played the game for 1,000 hours and you keep playing it."

"....oh yea....."

Just tell them to buy the damn game if they like space sims and space combat. Waiting for the game to be perfect is like waiting for a future-proof GPU. Don't over-complicate the shit. It's sold 2 million copies for a reason.

It barely has a sufficient gameplay loop. It's not asking someone to wait until it's perfect, it's asking someone to wait until it rewards and respects your time. Not a single person I got to join me in Elite stuck with it for more than 1 week.

What I've been doing is telling people something like

"I love elite and I would recommend you give it a shot if you're remotely interested, but you have to find something to love in the game because the game won't spoon feed you anything. On top of that you have to meet the game more than half way on occasions, the amount of enjoyment you get out of elite is almost directly proportional to how much you enjoy flying digital space ships because that's 80% of the game."

Yea pretty much this.

Though I've hit 1700 hours doing like 85% combat. It's fun enough for me, as long as you don't need a plot pushing you to do things. ymmv.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Alright before engineering anything I have my combat imp eagle at 505m/s boosted speed.

If I reduce the mass on everything I think I can push 550m/s, then if I dirty drive 5 this sucker I can probably push 700.

Alright before engineering anything I have my combat imp eagle at 505m/s boosted speed.

If I reduce the mass on everything I think I can push 550m/s, then if I dirty drive 5 this sucker I can probably push 700.

I suspect so.

Just be aware: you won't use the usual A3 engine. I learned this the hard way.

I think my stripped down iEagle does 730.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Just be aware: you won't use the usual A3 engine. I learned this the hard way.

Oh I'm using the enhanced performance engine 3A heheh, thank god for the new military slot on the ieagle so I can actually keep my hull decently sturdy without using military bulkheads. Enhanced performance 2A just won't work on this if I wanna keep this thing combat worthy.

The hardest part of this is actually weight management.

I had to down class my internal fuel tank from 2c to 1c ro keep the hull mass at absolutely optimal numbers.

http://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/outfit...ktSA.H4sIAAAAAAAAA+NiEFBnYPj/nwEOABfnX6wSAAAA

Coriolis numbers are slightly off my non boosted top speed is actually 380 and boosted is 505 but it needs 2 consecutive boosts to hit it.

Kaji AF16

BlE9mnn.gif

I´m currently lobbying some thirty/forty-something, space-sim veteran friends who are on the verge of getting ED for Xbox One. They were impressed by the alien encounters and by some landing videos I uploaded, but when I admit that there are plenty of "supercruising" hours they doubt and wait before deciding the purchase.

I installed advanced equipment on my Cobra and now the difference with the starting Sidewinder is mind blowing. Now I want to test my gimball lasers with a little more combat (enough trading for the week).

Started playing again. Experienced the planetary landing, engineers and some item collection. Then I reverted back to watching netflix and space trading with my stripped down trading anaconda. I suddenly found myself with 40 more million credits, better FSD and materials after finishing the last half of The Flash season 2.

Top Bottom