• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

DrBo42

Funny enough I did in fact set it to F12. But nothing happens when I press it in game.

801bf7f160.png

There's so little discussion about this, I can't seem to find a forum anywhere mention it :(

Does it work outside the game?

Does it work outside the game?

Tried it with Arma and some other games, no dice. Obviously, there's an issue where anything nongaming isn't 3D so.

Anyway, I'm not going to keep it. It actually made me pretty Nauseous like I've experienced in the past with poor VR.

The eye tracking in conjunction with the head tracking just doesn't work on a static screen together. A big issue is looking at UI elements or glancing causes the camera to move, now I was able to compensate with some sliders to try to stop that from happening. But the delay between looking around the corners of the screen, and the camera moving is enough to cause eye strain and nausea at least for me.

It was worth a restocking fee to try it out though. Assuming they do charge me one. I'm more convinced than ever that eye tracking is key to VR's future. But I don't truly see a way forward in gaming for it without VR.

Jedi2016

The closest I've seen to that problem is TrackIR's settings, that manage to completely hijack the buttons used to control it, and no other program can use those buttons as long as TrackIR is running. Sounds like something similar may be happening there.

Anybody else notice the title of the email? "Newsletter Template"... oops.. lol.

Those Coriolis bobbleheads are actually pretty cool.. I might pick up the wireframe one.

Finding these chemical manipulators is awful. I would have happily gone for upgrading my jump range a bit and continuing to grind for cash a bit longer but this has bored me to death. Sitting in SC for an hour at a time hoping to find a USS, then hoping it's combat aftermath, then hoping the chemical manipulators will show up is way too many layers of luck applied to the most boring aspect of the game. Both my last sessions of this game have been an hour of SC with not a single combat aftermath showing up and it's drained any enthusiasm.

Finding these chemical manipulators is awful. I would have happily gone for upgrading my jump range a bit and continuing to grind for cash a bit longer but this has bored me to death. Sitting in SC for an hour at a time hoping to find a USS, then hoping it's combat aftermath, then hoping the chemical manipulators will show up is way too many layers of luck applied to the most boring aspect of the game. Both my last sessions of this game have been an hour of SC with not a single combat aftermath showing up and it's drained any enthusiasm.

You're doing it wrong, unfortunately. I too made this mistake.

The efficient way to do this is to go to an Outbreak system and shoot T7's at the convoy meet ups.

Thanks, I'll give that a go. By the way what would people suggest as weapon outfitting for a Python? I'm using 2 Large pulse lasers + two medium Pulses with a Large Multi cannon and I'm not sure it's a good choice. I found a type 9 in SC and went for the ambush and found he put up a pretty good fight surprisingly. With his ship launched fighter and missiles he was packing pretty heavy damage.

DrBo42

I keep hearing about the ability to buy modular terminals somewhere, is there any truth to that?

I'm assuming no. Anyone remember which economy and state tend to spawn them more as rewards?

theWB27

So..I just impulse bought the 60 dollar version of this game. I wanna see some stars and planets. So..what should be my focus starting out?

danowat

Banned
Bounty hunting at RE sites is where the easy money is to start with.

Plus they have the advantage of being in planet rings so they look pretty decent too.

Volimar

I went out to the Formidine Rift to help search for the settlements there. I was searching the Delta site planet when my kid came in and was talking to me and I crashed my ship...

Waaaayyyyyy back to Meene. I had spotted a few water worlds on the way too.

feelsbadman

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I played like 16 hours of the game so far and I wish I could get more into it. I love the way the game plays, I love the way it looks but...it's one of those games that is way too big for me to enjoy. I'd rather have 50 distinct systems than 400 billion randomly generated.
Then again I do not care about multiplayer a bit and that maybe wouldn't work that well with "only" 50 systems.

Still enjoy the game but I can't see myself playing it for much longer.

Fantastapotamus

That's the problem with exploration, after a few thousand systems they all kind of blur together.. lol.

I honestly feel like they started blurring together after, like 10 systems. I still think the game is super cool. Maybe one day I'll get my Freelancer 2. I've really been chasing that high ever since.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I honestly feel like they started blurring together after, like 10 systems.

The sad fact about exploration in Elite is that it's very feature starved. There just isn't any real content nor reason to go exploring, and the exploration game mechanics are basic and haven't been touched hardly at all for over two years. So, because of that dearth of content and gameplay, the only actual way to enjoy exploration in Elite is IF you are capable of making your own "content" along the way. Meaning if you are satisfied with searching for scenic places to take screenshots, or if you can find fun in hunting Earth like worlds, or if you just like looking for interesting system layouts or unique planets to land on, or if you can simply have a blast driving an SRV on a planet no one has ever seen before.

You have to make your own game and content in order to enjoy exploration in Elite. At least until Frontier someday decides to actually do some work on exploration game mechanics, but I really don't think anyone over there cares much about it, so I wouldn't expect much anytime soon.

Tried it with Arma and some other games, no dice. Obviously, there's an issue where anything nongaming isn't 3D so.

Anyway, I'm not going to keep it. It actually made me pretty Nauseous like I've experienced in the past with poor VR.

The eye tracking in conjunction with the head tracking just doesn't work on a static screen together. A big issue is looking at UI elements or glancing causes the camera to move, now I was able to compensate with some sliders to try to stop that from happening. But the delay between looking around the corners of the screen, and the camera moving is enough to cause eye strain and nausea at least for me.

It was worth a restocking fee to try it out though. Assuming they do charge me one. I'm more convinced than ever that eye tracking is key to VR's future. But I don't truly see a way forward in gaming for it without VR.

So did you use headtracking and eye tracking in conjunction? Can you use just headtracking? How was the responsiveness and accuracy of the head tracking?

If be interested just for the headtracking, since I like the idea of not having to attach anything to my headset, and going totally wireless. I have an ED tracker right now, but there's drift since my headphones were screwing up the magnetometer, so I use the firmware for the old version.

That said, 150 would be steep for just headtracking for just one game.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Exploration has really only like 4 things that make you actually wanna go out and do it.

1. Easist elite rank
2. Get cool screen shots
3. Get your name on something
4. You have an interest in space and you wanna go site see some stuff that you may have read about and see how it's done in game.

That's really it, there is no reason to go exploring for the sake of going exploring. Hell if you do go exploring most of the game stop being available to you, no longer able to participate in powerplay, no longer able to do any combat, not able to find rare things and sell them at the bubble so you don't really get to trade, and exploration data is worth fucking nothing so you're not gonna be making much money.

The problem with exploration is there isn't really a way to give it features without adding tedium. Really the only thing I could think of is fdev adding some kind of colonia type incentive where regions of space are marked out as candidates for expansion, and you have to go out there locate an area suitable for an outpost given some specific parameters on planets or something and it'd have a big payout and the chance for the outpost to be named after you.

Also now that the thargoids are a thing it'd be cool if mini thargoid drones had a chance to attack explorers so you'd actually have to prepare your explorer ship for hazards. Though if you ask me the thing really holding exploration back is that surfaces just aren't very interesting, you should be able to use a planetary scanner to reveal POI's on a planet where events can happen or find certain things.

If exploring felt like an episode of star trek that'd be the end goal i think. They could add a bunch of exploration modules that would let you land on planets and use the local resources to repair your ship with the aid of your SRV or space legs. Imagine how interesting it would be to have to use your ship launched fighter as a scouting vessel or something like that because you can't risk your damaged ship by flying through dangerous weather.

Really I think exploration should feel like survival mode.

So did you use headtracking and eye tracking in conjunction? Can you use just headtracking? How was the responsiveness and accuracy of the head tracking?

If be interested just for the headtracking, since I like the idea of not having to attach anything to my headset, and going totally wireless. I have an ED tracker right now, but there's drift since my headphones were screwing up the magnetometer, so I use the firmware for the old version.

That said, 150 would be steep for just headtracking for just one game.

I couldn't find a way to just turn the eye tracking off. You can turn off the head tracking, but it's the combination of the two I was most interested in. I do agree, having a setup for head tracking that's solid without clip on stuff would be attractive.

Exploration is pretty underwhelming, once you seen one system you pretty much seen them all. I flew out to Colonia and I’ve been here ever since because I dread going back. It was pretty much just jump>space horn>jump. Seeing a black hole or neutron star was cool at first then it just blurred together after a while. I didn’t even take the time to scan bodies, it’s just too tedious and the extra credits aren’t worth it (unless it’s an earthlike or something). There’s nothing exciting or neat to find atm, everything is pretty much the same.

danowat

Banned
Exploration is pretty underwhelming, once you seen one system you pretty much seen them all. I flew out to Colonia and I’ve been here ever since because I dread going back. It was pretty much just jump>space horn>jump. Seeing a black hole or neutron star was cool at first then it just blurred together after a while. I didn’t even take the time to scan bodies, it’s just too tedious and the extra credits aren’t worth it (unless it’s an earthlike or something). There’s nothing exciting or neat to find atm, everything is pretty much the same.

I think the fact that the time vs rewards for exploration are so low compared to other activities, it just doesn't make it a very good prospect, especially considering the price that proper exploration upgrades run at.

If the rewards were scaled better, then I could probably handle the "this system looks just like the last 10" issue.

SmartBase

It doesn't help that exploring in a Sidewinder is the same as exploring in an Anaconda, same old jumping, scooping and honking.

I get my Pack Hounds this Thursday >:)

Outbreak system? Never heard of those or convoy meet ups. How do I locate these on the map? I'm sick to death of searching for USS now.

It's one of the System State options. Where you sort by Allegiance, State, etc. I think it's the 3rd tab in the Galaxy map. You just uncheck all the boxes except Outbreak and fly to them until you see one with special convoy beacons. I still can't recall what the convoy beacons are called, but you'll know you're at the right one when you see 6 or 7 T9's.

Kill them quickly and inspect the loot. Pick up what you need. They will keep respawning. Killt hem until the cops show up. Leave and go back in. Repeat until you have as many Manipulators as you need. Then go hope.

Even better if they are Anarchy as you won't get wanted.

Wanted doesn't matter. it really doesn't. You will be in the system for an hour, lifetime. You might take a 1% hit on the major faction's rating.

Fantastapotamus

The sad fact about exploration in Elite is that it's very feature starved. There just isn't any real content nor reason to go exploring, and the exploration game mechanics are basic and haven't been touched hardly at all for over two years. So, because of that dearth of content and gameplay, the only actual way to enjoy exploration in Elite is IF you are capable of making your own "content" along the way. Meaning if you are satisfied with searching for scenic places to take screenshots, or if you can find fun in hunting Earth like worlds, or if you just like looking for interesting system layouts or unique planets to land on, or if you can simply have a blast driving an SRV on a planet no one has ever seen before.

You have to make your own game and content in order to enjoy exploration in Elite. At least until Frontier someday decides to actually do some work on exploration game mechanics, but I really don't think anyone over there cares much about it, so I wouldn't expect much anytime soon.

I'm glad people agree with me here cause that means Frontier actually has a reason to maybe to something at some point. Maybe they'll make a new game at some point and will focus more on that stuff.

I just really loved to explore all the systems in Freelancer back then cause they looked different and often there was cool shit to find (wormholes that offered quick travel to far away systems, hidden research stations, gigantic ship-wrecks etc)

E-flux

I have completely lost my steam, i'm 4k light years away from Sagittarius A and i have already visited Jaques station, the long way back is keeping me from booting up the game..

I was being facetious, of course the grind is the game.
The fun is the game being a huge sandbox with a fantastic combat system, flight controls and atmosphere as well as a good trade system (not the most complex or massive ones we had in space games so far, but still good variation and depth). And decent amounts of content for everything else. If you can't find your own fun in that and all you care about is getting into a bigger ship and getting optional upgrades, then sure, the game is only a grind.

Want to play a game where the grind REALLY is the game?
Try out something like World of Tanks. That game is in parts designed to make you suffer so you willingly spend money to skip parts of the progression system and where are consumable buyable with real currency completely defeats are large part of the game's balancing.

I have completely lost my steam, i'm 4k light years away from Sagittarius A and i have already visited Jaques station, the long way back is keeping me from booting up the game..
Get back to Jaques and suicide with a Freewinder. Not motivated for that and/or don't care about the credits you got in data? Just select self-destruct and safe yourself the time. BAM, instant teleport back to the bubble and the Thargoid fun in the next few months. Screw the digital rewards you'll lose which you won't collect anyway if you don't play the game anymore. Do something else you find fun and you'll have the money back in no time.

Or just take a break, play something else and come back to Elite when you feel like it. No reason to burn yourself out and force yourself to play without motivation.

E-flux

Get back to Jaques and suicide with a Freewinder. Not motivated for that and/or don't care about the credits you got in data? Just select self-destruct and safe yourself the time. BAM, instant teleport back to the bubble and the Thargoid fun in the next few months. Screw the digital rewards you'll lose which you won't collect anyway if you don't play the game anymore. Do something else you find fun and you'll have the money back in no time.

Or just take a break, play something else and come back to Elite when you feel like it. No reason to burn yourself out and force yourself to play without motivation.

Nah, i want to see this through to the end, it was my goal to get there when i started the game a bit before Horizons dropped and i feel like at some point i need to see this through. Maybe when my next vacation hits i will power through the jumps to see the core and then skip everything and netflix my way back to the bubble or something.

kvk1

Exploration has really only like 4 things that make you actually wanna go out and do it.

1. Easist elite rank
2. Get cool screen shots
3. Get your name on something
4. You have an interest in space and you wanna go site see some stuff that you may have read about and see how it's done in game.

5. You have about 50 hours of podcasts to burn through.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Funny enough I did in fact set it to F12. But nothing happens when I press it in game.

801bf7f160.png

There's so little discussion about this, I can't seem to find a forum anywhere mention it :(

I'm using the Tobii EyeTracker 4C since 10 days or so and at first I did not enable head tracking, now it's been 5 days with the head tracking feature enabled and can't play without it now.

I've set the recenter key to * on my keyboard and it works, as well as the toggle tracking key (set to ù), note that I'm using a French AZERTY keyboard, so these keys are on the far right of the second letter line, next to "Enter". These key are not mapped in Elite (by default Elite already uses F12 to recenter VR, maybe there's a conflict there ?).

About the head tracking + eye tracking, I've limited the eye tracking to 15 or 20° to avoid the UI to move too much when looking at the radar and other main UI panels. It moves a bit but it feels natural and smooth (responsiveness let at 40%, head at 100%).

The head tracking seem to have a little delay compared to what I've seen about TrackIR 5 on Twitch, but it's a really low delay and it's quite responsive.

I really like being able to look around with a bit of head movement in my ship and VRS looking for things on planets.

Note, I'm using a 27" 16/9 screen.

Pretty cool orrery system map concepts here, designed by a redditor: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/5piocs/orrery_system_overview_concept_community/

I particularly like this:

It reminds me the old developer vids. I can't remember if it was Braden or Brookes or what but they said something like "imagine you jump into a system and there's this huge battle you drop into because the system is in civil war". It would be fun for big system events to be more like events that you stumble upon or get pulled into. Of course, they'd need to make a way for players to avoid them, if possible. If in SC in the system, get warnings about mass lock located near X planet, etc.

If I had to rate the pilot federation ranks it would go like this:

Combat: Easily the best of the bunch. It pays well and it’s engaging. There are enough weapons to keep things interesting and each ship plays differently. Plus there is PvE and PvP.

Trade: It pays well, but it can be a bit tedious at time. The trading in this game is decent. Finding a nice trade route to do is always fun. Plus with smuggling there is always something different to do.

CQC: This is the mode I have the most fun with, however it doesn’t respect your time at all. You can only play at certain times of day since only a few people play it and the payout is complete garbage. You get around 500k credits each prestige. Each prestige takes about 30-34 hours, so yeah…

Explorer: The easiest rank, yet it’s by far the most tedious. It’s like trading, but even more boring and less paying. They added passenger missions, which helps with the payout. However, that doesn't really solve the core issues of the rank.

I'd be happy to just be able to move around in my own ship, maybe decorate my cabin or something. Anything to break up the tedium.

One of the cool things about playing in VR is that you can get up out of your chair and walk around the cabin. It's limited to the size of your play area (no teleportation or anything), but it's still really cool to get an idea of what the cabins of these ships look like.

oh my god

I'd be happy to just be able to move around in my own ship, maybe decorate my cabin or something. Anything to break up the tedium.
yeah. just walking around inside ships and walking around on landing pads would be amazing to me. don't really care if there's any on-foot gameplay at all for the first version of this, which is what they always say there has to be gameplay supporting it blahblabhalblah. I just want to take the camera for a walk.

vector824

Take it even farther, they've mentioned ship boarding in the future!

Imagine interdicting a ship, disabling the thrusters, jumping into your SLF that has the capability of attaching to the hull of the disabled ship (sending your ship back into SC), busting down the door and engaging in hand to hand (FPS) combat, taking out the other pilot and then selling his ship to the scrap yard and/or stealing the cargo.

Of course the risk here is getting killed and losing your ship in the process (or just paying funeral costs). There would be a whole new level of strategy to pirating besides limpets. And the reward is snagging an Clipper, 'Conda or Corvette to sell at a reduced value, say 25-75% less because of damage etc... Big risk, big payout.

If you wing up everyone gets a cut of the profit just like bounty hunting.

Edit:

Picked up the tactical pack for my FDL... looks menacing in the all black scheme.

Top Bottom