• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Actually learned a lot from this video. Might need to turn on orbital lines now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFR2PXrf4Dk

Never tried that planet gravity method for slowing down when coming in too fast.

Best way to avoid overshoot : when only 10 seconds left before reaching your destination in supercruise, throttle down to 75% of the max throttle, the ship should slow down just enough to get in the safe drop-out zone.

75% throttle is also limited to 100 m/s if you have your gears deployed, which is the "speed limit" in stations.

Other speeds to keep in mind when arriving on the surface of a planet or moon :
  • 200 Km/s is the max speed to enter orbital flight (blue orbit line), if you're too fast you'll drop out of supercruise
  • 2500 m/s (or 2.5 Km/s) is the maximum speed between orbital cruise and glide (yellow orbit on landable planet), if your'e to fast, you'll drop out of supercruise and will have to either boost until you arrive or jump in supercruise again and go up in orbital cruise and then glide.

Burny

The comment thread on the dev update announcing instant-crewing in the Frontier forums gives me serious nausea.

The game is in terrible danger of turning into an arcade pew pew call of duty kiddy instant gratification shooter, if some people are to be believed. Throw in some nostalgic rambling about how great 1984 was, when half the game happened in people's heads and how that were greater days or some other bullshit along those lines, accompanied with the hubris to consider themselves above the school child CoD playing crowd.

Speaks quiet a lot about the mental maturity and attachment to their own world and status quo of that crowd.

vector824

Actually learned a lot from this video. Might need to turn on orbital lines now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFR2PXrf4Dk

Never tried that planet gravity method for slowing down when coming in too fast.

That is a good idea! When ever I'm coming into a station I let it hit 7 on the countdown, throttle to 50-55%, usually it's around 6 at this point, fly straight until my target speed is under the maximum value on the slider, then slowly accelerate (keeping my speed at max) as my distance decreases. I can usually come in at top speed before dropping out of SC. Saves a few seconds here and there.

BZTXLWL.jpg

It was a good day today (hit triple Elite).

Also, exploration in VR is simply the best shit ever. Also, the Beluga in VR is probably the best ship interior in the game. It really looks like an advanced million-dollar Yacht deck.

Yea, the planetary break is something I use on occasion. Generally I only use it if I wasn't paying attention and am going to slightly overshoot. If you're going too fast, even the planet won't slow you down enough to avoid having to loop back around so keep that in mind.

Best practice is to just drop to the blue speed zone @ 7 seconds out and leave it there, then take the traditional L approach to the station (instead of a hypotenuse). That is still the fastest and most reliable way to get to the port and drop in front of the station.

The comment thread on the dev update announcing instant-crewing in the Frontier forums gives me serious nausea.

The game is in terrible danger of turning into an arcade pew pew call of duty kiddy instant gratification shooter, if some people are to be believed. Throw in some nostalgic rambling about how great 1984 was, when half the game happened in people's heads and how that were greater days or some other bullshit along those lines, accompanied with the hubris to consider themselves above the school child CoD playing crowd.

Speaks quiet a lot about the mental maturity and attachment to their own world and status quo of that crowd.

Agreed. But most polls show people heavily in favor of instant, so I think their cries will be ignored this time.

Really, if it wan't instant, it would become yet another limited-use feature because it would require too much coordination between players to use regularly. It would be limited in use in the same way ship transfer is now.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

This is why I always keep the orbit lines on when exploring, they help immensely. They are also super useful for noticing planets with odd orbits. I only ever turn the lines off for screenshots.

This is why I always keep the orbit lines on when exploring, they help immensely. They are also super useful for noticing planets with odd orbits. I only ever turn the lines off for screenshots.

Yea, turning off orbit lines makes no sense to me in ED outside of screen shots. There's no real way to "eyeball" safe distance while fuel scooping. There's no way in hell I'm going to eyeball my way around a neutron or white dwarf if I wanted to get an FSD overcharge. Even location space stations in supercruise and aligning for the best angle of entry to it seems like a huge chore without orbit lines.

I think I've had them turned off for about 5 minutes lifetime. Learned my lesson.

Volimar

BZTXLWL.jpg

It was a good day today (hit triple Elite).

Also, exploration in VR is simply the best shit ever. Also, the Beluga in VR is probably the best ship interior in the game. It really looks like an advanced million-dollar Yacht deck.

Yea, the planetary break is something I use on occasion. Generally I only use it if I wasn't paying attention and am going to slightly overshoot. If you're going too fast, even the planet won't slow you down enough to avoid having to loop back around so keep that in mind.

Best practice is to just drop to the blue speed zone @ 7 seconds out and leave it there, then take the traditional L approach to the station (instead of a hypotenuse). That is still the fastest and most reliable way to get to the port and drop in front of the station.

Agreed. But most polls show people heavily in favor of instant, so I think their cries will be ignored this time.

Really, if it wan't instant, it would become yet another limited-use feature because it would require too much coordination between players to use regularly. It would be limited in use in the same way ship transfer is now.

6 billion credits!?!?!?!

6 billion credits!?!?!?!

No sir, just $6 billion in total assets. for reference sake, I currently own:

2 Sidewinders (including my original which is still docked where I left it in March of 2015).
1 Eagle
1 Imperial Eagle
1 Adder
1 Viper III
1 Cobra III
1 Cobra IV
2 Imperial Couriers
1 Diamondback Explorer
1 Vulture
1 Asp Scout
1 Asp Explorer
6 Federal Dropships (5 of them are for mule purposes; storage for engineered weapons )
1 Federal Assault Ship
1 Imperial Clipper
2 Fer-De-Lances
1 Federal Gunship
1 Python
1 Beluga Liner
1 Anaconda
1 Federal Corvette
2 Imperial Cutters (one for combat, one for trading)

Plus my cash in hand. With the exception of the Diamondback Explorer (which I hate with a passion) and the 5 mule/storage Dropships, every ship listed is fully A-graded, fully Grade 5 engineered for its purpose, and ready to go when I'm ready to fly it. That's why my asset total is a bit high.

Volimar

2 Sidewinders (including my original which is still docked where I left it in March of 2015).
1 Eagle
1 Imperial Eagle
1 Adder
1 Viper III
1 Cobra III
1 Cobra IV
2 Imperial Couriers
1 Diamondback Explorer
1 Vulture
1 Asp Scout
1 Asp Explorer
6 Federal Dropships (5 of them are for mule purposes; storage for engineered weapons )
1 Federal Assault Ship
1 Imperial Clipper
2 Fer-De-Lances
1 Federal Gunship
1 Python
1 Beluga Liner
1 Anaconda
1 Federal Corvette

Plus my cash in hand. With the exception of the Diamondback Explorer (which I hate with a passion) and the 5 mule/storage Dropships, every ship listed is fully A-graded, fully Grade 5 engineered for its purpose, and ready to go when I'm ready to fly it. That's why my asset total is a bit high.

Well I mean yeah, but still.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Lol I feel like trying to pvp in this game ends up with me being an asshole 80% of the time.

Basically my strategy to finding good fights so far is just fly around CG / populated areas in open, interdict any combat focused ship I see (FdLs, federal ships, vultures, anything that has a large mounted weapon really) and just open fire. 50% of the time they just crumble and weren't trying to put up a fight at all, 30% of the time they just run (which is fine, I'd rather have the thrill of the chase than just people who are made of paper), 15% of the time they combat log and 5% the time they actually fight back and give me an exciting time.

Hell I will happily die in an engagement if they actually give me an engagement.

I might need to rethink my strat.

More like Dreams-Visions of exploits amirite? That's a Robigo boy if I've ever seen one.

Lol robigo is a name I haven't heard in a long time, I think it still works when the system is in boom. It's straight up busted though, literally zero effort...the one caveat though is that if you fuck up in the system you lose everything.

More like Dreams-Visions of exploits amirite? That's a Robigo boy if I've ever seen one.

Robigo? I've been playing this game for 2 years next month and have 1800 hours of time under my belt.

But don't let me stop you. Go ahead. Continue to tell me all about how I made my wealth. This should be good. I'd like you to start by skipping the 1.3 BILLION I made from bounties alone.

Perhaps, but if it works and it's fun I'll take it. Expand more station possibilities down the road.

One of the reasons, but playing as the 'support' role would probably be really boring. They are probably trying to figure out a more engaging way to play for support.

DrBo42

Robigo? I've been playing this game for 2 years next month and have 1800 hours of time under my belt.

But don't let me stop you. Go ahead. Continue to tell me all about how I made my wealth. This should be good. I'd like you to start by skipping the 1.3 BILLION I made from bounties alone.
Man, no fun allowed in here. I'm not actually calling you out. Relax yourself.

Man, no fun allowed in here. I'm not actually calling you out. Relax yourself.

Then at least give me a back rub.

That said, I gave up long ago picking on people who actually spent their time doing nothing but Robigo/Sothis/Ceos runs because it occurred to me that FDev clearly doesn't care about credits anymore. Maybe they never did and those of us who just played the game normally instead of focusing on quasi-exploits to make megabucks were all just doing it wrong. Either way, the game is built to make about $20 million/hour now just doing regular stuff. Not sure how I feel about it, but considering you ain't shit without engineer upgrades anyway, it sort of feels like they moved the grind to Engineers. Perhaps having a grind to get ships AND a grind to get engineer upgrades is too much for most players and that's fair. And really, I don't know if the best design was for it to take me 500 hours to afford my first Anaconda (90% of my ships were purchased from combat earnings).

Still, there has to be something empty about going from 0 money to a kitted Anaconda in a couple of days. I remember the deep sense of satisfaction I got after buying each of my big ships. But the old path to ownership was too steep a climb for any but the very hardcore. It shouldn't take 1,800 hours to get to 6 billion in assets.

DrBo42

Then at least give me a back rub.

That said, I gave up long ago picking on people who actually spent their time doing nothing but Robigo/Sothis/Ceos runs because it occurred to me that FDev clearly doesn't care about credits anymore. Maybe they never did and those of us who just played the game normally instead of focusing on quasi-exploits to make megabucks were all just doing it wrong. Either way, the game is built to make about $20 million/hour now just doing regular stuff. Not sure how I feel about it, but considering you ain't shit without engineer upgrades anyway, it sort of feels like they moved the grind to Engineers. Perhaps having a grind to get ships AND a grind to get engineer upgrades is too much for most players and that's fair. And really, I don't know if the best design was for it to take me 500 hours to afford my first Anaconda (90% of my ships were purchased from combat earnings).

Still, there has to be something empty about going from 0 money to a kitted Anaconda in a couple of days. I remember the deep sense of satisfaction I got after buying each of my big ships. But the old path to ownership was too steep a climb for any but the very hardcore. It shouldn't take 1,800 hours to get to 6 billion in assets.

Think FD failed to realize any high credit earning activity being out of balance etc is irrelevant when there's an adequate money sink that goes with it. Once actual repair/rearm costs were nerfed into the ground, any sense of balance for people running the expensive ships was over. Only real option for them now besides the engineer grind are insane costs for player bases or minor faction bases. And upkeep costs to go with it. Might as well throw in docking port costs for extended stays for those with a 12 ship fleet mothballed in Founder's World.

Volimar

I mean right now you can make tens of millions every few hours with the ram tah mission. Don't know what F Dev were thinking with that.

Sibylus

Banned
One of the reasons, but playing as the 'support' role would probably be really boring. They are probably trying to figure out a more engaging way to play for support.

360-degree scanning (with greater range) and advanced repairs, perhaps. Being able to take the SRV out is a natural extension (particularly with being able to have two out at once on the larger planetary vehicle hangar).

JoeMartin

Think FD failed to realize any high credit earning activity being out of balance etc is irrelevant when there's an adequate money sink that goes with it. Once actual repair/rearm costs were nerfed into the ground, any sense of balance for people running the expensive ships was over. Only real option for them now besides the engineer grind are insane costs for player bases or minor faction bases. And upkeep costs to go with it. Might as well throw in docking port costs for extended stays for those with a 12 ship fleet mothballed in Founder's World.

My FDL rebuy is 10 million. So far I've paid out 810 million for rebuys (nearly at my 1B milestone wooo). The only reason I PvE anymore is to fund my PvP.

But if you'd like a money sink I'd be happy to offer you a few rebuy screens.

Widge

1 Eagle
1 Imperial Eagle
1 Adder
1 Viper III
1 Cobra III
1 Cobra IV
2 Imperial Couriers
1 Diamondback Explorer
1 Vulture
1 Asp Scout
1 Asp Explorer
1 Federal Assault Ship
1 Imperial Clipper
2 Fer-De-Lances
1 Federal Gunship
1 Python
1 Beluga Liner
1 Anaconda
1 Federal Corvette

I'd be awesome if you could buy your own space structures - make a home in a system. Then strut around and look at the asset empire you have amassed.

JoeMartin

I'd be awesome if you could buy your own space structures - make a home in a system. Then strut around and look at the asset empire you have amassed.

Yeah I wish there were an ingame way to fund one. Pay money to start a player faction in system, get system into expansion, pay loads of money to get a station built in neighboring system (or more distant, increase cost with distance, etc etc). Something that doesn't seem terribly complicated to implement but would allow the bubble to shift dramatically in scope. Make delivery of certain commodities in certain amounts (depending on size of the station) necessary for it to maintain facilities.

I dunno, I have to believe that FDev is aware of these options and has considered them far more fully than I have. I'm sure it's a question of time and and manpower necessary and their focus is probably elsewhere. Would be neat to see tho.

vector824

Yeah I wish there were an ingame way to fund one. Pay money to start a player faction in system, get system into expansion, pay loads of money to get a station built in neighboring system (or more distant, increase cost with distance, etc etc). Something that doesn't seem terribly complicated to implement but would allow the bubble to shift dramatically in scope. Make delivery of certain commodities in certain amounts (depending on size of the station) necessary for it to maintain facilities.

I dunno, I have to believe that FDev is aware of these options and has considered them far more fully than I have. I'm sure it's a question of time and and manpower necessary and their focus is probably elsewhere. Would be neat to see tho.

I'd totally be down for this. Even setting up them up strategically in systems for mining, trade, bounty hunting etc. Allows more player driven economies, governments and gives actual purpose to the BGS. You'll have your top tier players commanding entire fleets of commanders to further their cause. I could keep going....

Widge

I know there is a certain amount of ire towards grind, but this is where it could really work.

Say a community want to work towards a goal of having a huge station between them, then make it cost a ton in cash and commodities - but then see it represent in space as it is built over time. Going from framework to final brick being put in place.

But also have the scope for a single person wanting to buy a patch of land on a planet and do something solo.

Stick some concept of cost for location and/or civilisation hubs (bubble is expensive and extremities are cheaper), you could have a real galaxy out there!

vector824

I know there is a certain amount of ire towards grind, but this is where it could really work.

Say a community want to work towards a goal of having a huge station between them, then make it cost a ton in cash and commodities - but then see it represent in space as it is built over time. Going from framework to final brick being put in place.

But also have the scope for a single person wanting to buy a patch of land on a planet and do something solo.

Stick some concept of cost for location and/or civilisation hubs (bubble is expensive and extremities are cheaper), you could have a real galaxy out there!

You could even call for smaller player driven community goals, ie "Player Goals" where someone says I need x of this commodity and you get a cut of the profits from the station OR a general payout, albeit smaller than a CG, but definitely more frequent. If they want to expand they hire bounty hunters etc...

DrBo42

My FDL rebuy is 10 million. So far I've paid out 810 million for rebuys (nearly at my 1B milestone wooo). The only reason I PvE anymore is to fund my PvP.

But if you'd like a money sink I'd be happy to offer you a few rebuy screens.
Eh, my corvette is around 20. I'm okay with my costs lol. Making money to pay for your deaths isn't really a money sink either.

JoeMartin

Eh, my corvette is around 20. I'm okay with my costs lol. Making money to pay for your deaths isn't really a money sink either.

Well the rebuy screen has certainly been a money sink for me. I understand most players are PvP averse (unnecessarily so, most of the time it's just guys agreeing to blow up each other's ships as best they can, nothing predatory), but it certainly does cost to play the game that way. I can't imagine trying to have fun PvPing if fuckwacks of cash were on the line with every death.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Despite some players wishes, player built stations and the Eve-like gameplay that would inspire will never been added to Elite, the instancing just wouldn't allow it and a very large and vocal part of the Elite playerbase don't want it to become, or to appear to become, like Eve.

I could see maybe a very slow expansion of the bubble via CG's and how that could happen, but it wouldn't be for player built structures, and I don't imagine player factions getting that kind of power either.

JoeMartin

Despite some players wishes, player built stations and the Eve-like gameplay that would inspire will never been added to Elite, the instancing just wouldn't allow it and a very large and vocal part of the Elite playerbase don't want it to become, or to appear to become, like Eve.

I could see maybe a very slow expansion of the bubble via CG's and how that could happen, but it wouldn't be for player built structures, and I don't imagine player factions getting that kind of power either.

Yeah, I mean I'm sure there's all sorts of technical limitation for the BGS to go adding stations and factions to the game willy nilly - like I said I'm sure FD is aware of and has considered all of these options.

It would just be nice to see, is all I'm saying.

Well, some factions *are* getting their own stations in Colonia. First expansion CG is complete and they announced the factions.

That's not nearly the same as player-built or anything like Eve, of course.

JoeMartin

Well, some factions *are* getting their own stations in Colonia. First expansion CG is complete and they announced the factions.

That's not nearly the same as player-built or anything like Eve, of course.

Exactly - the whole thing is happening, but with much ado, and all the strings are being pulled by FD to get it done. Doesn't seem like an organic effort of the players, which is what most would prefer I'd think.

vector824

If you could name stars, planets, and features on landable planets (with monetary reward), gods that would be good.

It would make exploration worth it's time monetarily. However you would have Planet Butt repeated thousands of times over just to get the cash.

Sibylus

Banned
It would make exploration worth it's time monetarily. However you would have Planet Butt repeated thousands of times over just to get the cash.

Spose so. And implementing a "no dupes" rule would be prohibitively expensive, what with checking against billions of objects. Filtering out puerile names ahead of the time comparatively easy.

Volimar

Our grandchildren will remember the wars in the Deez Nutz system.

Also, Faction merits degrade too quickly <whinge>

Is that really how they did it? Fuck that's so sad.

I was against it at first, but fuck scouring those beige boring planets with no tools.

DrBo42

Our grandchildren will remember the wars in the Deez Nutz system.

Also, Faction merits degrade too quickly <whinge>

I was against it at first, but fuck scouring those beige boring planets with no tools.

I should have expanded on that. It's sad that is the only method people have to find these things because no in-game tools exist.

Volimar

I should have expanded on that. It's sad that is the only method people have to find these things because no in-game tools exist.

I was really surprised to see people going along with it in the Canonn group. They're usually all about using brain power to solve things. But I think even they are starting to get fed up. This would be an excellent time for Ram Tah or Palin to make an Engineering breakthrough with scanners.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I was really surprised to see people going along with it in the Canonn group. They're usually all about using brain power to solve things. But I think even they are starting to get fed up. This would be an excellent time for Ram Tah or Palin to make an Engineering breakthrough with scanners.

Canonn caved because they realize how terribly futile exploration tools are in the game. The fact that Frontier expected anyone to do this is horrendous.

I'm personally done exploring planets like that anymore, I'd rather do anything else from now on. It's just terrible.

DrBo42

Explorers have had the patience of saints for fucking 2 years. Enough is enough. People need to be loud and call out FD at every opportunity now. Especially when people are being tasked with finding crashed ships or ancient ruins with no tools to do so. Not sure what they're thinking.

Sibylus

Banned
TBH I will take a million Assworlds for the possibility of having planetary exploration be rewarding outside of filling a bar and finding materials I already have too many of.

Top Bottom