• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

I hope they make the thargoids a playable race you can irreversibly switch your account over to. hehehe. the whole of the human race in elite is pretty much trump's america. worst scum ever. I'd definitely switch sides.

Sibylus

Banned

If they don't push ship names through in an update all about customization...
bounty-wag.gif

Sibylus

Banned
Bounty CG and Rescue CG extended an additional week (!) on account of the Rescue CG finally being fixed. What was missing was a fixed Salvageable Wreckage point of interest in the system, with consistent spawns of occupied escape pods (5~) and Wreckage Components. Lots of rubble, pirate activity, and rescue ships. Nearly died twice in Virgil playing a bit too greedy, but all's well in top 25% with 28 tons of salvage. Really quick in and out.

SmartBase

Totes. I scoop the latter if I have time (rescue ships hoover up everything once the last pod gets taken up).

The pods kept respawning in my particular open instance and there was no ship wreckage to crash into, was a bit weird. Lots of noobs around as well, felt a bit bad snatching the pods from under them with limpets.

vector824

Bounty CG and Rescue CG extended an additional week (!) on account of the Rescue CG finally being fixed. What was missing was a fixed Salvageable Wreckage point of interest in the system, with consistent spawns of occupied escape pods (5~) and Wreckage Components. Lots of rubble, pirate activity, and rescue ships. Nearly died twice in Virgil playing a bit too greedy, but all's well in top 25% with 28 tons of salvage. Really quick in and out.

Made the jump over after reading this. Took almost 20 mins in my FDL! Signed up for the combat CG, top 75% in about 45 mins, going to log in tomorrow morning and see how far up I can get.

It's quite a lot more fun than a regular RES, much more going on with the rescue operation underway.

forms

Having purchased an FDL, I just realized that I need to play the engineering game to be at all competitive.

Oh well, what other games are released? :D

JoeMartin

From Fdev on multicrew

Hello Commanders!
Now that the dust is settling on the interim update, I wanted to give you a more detailed heads up on what we’re currently working on next.

The first feature I want to discuss for 2.3 is Multicrew – the ability to join up with Commanders on the same ship and enjoy space adventures as a crew. In this post, I’ll summarise what you can expect from this exciting new update, in terms of structure and supporting features.
Please note that before now and release, some details may still change, as we’re currently in the thick of implementing this feature!

Setting up Multicrew
Fundamentally, Multicrew is about having fun with friends, so we want to make sure there are as few barriers to enjoying this feature as possible, starting with the crew formation process. We want to make it as easy as possible to start having fun on a multicrew ship.

As long as their ship has enough seats (different ships have different multicrew capabilities) a Commander can directly invite players, or can set their vessel to allow multicrew access. Commanders looking to play as crew can either accept direct invites, or activate a new “looking for ship” feature, which will automatically place them as crew on a suitable vessel with multicrew access allowed, making the process quick and painless.

When joining a crew, a Commander will log out of their current vessel and transfer to the multicrew vessel, regardless of distance. They can also leave at any time (or be evicted by the ship’s owner) at which point they can return to where their ship was last, making the whole affair a very friendly, drop in – drop out procedure.

Helm, Gunner and Fighter Con Roles
The ship’s owner always takes the role of helm, piloting the vessel and operating fixed and gimballed weaponry. They also control NPC fighter pilots. There can be up to two additional crewmembers, depending on the vessel, who can perform roles to enhance the ability of the ship. Players can also simply come along for the ride, with the pilot in a mentoring role. The helm also retains control over distribution of power, navigation, and synthesis.

The gunner role allows a crewmember to take control of all turreted weapons on the ship. They do not need to jump between turret views though. Using a third person interface, they control a reticule that all turrets within their arc will automatically follow; giving them improved spatial awareness and easy control of all turreted weapons. They also have access to two “quick slot” fire buttons, in addition to normal fire groups, that they can customize with modules, allowing them more options for activating weapons and scanners.

Furthermore, the gunner has access to advanced sensor systems, allowing them three hundred and sixty degree tracking arcs. This lets them activate advanced scanners (such as the kill warrant scanner) and missile launchers in any direction.

The fighter con role lets a crewmember launch and control a fighter, even if the helm has already launched a fighter using NPC crew. This allows multicrew ships to have two fighters active at a time. In addition, if the ship has enough fighters, both crewmembers can take on the fighter con role, meaning three human controlled ships can be flying at the same time.

Crewmembers can switch roles dynamically as they see fit. The ship owner is always the helmsman.

Additional Multicrew Benefits and Rules
Every crewmember also has access to a power distributor pip that they can assign dynamically. This is in addition to the standard pips that the helm controls. This extra power distribution allows the ship to operate more effectively, increasing its capabilities in combat.

Ship re-buy premiums are also reduced for each crewmember. Again, the purpose with this is to lower the bar to access and ease of use, especially when dealing with vessels that can cost a lot of credits.

All bounties and vouchers that the helmsman (ship owner) receives are duplicated for each crewmember, making multicrew a great way to have fun with friends without missing out on money-making opportunities.

However, as they share the benefits, so too do they share the punishments. Any crime that the ship suffers is applied to all crewmembers equally. But when a Commander leaves or ends a session, the crew will have the option of avoiding taking the crimes with them, but in doing so, will lose all credits earned. It will be their choice.

Really the only thing I was concerned about. at least they got that right.

Seamless drop-in drop-out is exactly how it should be done. I'm glad they are going this route.

I do wonder how long it will take though for people to start yelling about "mah immurshun" and how this will ruin the game.

EDIT: The first reply to the official thread is the answer to "how long".

Burny

It's Frontier and the game where players actually whine until the devs cave in and let them stare at a counter instead of having a feature work immediately as initially proposed. There was quiet a lot more to be concerned about. But the most important usability aspect seems to be right on the mark: No bloody waiting, counters or other bullshit to eat up player's free time for the sake of it.

Then again, I expected crews to go up to four, not three. And I wouldn't have minded if they had actually come up with something more interesting than turret, scanner and SLF control for the other members.

Interesting. What happened to the Tactical and Engineer roles? And now only 3 total crew members, not four?

Dito. Seems they didn't manage to make it work.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
From Fdev on multicrew

Honestly that looks fantastic so far, here is to hoping that they'll eventually extend multicrew benefits to missions as well so people are encouraged to go out and do mining runs, cargo runs in a crew or something.

Also this tid bit

When joining a crew, a Commander will log out of their current vessel and transfer to the multicrew vessel, regardless of distance. They can also leave at any time (or be evicted by the ship’s owner) at which point they can return to where their ship was last, making the whole affair a very friendly, drop in – drop out procedure.

I imagine the forums are already up in arms over this?

SmartBase

I don't have friends that play Elite so "looking for ship" and conversely allowing crew access doesn't sound bad at all. That drop-in drop-out also sounds nice, as it should be. Thank the gods the usual suspects didn't ruin it with wait times (though I guess there's still plenty of time for that during the beta).

Burny

I imagine the forums are already up in arms over this?

Not yet, as far as I can see. But the immersion brigade will chime in soon enough.

I don't have friends that play Elite so "looking for ship" and conversely allowing crew access doesn't sound bad at all. That drop-in drop-out also sounds nice, as it should be. Thank the gods the usual suspects didn't ruin it with wait times (though I guess there's still plenty of time for that during the beta).

Last time, they fucked it up for everyone after a sensible feature was announced, remember? Plenty of time to whine Frontier's shaky game designers into submission, so they let us stare at counters before crewing up. Then again, it seems Frontier is using telepresence as a cop out, so immersion fanatics can sleep easy:

TrinityACraft said:
Will this be explained as long distance telepresence?
Raijiin said:
yes, i believe that is the basis of this.
Edward Lewis said:

Commander Creator info:

Commander Creator

And supporting multicrew in 2.3 is the Commander Creator. Commanders will be able to create a unique avatar using a wide variety of options, finally putting a face and character to their name. And with a new, fully-fledged camera system, they’ll be able to view themselves and their crew in real time as they adventure across the galaxy.

Very interested in that completely new camera system.

SmartBase

Mengy was right, no roles for exploration.

Not yet, as far as I can see. But the immersion brigade will chime in soon enough.

Last time, they fucked it up for everyone after a sensible feature was announced, remember? Plenty of time to whine Frontier's shaky game designers into submission, so they let us stare at counters before crewing up. Then again, it seems Frontier is using telepresence as a cop out, so immersion fanatics can sleep easy:

I have this strange feeling that Frontier isn't stupid enough to do another poll like they did with transfer wait times, but who knows.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I feel like the main draw of multicrew right now is really just piloting fighters, a fighter swarm coming out of an anaconda sounds awesome. I don't think many people bother to fit turrets onto many ships though, so I guess we will see about that, maybe player controlled turrets will actually just be insane enough that people will start using them? However I really do think 80% of multicrew players are gonna end up being fighter pilots.

I hope there is a big "red alert" button to press.

Haha, yeah I would love for your helmsman to sound the alarm to have their two buddies just slip into fighters and go.

Multicrew sounds like fun. Glad to see they've made it hop-in/hop-out so that I might actually try it.

It could be a great way to do any conflict zone/bounty hunting CGs.

I'm really glad they allow you to keep the full bounties rather than splitting them. It's a great gameplay idea to encourage people to take part.
I hope the immersion/anti-fun police don't ruin it.

Multi-crew sounds like it will be a lot of fun for friends. unfortunately, I don't have many friends actively playing.

Not in Open, anyway. We're gonna need to get some crews together and get you monkeys out of private/solo, GAF.

~Cross~

Literally the first reply to that thread in the oforums is complaining about the QoL of being able to hook up instantly with anyone for multicrew regardless of distance. It wouldn't surprise me if some idiots complain about rewards not being split between crew members and instead generated equally to all of them.

vector824

Multi-crew sounds like it will be a lot of fun for friends. unfortunately, I don't have many friends actively playing.

Not in Open, anyway. We're gonna need to get some crews together and get you monkeys out of private/solo, GAF.

Sign me up. I'm in Open most of the time anyway.

Literally the first reply to that thread in the oforums is complaining about the QoL of being able to hook up instantly with anyone for multicrew regardless of distance. It wouldn't surprise me if some idiots complain about rewards not being split between crew members and instead generated equally to all of them.

So does this mean if I'm in a friend's SLF, and they kill a Conda with a $200k bounty that I get a cut just for goofing around?

~Cross~

Sign me up. I'm in Open most of the time anyway.

So does this mean if I'm in a friend's SLF, and they kill a Conda with a $200k bounty that I get a cut just for goofing around?

I dont know if you have to have an active roll to get paid as well or if works by just flying with them but the result is that you get the full 200k, not just a cut.

vector824

I dont know if you have to have an active roll to get paid as well or if works by just flying with them but the result is that you get the full 200k, not just a cut.

Definitely sounds better than getting half or a third. I mean, it makes sense from a time standpoint. You have THREE people in ONE Conda shooting another ship, so your firepower is less than having THREE people in THREE Condas, and the amount of time it takes to shoot down said Conda is the same because you're all in ONE ship (or SLF). So your payout SHOULD be duplicated.

Does that make sense?

Burny

Definitely sounds better than getting half or a third. I mean, it makes sense from a time standpoint. You have THREE people in ONE Conda shooting another ship, so your firepower is less than having THREE people in THREE Condas, and the amount of time it takes to shoot down said Conda is the same because you're all in ONE ship (or SLF). So your payout SHOULD be duplicated.

Does that make sense?

What makes sense is not discouraging teaming up and having fun by giving potential crew members the you're-sacrificing-your-own-profits-giant middle finger.

From FDev on reddit:

Can't wait to have an external camera that doesn't make you want to bang your head into a wall. If that's what they're hinting at.

SmartBase

Already play in open (unless exploring) but my geographic location precludes me from seeing and playing with most CMDRs.

Wait, the SLF bit is all well and good but the Dev update makes no mention of SRVs. Would suck if we're mostly limited to multi-crew in space.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Wait a tic

Additional Multicrew Benefits and Rules
Every crewmember also has access to a power distributor pip that they can assign dynamically. This is in addition to the standard pips that the helm controls. This extra power distribution allows the ship to operate more effectively, increasing its capabilities in combat.

I just read that again and unless I'm interpreting this wrong each additional crew member brings a power pip they can manage? That means 2 more pips for a fully crewed ship, holy hell that means you can do 4-0-4 or even 4-2-2 setups on big ships Hell even my FdL would be able to do 4-1-2 which is insane enough to think about.

vector824

What makes sense is not discouraging teaming up and having fun by giving potential crew members the you're-sacrificing-your-own-profits-giant middle finger.

Oh yes definitely. That's my point, it breaks even in terms of time vs payouts.

Three cmdrs in three ships takes less time but also pays less than three cmdrs in one ship that pays more.

3+3 = 1/3 payout
3+1 = 1x payout over three cmdrs

So... anyone hiring?

Wait a tic

I just read that again and unless I'm interpreting this wrong each additional crew member brings a power pip they can manage? That means 2 more pips for a fully crewed ship, holy hell that means you can do 4-0-4 or even 4-2-2 setups on big ships Hell even my FdL would be able to do 4-1-2 which is insane enough to think about.

IF this is true... then talk about OP'd multicrewed engineered PVP FASs and FDLs!

...As long as I'm navigating...

vector824

From the notes:

Commander Creator

And supporting multicrew in 2.3 is the Commander Creator. Commanders will be able to create a unique avatar using a wide variety of options, finally putting a face and character to their name. And with a new, fully-fledged camera system, they'll be able to view themselves and their crew in real time as they adventure across the galaxy.

THIS. THIS RIGHT HERE is what I am more excited about that anything else!

Joke thread or not: Here we go! :p

Voted yes. Stop making me wait for crying out loud.

Already play in open (unless exploring) but my geographic location precludes me from seeing and playing with most CMDRs.

Wait, the SLF bit is all well and good but the Dev update makes no mention of SRVs. Would suck if we're mostly limited to multi-crew in space.

From what I read here, it sounds like even if you're across the galaxy you could join in a crew temporarily?

Or did I misread that

THIS. THIS RIGHT HERE is what I am more excited about that anything else!
Considering how awful in-game NPC pictures look, I am definitely not optimistic.

Burny

From what I read here, it sounds like even if you're across the galaxy you could join in a crew temporarily?

Or did I misread that

I think they meant real world geographics. If you happen to be in a timezone sufficiently different from EU and US, you might not find too many players in your after work hours.

But yes, seems 'commander telepresence' works across the in-game galaxy. Umless Frontier caves...

SmartBase

Or did I misread that

Considering how awful in-game NPC pictures look, I am definitely not optimistic.

Yeah should've been more specific, meant to write Australia.

Space Trump.

Leading which superpower? Both would fit the bill, one's a corporate dystopia while the other's a despotic monarchy.

I think they meant real world geographics. If you happen to be in a timezone sufficiently different from EU and US, you might not find too many players in your after work hours.

But yes, seems 'commander telepresence' works across the in-game galaxy. Umless Frontier caves...

It's not just that but absurdly high pings make it painful to fly with other CMDRs around.
I'll be joining euroGAF soon enough so maybe then I can get a real taste of playing in open.

JambiBum

I literally screamed out loud at the first post in that thread.
Magic transport anywhere... not so sure.
Fuck that person. If this some how turns into another vote for a timer situation and we get a timer to join crews then I'm done with the game. As much as I love elite there are certain parts of the player base that make me never want to play the game again. I'd rather die a thousand times to players with heat weapons in open than have another arbitrary timer introduced because of "immersion".

Sibylus

Banned
Made the jump over after reading this. Took almost 20 mins in my FDL! Signed up for the combat CG, top 75% in about 45 mins, going to log in tomorrow morning and see how far up I can get.

It's quite a lot more fun than a regular RES, much more going on with the rescue operation underway.

Yeah, I'm enjoying alternating between the two CGs to keep things fresh. Top 25% in the Bounty Hunting CG also, and so far I've had a lot of success flying the Hazardous RES, bounty scanning everyone, and biding my time to wait for Mafia ships to start infighting. At that point I pick a juicy target and pounce.

vector824

Yeah, I'm enjoying alternating between the two CGs to keep things fresh. Top 25% in the Bounty Hunting CG also, and so far I've had a lot of success flying the Hazardous RES, bounty scanning everyone, and biding my time to wait for Mafia ships to start infighting. At that point I pick a juicy target and pounce.

Good strategy there. I just went to the actual Salvage site. I'll look into those Haz Res tomorrow.

Sibylus

Banned
From Fdev on multicrew

This sounds so incredibly kickass. I'm excited for using these features with friends!

New camera is great, but I'm hoping that ship names will be coming at last. C'mon, it's a customization update!

Good strategy there. I just went to the actual Salvage site. I'll look into those Haz Res tomorrow.

I learned after being impatient and losing time with running and repairing, and it certainly makes the higher-ranked pilots less dangerous. It's unnerving being knee deep in mafia ships but they really don't give a shit with an empty cargo hold. May as well use em like cops :p

Top Bottom