• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

SmartBase

FDev confirms ruins are bugged and won't be fixed until 2.3: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...re_alien_ruin_scientists_fdev_confirms_ruins/

They better reset that fucking mission timer. This is ridiculous.

I'd imagine most sane people have already cashed in and moved on to better things, though you can receive the mission again and get a refreshed timer.

Also being "fixed" in 2.3 is the exploration rank gained through tourist missions so better get on to that and get an easy Elite ranking without all of the tedious scanning you'd normally have to do.

Volimar

Jesus. The people in Canonn worked tirelessly to solve these ruins and they're bugged. WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T YOU TELL THEM SOONER?!?!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'd imagine most sane people have already cashed in and moved on to better things, though you can receive the mission again and get a refreshed timer.

I gave up on the ruins weeks ago, it's been obvious that they were seriously bugged despite Frontier telling us repeatedly that they weren't. Finally Frontier has admitted to what we have known for weeks now: the ruins don't work. It's like Frontier isn't doing any quality control at all, or it's like Donald Trump is in charge of their QA department:

Frontier QA said:
"We have the best quality, tremendous quality. Any claims to the counter are fake bugs! Don't believe them, believe me, there aren't any bugs. Believe me. We tested the ruins personally, they work great. If there were bugs, we'd know about it. Anyone claiming there are bugs are the opposition. Ugly fake bugs!"

three weeks later....

Frontier QA said:
"Oh, yeah, it's bugged. I knew it all along. I've always said they were bugs. Anyone saying otherwise are liars, dirty liars. Terrible fake liars!"

Just after a bit of advice about ships, I am after another ship, and not really sure which one to get, I enjoy a bit of trading and a bit of bounty hunting, and while doing this, I also do a touch of exploration.

I have a Sidewinder, Adder, Cobra mk3, Viper mk4 and Type 6 transporter, and about 20mil cr, what should I go for next?

Was thinking maybe a Vulture for Bounty hunting, or a Type 7 for a larger transporter?, or is there anything that would be a decent upgrade that would serve both?

I'd get a Vulture or a Dropship for combat and continue using the T6 until you can afford a T7 for trading.

If you don't feel like being bothered with military rank grinds, your path should look like

Viper --> Vulture (for combat)
T6 --> T7 (for trade)

Save up until you have enough money to buy an entry level (low budget but not unsafe to fly) Python. Something that looks like this

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/pyt...704040002B1050504043302026e.Iw18eQ==.Aw18eQ==.

So your goal is to save up about $60 million.

Once you have the Python, you can retire the Vulture and the T7 for awhile, as the Python is the best multi-purpose ship in the game. You can use it for bounty hunting, CZ fighting, and it's the most flexible trading ship in the game since it has great capacity and can fit on medium pads (outposts).

So yea, pick up the Vulture now. Then get the T7. Then save up for the Python.

If you decide to grind military rank, you can slide a Federal Assault Ship and/or a Clipper before the Python. Not necessary at all, though.

FDev confirms ruins are bugged and won't be fixed until 2.3: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...re_alien_ruin_scientists_fdev_confirms_ruins/

Glad I decided to spend my time rolling more weapons and ship mods instead. What nonsense.

SmartBase

I gave up on the ruins weeks ago, it's been obvious that they were seriously bugged despite Frontier telling us repeatedly that they weren't. Finally Frontier has admitted to what we have known for weeks now: the ruins don't work. It's like Frontier isn't doing any quality control at all, or it's like Donald Trump is in charge of their QA department:

three weeks later....

The best part is that it'll be fixed in 2.3...one to two months from now. Can't work Elite's skeleton crew too hard.

Sibylus

Banned
B99E4CA460F8709CF4C93CB80965330BF82FD045

Display is bugged there, we reached T10 and the prizes got bumped up again.

Pushed into top 10% of the Rescue CG tonight as well (154~ tons), outfitted my Virgil AspX with 6A shields, shield boosters, chaff, and 56 tonnes of cargo space. Basically have looping back into the instance down to a science now, and ran into more than a few that had me beating the rescue squad there. Usually meant three bonus escape pods, with the other five spawning in with the rescuers. Lost my ship once, but thereafter kept watching the contact list and chose to scoop once and run if against scary targets.

Yeah, I got rid of my FDL and traded it in for a Python. The FDL is fun and all, but it’s just too limiting at times. I mean it was great for combat. However, I like to multirole and you can’t really do that in a FDL. So a Python is a much better fit for me until I can grind the credit/rank for a Corvette.

DrBo42

Also being "fixed" in 2.3 is the exploration rank gained through tourist missions so better get on to that and get an easy Elite ranking without all of the tedious scanning you'd normally have to do.

Jesus. The people in Canonn worked tirelessly to solve these ruins and they're bugged. WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T YOU TELL THEM SOONER?!?!

three weeks later....

Are we sure it's an actual progression block he's referring to rather than the solo bug? You guys know me, I'm very open to giving FD a thrashing but I'm not sure we have the facts here.

danowat

Banned
AspX would serve you well, decent in a high RES or Nav beacon for bounty hunting, definitely good for cargo hauling or exploration.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0pit...202012h.Iw18WQ==.IwBhrSumg===?bn=Cargo/Bounty

Upgrade to A rated power plant and thrusters once you can (PP first). And remember rule #1, never buy anything without having the money for insurance left over.

Also, jump into a Li Yong-Rui for a 15% discount. For example: https://eddb.io/station?s=3&m=980&i=1&p=9

I'd get a Vulture or a Dropship for combat and continue using the T6 until you can afford a T7 for trading.

If you don't feel like being bothered with military rank grinds, your path should look like

Viper --> Vulture (for combat)
T6 --> T7 (for trade)

Save up until you have enough money to buy an entry level (low budget but not unsafe to fly) Python. Something that looks like this

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/pyt...704040002B1050504043302026e.Iw18eQ==.Aw18eQ==.

So your goal is to save up about $60 million.

Once you have the Python, you can retire the Vulture and the T7 for awhile, as the Python is the best multi-purpose ship in the game. You can use it for bounty hunting, CZ fighting, and it's the most flexible trading ship in the game since it has great capacity and can fit on medium pads (outposts).

So yea, pick up the Vulture now. Then get the T7. Then save up for the Python.

If you decide to grind military rank, you can slide a Federal Assault Ship and/or a Clipper before the Python. Not necessary at all, though.

Glad I decided to spend my time rolling more weapons and ship mods instead. What nonsense.

Thanks guys, I am sitting on about 30 million credits, so it's a toss up between an all rounder like the Aspx, or a dedicated fighter like the Vulture....

Or, I could fit my Type 6 out as a miner and try and grind enough for the Python......

Mengy

Are we sure it's an actual progression block he's referring to rather than the solo bug? You guys know me, I'm very open to giving FD a thrashing but I'm not sure we have the facts here.

It is a progression bug, the obelisks never reset themselves so it is impossible to trigger the mechanism which progresses the ruin site to any mode beyond “initial”. In solo this completely stops players from getting any datasets beyond the “initial mode” of the ruins, thereby blocking off entire blocks of the data. In open and PG’s however there is “another” bug happening, a different one, where the player instance changes caused by players joining and leaving are somehow triggering random obelisks to activate when they shouldn’t, thereby allowing random datasets from different modes to be acquired completely accidentally.

The end result is that it should be theoretically possible to accidentally get all data from one site purely by sheer random luck as long as you hang out there long enough, but in practice the huge number of possible combinations of objects and obelisks make this nearly impossible to randomly happen. Also the game’s network code is crashing people’s instances constantly around the ruins, and this makes it impossible to actually remain in an instance long enough to “accidentally” get all of the data. Many players have been able to gather quite a bit more data than the “solo” bug allows simply by loitering around ruins in open while other people join and leave the instance, but it’s mathematically very improbable that anyone will get them all. It’s just too broken and cumbersome.

The whole thing is horribly busted due to a combination of bad bugs and horrible network code. I doubt very much that it will ever be fixed to the point where it works as intended. Not without a serious rewrite of Elite’s network and instance code.

Burny

Ok I'm in Quince getting imp rank, what do you do for rank up missions? I'm only getting long haul ~400 ly smuggler missions.

No idea, but I'd be interested as well. Did one yesterday, but it takes almost all evening. Didn't have a long jump range ship either, so one evening spend watching loading screens. This game is such a great proposition for spending one's free time. And people in Frontier forums are arguing you should lose engineer upgrades after ship destruction...

I disgress. As far as I can see, I fear the only sensible way to rank up is migrate back to another Imperial system.

No idea, but I'd be interested as well. Did one yesterday, but it takes almost all evening. Didn't have a long jump range ship either, so one evening spend watching loading screens. This game is such a great proposition for spending one's free time. And people in Frontier forums are arguing you should lose engineer upgrades after ship destruction...

I disgress. As far as I can see, I fear the only sensible way to rank up is migrate back to another Imperial system.

Hmm. I really don't want to risk a "scan and fail" smuggle mission over 400 ly (in Python), payout is pretty bad for the distance too.

Volimar

Thanks guys, I am sitting on about 30 million credits, so it's a toss up between an all rounder like the Aspx, or a dedicated fighter like the Vulture....

Or, I could fit my Type 6 out as a miner and try and grind enough for the Python......

If you really like fighting, I'd recommend the Vulture. As much as I love the AspX, it can't hang for long in combat zones. Otherwise, I'd really really recommend an AspX. It's a decent hauler for its size and has great jump range. I have a vette and a conda and I still use my Asp for anything taking long trips.

Mining is one of the worst, most boring ways to make money.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Mining is one of the worst, most boring ways to make money.

Most boring maybe, but if you get missions for osmium missions or ice mining you can actually make a considerably large payout, something ~5m per 100t of cargo. Not the best money ever but it's better than other things.

I like mining :( It has a low key enjoyable, relaxing gameplay loop.

With limpets, that is. Still can't ever fucking imagine mining before having those.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah I don't really mind mining actually, I just wish that mining laser were toggle on / off instead of hold down the trigger.

I know you can use the classified cam while you're firing your mining lasers to keep them going though.

DrBo42

Have you guys checked out the Mars series on National Geographic? Kind of a hybrid sci-fi show about a manned mission to land and establish a colony on Mars in the 2030s.

Takes breaks from the fiction by cutting to our current world via interviews on what it would take to get there, and real world parallels to Mars like the science we're doing in Antarctica among other topics like SpaceX, the US and NASA losing its way with the shuttle program etc. Been enjoying it.

SmartBase

Today I went from 67% Pioneer all the way to Elite doing around 2.5 hours worth of tourist missions, guess that's exploration done and dusted.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
My new dual tank FdL fit is a fucking abomination

1000mj's in bi-weaves
1800 in hull armor

3 efficiency PAs
2 double shot frag cannons

Sure I don't have much ammo but I can kill a deadly anaconda in about 30 seconds. I just need to get the resistances up to spec and grade 5 a bunch of components but this is too fucking funny.

SmartBase

Dafuq? Short range, long range, passenger type, allied with passenger factions?

I was allied and the missions were just to take passengers to different tourist beacons in the bubble. Something like 10-15 million a pop with a 5-10% rank increase and with three to five destinations. Apart from having to make sure you don't take those stupid secretive types of passengers it was pretty easy with a 40ly Conda.

Sibylus

Banned
Wut? Do passenger missions boost your exploration beyond the normal experience for traveling?

Not as far as I know, but sightseeing trips even around the bubble can pay a lot of cash. I jumped a few ranks the same way. Absolutely faster and more efficient than raw exploration.

elyetis

I didn't play elite since the Horizon release, and didn't follow news too closely, just enough to know that it's .. pretty slow. Where are we standing on the season 2 side, and with what's left to come ?

Burny

I didn't play elite since the Horizon release, and didn't follow news too closely, just enough to know that it's .. pretty slow. Where are we standing on the season 2 side, and with what's left to come ?

Released:

2.1 Engineers: Exchange grind for ship improvements beyond normal modules. Persistent NPCs with faces.

2.2 Ship launched fighter: You can carry small dedicated snub fighters in a number of ships and control them, while some AI pilot controls your ship & vice versa. Passenger missions added.

Alien encounters started (Thargoids) and alien ruins (2nd species: "Guardians" found.

To come:

2.3 Multicrew + pilot creator beta end of the month, public release probably some time middle to end of March. Multicrew entirely combat focused (turrets + fighters). Allows for instant joining to a host ship. Up to three people in the suitable ships.

2.4: Unknown features.

Hinted at by means of recent trailer: huge station sized transport (?) ships, probably not player controllable, and asteroid stations.

SmartBase

So uhh, what mode do the dev streamers play in CQC? Might try and see if I can find a match at this ungodly hour.
I have more trouble finding matches than actually playing and winning at this point.

SmartBase

Seems like they should start streams about 2.3 at this point...isn't the beta in 2 weeks?

It doesn't exactly read like a meaty update. I think they might just do one stream before beta and one before beta ends.

Devs usually play death match, since it's the only game mode people queue for.

That's unfortunate, I much prefer TD or even CTF. Might still give it a go for a chance to shoot at FD.

Mengy

Wut? Do passenger missions boost your exploration beyond the normal experience for traveling?

Sightseeing passenger missions have been bugged since 2.2.03 (they weren't in 2.2) in that they increase exploration rank with each mission success FAR more than they should, about 10X more than they should. It is right now extremely quick and easy to get to Elite in Exploration simply by doing a dozen or so sightseeing passenger missions.

Frontier have said they will fix it for 2.3, so you have a couple months yet until the bug is gone.

Sibylus

Banned
Sightseeing passenger missions have been bugged since 2.2.03 (they weren't in 2.2) in that they increase exploration rank with each mission success FAR more than they should, about 10X more than they should. It is right now extremely quick and easy to get to Elite in Exploration simply by doing a dozen or so sightseeing passenger missions.

Frontier have said they will fix it for 2.3, so you have a couple months yet until the bug is gone.

... damn, and here I thought some segment of the game's progression scheme wasn't fucked for once.

So uhh, what mode do the dev streamers play in CQC? Might try and see if I can find a match at this ungodly hour.

I have more trouble finding matches than actually playing and winning at this point.

Yeah, Devs only play DM. Most players only play DM. It's the fastest way to get in a game. Also it's fastest way to rank up. Games are quick and you can get more points compared to TDM or CTF. When it comes to the later ranks, they takes forever. It's like +2 hours per rank once you get to the 40s. I'm level 40 and I have like a 1d 5h of playtime. So getting to 50/prestige will probably take me around 2d of playtime.

If you ever want to get to elite, players generally hit that ~13 prestige (depends on the player and the opponents they face). So yeah, it's a hell of a grind. So like +200 hours just of CQC. That's why there are so few quad elites.

SmartBase

Yeah, Devs only play DM. Most players only play DM. It's the fastest way to get in a game. Also it's fastest way to rank up. Games are quick and you can get more points compared to TDM or CTF. When it comes to the later ranks, they takes forever. It's like +2 hours per rank once you get to the 40s. I'm level 40 and I have like a 1d 5h of playtime. So getting to 50/prestige will probably take me around 2d of playtime.

If you ever want to get to elite, players generally hit that ~13 prestige (depends on the player and the opponents they face). So yeah, it's a hell of a grind. So like +200 hours just of CQC. That's why there are so few quad elites.

I'll have to train myself to ignore the rank in the main game then, there's no way to get that kind of playtime without doing many weeks of 5am mornings just to catch the main CQC population.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Aughhhhhhhhhh

I mined out 50 units of bromellite to go get my PAs engineered to grade 5 but then I realized I need a permit to go into alioth.

So now I'm hauling 150t of micro controllers 2 jumps away to 78 UM to gain rep in what feels like the slowest method ever.

Eh, I only tune into livestreams for deature updates or new releases usually. But I dimly remembered from reading and apparently correctly so:

2.3 livestreams next week

No info on specific topics or dates however.

Little more info from the Newsletter:

FIRST LOOK AT 2.3
"THE COMMANDERS"

Next week we’ve got two very exciting livestreams for you! On Tuesday 14th February at 7PM GMT we’ll be showing you some of the headline features in 2.3 The Commanders, including the Commander Creator.

We’ll be continuing the 2.3 buzz only two days later on Thursday February 16th at 7PM GMT with your first ever look at the Multicrew feature in action. You won’t want to miss either of the streams, as we’ll be showing things that have never been seen outside of Frontier before.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
If you can telepresence across the galaxy onto someone else's ship for multicrew, why can't we telepresence to a different station and pilot a ship that's stored there instead of having to fly there?

Let me know when you get an answer for that, because I'm still waiting to hear back on how instant ship transfers break "immersion". but instant teleportation to your last visited station upon death isn't. The Distant Stars expedition all insta-transferred themselves back home, and no one blinks an eye. I want to have my ships appear when I hit a button, and apparently that's not realistic.

Effect

Yeah, I got rid of my FDL and traded it in for a Python. The FDL is fun and all, but it’s just too limiting at times. I mean it was great for combat. However, I like to multirole and you can’t really do that in a FDL. So a Python is a much better fit for me until I can grind the credit/rank for a Corvette.

Really like that ship kit for the Python but they cost way to much money for what is offered. Here's hoping there is a sale on it in the future. Don't think it or any of them were discounted this past holiday.

elyetis

Released:

2.1 Engineers: Exchange grind for ship improvements beyond normal modules. Persistent NPCs with faces.

2.2 Ship launched fighter: You can carry small dedicated snub fighters in a number of ships and control them, while some AI pilot controls your ship & vice versa. Passenger missions added.

Alien encounters started (Thargoids) and alien ruins (2nd species: "Guardians" found.

To come:

2.3 Multicrew + pilot creator beta end of the month, public release probably some time middle to end of March. Multicrew entirely combat focused (turrets + fighters). Allows for instant joining to a host ship. Up to three people in the suitable ships.

2.4: Unknown features.

Hinted at by means of recent trailer: huge station sized transport (?) ships, probably not player controllable, and asteroid stations.
Thanks.

2.1 Engineers got some rebalance pass since the initial release/beta ? I think the initial reaction were far from positive when it came to how random it was.
Completely forgot about 2.2, I looked it up, it seems kind of underwhelming, but I can see it making more sens with multicrew release.
2.3 Multicrew could be really fun, do we know if they finaly decided that multiplayer should give you a decent reward or are they keeping the stupid decicion made with wings that it should be split by the number of player ( and no wing mission ? ) making it usually far less efficient than playing solo ?
Asteroid stations in 2.4 could be nice if it goes in pair with fighting around them.

DrBo42

Thanks.

2.1 Engineers got some rebalance pass since the initial release/beta ? I think the initial reaction were far from positive when it came to how random it was.
Completely forgot about 2.2, I looked it up, it seems kind of underwhelming, but I can see it making more sens with multicrew release.
2.3 Multicrew could be really fun, do we know if they finaly decided that multiplayer should give you a decent reward or are they keeping the stupid decicion made with wings that it should be split by the number of player ( and no wing mission ? ) making it usually far less efficient than playing solo ?
Asteroid stations in 2.4 could be nice if it goes in pair with fighting around them.

For Engineers they increased the amount of materials you get from collecting 1 resource to 3 instead. So if you pick up 2 nickel on a surface, you get 6. Commodities used to be part of Engineer blueprints that required actual cargo space to store but have been removed from blueprints entirely.

For multicrew I believe both combat bonds and bounties rewards are shared across each crew member.

Burny

For multicrew I believe both combat bonds and bounties rewards are shared across each crew member.

According to the dev updates, they're actually duplicated for each crew member. So players joining a host ship shouldn't have a creadit disadvantage compared to playing in their own ship.

I wonder if that'll open up eploit possiblities for crewmembers passively tagging along to earn credits, but with all the effective credit making schemes, that setill seems relatively unattractive.

Top Bottom