• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Volimar

Planetary mining would be nice. Why can't we set up those auto mining drills that we shoot and steal the ore from in POIs?

vector824

TBH I will take a million Assworlds for the possibility of having planetary exploration be rewarding outside of filling a bar and finding materials I already have too many of.

Haha! Valid. So would I in reality. I read these posts and hear so many good ideas and wonder WHY fdev doesnt put more thought into stuff like that. Is it the size of the team, or budget constraints? I mean, I've never developed a game let alone one of this scale, so I have no idea.

SmartBase

It's not like fdev has given players actual exploration tools anyways lol.

That'sthejoke.jpeg

Is that really how they did it? Fuck that's so sad.

Yep, some guys figured out the planetary instance size and time it takes to load it so any deviation is supposed to be indicative of ruins. It narrows it down to a few hundred square clicks and only works on certain hardware.

I doubt FD will see this as anything other than exploration being fine. Groups like Canonn just reinforce their non-existent gameplay.

Volimar

It's kind of sad watching canonn come up with all these possibilities with how the ruins are aligned and what every speck of sand means only for 95% of it to amount to nothing. At least FDev could go into the thread from time to time and let them know if they're on the right track. Maybe they don't mind all the theorycrafting, I don't know.

DrBo42

That'sthejoke.jpeg

Yep, some guys figured out the planetary instance size and time it takes to load it so any deviation is supposed to be indicative of ruins. It narrows it down to a few hundred square clicks and only works on certain hardware.

I doubt FD will see this as anything other than exploration being fine. Groups like Canonn just reinforce their non-existent gameplay.

Next time Ed does a feature with Canonn it should just be them hitting F5 on the dev update and patch notes threads.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Ahahahaha I noticed the cqc dev stream went up from thursday and in the very first 30 seconds of the 2nd match they stream you can see me blowing up Eds co-host for the night.

Burny

I'm quiet impressed with the resourcefulness of these players. As opposed to utterly underwhelmed by the way Frontier handles these hidden things. Rather than manning the fuck up and developing in game means of finding anything with exploration scanners, it comes down to searching a needle in a haystack for players, with complete out of game meta hints to go by. It's ridiculous how incapable they are to translate the generally great idea of having a dev told story unfold for the players (kind of a dungeon master played by Frontier) by means of game design.

That's the true immersion killer, but the immersion idiot brigade is again trying to whine Frontier into putting asinine time requirements of front of crewing up.

SmartBase

Touche

I'm quiet impressed with the resourcefulness of these players. As opposed to utterly underwhelmed by the way Frontier handles these hidden things. Rather than manning the fuck up and developing in game means of finding anything with exploration scanners, it comes down to searching a needle in a haystack for players, with complete out of game meta hints to go by. It's ridiculous how incapable they are to translate the generally great idea of having a dev told story unfold for the players (kind of a dungeon master played by Frontier) by means of game design.

That's the true immersion killer, but the immersion idiot brigade is again trying to whine Frontier into putting asinine time requirements of front of crewing up.

I used to wonder why they even bothered with creating the Stellar Forge when there's no associated gameplay with it, but "400 billion systems" makes for a good marketing gimmick.

Pomerlaw

I feel like FD really missed an opportunity with exploration.

Look at what SC is trying to do. Yeah CIG is telling BS quite often, I'm sure they won't realize half the game their fanboys think they will but at least they seem to have ideas and ambitions on exploration, including gameplay elements. The limited selection of planets and moons will make them more recognizable, and will make players actually care for them (I think).

Sadly I care for nothing in Elite, even if I love the flight model & controls.

Burny

... at least they seem to have ideas and ambitions on exploration, including gameplay elements.

They have that for every bloody thing. Remember the 470$ .jpg sale for the Starfarer and the civil transportation concept around late summer 2015? It made passenger mission in Elite as they are today look like child's play in terms of complexity. Depth to AI flight attendant mechanics, depth to passenger seat prices, depth to bloody passenger health, depth to passenger entertainment, depth to... a flicking cocktail mixing game. Have we seen a bloody thing about civil transport since? No. Same about planetary exploration. Lots of hot air, no results, yet. A demo breaking live on stage that made Crysis 1 shooter gameplay look like smooth next gen. Let's wait with an evaluation of their ideas until they're released and we don't have to take hot air as basis of comparison.

It doesn't need another far out maybe someday real space game exploration to determine how underwhelming Elite's game designs are, although such a game would help a great deal to expose Elite's shortcomings. The catch however: It has to be released. Talk is cheap and pointing at the lip service other projects are paying for 'how it's done right' comparisons is potentially pretty embarrassing.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Lmfao you know this is a really stupid complaint and one I'm sure a bunch of people have made by now, I haven't bothered to google if there is an official response but why is the game called elite dangerous?

I know technically this is elite 4, but dangerous is the 7th out of the 9 combat ranks.

If the game was called like elite master (counting backwards) or elite competent (lol) then I could see it making sense. Even if you count mostly harmless as rank 0 it'd be Elite Expert. Basically there is no way for dangerous to be a clever replacement for 4 which means that's obviously not the rational for the name. So the only reason I can think of is "it sounds cool"

Edit: alright i looked it up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOYhoFYIWmw at about 4:50 min to 10:08min braben starts talking about why the game isn't called elite 4 even though it is, it sounds like it's basically so that they have more freedom with developing the game and that being considered elite starts at the rank of dangerous and that the only difference between a dangerous pilot and an elite pilot is the hours but skill wise they should be matched.

That was one of my first complaints about the game even before I started. I know it hearkens back to the series but its name makes zero sense unless you try to seek out an explanation.

vector824

I always figured it's because you're in the vacuum of space flying around giant stars at FTL speeds in a tiny tin ship... not to mention the fact you can die in a dozen different ways in this game... Seems more or less "dangerous" to me.

Volimar

If you can telepresence across the galaxy onto someone else's ship for multicrew, why can't we telepresence to a different station and pilot a ship that's stored there instead of having to fly there?

JoeMartin

If you can telepresence across the galaxy onto someone else's ship for multicrew, why can't we telepresence to a different station and pilot a ship that's stored there instead of having to fly there?

In 3114 a new law passed by the Pilots Federation, called the 'Non-Original Fungibles and Underwriting Necessities', allowed the organization to strongarm the Federation, Empire, and Alliance into generally outlawing stations from releasing ships on telepresence alone due to mounting concerns of verifying signal authenticity and the fraud possible, from both parties, therein.

Volimar

In 3114 a new law passed by the Pilots Federation, called the 'Non-Original Fungibles and Underwriting Necessities', allowed the organization to strongarm the Federation, Empire, and Alliance into generally outlawing stations from releasing ships on telepresence alone due to mounting concerns of verifying signal authenticity and the fraud possible, from both parties, therein.

Fucking fearmongers ruining it for everyone.

vector824

NOFUN

Dying.

I am immersed

I really wish they would fix this CQC bug. The lobby will have more than enough players to start, however the game won't start, it'll just say ”waiting for players to join." So you exit and search again, but you'll get placed into that same lobby. That lobby won't close until everyone leaves. Most people don't know this, so they just sit in the lobby and you just keep getting placed into it. There is no chat or anything, so you can't direct them to leave the lobby either. It's so frustrating. This has been a bug for months, like pre 2.2 and FD just doesn't give a shit. People are trying to play your game, but fuck it I guess! On the bright side I have been seeing a large influx of new players to CQC.

Burny

Can anybody give me a rough estimate how many hours it takes to scan your way up in Imperial Navy Ranks in Quince to get to the Cutter?

Also, where's the best spot to get imperial rank up missions? The bar shows 100% and I'm allied to the Quince Imp factions, but there are no rank up missions appearing.

DrBo42

Can anybody give me a rough estimate how many hours it takes to scan your way up in Imperial Navy Ranks in Quince to get to the Cutter?

Also, where's the best spot to get imperial rank up missions? The bar shows 100% and I'm allied to the Quince Imp factions, but there are no rank up missions appearing.

Took me 3 days with the Hip/Wu nonsense and Quince is supposed to be much faster. Sorry, only info I can lend.

As for the 100% thing you might need to logout but if you keep doing them they overflow so it's not a big deal.

Frontier announces development of unnamed movie tie-in game: http://www.pcgamer.com/elite-danger...source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

Frontier Developments—the studio responsible for Planet Coaster and Elite: Dangerous—has announced is acquisition of a top Hollywood movie licence to develop its third game franchise.

That's according to a press release posted this morning on the London Stock Exchange website, that suggests the English outfit is working on a new series based on an "enduring franchise of global renown." Beyond that, details are thin on the ground however the developer says more information will follow later this year.

"The third franchise is an important next step in our growth," says Frontier's chief executive David Braben. "We have chosen to license this particular IP to work with as our third franchise, because we believe we can create something very special. It is creatively stimulating, already has a high worldwide profile, and is a perfect match for our expertise."

Sounds like they want it to be a franchise. Don't you care scalp team members from the Elite teams!

Or, if you do, make it the designers, plz.

I wonder what game it could be. Beloved, globally-known franchise...the DinoPark Tycoon in me really wants this to be a Jurassic World themepark game, but I doubt it.

Reckheim

Man, ... I was 22k outside the bubble yesterday and decided to casually land on a planet while watching the super bowl.

Ended up accidentally boosting right onto the surface, now i'm back at the home station.

First time it ever happen to me, what a bummer.

vector824

Man, ... I was 22k outside the bubble yesterday and decided to casually land on a planet while watching the super bowl.

Ended up accidentally boosting right onto the surface, now i'm back at the home station.

So... basically role playing the Falcons eh?

Oooof. Sorry about your data loss man.

SmartBase

2.4 will just be a bit of conflict with Thargoids/"aliens", same old conflict zone mentality with maybe a bit of hyperspace interaction to keep it fresh. Add some new engineering blueprints to cope with different alien technology and to introduce another grind.

The next season/expansion will be headlined by basic atmospheric planets (like contemporary Mars).

I'd bet a few million credits worth of palladium on both but I'm broke after buying prismatics of every size.

danowat

Banned
Just after a bit of advice about ships, I am after another ship, and not really sure which one to get, I enjoy a bit of trading and a bit of bounty hunting, and while doing this, I also do a touch of exploration.

I have a Sidewinder, Adder, Cobra mk3, Viper mk4 and Type 6 transporter, and about 20mil cr, what should I go for next?

Was thinking maybe a Vulture for Bounty hunting, or a Type 7 for a larger transporter?, or is there anything that would be a decent upgrade that would serve both?

Burny

2.4 will just be a bit of conflict with Thargoids/"aliens", same old conflict zone mentality with maybe a bit of hyperspace interaction to keep it fresh. Add some new engineering blueprints to cope with different alien technology and to introduce another grind.
Realistic. There's no chance in the cold void of space hell that a sub-update to a season is going to give us a campaign. They have not even revised basic space exploration game mechanics since launch and that's "the easy part", being mostly a game programmer and design effort, combared to developing a campaign, that requires major artist and level/scenario design/AI man hours. Their ruins mission makes them look like people flailing around with their first scripts when trying themselves at game design. Scatter items. Pick up any one or two. Hit scan button while targetting something. Hardcode a response text for several dozen combinations and a failure text for unsuccessful tries. Oops, the re-activation is broken. Better log out and back in to reset the mission. Never moved past basic scripting to even consider any form of good game design.

The next season/expansion will be headlined by basic atmospheric planets (like contemporary Mars).

Still rooting for basic space legs, but you never know. In-universe Mars is supposed to be terraformed however and if it's inhabitable like earth, it'd be an earthlike, which I don't see happening as part of the next major update.

SmartBase

Realistic. There's no chance in the cold void of space hell that a sub-update to a season is going to give us a campaign. They have not even revised basic space exploration game mechanics since launch and that's "the easy part", being mostly a game programmer and design effort, combared to developing a campaign, that requires major artist and level/scenario design/AI man hours. Their ruins mission makes them look people flailing around with their first scripts when trying themselves at game design. Scatter items. Pick up any one or two. Hit scan button while targetting something. Hardcode a response text for several dozen combinations and a failure text for unsuccessful tries. Oops, the re-activation is broken. Better log out and back in to reset the mission.

Still rooting for basic space legs, but you never know. In-universe Mars is supposed to be terraformed however and if it's inhabitable like earth, it'd be an earthlike, which I don't see happening as part of the next major update.

That's why I said contemporary Mars and not Elite Mars :)

vector824

Just after a bit of advice about ships, I am after another ship, and not really sure which one to get, I enjoy a bit of trading and a bit of bounty hunting, and while doing this, I also do a touch of exploration.

I have a Sidewinder, Adder, Cobra mk3, Viper mk4 and Type 6 transporter, and about 20mil cr, what should I go for next?

Was thinking maybe a Vulture for Bounty hunting, or a Type 7 for a larger transporter?, or is there anything that would be a decent upgrade that would serve both?

AspX would serve you well, decent in a high RES or Nav beacon for bounty hunting, definitely good for cargo hauling or exploration.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0pit...202012h.Iw18WQ==.IwBhrSumg===?bn=Cargo/Bounty

Upgrade to A rated power plant and thrusters once you can (PP first). And remember rule #1, never buy anything without having the money for insurance left over.

Also, jump into a Li Yong-Rui for a 15% discount. For example: https://eddb.io/station?s=3&m=980&i=1&p=9

Top Bottom