• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

vector824

I'd like to share a few sites that really have helped me out with my E:D experience that a lot of us don't know/talk about. I feel like these sites don't get enough credit for the vast amount of information they provide. So I'll list them off with a short description.

Coriolis Shipyard EDCD - A ship outfitting site that provides a way to customize your ride without spending all those hard earned credits first.

Elite: Dangerous Database - It is just that, a massive site with information on stars systems, stations, outfitting, trade routes, commodities, factions etc. An absolute must for the Commanders in the trade profession.

Inara - Another site with a vast wealth of information. Popularly used for it's profile creator, it allows you to connect with a wing, add logs, and information that other commanders can view. It also keeps tabs on the E:D galaxy and updates information accordingly.

E:D Star Map - This tracks everywhere you go! Download an add-on that connects to the official E:D servers and it automatically imports and uploads the information to the star map. Read the FAQ here.

-- I suggest ED Market Connector as the add-on program to gather your data from E:D's servers. --

P.S. Edit: If you download and connect ED Market Connector to E:D Star Map it automatically updates information to Elite: Dangerous Database!

JoeMartin

I'd like to share a few sites that really have helped me out with my E:D experience that a lot of us don't know/talk about. I feel like these sites don't get enough credit for the vast amount of information they provide. So I'll list them off with a short description.

Coriolis - Shipyard - A ship outfitting site that provides a way to customize your ride without spending all those hard earned credits first.

Out of date, and has been for a while now unfortunately. The project has been updated and continued here, though: https://coriolis.edcd.io/

http://www.edshipyard.com/ Also is up to date, and while the interface is a little less flashy it is more informative, and has much cleaner and compliant management aid for engineering upgrades. Personally I prefer this one.

vector824

Out of date, and has been for a while now unfortunately. The project has been updated and continued here, though: https://coriolis.edcd.io/

http://www.edshipyard.com/ Also is up to date, and while the interface is a little less flashy it is more informative, and has much cleaner and compliant management aid for engineering upgrades. Personally I prefer this one.

Good to know, fixed my post. As long as some of the new comers in here see there are great tools to use I'd like to keep hearing what other people use.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The third party app that I absolutely never ever fly Elite without is EDDiscoery. In fact, I start up EDD first, and then Elite itself. Every single time.

JoeMartin

2 new ruins, turns out. On the same planet, no less. The hardware for both is of type 1 then 2 respectively, but the software is laid out differently than their previously discovered counterparts.

elyetis

According to the dev updates, they're actually duplicated for each crew member. So players joining a host ship shouldn't have a creadit disadvantage compared to playing in their own ship.
I hope it stays true ( and that it become true for wings too ), I really want to enjoy the multiplayer aspect of the game, but even with multiple friend owning the game, devs pretty much discourage you from playing in group.

Volimar

2 new ruins, turns out. On the same planet, no less. The hardware for both is of type 1 then 2 respectively, but the software is laid out differently than their previously discovered counterparts.

More power to them. My interest in the ruins is completely dead.

JoeMartin

More power to them. My interest in the ruins is completely dead.

QA guy confirmed yesterday that though portions of the ruins are bugged, all the necessary pieces to solve the ::mystery:: are in-game and functional, we just haven't found all of them yet.

I just got elite exploration.
The short range sightseeing missions are equivalent to half the mission reward as exploration data. I expect the long range ones are the same.

You need about 100 million in exploration data to go from pioneer to elite, or about 170 million from aimless to elite.

So, you can do the same by doing 200/340 million in sightseeing missions, which is much quicker than just exploring.

IMO they should reduce it to about 10-20% for the short range missions, but keep a higher percentage for the true exploration passenger missions (i.e. take me to the true north star)

I just got elite exploration.
The short range sightseeing missions are equivalent to half the mission reward as exploration data. I expect the long range ones are the same.

You need about 100 million in exploration data to go from pioneer to elite, or about 170 million from aimless to elite.

So, you can do the same by doing 200/340 million in sightseeing missions, which is much quicker than just exploring.

IMO they should reduce it to about 10-20% for the short range missions, but keep a higher percentage for the true exploration passenger missions (i.e. take me to the true north star)

"Now that I got mines, let's find ways to nerf this."

:D

Just messing with you, but yea I agree. Sightseeing missions that stay in the bubble should give a bit less Exploration rank than they do.

SmartBase

Have enough ruins been found to fully complete the data sets? I wouldn't mind heading out to see the sights again if Canonn have completed all of the bad gameplay.

"Now that I got mines, let's find ways to nerf this."

:D

Just messing with you, but yea I agree. Sightseeing missions that stay in the bubble should give a bit less Exploration rank than they do.

Yeah, I heard the Devs are going to fix it in 2.3, so get in there while it's hot.
Because knowing FDev, they'll over-nerf it so you'll be getting a 1% contribution while cutting the mission rewards by 90%. Like the bulk haul non-VIP passengers, that are now pretty rare and pay less than most data delivery missions.

Widge

I booted up and did a sole mission where I got 100k for taking booze to somewhere a few jumps away. Woo. 1/3rd a Cobra mk3

I really need to watch the Obsidian Ant "how to get going" thing as he dived in and had loads of fun action immediately in his sidewinder. Lots of combat, earnings, the works!

I partly don't like logging in ATM because the cockpit of the Adder sucks.

Everybody says mining also sucks, but I might get something for having a go at this down the line, might be therapeutic. Noted a current communist goal for it too.

Jedi2016

Keep saving up for that Cobra. That was my go-to ship for quite a while after I started playing. Very good all-rounder for new players.

vector824

I booted up and did a sole mission where I got 100k for taking booze to somewhere a few jumps away. Woo. 1/3rd a Cobra mk3

I really need to watch the Obsidian Ant "how to get going" thing as he dived in and had loads of fun action immediately in his sidewinder. Lots of combat, earnings, the works!

Everybody says mining also sucks, but I might get something for having a go at this down the line, might be therapeutic. Noted a current communist goal for it too.

Keep it up! Remember, don't buy unless you have the cash for a rebuy left over.

Bounty hunting is a good way to earn some fast cash at a RES or Nav Beacon. Wait until the security engage the pirate and pop off some shots to earn the bounty. Trading can make good money too, just make sure you'll turn a profit! Use EDDB to find good loops close to you.

JoeMartin

SDC's planetary base in Colonia:

.eJwFwcEOgyAMANB_4S7QUrHz7n2JuxOiBk3UEsDTsn_fe1_1lFONam8t19GY9aiLlFXXJiWmTSeRdG4xH1UvcpnYWlz2a7tbNcBAr4EdsvcOPDIbZEseyJNj16MdPJtJzvAu8oR57j5hdR0SBLQwWATsgAB70vlO6vcHUzIpjQ.XdZlQwhYra97PJ7h8NB1NMPHAdk

Called 'The Bone Yard"

fred

I started mining myself a couple of weeks ago and I've really been enjoying it!

No better feeling than launching a Prospector drone and finding loads of Low Temperature Diamonds!!!

I'm about half-way to Colonia in a Keelback, with about 21ly jump range.

Yep, it's painful, but I'm discovering lots of stuff on the way. Got 5 earth-likes so far, hopefully they'll stay undiscovered by the time I claim them. D:

Volimar

I'm about half-way to Colonia in a Keelback, with about 21ly jump range.

Yep, it's painful, but I'm discovering lots of stuff on the way. Got 5 earth-likes so far, hopefully they'll stay undiscovered by the time I claim them. D:

Good God are you insane?

Reminds me of the guy that went to Beagle Point in a Sidewinder.

JoeMartin

I mean more power to these guys said:
It will take way more than 4 hours though...I would estimate about 20, if you know exactly what you're doing, and the potential for it to take a lot longer is high. I don't even want to try to estimate how long it took me, but I was often having to just wait for people to show up in open, and was doing all of the scanning myself, and was having to figure out a lot of the combinations myself as well, so there was a lot of time dedicated to waiting and trial/error that I would save my next time through.

giphy.gif

Mengy

5JMorBw.jpg

Screenshot from the cmdr creator. EDIT: It was from the thread announcing the livestream dates/times, nothing other than the screenshot of note tho.

Okay, wait, so does that mean that the new camera feature for 2.3 is simply just a commander camera thing? I dearly hope that it can be used outside the ship too...

fred

I'm just hoping that they're going to fix the scale of the pilots when playing the game in VR, I started playing the game in VR about 4 months ago and when you look down at your in-game body it has the proportions of a 14 year old child. Way too small and skinny. Hopefully they're going to address this when they do the Commander Creator thingy.

Mengy

I think I've decided to not bother with Ram Tah's mission. The payout sounds nice but for the time investment it really isn't, and if you try to solve the combinations yourself without aids from the Canonn Group then it REALLY isn't. Maybe after 2.3 when (if) they fix the frequent disconnects, maybe then I'll give it a shot again.

Volimar

I think I've decided to not bother with Ram Tah's mission. The payout sounds nice but for the time investment it really isn't, and if you try to solve the combinations yourself without aids from the Canonn Group then it REALLY isn't. Maybe after 2.3 when (if) they fix the frequent disconnects, maybe then I'll give it a shot again.

Same here. You're basically following a boring ass walkthrough and if you mix something up you're boned.

Since the Synuefe ruins were discovered in October, hundreds of explorers, archaeologists and relic hunters have scoured the site for information about the race that created it. When engineer Ram Tah started researching the ruins, hundreds more joined the search, motivated either by a thirst for knowledge or by the promise of reward.

Now, Ram Tah claims to have made a significant breakthrough. In a statement, he said:

"Thanks to the hard work of many dedicated pilots – and in particular Commander Noodlz05 and his wingmates – I have isolated a signal in the Guardians' monolith network that will allow scanners to identify sites within 1,000 light seconds. This should make finding further Guardian ruins considerably easier."

"I would like to thank all those involved for their help. This was not an easy task, but together we have learned a great deal about the Guardians' fascinating culture."

Better late than never I guess.

JoeMartin

Shouldn't they have helmets? What if there is a canopy breach!

Yeah I imagine in practical application it would be something that snapped on as soon as the canopy starts taking damage. Real life? No fucken way I'd be in a combat function without wearing it all the time.

That and it's 2017 and we've already in-helmet dynamic HUDs on the F-35, so I can only imagine the HUDs of 3303 are going to be glass style in-retinal projections in the first place instead of on external surfaces.

Top Bottom