• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
It deploys when the canopy is breached. It's something that deploys from the neck. There's concept art of how it works.

Yup:

RXq7zlC.jpg

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I wonder if they're gonna "rescale" the size of some of the cockpits with this update, since on some ships like the vulture the cockpit is huge and the pilots seat looks comically tiny.

Burny

I wonder if they're gonna "rescale" the size of some of the cockpits with this update, since on some ships like the vulture the cockpit is huge and the pilots seat looks comically tiny.

Eh, you honestly consider it even in the cards that Frontier remodels half of the ships for a point-update?

It seems to me they've chosen the strangely oversized cockpits for their own reasons from the start, whatever those may be.

Same here. You're basically following a boring ass walkthrough and if you mix something up you're boned.

Better late than never I guess.

That's what they got for finishing it? Sometimes I don't even know why I expect FD to do anything decent. People already worked out a method that basically does that via loading times. Why even bother with this crap when this is all they give in return?

Volimar

That's what they got for finishing it? Sometimes I don't even know why I expect FD to do anything decent. People already worked out a method that basically does that via loading times. Why even bother with this crap when this is all they give in return?

No, that's not the reward. The reward apparently is a couple hundred million credits. If you need the money, I suppose it's easily worth it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It seems to me they've chosen the strangely oversized cockpits for their own reasons from the start, whatever those may be.

I always assumed the reason why they did this was because fdev were trying to "obscure" pilots and the internals so they didn't have to bother modeling them / detailing the cockpit for people looking from the outside in. Since this patch includes cmdr customization and apparently has a cockpit view it would make sense to considering at least scaling things better lol.

Some currently ships have ok scaled cockpits though, mostly the bigger ships and some medium ones like the FdL.

Burny

I always assumed the reason why they did this was because fdev were trying to "obscure" pilots and the internals so they didn't have to bother modeling them / detailing the cockpit for people looking from the outside in. Since this patch includes cmdr customization and apparently has a cockpit view it would make sense to considering at least scaling things better lol.

I find that hard to believe. Pilots where added relatively early (1.2 or 1.3 iirc?) and the seats have always been visible.

JoeMartin

Me about to open the thread: "oh awesome, what is FD adding!!"

Pfff please. Anything that might make the hamster powering their server have to spin the wheel a little faster they aren't adding.

But leave it up to the 2017 community to create basic, massive time saving tools eluding the grasp of 3303 software engineers.

Widge

I had 30 minutes of getting my XB1 pad to register in game and then a nice while of flying around a resource extraction zone shooting people in my terrible Adder. The single moment when I actually attracted some fire (from an Eagle), shields lost! Sparks flying! Shit it for a bit.

Flying around in the rings is fun though but I really felt sluggish flying around in this door stop that I'm in.

Think I got 197k in bounties, so that with my existing 110k puts me at nearly a Cobra. Want me some gimballed lasers for that feller!

Also need to start getting in the groove with the finger twister of buttons in combat.

I'm not quite down with the "bring us X mission" types. Someone asks for performance enhancers, I click galaxy map and I see the green medicine trade lines, I look at the source and I just don't see anything on the station info about the export I want.

Burny

We must be pretty close to the beta, as it's supposed to drop this month. Would anybody on PC be up for some beta-muticrewing?

Hakkelus

What are they still going to add in the game? Walking in space stations? What are the differences to Star Citizen when (if) both games are finished?

The game intrigues me but I keep seeing mixed reviews, people that says it's awesome and people that says there's nothing to do and it's a grind. What's your opinion?

The game intrigues me but I keep seeing mixed reviews, people that says it's awesome and people that says there's nothing to do and it's a grind. What's your opinion?

It's extremely cathartic when you're exploring, intense in combat. Fun for stints sporadically. It is the definition of a mile wide and an inch deep to me though. So it depends on what you're looking to get out of the game. It's not narrative driven, the quests aren't especially interesting and once you've seen a couple of regions you've kind of seen everything it. Flight and combat are great though.

Best thing I can recommend is watching some Youtube videos of the game over a longer session or watching someone play on Twitch.

Widge

You can find yourself sitting there thinking "what do I do now?" when you start. The game makes absolutely no roads to giving you a roadmap on what to do with your time. As I suppose Elite always was.

Back then, it was "start flying about, find a trade route, make your ship better with the money". After a while, it became about setting your own goals - fly to x corner of the map, go and survive in an Anarchy, jump to a new galactic region (there were 8).

Here, it is that expanded, and that is what compounds that sense of "I'm lost".

Set yourself a benchmark - I want to do some missions, I want to go to this place over here, I want to go do some combat, I want to earn cash for that ship. You can gradually carve a niche.

I decided to spend some time in a Resource Extraction Zone yesterday. I was flying around shooting the Wanted's in my turd of a ship, darting between the asteroids. It was fun. I'd like to get to grips with hauling a bit of cargo at some point, perhaps do a taxi service, look into some chill mining to some tunes. That's about it really.

I think that what you have to watch out for is powergaming possibly, you start to have your actions dictated by the most efficient credit to time ratios, and that is submitting to the grind.

It's awesome!
And it's a grind.

I truly love the game, by far and away my most played game for the last couple of years, but I won't pretend like it doesn't have it's issues. Like grinding, and sometimes having to get pretty imaginative to find something to do in the game. It honestly makes it hard to recommend to people because it takes a certain mindset to enjoy it, which relegates it to being pretty niche. Personally, I'm glad a game like this exists, but I get why a lot of people don't like it.

danowat

Banned
I think whether you enjoy the game or not would ultimately be down to your ability to make your own path and fun through the universe.

It's a sim, a pure sandbox, if you're expecting anything like a story, or a pathway, you'll be disappointment.

It's awesome!
And it's a grind.

I truly love the game, by far and away my most played game for the last couple of years, but I won't pretend like it doesn't have it's issues. Like grinding, and sometimes having to get pretty imaginative to find something to do in the game. It honestly makes it hard to recommend to people because it takes a certain mindset to enjoy it, which relegates it to being pretty niche. Personally, I'm glad a game like this exists, but I get why a lot of people don't like it.
In its original incarnation the grind was quite excessive. There really only was the three pillar activities to do, and only a handful of ways to accomplish each of them (if you're lucky). Nowadays I'm finding multiple ways to just chill while playing Elite.

If I get bored blasting things resource sites, I might go do missions; there seems to be a decent variety there these days. If missions get boring I might just drop down to a planet and SRV around looking for random signals there to mess with (low grav worlds for maximum SRV trick score, wooo). Or I might rummage around in unknown signals in space while interdicting targets of opportunity. I just came back from a run to Sag. A and that pretty much drained my exploration tank for a while, but I still look around on the galaxy map and get the itch to head somewhere interesting for screenshots. :)

And yes I get that all of that is still, technically, a grind. But at least it's not JUST one type of activity to scratch each of the game's itches (combat, exploration, trade).

JoeMartin

I really only do two principal things - 17 draconis for money, and PVP.

PVP, however, forces you to do more or less everything in the game because the barrier to entry via engineering is very high, and in order to unlock all of the engineers you more or less have to do all of the things, so in effect if you want to pvp you have to do all of the pve.

In its original incarnation the grind was quite excessive. There really only was the three pillar activities to do, and only a handful of ways to accomplish each of them (if you're lucky). Nowadays I'm finding multiple ways to just chill while playing Elite.

If I get bored blasting things resource sites, I might go do missions; there seems to be a decent variety there these days. If missions get boring I might just drop down to a planet and SRV around looking for random signals there to mess with (low grav worlds for maximum SRV trick score, wooo). Or I might rummage around in unknown signals in space while interdicting targets of opportunity. I just came back from a run to Sag. A and that pretty much drained my exploration tank for a while, but I still look around on the galaxy map and get the itch to head somewhere interesting for screenshots. :)

And yes I get that all of that is still, technically, a grind. But at least it's not JUST one type of activity to scratch each of the game's itches (combat, exploration, trade).

I agree, they've made strides in reducing the grindiness, but after several hundred hours, it starts to feel like everything is tedious lol, not really the game's fault there.I feel you on the Sag A* run, I've hardly left the bubble since I made my trip out there, and I'll be happy to never see the inside of an Asp again lol. Still, I'm glad I did it, and that was before "Jumponium", engineered FSDs, and Neutron boosts. Felt like a real accomplishment.

But that sums up the game as a whole: it will never tell you "go do X", nor will it tell you "Great job! Here's a reward!" You need to decide for yourself what you want to do, and derive your own sense of accomplishment from it. Some people just can't do it. I'm proud of my Sag A* sojourn, but aside from some scanning credits and rank, the game provides no reward for it. If you are the sort to be able to make your own adventures and goals, the game is pretty much unparalleled in my opinion; but if you need to have a story to progress through, or a clearly defined reward/objective to work towards, then you will probably see nothing but endless grind.

DrBo42

Very impressive creator if all these presets were made with it. Giving Black Desert a run for its money. Female 02 is gorgeous.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I’m at work, I won’t be able to watch until tomorrow most likely (stupid Valentine’s Day!!!!). Please post impressions, info, and pics people!!!!!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yo female CMDRs look great!

Really liking the fact that you can randomize individual parts, so if you can't sculpt a good nose just hit random until you get a base that was sort of what you wanted and edit it from there.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus this game... it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Everything they pull out is always extremely well made or as a certain inherent quality you don't find anywhere else. It's amazing.

Damn, they only showed the helmet for a moment! But glad you can choose to make it appear all the time or in emergencies only.

EDIT: Camera suite being shown off now. Sounds like multicrew won't be shown until Thurs, but they may talk about other 2.3 stuff today, too.

Cool. You can turn on a "lock to ship" option so you can fully control your ship while in camera mode.

I fear that camera is going to be destroyed if the community gets there teeth into it. There are a lot of anti-3rd Person camera people that are going to demand that you cannot pilot in that view.

DrBo42

I fear that camera is going to be destroyed if the community gets there teeth into it. There are a lot of anti-3rd Person camera people that are going to demand that you cannot pilot in that view.

Yeah, the ability to see behind you and all that is going to make people insane.

Top Bottom