• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

JambiBum

That's easy enough to say, but Frontier has in the past gimped features due to that same kind of criticism and I have no faith that they won't crumble again.

If they don't crumble on the multicrew teleporting thing then I don't think they'll crumble on this. I think they (hopefully) learned their lesson from the last time.

Mega ship = that giant ship in the PS4 trailer.

Can dock on some. Like a (smaller?) orbital space station with engines. They'll serve different purposes and have different looks eventually. Have weapons around the "hull" too.

JoeMartin

So I get to create a face I'll never see since the entire game happens in first person and a camera to make content for outside of the game. Also stations that occasionally move.

Meh.

DrBo42

Wow, they actually gave ship control from exterior views? Awesome.

NICE! Is it a medium or small pad ship?

Whatever Pad 13 is at Jameson Memorial. Looked medium to me.

5c80ac9b47.jpg

Seems to me the megaships will be essential when the Thargoid war hits. Either for evacuation out of the bubble or for refugee efforts. Maybe even troop deployment.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Whatever Pad 13 is at Jameson Memorial. Looked medium to me.

Pad 13 is a small pad, I think. I'm pretty sure it is. Interesting....

I wonder if they are making the Dolphin the long range passenger ship, designed to carry small groups on deep space journeys. All of those deep space passenger missions only have like groups of 3-7 people tops, a small passenger ship with a good jump range would be a perfect for them...

Summary. Meant to make this a thread, whoops.

Holo Me (character creator)
First screen

reddit:
(TLDR: It looks pretty sweet, all the snazzy stuff you'd hope for and solid presets for quick builds)
-New product that's been installed in your ship, you can access it at any point (Not in SRV or Fighter). Thinks it works in supercruise. ​It's a holographic representation.
-Options: Gender / Presets / Suit / Headgear ('helmet always on' option) / Patches (left shoulder decal, right shoulder decal etc).
-It uses the cockpit space to display the Holo while creating.
-Pre-beta build
-Standard animated features (blinks, eye direction, lip pursing etc on rotation)
-All presets = 'not artist made' - made using tools available to all starting from base model.
-Hair, beards, aged-ness (liver spots, eye bags) etc etc.
-Various suits colours Green/Purple/White/Navy Blue/Red etc
-Complexion Tab: Head archtypes with a slight age theme, ageing slider, skin blemish choices, 'asymmetry' slider, scars [1914 ish]
-Hair [1917]
-Face Tab: Cyborg eyes, different eye colors for L/R 'David Bowie' look if you want [1918]
-Can randomise each sub-section on its own (just eyes, just nose etc)
-Ton of customisation options if you want: (For eyes, type, 'type blend weight', distance, width, angle etc etc etc)
-undo/redo options
-Cosmetics tab, not shown, but some broad options: makeup (eyeshadow, blusher etc) / tattoo options [1927]
-Ed is a preset... (they spend ages messing with him, beard colour bit buggy)
-Helmet can be transparent or opaque [1934]
-All in 2.3
-Basic suit colours in 2.3 too [1935]
-Complex suit designs will be in store after 2.3 launch
-Well over a year by a small team on this [1937]
-Multicrew will be shown off on Thurs

Camera Suite
New camera
8b8zlffvmvfy.png

More screens

reddit:
-replaces debug camera
-pans around ship externally [1938]
-They look at little Ed in the ship
-Roll / Elevations / Speed
Unlock rotation / Lock to vehicle / lock to world
Zoom (can go back a long way) - toggles with Depth of Field
-Hide the HUD [1940]
-Can move ship while in camera mode [1941]
-When not locked to ship you get more control over camera movement
-Focal blur etc examples [1942]
-Pans way back until 'signal lost' [1943]
-Range of camera presets, which you can then move away from - under carriage with accompanying FDL barrage [1944]
-Missing UI etc, so hard to play like this, but keybinds work etc
-Originally called 'vanity cam', and that's the intent
-Locked to ship cam [1945]
-Works with SRV too
-More camera presets: ship cockpit, with all zoom and blur effects etc [1947]
-View from back of cockpit (can still shoot from here etc)
-Side pilot view
-co-pilot cam

Saud Kruger Dolphin

Mega Ship

reddit:
-​Have docking capabilities
-A range coming. First of many types.
-Will be capable of transporting ships?
-Vid of ship called 'Fisher's Rest' (Carrie Fisher ref then I guess :). It's the station looking thing, but will ship docking bays externally it seems, apparently slow transit speed. [1954]​

Possible ship naming? Check top right corner: "PLACEHOLDER SHIP NAME"
pk7d6hbmpvfy.png

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Oh wow it’s a mini Beluga!!!

Confirmed small pad ship too, and it looks like it might have the great Beluga front canopy view. Shit, if the jump range is great this could potentially be a viable new exploration ship!!!!!! O_O

Oh wow it’s a mini Beluga!!!

Confirmed small pad ship too, and it looks like it might have the great Beluga front canopy view. Shit, if the jump range is great this could potentially be a viable new exploration ship!!!!!! O_O
This looks interesting. Jump Range is key here indeed. Let's see

vector824

Yeah, the ability to see behind you and all that is going to make people insane.

I'm guessing that you've forgotten the fact that Elite had a rear-view camera over thirty years ago.

We have rear and side cameras on cars NOW. Why wouldn't we in the game?! I mean, it's not like piloting a football field sized ship blind is a good idea.

I am so stoked for this new camera system. I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

So the commander creator looked really great. I expect to have few problems creating a black man at least close to as handsome as I am. The monetization avenues seem pretty clear on it as well.

Looking forward to multicrew.

Dolphin is fucking ugly, in line with most of Frontier's designs.

So I get to create a face I'll never see since the entire game happens in first person and a camera to make content for outside of the game. Also stations that occasionally move.

Meh.

The goal is to have those pictures in the UI (Station services board) replaced with character creator based avatars in the future and I recall reading somewhere that they want to make it so your custom character is seen in certain places.

Plus you'll be able to see others in Multi Crew.

I honestly hope they add in Pilots Federation Profiles that you can look at kinda like a giant space phonebook and see all the stats, ships, etc... for players.

The goal is to have those pictures in the UI (Station services board) replaced with character creator based avatars in the future and I recall reading somewhere that they want to make it so your custom character is seen in certain places.

I honestly hope they add in Pilots Federation Profiles that you can look at kinda like a giant space phonebook and see all the stats, ships, etc... for players.

Not to mention legs. Presumably people will be able to congregate inside stations some day like in Destiny or Playstation Home, I guess? We'll see.

Burny

Everything they pull out is always extremely well made or as a certain inherent quality you don't find anywhere else. It's amazing.

Agreed. And far too often lacks certain things you may take as granted from other games. Sensible game design sometimes being part of the latter.

THIS NEW CAMERA THOUGH!

Yes, finally. The debug camera was a travesty. :)

I like the faces. Not photo realistic but convincingly human and with plenty of character. Did they say a word about long hair?

DrBo42

I'm guessing that you've forgotten the fact that Elite had a rear-view camera over thirty years ago.

I've not forgotten, I never played the original. Just making a comment on how insane the community is.

Agreed. And far too often lacks certain things you may take as granted from other games. Sensible game design sometimes being part of the latter.

Yes, finally. The debug camera was a travesty. :)

I like the faces. Not photo realistic but convincingly human and with plenty of character. Did they say a word about long hair?
Super long unkempt hair isn't in. They wanted to keep it realistic in the sense that someone had to fit it in a helmet.

JoeMartin

I guess, but for what I do with the game this patch seems like it's gonna be a whole lot of nothing.

In other news:

Thanks, Bill.

SmartBase

Checked out the stream and the character creator looks pretty good, same with the new camera system. Still not sure what I'm going to use them for besides finally being able to be Patrick Bateman in space.

Widge

I have 500k! I can afford me a brand new ship!

Now to find a place to buy one. I know I could search for it online now and get a direct point towards a location but I feel like feeling it out myself. Going to hit up my Galactic Map and head off to a new system with some big ol' space stations in them.

I think after that point, I'll start picking a line out to the Neogaf system, just to be over there and say hello to it. I think I'd like to get on the path of doing passenger missions, I just like the rhythmic appeal of picking people up and doing a big ass LY tour. I need to read up on some more ship mechanics though like fuel scooping and actually attempt to land on a planet at some point too.

I need to get on a group too. Mobius is at its size limit so hoping that gets resolved soon.

I have 500k! I can afford me a brand new ship!

Now to find a place to buy one. I know I could search for it online now and get a direct point towards a location but I feel like feeling it out myself.

Nah bruh. Take from someone with 1800 hours in the game. You don't search for ships and parts by "feeling it out" unless you don't mind wasting literally hours of your time going from one station to the next in search of ships or certain parts and possibly never finding what you're looking for for days.

It would be like getting in your car and driving street to street, then getting out of your car and walking around the block to see if there's a gas station present, then getting back in your car and doing the same at the next block. There's a reason maps were created, then gps after that. Don't throw away your time this way. There are plenty of other game mechanics that will sap your free time.

Use the tools.

Widge

Oh I mean I am going to sift out a map and look for a system with a big station in and a shipyard. Rather than going to a web browser "here is the cheapest Cobra Mk3" route. I feel like it'll give me a bit of an aim and a purpose. I'm kind of liking finding out about the universe right now. I'm sure flight fatigue willl set in and my opinions will change!

danowat

Banned
The commander creator **looks** amazing, and it's (always) nice to be able to customize your own avatar, however, personally, for me, it just doesn't actually add anything to actually playing the game (sim).

The camera on the other hand is something that I've wrestled with since day one, the current debug camera is terrible to control, at least on an XBO pad, so I am glad that has had some improvement.

I would like some more quality gameplay elements added, or at least a bit more depth added to the ones we already have.

vector824

Oh I mean I am going to sift out a map and look for a system with a big station in and a shipyard. Rather than going to a web browser "here is the cheapest Cobra Mk3" route. I feel like it'll give me a bit of an aim and a purpose. I'm kind of liking finding out about the universe right now. I'm sure flight fatigue willl set in and my opinions will change!

Nah man, Dreams is right. It will be plenty enjoyable if you manage your time and money correctly.

Widge

Is there any way you can "log on" and see your Cmdr detail online then? I can't remember anything about where I am and it'd be nice to see my deets via browser.

Burny

The commander creator **looks** amazing, and it's (always) nice to be able to customize your own avatar, however, personally, for me, it just doesn't actually add anything to actually playing the game (sim).

While that's actually the case, I feel it adds a ton of personality to the game. As for content... The mega ships ought to provide content, but it's Frontier and Elite after all.

Scan, shoot, scoop, repeat. (And watch a thousand loading screens in between)

I fear that with combat ship balance approaching more and more MMO like dimensions lately (10 minute TTK, "lvl 40 ship can't touch lvl 80 ship"), the hopes of intersting military missions are dwindling also. Interesting, as in ships have a purpose with a rock, paper, scissors mechanic to them. Essentially, what you'd expect from flight sim missions, with fighters tasked to hunt bombers or protect them, bombers tasked to attack bases or capital ships and all that jazz.

In Elite, every combat ship is your typical MMO warrior. The distinction is not so much in purpose, but in "level". Wherever possible, you'll alwys go for th biggest, baddest engieer modification touting murder boat there is. No purpose to a Viper or Eagle from a point onward, as anything they can do, the big ones can do better.

Widge

I fear that with combat ship balance approaching more and more MMO like dimensions lately

This is what I worry about reading on here. I see most people are on a journey to a given efficient setup, the same ship everywhere.

It'd be great to see some paper scissor stone things going on with some more mid/low tier ships.

I like how fighters have made bigger ships have more options but I'd like to see rent-a-wing as a thing. Want to roam the galaxy as a suite of Cobra and Viper, hire some drinking buddies.

JoeMartin

This is what I worry about reading on here. I see most people are on a journey to a given efficient setup, the same ship everywhere.

It'd be great to see some paper scissor stone things going on with some more mid/low tier ships.

I like how fighters have made bigger ships have more options but I'd like to see rent-a-wing as a thing. Want to roam the galaxy as a suite of Cobra and Viper, hire some drinking buddies.

Rock paper scissors may make mathematical sense but it is not necessarily fun. I firmly believe in a tier list of ships as this allows you to use expectation as a weapon. That and having played eve for a decade, I can say firmly that their tiericide campaign, while seeming like a good idea, actually robbed the game of fun. I fear the day that your only choice is rock or paper or scissors.

Also there's a pretty huge gradient to the possible loadouts, especially in pvp, particularly when it comes to weapon choice. Yes, a lot of people use the fdl (myself included most of the time), and for good reason. But it's not as though they cannot be beaten, and with the biweave change there's been a pretty huge swing towards biweaves and hull tanks.

Really the only cancer thing in combat right now is healing beams.

Effect

Perhaps it's been said already but I easily see those mega ships replacing many of the current stations we dock at in the human bubble. Once the aliens show up in full forced I expect a lot of stations to go bye bye.

Burny

Rock paper scissors may make mathematical sense but it is not necessarily fun..

What else would you put in place instead of the current power-creep determined combat balance?

If you would want to build interesting structured combat missions or create a sim-like feeling, it's absolutely essential. As I said, fighter, bombers, bases/capital ships. There's no such thing in Elite's missions to determine the choice of craft, because the whole game has only various sizes of scissors, with the smaller ones becoming essentially useless, due to power-creep and non-diversification.

I realize that it's necessary for the game Elite currently is, but it also locks the game into the current path and will hamper any sensibly strucured missions ala X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter. We can't really have engaging missions, if all missions are designed to the lowest common denominator of ships. Resulting in what is essentially a game of playing courier or "kill X" with zero depth beyond "find, shoot, return". You can't have anything larger than the big 3 up to "mega-ship" jumping unexpectedly into a player combat mission, if the player has potentially no means whatsoever of dealing with it, being in a meagly Viper.

JoeMartin

Ships I see with a regularity (PVP): FDL, FAS, FDS, Clipper, Courier, Vulture, Vette; occasionally a cutter/conda, and sometimes people lulsing about in V3s or winders. The AspX can be made a viable combat ship, and sometimes the rogue python shows up.

Ship fits and roles become far more interesting when your intention is to shoot another player, especially if they're expecting it and planning to shoot you back. What is or is not the best or most efficient becomes a little more muddled, because there is no singular best fit, and the player's ability to fly their chosen fit well is a huge portion of putting numbers and efficiency to use - the idea that there is some sort of entropic efficiency occuring with combat fits isn't true.

In PVE? Sure. But that's nothing to do with ship balance. You drop any amount of defensive engineering on any ship and PVE combat becomes trivial. The NPC flight routine is already predictable, and their weapon load is usually comical, am I really worried they're gonna work their way thru my 6k ehp? No. Because everything in PVE combat is predictable, yes you can distill a most efficient way to farm that predictability. But what you're asking for is only going to reinforce that predictability but on a larger scale.

As soon as you start pigeon-holing, the game will be less fun. Combat being decided from the outset because player 1 has platform X which beats player 2's platform Y which is beaten by player 3's platform Z may be "balanced," but it isn't fun. I believe that there should be a power creep tier list. The drama of combat is born of surmounting expectation with talent. There should always be a clerically best and worst ship, with tiers in-between. Let it be the fits, with a far greater variation and application, which determines whether that platform be a rock or a paper or a scissors, but don't remove the tiers, that accomplishes nothing.

Meh it's all a matter of perspective at the end of the day. Because of the reasons mentioned above, I don't give a hoot about the PVE end of things so long as I have a way to make money that isn't absurdly time consuming. if they gave the computer half a mind to fly ships well, especially wings working together, players would never strand a chance - see NPC 2.1 AI.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So this little rant comes from a pvp perspective:

I really do hate that with this inflated health pool situation the smaller ships have effectively no real roles in combat situations unless you're just pve-ing.

The courier is now relegated to being a healing beam support ship in wing fights, when before it could actually deal decent damage.

Right now having the most amount of hard points is way too important because otherwise you're looking at fights longer than 10 minutes, and that's with optimal time on target.

I'm always flip flopping on whether engineers are good for this game or not.

Pros:
-Fun weapon diversity, a lot of things that previously were never used are seeing a lot of use now, and things that were only seldom used are getting more use. The bonus effects allow you to do all sorts of interesting things too
-Dirty Drive tuning mixed with distributor upgrades makes flying ships SOOOO FUN
-Power plant upgrades and shield / hull upgrades allow for ships to be fit completely different than intended which allows for a lot of interesting flexibility and depth when fitting a ship.
-Jump range gets a great boost which helps combat ships get around, but ship transfer has mitigated that a good bit.

Cons:
-Inflated fucking health pools are a goddamn disaster, chances are unless your opponent and you have previously decided on a fight to the death the other person is going to be able to high wake out no problem once their shield breaks. It leads to long encounters that stop feeling exciting and just feel like a test of endurance to see who fucks up first.
-Too many ways to plug holes in ships inherent weaknesses. This kind of contrasts with my point about all the upgrades allows you to fit ships differently than intended. Basically though because of engineer upgrades you're able to take a ship like the vulture whose weakness is its pitiful powerplant and upgrade it so that you can fit power hungry modules. You can give ships that were intended to be shield tanks the ability to be hull tanks and vice versa. You can give shields the ability to negate their inherent weakness to thermal damage and make them fully resistant to all types of damage, and finally you can give ships that aren't meant to be that fast and maneuverable, go fucking fast and turn on a dime. With DD5 on an FdL you have a ship that is more maneuverable and faster than a stock imperial eagle with 3A enhanced performance thrusters.

I can't help but feel like engineering needs a massive overhaul that's never going to come.

One tip. Li-yong Rui. Systems controlled or exploited by him give a 15% discount at shipyards/outfitters.
You don't have to be a member of his powerplay faction. It's a bonus for everyone.
You probably know to look for high tech systems for better equipment selections.

His best shipyard is probably
Ray Gateway
, but it won't sell everything.

Volimar

One tip. Li-yong Rui. Systems controlled or exploited by him give a 15% discount at shipyards/outfitters.
You don't have to be a member of his powerplay faction. It's a bonus for everyone.
You probably know to look for high tech systems for better equipment selections.

His best shipyard is probably
Ray Gateway
, but it won't sell everything.

That's my home base for exactly that reason. All my main ships but the Vette were bought there, the outfitting is pretty good and the market has a nice selection so more often than not I can just pick up a hold full of whatever the newest CG is asking for on the way to its system.

Manzoon

Banned
Hey all, recently confirmed account but long time lurker, yeah that 15% discount really helps when you start fitting some of the larger ships for the first time.

Now that it's been in the wild for a bit, was wondering if people's thoughts had changed or solidified on [SHIP TRANSFERS]? I have a few ships, I've wanted to use it (mostly to cart my tricked out FDL around to combat community goals), but every time I baulk at the cost.

Volimar

After watching Obsidian Ant's overview of the livestream, I wonder if we'll be seeing some decent machinima come out of the new camera system.

Top Bottom