• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Widge

One tip. Li-yong Rui. Systems controlled or exploited by him give a 15% discount at shipyards/outfitters.
You don't have to be a member of his powerplay faction. It's a bonus for everyone.
You probably know to look for high tech systems for better equipment selections.

His best shipyard is probably
Ray Gateway
, but it won't sell everything.

Ha, didn't read this until after my session tonight. I jumped one system, bought a Mk3, put a load of cargo in it and a SRV and tried a planet landing. I didn't really have a clue what I was up to down there tbh so need to get some more tips on planets.

After watching Obsidian Ant's overview of the livestream, I wonder if we'll be seeing some decent machinima come out of the new camera system.

This is going to let people be basically dedicated camera men via multi crew.

I imagine we are going to get some great videos out of this.

Volimar

Finally got my Vette out to an engineer to work on my FSD range since the commodities were removed. Got 4 more ly into my jump range.

So how does the alien ruins scanning work? It's supposed to be from 1000 ls away. So does it show up as a POI or what?

vector824

Hey all, recently confirmed account but long time lurker, yeah that 15% discount really helps when you start fitting some of the larger ships for the first time.

Now that it's been in the wild for a bit, was wondering if people's thoughts had changed or solidified on it? I have a few ships, I've wanted to use it (mostly to cart my tricked out FDL around to combat community goals), but every time I baulk at the cost.

Nice! Welcome! Use what exactly?

This is going to let people be basically dedicated camera men via multi crew.

I imagine we are going to get some great videos out of this.

I CANNOT WAIT for this new camera system. It has been my biggest complaint of all the the things wrong with E:D, and has been the one thing I would have changed immediately. I'm very excited to see what people are going to do with it.

Manzoon

Banned
Nice! Welcome! Use what exactly?

I CANNOT WAIT for this new camera system. It has been my biggest complaint of all the the things wrong with E:D, and has been the one thing I would have changed immediately. I'm very excited to see what people are going to do with it.

Haha, that was extremely poor editing on my part. I was on mobile and I guess I deleted the words 'ship transfer' somehow.

Widge

My options menu is behaving weird. I go to scroll to edit control options but it won't follow the cursor beyond the bottom of the screen. If I go to options beyond it, it just gets all jittery.

Trying to find the fricking option to invert headlook on XB pad as I farted about with the config and reset it when it wasn't responding in game at all.

My first take off in the Mk3 after going from an Adder was hilarious. Heading to the letterbox I completely botched it up in a "WHOA. This thing really moves." fashion. Reverse, start again.

Going to hit wiki to actually understand planets. I feel I wasted a big bunch of time farting about in this place with data points and turrets that did nothing...

Burny

I'm half expecting the immuhrsion defense force to chime in and demand an in-universe lore explanation for the camera. It can't possibly be that we're playing a bloody game that ought to damn well let us oogle at our real life cash payed ship paint jobs in a sensible manner, without doing backflips for it or overconvoluting the whole thing with some lore bullshit that has more holes than a Swiss cheese.

Power Play decals are free in the store right now: https://www.frontierstore.net/usd/powerplay-decal-pack.html

Some cool fan art, via reddit:

EDRPG_A006.jpg

EDRPG_A005.jpg

DrBo42

Ship name confirmed at the top right. Some new chat things going on.

Faces in chat!

Revamped friends list

History tab

Idle state (no role selected)

Session report

Gunner UI

Adding turreted mining lasers

Data Link Scanner in modules (Is available to gunner role as well) - No word on what that is yet

Oh shit, Gunner gets a full 360 degree third person camera for turret control. MY IMMERSION...!!!

EDIT: Huh. When the Gunner was targeting someone, the targetted ship's information had the placeholder "SHIP_NAME" which we know is coming, but also had "SHIP_PLATE". Wonder what that is?

Ooooh, mining turrets coming!

DrBo42

Oh shit, Gunner gets a full 360 degree third person camera for turret control. MY IMMERSION...!!!

EDIT: Huh. When the Gunner was targeting someone, the targetted ship's information had the placeholder "SHIP_NAME" which we know is coming, but also had "SHIP_PLATE". Wonder what that is?

Ooooh, mining turrets coming!

I can already see the salt mines flowing.

Hey, full bounties for all Wing members coming in 2.3! That's nice.

Otherwise, this stream is honestly a little boring. Not that the concepts aren't cool, but I want to see this stuff in action. Show us some combat.

EDIT: Ah, here we go.

DrBo42

Nerfing shield boosters again. Lol.

Honestly I can't imagine people really taking Gunner role or ships outfitting for turrets. Turrets are shit. It's just going to be people using the camera or flying fighters. Or a mining crew.

Honestly I can't imagine people really taking Gunner role or ships outfitting for turrets. Turrets are shit. It's just going to be people using the camera or flying fighters. Or a mining crew.

Yeah :-\ They say this is meant to just be a "drop in and have fun" feature, not necessarily for long missions or stuff like that. But, your ship essentially has to be outfitted *for* Multi Crew if you want to take advantage of the Gunner role via turrets.

SmartBase

They better make huge turrets so I can sit back and let someone else do all the work.

No SRV multi-crew seems like a massive oversight and missed opportunity.

Burny

Yeah :-\ They say this is meant to just be a "drop in and have fun" feature, not necessarily for long missions or stuff like that. But, your ship essentially has to be outfitted *for* Multi Crew if you want to take advantage of the Gunner role via turrets.

Or you just slap fighters in there and two people have stupid fun hurling those around, while the helm uses their usual guns. :)

They did say multi-crew isn't the best part of 2.3 so there's at least some hope for something more interesting.

Realistically? I think it most likely has something to do with the whole Alien or "The Missing" narration. Multicrew + character creator being the major features of 2.3, I sure as hell don't expect them to pull out an unannounced major game mechanic or feature on the same level of complexity as those.

DrBo42

Or you just slap fighters in there and two people have stupid fun hurling those around, while the helm uses their usual guns. :)

Realistically? I think it most likely has something to do with the whole Alien or "The Missing" narration. Multicrew + character creator being the major features of 2.3, I sure as hell don't expect them to pull out an unannounced major game mechanic or feature on the same level of complexity as those.

I agree it's most likely something like that. Not expecting a gameplay feature.

Begun, the immurshun wars have.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

I'm glad they're looking at shields but man nerfing shield boosters isn't even the proper solution. I think resistances are a major issue when it comes to inflated hp, because getting full omni resistant shields is pretty common place now thanks to being able to mod resists on boosters and then throw in thermal resist on the main shield.

If you're in an FdL for example you have 4-5 boosters fit on your ship in most builds, if you get g5 thermal resist on your main shield and then do 2 g5 resist augment boosters and 2 g5 heavy duty ones it's not exactly difficult to get 1100mj on a bi-weave with an average of 55% resists on thermal and kinetic and over cap on explosive resist.

When you put 4pips to shields that effectively gives you a damage resistance that would equate you to having something like a 5k mj shield. Which is utter insanity, because then you have to consider that it's a bi-weave, which means they're probably sporting a good hull tank under it, and because it's a bi-weave that means it's actually possible for the shields to come back online during combat.

This is why cascade torpedoes are a thing
This is why PAs are everywhere

The best way to "nerf boosters" would be to make it so you can't mod resistances to them. Because raw MJs aren't the real issue here. In fact I think a hard nerf to boosters would ultimately hurt trader shields more than combat ships.

But that's just my interpretation of the situation.

Volimar

Thanks for the heads up on the decals.

I wish we had a global chat. If Ram Tah can send me messages about the ruins from a dozen systems away then we should have a galactic CB to talk to other CMDRs if we want. It's completely a use it if you want it, ignore it if you don't thing, so I'm sure the community is against it completely.

DrBo42

I just realized: his ship was named the "Rancarous Bison", but I don't actually see the name anywhere on the ship itself? Maybe the ship names won't actually appear graphically on the ships at all. That would be disappointing.

They'd have to tune it for all available ship paints, determine ship wear around the text, text size scaling based on length of name. Not a super easy thing. Not super hard either. This is FD though. It took 2 years just to get it in the UI.

Widge

I... I literally cannot believe the thought processes here.

You cannot have 3PV on a turret because the camera that renders the view cannot exist physically in the game.

I mean WHAT.

I have a great idea for 3.0! Add a branch with realism for all those guys! Wanna fly from earth to the moon, ah well, takes a loong time. Wanna shoot in space? ah well, no audio playing, crashed your ship? Too bad, create a new account, dead is dead.

And leave us alone with our GAME!

I... I literally cannot believe the thought processes here.
You cannot have 3PV on a turret because the camera that renders the view cannot exist physically in the game.
I mean WHAT.
The whole ship can be equipped with cameras and the ships board computer is generating the image. Voila! It's nearly 300 years in the future, there should be real time rendering/raytracing improvements :D

Sibylus

Banned
Instant respawns across tens of thousands of lightyears, instant comms, simplified flight mechanics, not losing sensor lock/being able to scan through solid objects, black holes effectively being invisible-walled... but instant ship/module transfers and camera drones are the breaking points of immersion for some people.

cm-vi2.gif

Realism = immersion is a plague. Not true in the slightest, either.

Sibylus

Banned
For being such sticklers for realism, a lot of these folks really have no idea of the state of present-day technology, let alone what will be possible in 1300 years.

Reckheim

For being such sticklers for realism, a lot of these folks really have no idea of the state of present-day technology, let alone what will be possible in 1300 years.

Or that ED is a video game. If they want actual realism they should join the Air Force; spend 3 years learning how to fly a jet and then actually have some real realism.

DrBo42

Top Bottom