• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Feels good. About to get access to my final Power Play weapon (Enrorcers, for all the small hard points on my small ships) and will need to roll maybe 10 new weapons. After that I was definitely going to be looking for something to do. Beta comes at a perfect time for me.

You monkeys should add CMDR Heavenly Hammer if you haven't already.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Whoa, we got a flurry of Frontier responses today to the beige planet issue in OA's thread, and they are actually promising!!!

My apologies for not responding sooner, this issue has been on my list to chase up for a while. The reason for the difference being observed on the rocky worlds is the change to the new material system - in theory this is more accurate as it uses the chemical properties to determine the colour (obviously I'm simplifying a bit here!), however the problem is that those colours were based on Earth standard colouration for those materials, and most of those are beige/brown rather than the colours you might observe in the myriad of other possible conditions. We're currently working on a more flexible material system, and this will necessitate a fresh balance pass on these. That's not going to be in 2.3 though.

Michael

I suspect it was part of the same change. We've had a few changes so far that will change the planets topography - usually in small amounts, but it will vary.

Michael

There were some changes done which will have affected the geology in some certain circumstances. These were only done as otherwise it was producing terrain that would crash in some cases or have other bad bugs like being able to fly through the terrain. It would result in players being kicked to the main menu, so the issues had to be addressed.
Rocky ice planets were a prime example of some particular combinations of geological data causing rifts too sharp and severe for sensible physics data to be produced. Sometimes the rift would be so sharp, unfortunate sawtoothing artefacts would be produced.
There were cases where overlapping large craters were not being handled quite right, causing drops sheer enough to look wrong and also cause bad physics data again. Sometimes the crater would get filled with very incorrect roughness - fixing this was a scientific accuracy concern.

So, no fixes for 2.3, but possibly in the near future, as they do agree that it is an issue needing fixing. Nice, very nice.

Sibylus

Banned
Arguments against instant ship/module transfer seemingly originate with folks who don't grok how car rentals are physically possible.

Burny

I didn't even know there were arguments against these things...the hell...

'Arguments' against those made Frontier cave after they were announced as instant and put timers in instead, before even letting them go into Beta the way they were announced. Frontier even made a poll for Elite players with some 70% or so of the participating people voting for transfer timers.

As I said, zero sum bullshit. If you would like a nose full of what types of people we're dealing with, have a fleeting look at this sterling thread, with ample explanation why everybody criticizing the game is just an insta-gratification type and disingenuous to the devs (funny, had the same line of glossing over issues from some SC crowd a while ago). Spruced up with a good portion of "everybody but me is an idiot" and "back in the day everything was better and meaningful" from certain posters. 100 points if you can spot the posters I'm talking about.

Any ideas on a fun ship for me and two other people can crew together? I was going to re-equip the trade anaconda to one with a fighter bay and a bunch of 2-3 level turrets of beams and multicannons. I think I need to earn another 40 million before it will be possible though.

E-flux

Arguments against instant ship/module transfer seemingly originate with folks who don't grok how car rentals are physically possible.

I'm one of the people who voted for the transfer times, mostly because i felt like it would kill the ship variety that people use even more since now they could just spawn in the dedicated fighting ship to the place of their choosing, even if it would be for a fee. Plus the car rental thing wouldn't really make sense anymore since after the engineers update we have some high tech modifications on our ships that wouldn't be available on those ships, or at least that's how i understood the engineers, shit that nobody else but them can make.

And i'm completely okay with those new camera modes and turret-o-visions they have coming.

I'd probably be 100% okay with ship transfer times if you could make remote requests. "I'm going to travel the 200ly to this combat CG using my Asp, but I want my Vulture to be waiting there for me by the time I arrive."

Currently, you have to arrive, then request, and fill up that dead time waiting with ???

Sibylus

Banned
I'm one of the people who voted for the transfer times, mostly because i felt like it would kill the ship variety that people use even more since now they could just spawn in the dedicated fighting ship to the place of their choosing, even if it would be for a fee. Plus the car rental thing wouldn't really make sense anymore since after the engineers update we have some high tech modifications on our ships that wouldn't be available on those ships, or at least that's how i understood the engineers, shit that nobody else but them can make.

And i'm completely okay with those new camera modes and turret-o-visions they have coming.

Moot against the fact that a destroyed ship will gain back its engineered modifications: regardless of the distance and for free.

I'd probably be 100% okay with ship transfer times if you could make remote requests. "I'm going to travel the 200ly to this combat CG using my Asp, but I want my Vulture to be waiting there for me by the time I arrive."

Currently, you have to arrive, then request, and fill up that dead time waiting with ???

This would make the system a lot less bothersome, to be certain.

Effect

Been wondering is there was a NeoGaf private group or does everyone just add each other?

CMDR NeoStar9 if anyone feels like adding me. Will add some others tonight.

elyetis

I'm one of the people who voted for the transfer times, mostly because i felt like it would kill the ship variety that people use even more since now they could just spawn in the dedicated fighting ship to the place of their choosing, even if it would be for a fee.
Imho it does the exact opposite, it make having a multipurpose ship the best answer over multiple Specialized ships since you won't have to deal with the delay. More than that, it also prevent/discourage me from playing different profession ( trader/bounty hunter/explorer ) since you usually play each aspect of the game in different solar system, so the added delay encourage you to go to one place and stay there grinding the same thing over and over again.
That's also yet another thing which make playing with your friends far less interesting.

Burny

I'm one of the people who voted for the transfer times, mostly because i felt like it would kill the ship variety that people use even more since now they could just spawn in the dedicated fighting ship to the place of their choosing, even if it would be for a fee.

Only that people would just use their quickest ship to get around and spawn their combat ship, should've brought home another message: Travel in combat ships is shit. Why would anybody not travel in their combat ship if it wasn't, while they're out for combat?

If it wasn't, players wouldn't give a damn about changing ships only for travel. As such this has the opposite effect. People still use whatever ship they damn well like when it's suited best for the task. Only they get thoroughly fucked in terms of how many loading screens they need to watch. Or outright transfer the ship and kill the time in between. It's not that changing the outfitting of the ship for convenient travel or outright changing to a travel ship is even an option, when you want to do combat at the end.

As such, the bullshit ship diversification Frontier Game Design™ has come up claims another victim that could've been a good game design decision instead. It even achieves the complete offposite of what you hoped it would: It kills ship diversification for mid range travel for anybody without a high tolerance for travel time. Because there are ships that get the job done best and they're not combat ships. If those ships are equipped as such, jump range is again gimped.

Sometimes it needs taking the bull by the horns instead of trying to take agency away from the players. If players don't want to travel in combat ships, it's not a sign to force them to, it's a bloody sign that travelling in combat ships is shit. The appropriate question then that needs to be asked is why?

The whole bloody underlying issue, is that some inane genius at Frontier game design thought that err... balancing overworld travel by associating how many bloody loading screens players have to watch with ship type. If there ever was a completely asinine notion in games design, this is it. Any game designer who respects their player's time, would've made actual player progression and skill the sole factor when they already were faced with the issue, that travel means watching a bunch of loading screens.

I'm still hoping they realize this at some point down the line and do a basic rebalance, but with their inability to even spruce up basic exploration mechanics (dance, little space doughnut of waiting, dance!) that hope is slim. Not to mention the immersion idiote brigade crying foul whenever something deverges from the game as it is currently.

That would alleviate the issue, but still make it entirely useless for something it was initially proposed for by Frontier: You're in a system and spontaneously find a juicy mission or CZ you want to take up. Instant transfer would've made sure you got to exchange time played the way you want for the credits the transfer costs you (e.g. by taking that mission or going into the CZ). A mark of good design: The player gets to chose whichever way they get to spend the time to achieve the ingame credits required for transfers. Without having to twiddle your thumbs at the bloody timer or outright say "fuck it" and log out, to later come back or not. And without having to travel there and back again yourself manually, because apparently by large, the player base agrees that travelling in Elite is so un-fun, that ship transfer was necessary. Seeing as it was a much requested feature.

Now, there's zero skill involved and agency is taken from the player. Use an sub-optimal ship or get fucked with loading screens. As I said, tradeoff my ass. Alternative: Spend credits to be able to have the game do something for you, but you're not allowed to do what you want at once. Kill time or log out.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The easiest solution I can think of would be to make fuel scoops way more powerful and make them a utility slot instead of class based. An A rated scoop always fills you up in 30 seconds and an E rated takes 3 minutes.

If you're gonna make me jump 3x as much to get to my location in my combat ship then at least don't make me sit and wait every 3 jumps.

Traveling should feel longer in a combat ship than one built specifically for long distance travel, but getting around the bubble should feel easy for anyone with an A rated ship.

Getting ships like a vulture or FDL engineered has always felt like a total hassle because of traveling to the locations.

Burny

Traveling should feel longer in a combat ship than one built specifically for long distance travel, but getting around the bubble should feel easy for anyone with an A rated ship.

No it shouldn't. The mere notion that there are long range travel ships and those that aren't for overworld MMO movement is idiotic. That's the asinine notion Frontier have promoted by their game design and people fail to critically question it. If your typical MMO warrior class takes twice as long to get anywhere in the overworld as anybody else and they have to travel frequently to get to their actual game content, that's asinine. There's no justification, other than a big middle finger to respecting player time.

As long as travel is a trivialized part of the game, and watching loading screens in Elite and driving around glowing orbs is (it pales in depth of the mechanic even compared to the somewhat often cited Euro Truck simulator), all ships need about the same jump range. Shoving down loading screens the players' throat because of ship choice is unacceptable. Alternatively: overworld travel time needs to be equalized betwen classes by whatever other means they can come up with.

While there are no other sensible means of equlizing that time however, same max jump range is the easiest working solution. What if that exposes the lack of distinction of exploration ships? It's not a combat ship player's problem that exploration base mechanics have all the depth of staring at a space doughnut and can be done with any old ship, so long as you can stomach the loading screens and refuel times. Trying to justify exploration ship distinction by jump ranges while they lack any other defining trades is a classical sunken cost fallacy. We've already thrown game design effort in the gutter, let's waste some more that could potentially be used for sensible game design.

Edit: As such, shortening refuel times is not the solution, but only a slight alleviation of the symptoms. It's again just dancing around the issue: Why do combat player need more loading screen shoved down their throat?

E-flux

I think that the true problem with those fighters is the bad & boring mission "design" they have, it's a sad thing when the tutorial you have is the best set of missions in the game. If frontier doesn't fuck this up, i think the decision they did is going to be better one long term even if we still have to travel large distances to get anywhere worthwhile.

And about the whole gameover/rebuy screen, i know this is arbitrary as hell but i wouldn't really count that to be "in-universe" even though you need to pay to get back to a station, since whenever someone would bring up the whole realism thing you could always just ask about what happens to your pilot and how does he get back to the last station he visited.

And yes, i have seen people try to explain it by mini-fsd's attached to the escape pod that can jump thousands of light years at a time, which is complete bullshit.

Off the topic, is there a way to find volcanism? Is it randomly created or are the places which yield those outcrops consistently?

This is how i hoped it would work when they implemented the feature.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah I guess you're right actually, I never thought about it from the perspective that building a long range ship is actually just a huge crutch to actually developing exploration ships into something meaningful.

While it can be satisfying to put together a stupid shuttle together (like a jump range optimized hauler than can do like 35ly before engineers for about 1mil) it doesn't change that traveling is a part of the game that is frustratingly time consuming and an unnecessary barrier to the actual activity you want to do.

DrBo42

Yeah I guess you're right actually, I never thought about it from the perspective that building a long range ship is actually just a huge crutch to actually developing exploration ships into something meaningful.

While it can be satisfying to put together a stupid shuttle together (like a jump range optimized hauler than can do like 35ly before engineers for about 1mil) it doesn't change that traveling is a part of the game that is frustratingly time consuming and an unnecessary barrier to the actual activity you want to do.

Intentional since the availability of activities is pretty small.

SmartBase

Even the crew are so bored they rushed their way to Elite

rank4fpdq.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mengy

Sweet, Eurogamer wrote a good article about the beige issue with Elite post 2.2, and in it they mentioned Obsidian Ant’s efforts, the evidence from Erimus, and they even mentioned my efforts to bring the issue to the attention of both the community and Frontier!!!!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-23-elite-dangerous-players-noticed-the-galaxy-turned-beige

And so Mengy set off into deep space to survey as many worlds as possible in a bid to compare their appearances and colours...

Maybe with some media pressure we can get Frontier to prioritize this higher than they normally would! :)

Burny

Known issues list for 2.3 Beta:

2.3 Beta Commanders - Horizons Known Issues

Chained Missions

Players may experience a trade disruption due to chained missions not spawning successfully after completing the first pirate mission [NEW]
Chained missions may appear even though chain ends [NEW]
Piracy Heat chain currently does not spawn [NEW]
Piracy Deal chain currently does not spawn [NEW]

Multi-Crew

Match Making

Some users may not be able rejoin Multi-Crew after being disconnected [NEW]
Attacking a wanted ship as the Gunner on a multi-crew ship causes the player to receive a bounty notification but not actually receive bounty [NEW]
If the Captain is in a Lawful Multi-Crew session and commits a crime for the first time, the session is immediately ended [NEW]
Accepting an in invite from a player in a private group which you are not a part of will give error message
Players may receive double invitation [NEW]
You are able to accept an invite to Multi-Crew when in solo mode [NEW]
Invitations remains after captain disbands crew and players receive no feedback when using it [NEW]

Crash

If the helm self-destructs during a Multi-Crew session, players that exit the game after returning to their own ship may experience a crash [NEW]

Visual

Joining a Captain while they are in a hangar will result in your session appearing to be on the surface instead [NEW]
Station orientation may be out of sync on non-helm Multi-Crew player [NEW]
Crew members are currently not visible through the windows of the ship as a fighter [NEW]
From the crew perspective, the entire ship interior may flash black when jumping to and from supercruise [NEW]

UI

Gunner HUD ring may not appear correctly unless captain deploys hardpoints [NEW]

Hologram damage feedback doesn’t show between all Multi-Crew members [NEW]
GUI sounds come through all cockpit seats, causing multiple GUI sounds to be present in ships with multiple seats [NEW]

Crime/Scanning

Basic ship scan data is not replicated to crew members in the "idle" role [NEW]
When the canopy is breached only the captain will receive a warning [NEW]
Auto kick system seems to have a significant delay before kicking [NEW]

Holo-Me
GUI Issues

UI may Jumps when switching between different FOVs [NEW]
Chin clefts shouldn't be listed under scars [NEW]
Make-up shouldn't be listed with tattoos and war paint, should be a separate category [NEW]
Make-up shouldn't be listed with tattoos and war paint, should be a separate category [NEW]
Randomise option on patches allows you to use ranks you haven't unlocked [NEW]
Randomise hair colour is too random [NEW]

Avatar flickers when transitioning from external to internal vanity cam [NEW]
Slight delay on head appearing in Vanity camera, no delay on the body appearing [NEW]
Multi-Crew members aren't visible in cockpit when main player is in a fighter. [NEW]

Graphical Issues

In VR, avatar textures may flicker when the commander is near the edge of the view [NEW]
Commander's body is being rendered when player is in outfitting [NEW]
Character vibrates when using Holo-Me when docked in a rotating station [NEW]
When life support is activated due to low fuel, the full-screen effect for the breathing mask appears but the avatar doesn't switch to wearing a helmet [NEW]
Helmet icons currently don’t show helmets [NEW]
​When life support is activated due to low fuel, the full-screen effect for the breathing mask appears but the avatar doesn't switch to wearing a helmet [NEW]
Default avatar icon may have black and yellow squares as the background [NEW]
Helmet icons currently don’t show helmets [NEW]

Vanity Camera

When viewing a fighter deployment via vanity camera the fighter bay pops rather than animating away [NEW]

How to aid with our investigation:

1. Be sure to use the bug reporting template provided. More information on the template here.
2. If you find your issue on another thread be sure to add your information to it, doing so will give us a better grasp on how common the occurrence is and its severity level within the community.
3. Be sure to provide as much information as possible such as a Dxdiag and relevant images to accompany the report.
4. Try and keep the report as concise as possible and include a step-by-step guide on how you reproduced the issue.
5. If your comment does not add any useful new information to the report already submitted, please do not post.

Sweet, Eurogamer wrote a good article about the beige issue with Elite post 2.2, and in it they mentioned Obsidian Ant’s efforts, the evidence from Erimus, and they even mentioned my efforts to bring the issue to the attention of both the community and Frontier!!!!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-23-elite-dangerous-players-noticed-the-galaxy-turned-beige

Maybe with some media pressure we can get Frontier to prioritize this higher than they normally would! :)

Mengy is now famous, he's going to start charging for ship scans.

Chained missions... did I miss something?

Mengy

No 2.3 beta until next Monday, the 27th:

Hi everyone,

The team have been working really hard to get the 2.3 beta ready for release, but there are a few issues we’re still trying to iron out before it’s ready for public testing. For that reason we’re now aiming to release the 2.3 beta this coming Monday 27th February.

I’m sorry for any inconvenience this causes, thank you for your patience and we’re looking forward to giving you hands on with the beta next week.

Ed

Burny

Yeah, had a suspicion they were coming in hot, when the week passed and they didn't announce a release. More time to grind for a Cutter...

On that note, is there anything as effective as Quince for Fed rank grind? Quince seems like the perfect storm for Imp rank grind. Millions of credits for easily stacked Imp scan missions and dozens of Imp donation missions to spend the credits on.

Edit: The Imperial Courier is another one in the long line of completely nonsensical Elite cockpits:

Seems designed to comfortably stand with lots of headroom. But the pilot's distance to the HUD is outright silly. About 1m from where you'd expect any display units to be placed in real life crafts. The distance from the HUD to the actual nose is nothing short of a joke. No need for any cockpit "glass" or whatever material to be there and for the cockpit to extend as far forward. Not to mention it's impractical ingame. The nose blocks the pilot's sight, as it raises up in the middle of your view for no good reason.

Widge

Trying to get to one of the community goals. It is (was) 30 jumps away! I got halfway there and then had to save to bed. Something about finding escape pods. There is a combat one there too.

I ended up parking in a system with 4 suns and one of the blue things that sends your ship mental. I touched down in one of the huge space stations that was orbiting an earthlike.

Anyway, I think I need to get my head around trading still. I'm going off to this place many jumps away and I could be loading up my Cobra with stuff. However, I can never figure out what on earth I can take FROM my place TO there. Back in the olden days, I used to go from Agricultural to Scientific. Take crops and stuff from one to the other, bring back computers and whatnot on the return. I'm just not sure where to be looking to find the pertinent information on the maps.

Anyway, I picked up 2 gimballed multi-cannons to plonk in my empty slots. I note that turrets cost a shed load more than gimballed, is this because they are automated?

Next steps I would assume are to plonk in more power and stuff.

Ok, took a break from the Imp going to go to the CG. Is it some circle of hell to try to capture containers with the Python? I line up the pod and can't seem to actually capture the canister.

Sibylus

Banned
Ok, took a break from the Imp going to go to the CG. Is it some circle of hell to try to capture containers with the Python? I line up the pod and can't seem to actually capture the canister.

How fast are you going? 39 units with the cargo scoop deployed was the ceiling for me during the rescue CG in my FDL and AspX.

How fast are you going? 39 units with the cargo scoop deployed was the ceiling for me during the rescue CG in my FDL and AspX.

I was going slow enough that target tracker was showing speed was fine. After it seemingly phased through after tracking well I tried to go as slow as possible with directional thrusters. Still the canister got really close on the tracker and just passed by. It was maddening.

vector824

I was going slow enough that target tracker was showing speed was fine. After it seemingly phased through after tracking well I tried to go as slow as possible with directional thrusters. Still the canister got really close on the tracker and just passed by. It was maddening.

Happened to me in my FDL. Try and line up the canister as close to the top of the box as possible, use throttle to maintain target speed instead of thrusters as it's less jumpy.

Sibylus

Banned

Sounds like it rolled across your hull (should see the canister hp % decrease), or something bumped into it and sent it moving. Moving canisters you have to lead the target or reduce your speed.

As I understood it they edited it to match the data. Apart from the fact that the discoveries are already claimed, it's basically the same thing. In any case I thought it was really cool of them to react to this so quickly.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I think they tweaked the name, removed some moons and edited the planets to match what nasa found.

But the system itself is basically the same location with 7 earth sized worlds.

E-flux

I saw this last night, ever since i played in one of those gundam pods i have been wanting to have a setup like that at home. Shame that the the setup like that costs around 2000-3000€ because you need to have 2 projectors. After playing in VR last night i started having doubts about the space legs, at least on Diamondback explorer the monitors and items are placed in pretty awkward positions in terms of height and then there are random steps on the edges which i have no idea what is the purpose of those, the actual cockpit looks way too big but the area you could walk seems to be pretty small. That ship at least would need a lot of work to make the cockpit good to navigate.

Gundam pod for anybody wondering what that was. Honestly that setup was comparable to vr in terms of immersion since there were no outside distractions thanks to the little closed space you were sitting in plus speakers and rumble stuff placed all around you so that you really didn't hear what was going on outside unless some people were having a shouting match.

Top Bottom