• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

PS4 version has just updated to version 1.03 which apparently is a hotfix for screen tearing issues.

Will report back if it's solved the problem on my PS4 Pro which had such bad tearing it had me running right back to the PC version.

WITHE1982

I played 3 evenings now, I think about 10 hours, maybe a little bit less and didn't die so far.
Maybe I'm just lucky. ^^
I had a few risky situations where someone started shooting inside of a space station or someone crashed on my landing pad on one of the outside trading stations while I tried to land but neither one of them did damage to me.

Nah they we're all my own fault. I was kinda experimenting without viewing tutorials. First death was crashing into the starting station and being fired upon, second was accidentally shooting my hardpoints in a dock while trying to figure out how to put them away and the third was attacking some federation ships to see what would happen.

I then deleted my server-side save and started fresh and since them I've not died once.

Just tried the update on my PS4 Pro. Tearing seems to be gone. Thank goodness for that. Was the worst tearing I've ever seen in a game.

Mhhhh now I would like to know what the differences are without the tearing problem between high quality and performance mode. Hope Digital Foundry is not done yet with the video.

I don't know how many copies this game already sold on PlayStation 4, but the world is filled with players, maybe equal or more than I had seen during the pc lauch.

Awesome!

Happy to see so many new Commanders out there. It's great that so many more people are getting to play this game. Maybe some day we'll get crossplay. Regardless, it's good for FD (and there fore good for ED) to have additional attention from the gaming community. Hopefully it's selling really well in PS4.

Kyoufu

What's the point of the Multi-Crew Community Goals when only the Helm gets bounty vouchers. This feature is pretty disappointing tbh.

Hylian7

The first thing I did was get that huge fixed beam laser, that and four gimballed multi-cannons has done me well in PVE. I can slice Eagles in half with that thing. I've liked it so much that I haven't bothered with trying other builds, although I should.

Played with this on Coriolis.io. That only puts me at using 93% of my power with hardpoints deployed. I'm debating dropping a heat sink launcher for another Shield Booster, as my weapons aren't likely to give me too high heat outpout. I only have one SCB with 4 cells, and the Heat Sink Launcher has 4 heat sinks.

Since module storage is a thing now (it wasn't the last time I was really into the game), an option I have is leaving the Fuel Scoop at home and putting another 4A Shield Cell Bank in it's place, keeping the two Heat Sink launchers. I think that will pay off more than another Shield Booster. I only really need the Fuel Scoop when travelling.

Also, is module storage universal, or are modules only available at the station you store them at? I'm just thinking for the case of travelling for a Community Goal. Then again, another option is to take the Anaconda or something and just have my FDL delivered.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else getting pretty bad stuttering since the update? On base PS4 here. Tearing never really got to me, but this frame skipping is pretty bad in stations, around stars and when going in and out of super cruise. Resulting in missed inputs, etc.

What kind of HOTAS support does the PS4 have? Thinking about picking this up on PS4 to play with friends, but I'd like to use my Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS.

Anyone else getting pretty bad stuttering since the update? On base PS4 here. Tearing never really got to me, but this frame skipping is pretty bad in stations, around stars and when going in and out of super cruise. Resulting in missed inputs, etc.

usually the stuttering in Elite Dangerous comes from servers, not from the engine. Try solo play and look for yourself. That's the game busy downloading other players stats and position, in fact is only noticeable when approaching very popular stations and in any other place full of people.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
usually the stuttering in Elite Dangerous comes from servers, not from the engine. Try solo play and look for yourself. This is the game the load other players, in fact is only noticeable when approaching very popular stations and in any other place full of people.
Ahh, I see. Actually, I just got to Erevate to try my hand at CGs, and it did seem pretty busy. Thanks for clearing that up.

Managed to turn in one bounty so far. 400 credits in the bank and in a few days I'll be 400k richer. I'm helping!

Had an absolute nightmare getting in a wing with my mate last night (on PS4). Took us 2 hours of frustration - seemingly loads of server issues (not being able to send wing invites / not receiving wing invites / winging up and not being able to see each others ships etc...).

But when we did get it working - OMG! Possibly the best couch co-op (same room 2x TVs) we have ever done! Just flying around, taking bouts together.

Brilliant stuff. If only they can sort the servers out... (and PSVR obvs)!

Jesus.... Just imagine this would support PSVR. It would push PSVR literally to the moon.
Don't know why Sony isn't helping here or throw some money into it. This would be the second coming of PSVR if this would be supported.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I like my Adder, but I kinda wish I could stick an NPC in the copilot's seat. They wouldn't even have to do anything.

I looked into multicrew but apparently that's only for real players.

Peroroncino

Multi-cannon + Plasma Accelerator = utter destruction

I can even take Pythons and FDLs like they're nothing in my Vulture, holy shit. Just aim for the power plant and let them blow up with 50% of their hull left, lmao.

Kyoufu

Multi-cannon + Plasma Accelerator = utter destruction

I can even take Pythons and FDLs like they're nothing in my Vulture, holy shit. Just aim for the power plant and let them blow up with 50% of their hull left, lmao.

How long does the ammo last? I'm about to buy a Vulture now but I think I'll stick to lasers for longevity.

akira28

Good lord, I remember the alcoholic Engineer wants Lavian Brandy defense force...the hoops they jumped through were crazy.

look. the lady wants her drink, and she ain't gonna help unless she gets her booze, I say become the enabler you always were.

El-Suave

Can you safely buy the vanilla version on PSN? I'd prefer to get the season pass later if I want it but there are two additional dlc packs coming with the complete version. Are these purely cosmetic as I gathered from the description or are they a better incentive to spend the extra money?

Jedi2016

Can't you synthesize ammo for extended fights?
Not worth it. You have to synthesize ammo for each weapon separately. Refilling ammo on my FDL cost eight rounds of synthesis (4x guns, each synthesis only refills 50%). Versus just spending a few minutes to go to the nearest station.

I used to measure my bounty hunting sessions that way in my FDL. When I ran out of ammo in the machine guns, it was time to go. By then, you've easily got several million credits worth of bounties, starts getting riskier to stick around.

How is the FDL these days? I haven't run mine in a while. I heard they nerfed the shields, so it's no longer practically invulnerable?

Manzoon

Banned
Played with this on Coriolis.io. That only puts me at using 93% of my power with hardpoints deployed. I'm debating dropping a heat sink launcher for another Shield Booster, as my weapons aren't likely to give me too high heat outpout. I only have one SCB with 4 cells, and the Heat Sink Launcher has 4 heat sinks.

Since module storage is a thing now (it wasn't the last time I was really into the game), an option I have is leaving the Fuel Scoop at home and putting another 4A Shield Cell Bank in it's place, keeping the two Heat Sink launchers. I think that will pay off more than another Shield Booster. I only really need the Fuel Scoop when travelling.

Also, is module storage universal, or are modules only available at the station you store them at? I'm just thinking for the case of travelling for a Community Goal. Then again, another option is to take the Anaconda or something and just have my FDL delivered.

I've forgotten how many shield boosters I have, I want to say there was noise about them getting nerfed. One reason I was reluctant to try other builds is that I had my multi-cannons engineered, and this was before the module storage, so I didn't want to make that trek every time I tried a new build.

Modules do have a transfer time and fee.

Hylian7

look. the lady wants her drink, and she ain't gonna help unless she gets her booze, I say become the enabler you always were.

"If you don't like sitting in a station refreshing a menu waiting for a zero to change to one and buying before anyone else does, Elite is not the game for you!"

I've forgotten how many shield boosters I have, I want to say there was noise about them getting nerfed. One reason I was reluctant to try other builds is that I had my multi-cannons engineered, and this was before the module storage, so I didn't want to make that trek every time I tried a new build.

Modules do have a transfer time and fee.

With two packs of SCBs and two packs of heat sinks, I think it's probably enough to make the SCBs viable. Just pop a heat sink with each one. I have two Shield Boosters already. I suppose if I want to go more ecomonical, I could just get a 3rd Shield Booster instead of one of the heat sinks. Hell with the Beam Laser and multicannons, I might be able to drop the heat sinks altogether and have four Shield Boosters, with a total 80% Shield Boost.

Tomeru

Playing on ps and I'm having a sincere blast. I get the nacon revolution controller. Any suggestions on what to map to where? Think of fiddling with the joystick's sensitivity.

Hylian7

So, Power Play. Which should I be pledged to currently?

The one who's winning, of course.

Nah, real answer depends on what you want, and which faction you want to be/are associated with. There's lots of options for trade, exploration, even piracy. Although Archon Delaine (piracy guy), has often been near the bottom of the list.

I pledged to Arissa Lavigny-Duval because her stuff is largely around bounty hunting. You get higher bounty payouts in her systems, and even higher when she is within the top 3. She is usually within the top 3 every week. I think she's number 2 this week if I remember correctly. She's also Empire (and the Emperor, no less).

Manzoon

Banned
"If you don't like sitting in a station refreshing a menu waiting for a zero to change to one and buying before anyone else does, Elite is not the game for you!"

With two packs of SCBs and two packs of heat sinks, I think it's probably enough to make the SCBs viable. Just pop a heat sink with each one. I have two Shield Boosters already. I suppose if I want to go more ecomonical, I could just get a 3rd Shield Booster instead of one of the heat sinks. Hell with the Beam Laser and multicannons, I might be able to drop the heat sinks altogether and have four Shield Boosters, with a total 80% Shield Boost.

I have my shield boosters engineered too, so the power draw is different on all my various crap, I have my heat sinks just for shield cell banks and I'd have to log in to remember if I had two or not. I was toying around with two point defenses as I was never certain how effective they really were.

Kyoufu, you should probably get some shield cell banks on that Vulture, those really help extend your longevity when in a RES, also can keep you alive, haha. If you haven't used them in your Viper, they produce a ton of heat so heat sink launchers are using up another precious utility mount. Sorry, there is just so much flooding back to me now, there was a lot of reading and learning when I first got into Elite.

Animal

Banned
Sounds like a cool idea!

Thanks! Good to know. Looks like they're only available on planetary bases, so I'll keep all that until I grab Horizons.

Not sure about the exact video, but for typed narration I enjoy Isinona. Maybe it's somewhere in there?

Yes these are definitely the right videos! Thank you!

Kyoufu

Nah, real answer depends on what you want, and which faction you want to be/are associated with. There's lots of options for trade, exploration, even piracy. Although Archon Delaine (piracy guy), has often been near the bottom of the list.

I pledged to Arissa Lavigny-Duval because her stuff is largely around bounty hunting. You get higher bounty payouts in her systems, and even higher when she is within the top 3. She is usually within the top 3 every week. I think she's number 2 this week if I remember correctly. She's also Empire (and the Emperor, no less).

Hmm, what about Prismatic Shields that you get with Aisling Duval? Worth unlocking? After 4 weeks though, whew.

Question.

It doesn't have something like a big guild feature right now, right?
What we have in the game at the moment is more like a squad or party feature and not more?

Hylian7

Hmm, what about Prismatic Shields that you get with Aisling Duval? Worth unlocking? After 4 weeks though, whew.

I haven't used them, but heard plenty of reports that they are good.

I have used the Imperial Hammer with Arissa Lavigny-Duval...it's good, very good.

Hylian7

Is the Eagle a decent starter combat ship? Kinda want to pick it up for the classic Frontier appeal.

It's agile and fast, but I honestly can't recommend it over something like a Viper into an eventual Vulture. It's made of wet tissue paper and doesn't hit particularly hard. I know back when I used to use a Viper closer to when I started out, I could decimate Eagles like nobody's business.

Moose Biscuits

It's agile and fast, but I honestly can't recommend it over something like a Viper into an eventual Vulture. It's made of wet tissue paper and doesn't hit particularly hard. I know back when I used to use a Viper closer to when I started out, I could decimate Eagles like nobody's business.
That's a shame then, I'll pick up a Viper in that case.

Soi-Fong

In VR, I'd say the best cockpit though in that "traditional, fighter feel" is the Eagle. I keep it just for taking it out sometime in VR just to really feel like a fighter pilot out in space. Nothin beats that angled cockpit right in front of you.

akira28

yeah some people, their love is too blind. I think by the time I got around to that one, they patched it, because it only took me a week, of multiple trips of 5 to 10. I think I initially wanted to power through and get my damn mod, but I gave up at 25 and decided that Zen would be necessary to get through this one. So I took my sweet time, as it was either that or torture.

Hylian7

That's a shame then, I'll pick up a Viper in that case.

Was just messing with an Eagle build on Coriolis.io...goddamn I didn't realize it only has one Utility mount. So you effectively have to pick between Shield Cell Banks or having a Kill Warrant Scanner
dac15_frog.gif

If you didn't know, Shield Cell Banks generate a ton of heat to the point where you have to pop a Heat Sink when you use one. You need a Heat Sink launcher with Shield Cell Banks.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/eagle/0p0t5F8l3d5s8f22917170m42272525.Iw1-EA==.CwBj4yg=

You could change up the hardpoints, but you'll have to set the power priority on modules. I could drop Cargo Hatch to priority 5 and make this work. There's no cargo racks in this build so you don't really need it. This is assuming you want Bounty Hunting though. You don't need the KWS if you don't want to Bounty Hunt.

In VR, I'd say the best cockpit though in that "traditional, fighter feel" is the Eagle. I keep it just for taking it out sometime in VR just to really feel like a fighter pilot out in space. Nothin beats that angled cockpit right in front of you.

Oh yeah, it's fun to fly, don't get me wrong. I love flying them, especially the Imperial Eagle, but functionally it ain't good, lol.

Hylian7

For those that are new here, general tip: D rating stuff is generally lightest weight and power consumption, even less than E rating. If you want combat, on things like Life Support, Sensors, Kill Warrant Scanner, and maybe FSD if you need the extra power for something else, you want D rating. If you're RES farming, the time D life support gives you if you end up getting breached canopy is plenty to make it back to the station. Sensors aren't a big deal, D rating KWS still gives you 2.5km range, which is still good, especially on faster ships.

I can get hull or module fortifications. Which would be better?

Depends. If you start losing modules before dying, get module reinforcement. If you die before you lose modules, get hull reinforcement.

I usually get 2 small module reinforcements and the rest go to hull reinforcement. That's on a Vulture or Python. You're probably okay with just one module reinforcement.

Module reinforcement absorbs a percentage of incoming module damage, until it runs out of integrity and fails. You get a warning message when it fails, which is a good time to bug out before you get killed.

The AI is a bugger for taking out your thrusters when escaping, which is usually a death sentence unless the system cops save you. It can lead to some intense gameplay as you frantically try to reboot the thrusters while the enemy is occupied.

Edit: the post above is good advice, but be wary of D rating thrusters or powerplants in combat ships. D rated are light but have less hitpoints. I foolishly D rated my Vulture's thrusters, which was a very silly idea.

Moose Biscuits

So I finally decided to do the advanced combat tutorial before buying a ship for bounty hunting and woof, I know why I went the civilian route. I can't dogfight to save my life!

Fighting one enemy got me down to about 30% hull, then when the two enemies appeared I got crushed. Not sure how to actually get gudder except for just having a better ship.

Freeman76

God damn on PS4 i cant complete the combat tutorial its too much of a pain to get the ships in my sights. Gonna take a lot of practice

Top Bottom