• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Hylian7

Depends. If you start losing modules before dying, get module reinforcement. If you die before you lose modules, get hull reinforcement.

I usually get 2 small module reinforcements and the rest go to hull reinforcement. That's on a Vulture or Python. You're probably okay with just one module reinforcement.

Module reinforcement absorbs a percentage of incoming module damage, until it runs out of integrity and fails. You get a warning message when it fails, which is a good time to bug out before you get killed.

The AI is a bugger for taking out your thrusters when escaping, which is usually a death sentence unless the system cops save you. It can lead to some intense gameplay as you frantically try to reboot the thrusters while the enemy is occupied.

Edit: the post above is good advice, but be wary of D rating thrusters or powerplants in combat ships. D rated are light but have less hitpoints. I foolishly D rated my Vulture's thrusters, which was a very silly idea.

Yeah, IMO thrusters should always be A in combat ships unless you are just absolutely hurting for power, and even then I would look for something else to sacrifice or look into prioritizing modules.

If you're prioritizing modules, I usually set mine like this.

5 - Things you can't possibly use during combat or even out of supercruise - Fuel Scoop, Interdictor, Planetary Vehicle Hangar, Cargo hatch if you don't have any cargo racks, etc.
4 - Things you need more than the above, but can't possibly (or not practically) use with hardpoints deployed - FSD, and other things of that nature
3 - Weapons and accessories - As far as accessories, I would put Shield Cell Banks, and things of that nature here.
2 - Defensive and escape modules - Shields, Heat Sink launchers (for Silent Running and boosting), Shield Boosters, Chaff, etc.
1 - Things you absolutely need to get the ship moving and basic functions - Thrusters, Sensors, Power Distributor, Life Support, etc.

If shit goes sideways with your power plant, you can always adjust your FSD to be higher priority so you can have it when you need it, but otherwise keep it lower priority because you don't need it on during combat. While it does have a boot time, if your ship is fast enough it won't matter too much. Silent Running + Heat Sinks + Chaff is a good option to counterract that.

So I finally decided to do the advanced combat tutorial before buying a ship for bounty hunting and woof, I know why I went the civilian route. I can't dogfight to save my life!

Fighting one enemy got me down to about 30% hull, then when the two enemies appeared I got crushed. Not sure how to actually get gudder except for just having a better ship.

God damn on PS4 i cant complete the combat tutorial its too much of a pain to get the ships in my sights. Gonna take a lot of practice

I don't know what the controls for this on consoles are (unless you can just use HOTAS), but I would suggest getting into toggling Flight Assist. Flight Assist counterracts your movements to keep you from spinning endlessly. If you were to just pitch up with FA off, you would flip over endlessly until you counterract that force. Toggling this in battle lets you turn a bit faster as you slide in a direction, and can be quite useful.

Kyoufu

Vulture bought and kitted out. Statistically it's a big upgrade over my Viper but I have so little credits left (3 rebuys) that I feel nervous even flying it.

akira28

So I finally decided to do the advanced combat tutorial before buying a ship for bounty hunting and woof, I know why I went the civilian route. I can't dogfight to save my life!

Fighting one enemy got me down to about 30% hull, then when the two enemies appeared I got crushed. Not sure how to actually get gudder except for just having a better ship.

Out in the asteroid wastes you'll have a lot of hit and run battles where you will get the guy, but his friends you have to leave behind because they're not paying you enough to kill them too. Don't let the hard training simulator put you off, because they included some of that to give the veterans something to go back to, too. As long as you remember you have boosters and hyperspace you will be ok starting out in the "real Elite world". Just stick to low intensity res and solar comm points for your bounty scanning and you'll be ok for the most part in a medium armored and well gunned Eagle or Sidey.

Freeman76

I cant even do the first combat tutorial, the shop turns so slow and im dead before i can even lock onto the target. Kind of regret the purchase at this stage im not having a lot of fun "(

Hylian7

I cant even do the first combat tutorial, the shop turns so slow and im dead before i can even lock onto the target. Kind of regret the purchase at this stage im not having a lot of fun "(

Keep trying. It's been a while since I did that tutorial, but just giving combat advice in general. Always keep moving, move pips to Engines when you're trying to pitch and to be able to face him, then back to Systems. If you're shooting at him, generally have 4 pips to Systems and 2 in Weapons, as you run out of Weapons you can allocate more to Weapons.

The first combat tutorial is not really hard, try to watch some YouTube videos if you even have trouble here. The extended combat tutorial however, skip it, it's unbeatable for me too and you don't need it for your next 30 ingame hours. Learn the rest first.

(I'm an amateur too and started 3 days ago, just telling you what I think so far. Have a blast with traveling, collecting stuff from space for missions or being a spacebus driver and doing passenger missions.)

Manzoon

Banned
Vulture bought and kitted out. Statistically it's a big upgrade over my Viper but I have so little credits left (3 rebuys) that I feel nervous even flying it.

Take her to a low RES site and cackle as you blast things apart. You should be able to build up some nice credits for more peace of mind, I went through the same anxiety every time I upgraded too.

DrBo42

Hmm, what about Prismatic Shields that you get with Aisling Duval? Worth unlocking? After 4 weeks though, whew.
If you're in a big ship they're amazing IMO. Crazy max shield, super heavy, power hungry and expensive though. It's for high rollers.

KaidoRacer7

My next ship is going to be a Cobra MKIII, any suggestions to weapons for defense only? I'm not into combat... just want to protect myself until I escape.

Kyoufu

Take her to a low RES site and cackle as you blast things apart. You should be able to build up some nice credits for more peace of mind, I went through the same anxiety every time I upgraded too.

Went to a High RES... wow. Handles like a dream, packs a punch and sounds like someone is drilling a hole into your wall. I'm loving it.

Had a much easier time with the medium/large ships. It was a quick and easy 2 million credits.

Soi-Fong

For those that are new here, general tip: D rating stuff is generally lightest weight and power consumption, even less than E rating. If you want combat, on things like Life Support, Sensors, Kill Warrant Scanner, and maybe FSD if you need the extra power for something else, you want D rating. If you're RES farming, the time D life support gives you if you end up getting breached canopy is plenty to make it back to the station. Sensors aren't a big deal, D rating KWS still gives you 2.5km range, which is still good, especially on faster ships.

I remember early on when my Cobra Mk III got a canopy breach and I only had the stock life support.

Those 5 minutes were tense as fuck with half my canopy breached so I had to fly at an angle to see my UI. lol

I made it back inside the station and landed with about 10 seconds to spare. haha

Hylian7

My next ship is going to be a Cobra MKIII, any suggestions to weapons for defense only? I'm not into combat... just want to protect myself until I escape.

What are you wanting to do with it? Haul cargo?

https://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/0pdtaFaldddsdf41b1b18180002030348010101.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

If you want, you can take off the weapons for a little more jump range, but that's up to you. You could probably get away without weapons as you just have A thrusters (the D thrusters don't make much difference in jump range, so might as well stick with A).

Here's what you do if you get interdicted, and this goes for anyone if you have no interest in fighting your attacker: Throttle to zero as soon as you are getting interdicted, if you do, you'll have almost no FSD cooldown when you get pulled out of supercruise. Once you're out of supercruise, throttle all the way up and boost, make sure you have 4 pips to engines and 2 to systems. If necessary, release chaff. If your shields drop, go Silent Running and start popping heatsinks and keep boosting. With A thrusters, there's a good chance you can eventually outrun an Anaconda were one to interdict you.

Chances are though player Anacondas wouldn't bother a Cobra, not worth their time. AIs might bother you, but I can't even remember the last time I was interdicted by an AI that was anything bigger than a Python.

If you aren't interested in fighting, or don't have wingmen to protect you, just run. It's incredibly easy to do so.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Decided for a change of scenery, so I'm heading to Hehe; mostly because of the name. 30 jumps is I think the most I've done at once.

Kyoufu

Man, the worst thing about the CG in Asellus Primus is that only one of the 4 High RES spots is in the asteroid field and it's a pain finding it. Once this CG is over I'm outta this system!

Polygon's article they posted about the game restoked my interest. I had toyed with picking it up before, but after digging through this thread I'm definitely gonna pick it up on Friday. Not sure what I'm going to focus on doing, but figured I would dabble a bit and see what I'm good at/enjoy. Exploring seems right up my alley.

Man, the worst thing about the CG in Asellus Primus is that only one of the 4 High RES spots is in the asteroid field and it's a pain finding it. Once this CG is over I'm outta this system!

The worst thing is I accidentally shot a cop there in the middle of the High RES. And now I can't go back there for nearly 24H. I have over a million in vouchers waiting to be paid in.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
what are your recommendations for Space Uber?

The Dolphin makes an excellent and cheap passenger ship. Very capable and fun to fly.

Plus it's a great looking little ship:

VcLWov7.jpg

Fangdangle

Neo Member
Really loving the game so far, just doing the usual trade/explore, small time res sites. Lost over 300k bounties today and been destroyed twice, so that's 90k in rebuys! I'm such a noob!

Kyoufu

The worst thing is I accidentally shot a cop there in the middle of the High RES. And now I can't go back there for nearly 24H. I have over a million in vouchers waiting to be paid in.

24 hours?! All I did was leave the system and come back for the Wanted status to disappear.

BTW guys Vulture is the real deal. Huuuuuuuuge upgrade. Just cashed in 4 million credits worth of bounties, that High RES spawn rate was amazing for once.

Hylian7

Tried Huge Beam Laser (fixed) with 4 gimballed multicannons on my FDL. I grabbed two 4A SCBs with two heat sinks. I was able to cut through tons of ships. I had to use all my SCBs already, but then the last few ships I didn't need them at all and got better at avoiding fire. I logged out in the RES and am not done yet, can kill more ships when I get back.

Peroroncino

24 hours?! All I did was leave the system and come back for the Wanted status to disappear.

BTW guys Vulture is the real deal. Huuuuuuuuge upgrade. Just cashed in 4 million credits worth of bounties, that High RES spawn rate was amazing for once.

Yeah he should be able to jump out and come back, if not, just go to station and turn in those bounties, if they don't scan you, you should make it, then just buy a sidewinder for 30k and initiate self destruction, that will clean the bounties.

Kyoufu

Asellus Primus CG is about to end, tier 8. Current reward is 23.9 million credits for top 10% at tier 7. Will that go up again for tier 8?

KaidoRacer7

What are you wanting to do with it? Haul cargo?

https://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/0pdtaFaldddsdf41b1b18180002030348010101.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

If you want, you can take off the weapons for a little more jump range, but that's up to you. You could probably get away without weapons as you just have A thrusters (the D thrusters don't make much difference in jump range, so might as well stick with A).

Here's what you do if you get interdicted, and this goes for anyone if you have no interest in fighting your attacker: Throttle to zero as soon as you are getting interdicted, if you do, you'll have almost no FSD cooldown when you get pulled out of supercruise. Once you're out of supercruise, throttle all the way up and boost, make sure you have 4 pips to engines and 2 to systems. If necessary, release chaff. If your shields drop, go Silent Running and start popping heatsinks and keep boosting. With A thrusters, there's a good chance you can eventually outrun an Anaconda were one to interdict you.

Chances are though player Anacondas wouldn't bother a Cobra, not worth their time. AIs might bother you, but I can't even remember the last time I was interdicted by an AI that was anything bigger than a Python.

If you aren't interested in fighting, or don't have wingmen to protect you, just run. It's incredibly easy to do so.

I'm aiming for haul cargo... I'm going for no weapons mode, looks better and... Cheaper :D

But I'm in doubt now... Since I just started, is an all purpose ship better to cover my mistakes?

Brannon

Right, finally came to grips with training. Soooo...

the game just drops us in a station and we just... do stuff? I don't mind, but I guess we're making our own way here?

So I've been flying around for a while just doing hauling.

Need something new to do, maybe go over to exploration or maybe begin transporting passengers!

I'll get that Dolphin ship. Want that Beluga though. Looks so pretty.

iosefe

Right, finally came to grips with training. Soooo...

the game just drops us in a station and we just... do stuff? I don't mind, but I guess we're making our own way here?

forge your trail.

be the scourge of pirates
be a pirate
be a FedEx driver
be an uber driver
be a pirate
be a fuel rat

dont be a pirare

Does anyone know why I have passenger missions in unable to accept? I meet all the requirements except the recommended rank but that has never been a problem before. I feel like most missions are locked without any explanation.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Holy jeez is mining a long stretch of nothin'. My fault admittedly for not checking whether buying the limpet modules actually gave you a stock of them, but it's a whole lot of time for not much yield. Maybe I'm just doing it in the wrong places.

ok this is my second time purchasing this game my first time I was a Mac version that my MacBook was to weak to run

I am now doing a training missing learning the controls

did they give me a broken ship to start with?

iosefe

hot damn, finally looked at the passenger lounge in asellus. if i was outfitted i could get almost 3 mil on one journey. this is ridiulous

ranmafan

Well after reading through this thread and just hearing so much excitement for the game lately, now with the PS4 version out I've decided I'm going to jump in too so I ordered it today. Hoping it arrives soon. Sounds like the type of game I will love. Probably a bit crazy picking this up with dragon quest xi just a couple of weeks away for me, but I've been wanting to play another space game like this one for a while now. Sounds like it will be a winner for me.

peetfeet

I cant even do the first combat tutorial, the shop turns so slow and im dead before i can even lock onto the target. Kind of regret the purchase at this
stage im not having a lot of fun "(

sounds like youre doing the same as me when I first tried it. Make sure your speed is in the blue zone on your instruments for maximum agility.

hot damn, finally looked at the passenger lounge in asellus. if i was outfitted i could get almost 3 mil on one journey. this is ridiulous

Just make sure you check the DISTANCE on those passenger missions. As well as the stipulations. Some of them are criminals and if you get scanned by cops you might get blown up. Others are afraid of being scanned so much so that if you get scanned at any point in the trip, you basically fail the mission.

Oh and they like to ask for detours to places you didn't intend to go. If you do go on the detour, you might not get the credits in the end.

iosefe

Just make sure you check the DISTANCE on those passenger missions. As well as the stipulations. Some of them are criminals and if you get scanned by cops you might get blown up. Others are afraid of being scanned so much so that if you get scanned at any point in the trip, you basically fail the mission.

Oh and they like to ask for detours to places you didn't intend to go. If you do go on the detour, you might not get the credits in the end.

hows rich person for 100 Ly, about 2 mil

Top Bottom