• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Kyoufu

Damn. 6.5 million and wasn't able to break into the top 10%. Ah well. I'm gonna go to Eravate next to tackle that CG.

I've contributed 15 mil at top 10%. Probably need 11 million at least to break into that rank. It was at like 9 million yesterday.

iosefe

i wasn't able to crack the top 25%, i'm proably like top 27% right now, but i saw the bar and just rushed back to beagle
final contribution: 3,418,837

time to hit up eravate

*edit* or maybe 3447, it's slightly ahead

I've contributed 15 mil at top 10%. Probably need 11 million at least to break into that rank. It was at like 9 million yesterday.
I got in the top 10% with 9,612,195 contribution. Didn't think that last bit would close so soon, was worried I'd have dropped down to 25%.

Edit: hm, no payouts yet? Maybe I better run some more just in case...

Just handed in another couple bounties at Asellus Primus. My contribution didn't change, so it is locked down, even of the payout is slow.

Happy to finally get out of this system!

iosefe

what are the best guns?

*edit* went for rail guns. now i need some pirates to try them on. where the hell can i find them att 3447?

Soi-Fong

Uhh.. So how do you collect the money? I'm at Beagle 2 Landing and I'm confused on where to actually get the goods.

Edit: Never mind. Figured it out. lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So am I the only one having trouble deciding which Power to pledge to? I'm stuck between the one I agree with ideologically (Felicia Winters) and the one that gives me the thing I want most (Aisling Duval and the Prismatic Shields). :lol

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
How do you use utilities like Chaff and D-Scanner? I've set up my fire groups with them included, but I can only find the buttons to fire my primary and secondary weapons. Does everything have to be changed to those two buttons?

Edit: on PS4 btw

deleted my file to restart about 5 times, tutorial has glitches so I gave that up, now I purchased Horizon hoping for more options

And wow it is taking me forever just to clear this planet after launch I must be doing something wrong, it is frustrating, this is very complex not even close to No Man's Sky levels of easy

I put too much money in it to give up, I just want to get 1 mission out of the way before I go to sleep

Manzoon

Banned
Went to a High RES... wow. Handles like a dream, packs a punch and sounds like someone is drilling a hole into your wall. I'm loving it.

Had a much easier time with the medium/large ships. It was a quick and easy 2 million credits.

Nice work, what weapons did you end up going with?

I bought the PS4 version yesterday and played for about 3-4 hours.
Already did a few missions and will get a new ship today.
The whole atmosphere in this game is just so amazing.

Hylian7

How's everyone feeling about the python? I'm almost able to buy one. Did a little research and seems like most people like it.
Haven't flown one myself, but from what I see and understand, they can do a little of everything.

For me that ship isn't really my cup of tea. I want more specialized ships, and in my case, since I particularly like combat, there is no reason not to get a Fer-De-Lance instead.

However your mileage may vary, and depending on what your want the Python might be right for you.

I bought the PS4 version yesterday and played for about 3-4 hours.
Already did a few missions and will get a new ship today.
The whole atmosphere in this game is just so amazing.

they won several awards for the soundfx in the game. it really does stand out.

How's everyone feeling about the python? I'm almost able to buy one. Did a little research and seems like most people like it.

It is the most versatile ship in the game. Very good at combat, great trade and mission runner something like 256T cargo with a shield (iirc), making it the highest cargo capacity of any ship that can land at Outposts, 3 large hard points (only ship in the game), gratuitous amounts of power for whatever weapons setup you want, more than enough utility mounts and internal compartments, good jump range.

It is the Millennium Falcon of Elite Dangerous. Accept no substitutes if you need a true multi-purpose ship.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
they won several awards for the soundfx in the game. it really does stand out.

Very well deserved. I keep wanting to jump back in just to get a fix of spaceship sounds and how they merge beautifully with your inputs.

The "revving" of your engine as you throttle up and down...
The cool, dulcit tones of flight control as you make your docking request...
The bassy boom and crackle of the boost...
The thudding zing of another ship you barely avoid scraping by...

And I'm still only in the Sidey.

24 hours?! All I did was leave the system and come back for the Wanted status to disappear.

BTW guys Vulture is the real deal. Huuuuuuuuge upgrade. Just cashed in 4 million credits worth of bounties, that High RES spawn rate was amazing for once.

Not for me. I was still wanted. I think I may have killed him.

I sneaked back in a Sidewinder and cashed in my bounties at Beagle. Ended up getting over 14 million payout for the CG.

Freeman76

Going from steam where they are so generous with refunds to then buying this on PS4 and realising as much as it sounds like the perfect game for me I just cant get on with it and now Im stuck with it because Sony are stingy fucks.

Peroroncino

Just got 29 million for the Asselus Primus CG, hot damn that felt good.

Off to Rakapila now for another CG.

It's really worth doing those Community Goals.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Does anyone know why I have passenger missions in unable to accept? I meet all the requirements except the recommended rank but that has never been a problem before. I feel like most missions are locked without any explanation.

A lot of passenger missions get locked behind reputation, meaning you need to be cordial or friendly in order to get a lot of them. Those do pay very well though so it's usually worth grinding up some ranks to get them.

Sweet, open-endedness here I come!

...what's the best science-explorey ship?

If you are going into deep space then ideally you want at least six internals for the following:

- advanced discovery scanner
- detail surface scanner
- fuel scoop
- AFMU (maintenance unit)
- SRV bay
- shield generator

So while any ship technically can explore, you need to sacrifice things to do so in some of the smaller ships with less internals. Also, a high jump range not only makes traveling into deep space easier and less tiresome but it also allows you to reach many systems which ships with a shorter range just physically can't fly to.

So, which ships are the best for exploration? As an explorer with over 500,000 lys under his belt, these are my top choices ranked in order of best to less so:

• Anaconda - Best range in the fleet, plenty of internals, however flies like a brick and slow, I personally hate flying it but a great many explorers consider this the best ship for it
  • Diamondback Explorer - 2nd best range in the fleet, has enough internals to hold everything you need, only real drawback is a slow fuel scoop speed, but if you overlap fuel scooping with FSD charging it almost doesn't matter, and the DBE runs extremely cool so it can do so.
  • Asp Explorer - A little less range than the DBE but more internals and a fantastic fuel scoop speed. Many explorers would put the Asp above the DBE and for good reasons, the two ships are very similar with some specific pros and cons offsetting them. Might have the absolute best view from the cockpit of the fleet too. If you want range (Anaconda notwithstanding) take the DBE, if you want anything else take the Asp.
  • Orca - This passenger ship actually has the 4th best jump range in the game, plenty of internals, can fit a quick fuel scoop, and just makes for a great (and stylish) exploration vessel.
  • Dolphin - For a small ship the Dolphin is a cheap and excellent exploration ship. Just a bit less range than the Orca but much, much cheaper too. Has seven internals so plenty of space. Just a great deep space vessel.
  • Type-6 - This cargo ship actually makes for a great explorer, again plenty of internals and a very good jump range, also a fantastic view from the seat like the Asp E. A lot of explorers fly the T6 exclusively.
  • Imperial Courier - Less range than the above but still decent range and enough internals. Very fast ship and highly maneuverable, a lot of explorers use the Courier for planetary surface exploration for this reason.
  • Everything Else....:)

Kyoufu

Just got 29 million for the Asselus Primus CG, hot damn that felt good.

Off to Rakapila now for another CG.

It's really worth doing those Community Goals.

I was going to head there too but then I realised there's no High RES, just a Low and Haz. Meh! Not sure if I want to go in there alone with a Vulture atm.

Well, I finally experienced my first "death" at the hands of another player last night.

I went to one of the new Thargoid bases in my Dolphin to take a look, plus I required a Meta-Alloy to unlock one of the Engineers, so I was out in my SRV farming barnacles. I'd already had friendly chat with another player who was hanging around at the time, but left.

10 minutes later I was making my way back to my ship when some asshole in a Python spawned in and blew up my Dolphin immediately, then left. I only later found out that it's possible to dismiss your shop into orbit while in the SRV, which obviously would have saved me.

The insurance cost wasn't a problem, only around 200k, but what I found frustrating is that there's no way to get off a planet while in an SRV with no ship. I spent a while looking on forums for an option to save myself, but I eventually concluded that there's was no way out, so I hit the self-destruct option.

On the bright side, I've at least learned from the experience and will make sure my ship is safe from other players while in my SRV (high G planets excluded, because I've heard the auto pilot can be a bit dodgy there!)

I bought my very first new ship now, a Cobra MKIII. What weapons would you suggest? I think the rest is quite good so far, I build it after the Kotaku guide that was posted here but on this there were no weapons, I only have the standard ones right now.
I want to do a few community goals.

How do you use utilities like Chaff and D-Scanner? I've set up my fire groups with them included, but I can only find the buttons to fire my primary and secondary weapons. Does everything have to be changed to those two buttons?

Edit: on PS4 btw
Sorta. You can either have them in a fire group and use r2 / l2, or for some of them, like chaff, you can remap controls to give them a dedicated button combo.

For something like chaff, I like the dedicated remap, so it's easy to use in combat without switching fire groups. I've got chaff assigned to square+left dpad. (I use my touchpad lower left button for the left screen, didn't need the redundant default option)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Sorta. You can either have them in a fire group and use r2 / l2, or for some of them, like chaff, you can remap controls to give them a dedicated button combo.

For something like chaff, I like the dedicated remap, so it's easy to use in combat without switching fire groups. I've got chaff assigned to square+left dpad. (I use my touchpad lower left button for the left screen, didn't need the redundant default option)

Ah, okay. Thank you.

I couldn't find Chaff in the button customisation screen. Am I being an arse or is it under something else? Also, if I have a dedicated shortcut, does that mean I don't need to account for them in a Fire Group?

Peroroncino

Ah, okay. Thank you.

I couldn't find Chaff in the button customisation screen. Am I being an arse or is it under something else? Also, if I have a dedicated shortcut, does that mean I don't need to account for them in a Fire Group?

Chaff should be under miscellaneous option. No, you don't need to account them in a fire group if you have it hotkeyed.

I also recommend having it on square + d-pad left, just make sure not to accidentally press only square and hide your hardpoints mid-fight lol.

Buy a docking computer asap. Makes life so much easier. Really got frustrated with landing till I found that little magic device.

Waste of space imo, it really becomes easy with practice.

Manzoon

Banned
I went with Pulse Lasers. When I save enough for the FDL I'll start using multi-cannons.

How much is the optimal FDL build for HazRes?

I would go ahead and try a multi-cannon now, just one, to get used to it. Depending on your weapon loadout it looks like my FdL build is close to 80 million, and it can handle HazRES assuming you don't go after a wing of Anacondas by yourself. 16 million of that is for a 6A powerplant that I got for weight reasons.

*New Commander Alert*
The idea is you drop their shields with lasers then rip apart their hull with kinetic weapons. Shields have a high kinetic resistance and hulls have a high energy weapon resistance, this doesn't change much unless someone is engineered out the wazoo or has expensive hull armor. Rail guns and Particle Accelerators are good against both hull and shield but are more difficult to use, also much more limited by ammo. I rarely have to go dock just for multi-cannon ammo.

Ah, okay. Thank you.

Chaff should be under miscellaneous option. No, you don't need to account them in a fire group if you have it hotkeyed.

I also recommend having it on square + d-pad left, just make sure not to accidentally press only square and hide your hardpoints mid-fight lol.

Bansai beat me to the reply, but yeah, what he said.

Guess everyone moved to rakapila for the bounty community goal? Game keeps kicking me, unable to connect to the multiplayer server every time I try to warp in to haul cargo for the other goal there.

Could go solo mode I suppose, but space is lonely enough already.

*New Commander Alert*
The idea is you drop their shields with lasers then rip apart their hull with kinetic weapons. Shields have a high kinetic resistance and hulls have a high energy weapon resistance, this doesn't change much unless someone is engineered out the wazoo or has expensive hull armor. Rail guns and Particle Accelerators are good against both hull and shield but are more difficult to use, also much more limited by ammo. I rarely have to go dock just for multi-cannon ammo.
Is there anywhere that details just how much resistance each has? Everywhere I've looked just says the same broad thing of "thermal does more to shields, kinetic more to hull". But that's pretty vague, and doesn't really help answering questions like they following:

On a vulture, if you fit two lasers, does the decreased time to drop shields offset the increased time to drop the hull? On something like a Cobra, are two small lasers and two medium multi cannons preferable to one each medium and small?

Maybe I've got to do the science myself, but this is something I'd have hoped was already shown in the game as part of the weapon stats. (Or done by someone else in the year before it got ps4, haha)

Top Bottom