• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Is there anywhere that details just how much resistance each has? Everywhere I've looked just says the same broad thing of "thermal does more to shields, kinetic more to hull".

Shields:

Explosive Resistance: 50%
Kinetic Resistance: 40%
Thermal Resistance: -20% (thus, thermals will always burn down shields faster than anything else and why they're a must-have vs NPCs)

This is the default for every basic shield, standard, bi-weave or prismatic.

Maximum resistance you can get is 75% and it gives diminishing returns. Each percentage point of resistance above 50% is worth half (eg. 60% gives 55% resistance).

Higher resistance on your shields can be obtained by adding resistance modifications to your shields or boosters (both available through Engineers)

Further reading:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/246086-Official-FDev-Damage-Stats-for-Every-Weapon

Additional shield and full weapons data. Enjoy yourselves, newbies.

Be aware that shield resistances can be altered by Engineering, so only NPCs can be assumed to be the baseline configuration. Further, shield STRENGTH is a function of the shield class and rating + the number and rating of shield boosters.

Kyoufu

Yeah we cleaned up good, my wanted radar was on POINT lol.

Managed to get rid of the dormant bounty by letting the security outside of the station scan and destroy me. Bounty hunting is back on. :D

That guy in our wing was really impressed by your quick targeting lol

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Mhhhh, this and the other postings about the size sounds pretty small and a little bit disappointing to be honest.
400 billion star systems? Great marketing. :/
Why is it so big if 98% of the world is almost useless? Would be cool if this universe would evolve a bit faster with community created outpost/bases so that everyone could really spread around the whole universe. Why aren't they using their universe more?

Good question. Exploration has mostly been ignored by Frontier for the past two and a half years, with very, very little in development. They've hinted that after 2.4 they will be working on exploration, I certainly hope so.

The galaxy in Elite is huge though, and while it's mostly empty currently that space does give them a lot of room to develop into and introduce new things down the road. It gives explorers a lot of potential content, if only it would get filled with some gameplay...

Hylian7

I love flying my FDL, and it is still my favorite ship for sure, but man taking an Anaconda to a Hazardous RES is satisfying. In one run last night, I had 3 mil in bounties when I got back to the station. I only went back because I ran out of railgun ammo. I have a Huge Cannon, large turreted pulse lasers, and two medium and one small railguns. I have a 7C Bi-weave with two sets of 6A SCBs with heat sinks. I also have a Mostly Harmless AI pilot in the GU-47 fighter with the dual beam lasers and heat sink. I initially underestimated the fighter, but it is helpful in removing shields. I might try taking control of the fighter when removing shields, it would be fun, but I'm not sure I can trust the pilot in the mothership to use the weapons correctly and keep the shields up before I switch back to the mothership. I should at least give it a try though, I can bug out if the AI pilot fucks it up.

I like that you can switch instantly between mothership and fighter, despite how unrealistic it is. I also didn't realize that your fighter getting shot down with the pilot in it doesn't mean death of the pilot or that the fighter is lost until you go buy a new one. It is unrealistic, but for gameplay it does make using fighters not suck.

Hylian7

Good question. Exploration has mostly been ignored by Frontier for the past two and a half years, with very, very little in development. They've hinted that after 2.4 they will be working on exploration, I certainly hope so.

The galaxy in Elite is huge though, and while it's mostly empty currently that space does give them a lot of room to develop into and introduce new things down the road. It gives explorers a lot of potential content, if only it would get filled with some gameplay...
The only thing they have really done with regards to exploration is just have crazy stuff like the barnacles, hyperdiction, and other crazy event stuff.

They still never really make exploration profitable though, did they?

Kyoufu

I'm still confused by Power Play. I pledged allegiance to Aisling Duval but then I became "hostile" in Rakapila which would have made this CG troublesome. How do you use PP without making yourself a target? :/

Hylian7

So if I understand this right... Don't really bother landing at planetary bases. How do they let shit like this go unfixed for so long? This is game breaking for sure.

Are you safe taking off from planetary bases? I'm thinking just landing on the ground a bit away and driving an SRV to the base to dock that, then my ship should be there.

If you pay attention you can safely land. I've done it. Granted it was only once so far but I didn't die. The issue is once you get in their spawn range they spawn high above you, they are hard to see and they don't show up on radar.

If you fly through the base quickly (to get them to spawn and then go outside the base (but not far enough to get out of their render range) they will just fall and hit the ground. Then you can safely land.

That is my understanding at least.

Soi-Fong

I'm still confused by Power Play. I pledged allegiance to Aisling Duval but then I became "hostile" in Rakapila which would have made this CG troublesome. How do you use PP without making yourself a target? :/

I play in Solo, and it hasn't been a problem for me at all. Might be an issue if you play in Open Play though as you can be a target from the other powers.

Hylian7

All it means is people working for that power may attempt to kill you. This does NOT mean the space cops will just start firing or the station will shoot you on sight, all you have to worry about are the people that have the pilot name as the name of that power'We faction. For instance Arissa Lavigny-Duval's is "Shield of Justice", Archon Delaine I think is "Kumo Crew Watch". They will all say which power they are with on their info. They will obey the same rules and will not attack you in the fire zone of a station.

However this also applies to players too, and for players, they can kill you if you are of an enemy power for merits. However that often isn't the most viable way to farm merits outside of a CZ or hailing power cargo. I can say in the past, I farmed to rating 5 with an FDL in an enemy system, in Open Play to kill people of enemy powers. I definitely killed a handful of players during that, but often said "Nothing personal, this is for the emperor." However I didn't even bother interdicting anything Python or more potentially putting up a fight. I wanted quantity, not quality because it was all that mattered.

If an AI of an enemy power tries to kill you, 99% of the time you can just run and get away. Even for a lot of players, if they don't have an Anaconda or something to keep you mass locked, you can generally bolt before you die. Also Anacondas aren't incredibly fast, when with A thrusters.

Hylian7

Has Frontier said anything more about new types of SRVs? They said they would eventually come back around when Horizons came out, but still at are all driving Scarabs. :/

Also I didn't know asteroid bases were already in. I am curious to see one, where should I look, just any asteroid belt or do they show up as a location on the left console?

The only thing they have really done with regards to exploration is just have crazy stuff like the barnacles, hyperdiction, and other crazy event stuff.

They still never really make exploration profitable though, did they?

Exploration is pretty profitable now. Just did a quick 1.5k ly passenger mission worth 2.6 million, exploration data I turned in cashed out at 3.5 million (few ice world 1st discoveries).

Kyoufu

All it means is people working for that power may attempt to kill you. This does NOT mean the space cops will just start firing or the station will shoot you on sight, all you have to worry about are the people that have the pilot name as the name of that power'We faction. For instance Arissa Lavigny-Duval's is "Shield of Justice", Archon Delaine I think is "Kumo Crew Watch". They will all say which power they are with on their info. They will obey the same rules and will not attack you in the fire zone of a station.

However this also applies to players too, and for players, they can kill you if you are of an enemy power for merits. However that often isn't the most viable way to farm merits outside of a CZ or hailing power cargo. I can say in the past, I farmed to rating 5 with an FDL in an enemy system, in Open Play to kill people of enemy powers. I definitely killed a handful of players during that, but often said "Nothing personal, this is for the emperor." However I didn't even bother interdicting anything Python or more potentially putting up a fight. I wanted quantity, not quality because it was all that mattered.

If an AI of an enemy power tries to kill you, 99% of the time you can just run and get away. Even for a lot of players, if they don't have an Anaconda or something to keep you mass locked, you can generally bolt before you die. Also Anacondas aren't incredibly fast, when with A thrusters.

Would it be a problem in a HazRes with other players around?

Hylian7

I don't know what it is, but I am a goddamned failure at this game. But I love it and want to do better. Like most of my failed relationships.

What are you trying to do? We can probably offer advice. For the most part, at least to start out in your initial ship (likely whatever you upgrade to after your Sidewinder), you should build for a purpose and make money off of that. You have options like exploration, combat (bounty hunting, Combat Zone farming, etc.), trade, piracy, smuggling, ferrying passengers (kind of goes along with exploration).

Bottom line, you'll notice there's four categories you have ranks in: Combat, Trade, Exploration, and Arena. Arena is just the extra arena mode, so as far as the main game goes, don't worry about that. The others are the three general categories of what you can do, and having higher ranks in each gets you various stuff.

I personally am Deadly 22% in Combat. Deadly comes right before Elite, so hopefully I can reach Elite soon.

Manzoon

Banned
Can you link the build? I'll be able to afford it soon.

edit: oops, double post

https://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_l...72727000204040m03B25f5f2q69.Iw18aQ==.Aw18aQ==

This is close to what I have, the only major difference is some engineering on stuff and a military grade hull (which is another 40 some million). I don't quite remember if that grade power distributor is up to snuff, but it should be fine.

Mix and match whatever utility hard points you want, but that huge fixed beam laser should be more than sufficient for stripping the shields off of anything. The FdL is nimble enough to keep just about anything in its sights for those gimballed multi-cannons to do the rest.

I think you can use a shield cell if your heat isn't too high, but it's a close thing. I never bothered to do the math on whether I needed a heat sink launcher per shield cell bank or not.

This thing is expensive enough where you should definitely seek out the discount power play stations.

become a Space Uber and enjoy the sights

Dude. it isn't even happy with my trying to dock. I follow the instructions for dropping out of Hyperwhatever and it's like 'Nah man, you need to drop out of sublight at about... six inches from your target.'

I legit don't know what I'm doing wrong in the tutorial. It says drop out at sub 1K. I do so. Nope. You need to do it again commander.

What are you trying to do? We can probably offer advice. For the most part, at least to start out in your initial ship (likely whatever you upgrade to after your Sidewinder), you should build for a purpose and make money off of that. You have options like exploration, combat (bounty hunting, Combat Zone farming, etc.), trade, piracy, smuggling, ferrying passengers (kind of goes along with exploration).

Bottom line, you'll notice there's four categories you have ranks in: Combat, Trade, Exploration, and Arena. Arena is just the extra arena mode, so as far as the main game goes, don't worry about that. The others are the three general categories of what you can do, and having higher ranks in each gets you various stuff.

I personally am Deadly 22% in Combat. Deadly comes right before Elite, so hopefully I can reach Elite soon.

Legit I am just trying to survive the tutorial right now. I'll handle the rest later I hope.

darkwing

Dude. it isn't even happy with my trying to dock. I follow the instructions for dropping out of Hyperwhatever and it's like 'Nah man, you need to drop out of sublight at about... six inches from your target.'

I legit don't know what I'm doing wrong in the tutorial. It says drop out at sub 1K. I do so. Nope. You need to do it again commander.

just get a docking computer, it's only 2,500 i think

Hylian7

Legit I am just trying to survive the tutorial right now. I'll handle the rest later I hope.

Make sure to always keep moving when you can, you can boost past your target if you're using fixed weapons once you get close. I can't remember what all the tutorial makes you use, but it's a Sidewinder, I know that much.

As for docking, take it slow at first. I think it gives you 5-10 minutes, so you have time as long as you don't block other landing pads. Remember you always want to land facing the buildings. There are little buildings by each landing pad and you want to face those. In stations, the direction you want to face is straightforward, further in the station, but in the outposts it isn't really.

Get yourself lined up with the X axis when it displays your ship and the target. Then from there only adjust the horizontal and vertical thrusters to get yourelf in the right place, then just go straight down. Make sure you have the landing gear deployed when you do all this.

Also, I recommend turning pre-flight checks off. I think it leaves it on by default.

If I remember correctly, early game ships usually don't have the space for it since you will likely need other stuff more. Besides, you should learn how to dock regardless. I think a docking computer is a luxury for bigger ships like an Anaconda, and even then that's a "Well I don't know what else to put in that slot that won't use too much power" kind of thing.

I like that you can switch instantly between mothership and fighter, despite how unrealistic it is. I also didn't realize that your fighter getting shot down with the pilot in it doesn't mean death of the pilot or that the fighter is lost until you go buy a new one. It is unrealistic, but for gameplay it does make using fighters not suck.

I think the fighter pilots in Elite remain on board the ship and control the fighters remotely, which is why you get the behavior you describe. There's nothing unrealistic about it since you're not actually teleporting back and forth.

DrkSage

When you pick up some illegal cargo on your way to th docking station, cause you're a sucker for loot and the patrol officers start scanning your ship
ByakkxZCcAAfhGt.jpg

Moondrop

Banned

Hey I struggled with this training mission today too. Basically you have to slow the hypercruise as you approach, and then cancel it via sub-menu. I never saw the 1K message so I had to figure that out by trial-and-error.

Here's what else you have to look forward to just in training mission #2:

- Finding the slot in the space station where you can enter.
- Entering the slot and bouncing around for a while because you have nowhere to dock.
- Finally realizing you have nowhere to dock because you didn't ask for permission before flying up in there.
- Lining up your ship rotationally, have the landing gear deployed, and slowly downthrust onto the zone (I never successfully landed- I think my alignment may have been off).

And yet I still want to play more.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Weird bug here, tried to land on Stone Enterprise, got permission but someone was already at my spot. Flew out again, canceled, got a new number, another person sat on it.

It worked with the third try. Irritating.

Huh. AI or Player ships?

I've had this a couple of times as well.
AI ships it seems. (Imagine players would get blown away pretty quick.)

It actually happened on my first docking attempt ever in Open play.
... Suffice to say, the eventual outcome was the kind of thing that makes for great water cooler banter.

Hylian7

I think the fighter pilots in Elite remain on board the ship and control the fighters remotely, which is why you get the behavior you describe. There's nothing unrealistic about it since you're not actually teleporting back and forth.

But you can look down and see your body in the fighters...

Unless they just absolutely HAD to put a robot in the fighters, haha.

Again, it's unrealistic, but I don't mind it since it does fit the purposes of the game better. From a gameplay perspective, that would make fighters and hiring pilots completely useless and objectively detrimental.

Vorheez

I just bought this on PS4 and it's a little overwhelming to start lol. I'm hoping the gameplay loops become addicting after I gain some traction. I'm a huge space nerd

Tutorial. If I can't drop out into range in the goddamn tutorial with it's mysterious requirements I'm terrified of what the real game requires.

You line up with the little dot on the left hand of the radar. Look at the seconds until arrival. When you are around 8 seconds out (or maybe a bit more to be sure), put your throttle to around 75%. This will slow you down and give you plenty of time to approach. When you are in the sweet spot you will get a big message on your screen that it's safe to exit. The tutorial doesn't do a very good job of explaining the exact steps you need to take.

I really want to love this game, I think I like it better than EVE Online so far, but I have only been posting about how bad I am playing so far. If this game had auto-docking and landing features it would smoothen out my biggest frustrations. This is a flight sim lovers wet dream I guess so I can see why it is not an option.

I now have a 6 day bounty on my head for crashing while trying to dock at a the place I started from I wanted to go back because there seems to be some good missions and stuff to buy.

most of the time I've just been shot out of the sky and fined when I run out of time to land any way, so I often cancel the docking request and fly away to try again.

PS4 controller is not making my landings easier.

So I guess it is a given that I will crash during 3 out of 5 docking attempts, this is not good enough to continue playing because it would seriously suck when on a mission or in a ship you would rather not pay a re-buy cost on.

The easiest place for me to land is stations that have the landing pads on the outside surface so I can cancel my docking request and fly away before I get shot down

The second is docking inside a station with the landing pads beyond the tiny in/out slit, only did it once successfully so I am not sure it counts as easy.

Third and I have no clue why this is harder for me, docking on a planet's base
it takes too long for me to reach the surface sometimes so I wait until I get 3km close before I request docking. I am mostly having issues with my controller not responding to button presses there is a huge lag between the button press and the movement of my ship causing me to press too much in one direction or quickly tapping to reverse course, ending up hitting something that knocks me farther off target.

My experience so far with this game is just having that docked menu pop up when you lock in is a major victory. So I need help to get better at this.

A few things I need to know is how to align my ship with the landing pad.
I have been trying to land facing the floating pad number this feels safest since I don't think you can enter facing any other direction on the pad.

Is there a way to enter third person view while docking? I feel this would help me align my ship better with the landing pad since most of the time I am flying blind. I know there is a radar thing but I am not reading it correctly so I am searching for videos that feature it.

I remember entering 3rd person view while pressing button combos not sure which, I am just curious if this is a feature I could use for landing.

Also there is a button combo for ps4 to deploy and retract landing gear, I always mess up when having to use the right UI panel to do this. It takes longer and takes my view away from my task.

I am going to spend the next 5 hours trying the tutorial again and see if I can get the hang of it. Better that than getting fines and bounties. I am at 100,000K credits which is really nothing so I am going to clear my save again to start over without a bounty.

If I remember correctly, early game ships usually don't have the space for it since you will likely need other stuff more. Besides, you should learn how to dock regardless. I think a docking computer is a luxury for bigger ships like an Anaconda, and even then that's a "Well I don't know what else to put in that slot that won't use too much power" kind of thing.

what does a docking computer do?
Is this auto-pilot for landing? If not this would be a dream and a goal to reach Anaconda's pilot level, so the game really needs to have something like this.

I'd sacrifice a slot for a docking computer if I were you

really? for real is it auto pilot?

what does a docking computer do?
Is this auto-pilot for landing? If not this would be a dream and a goal to reach Anaconda's pilot level, so the game really needs to have something like this.

really? for real is it auto pilot?

Yes. Once you've asked for docking permission you lower the throttle to zero and the computer takes over and lands the ship.

Works very well for small ships. Seems to get confused sometimes when flying a Conda.

Yes. Once you've asked for docking permission you lower the throttle to zero and the computer takes over and lands the ship.

Works very well for small ships. Seems to get confused sometimes when flying a Conda.

OMG this is the best news ever. I am not going to delete my file if I can buy one of those.

Also may I ask if it crashes your Conda or just fickle?

OMG this is the best news ever. I am not going to delete my file if I can buy one of those.

Also may I ask if it crashes your Conda or just fickle?

No just occasionally it seems to duck under the toast rack.

So I keep an eye on it. I never go AFK when using the docking computer.

Though at the moment not using one.

No just occasionally it seems to duck under the toast rack.

So I keep an eye on it. I never go AFK when using the docking computer.

Though at the moment not using one.

okay thanks guys

currently outside a station that might sell this computer so I just need to successfully dock lol

I wish there was a way I could save outside the station and just pick up here if I crash and not at my last station

edit: fuck and crashed and now I have a second bounty. Clear File I'm starting over with the goal of reaching a station that sells this

okay thanks guys

currently outside a station that might sell this computer so I just need to successfully dock lol

I wish there was a way I could save outside the station and just pick up here if I crash and not at my last station
Just go slow. Line it up and if you don't line up properly back it up like a car and straighten out. Keep lowering yourself with the right stick. Also deploy your landing gear as soon as you're in. It'll slow you down. Definitely buy a docking computer at any station though if you can't figure it out. Just make sure not to put it in a good slot. Before I figured the slot rating system I was screwing myself over with modules.

Just go slow. Line it up and if you don't line up properly back it up like a car and straighten out. Keep lowering yourself with the right stick. Also deploy your landing gear as soon as you're in. It'll slow you down. Definitely buy a docking computer at any station though if you can't figure it out. Just make sure not to put it in a good slot. Before I figured the slot rating system I was screwing myself over with modules.

crap there is a slot rating system?

I've seen some slots allow more modules while others only allow fewer and lower ranked I guess I'll figure it out. going slow is good advice but I still crash and burn so many rails and towers to hit on the way in it is freaking sadistic

I wonder if there are gamers who could do this landing at full speed like you see in movies

Widge

You have to be going slow enough essentially.

One tip I picked up from a video was to watch the little speed arrow to the right of the radar. You'll get your actual speed as a solid line and a little arrow which (I believe) is what you want your speed to be.

Try accelerating and decelerating and you'll notice the arrow changes colour. Always try to keep it below the point where the arrow changes colour. Just point at your destination and cruise along at that speed and eventually the speed will manage down until you get to the "press button to drop out of supercruise" message comes up. I usually give it a wee bit of distance after that pops up to drop out. It'll go PANG and you'll drop out nice and close.

Eventually, you'll get accustomed to being able to control the speed by pushing beyond the arrow changing colour but still being able to slow down enough to drop out in range.

MY LIFE EDIT:

So I logged on to see what I made from a CG a few months ago. I'm not too far off an Asp Explorer. I'll jump back in to bridge that gap once I see what game revisions happen.

In the interim, I picked up No Man's Sky in the sale. I'll put it this way - absolutely nothing can touch Elite for its sense of navigating a galaxy, the sheer tangible nature of spaceflight. It is unparalleled. What I'm enjoying (so far) in NMS is that it is quite light to pootle around in. The ability to fart about on a planet is a really nice change of pace and the planets are so much more involving. Obviously this is really light first impressions and when I leave the planet, I do hanker for that nice weighty realness of Elite.

Tutorial. If I can't drop out into range in the goddamn tutorial with it's mysterious requirements I'm terrified of what the real game requires.

I just started last night too but I don't seem to be having this level of trouble - if you keep the throttle in the blue section, the time to destination seems to hover around 6 seconds. The throttle also decreases automatically as you approach if you keep it in the blue zone (from my experience). Then when you are within 1Mm (the distance switches to km), just press triangle to drop out and use the regular throttle to travel the last few km

darkwing

Are you planning on doing the longer missions? I've got 19,000 light years left on my 27,000 journey.

not yet, until I get my engineer ready

I once did a long sightseeing mission and had to call a fuel rat to save me lol

I've got a Dolphin and a Type-6 for the fleet though

whaaaat

I just got 50.000 CR without even taking off after restarting a fresh file o_O

found a mission asking to extract 2 units of water so I purchased 2 units of water from the commodities market and turned it in.

nice

Top Bottom