• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Person

I have a question to people who have visited Sagittarius A, where do i start? I have my self an Diamondback explorer and would like to start heading there but i have no idea how. Every far away place i try to make route there it's unavailable, do i need to keep constantly checking the galaxy map to update my route when i'm heading there or am i missing some jump range modifications?

just plot your course in the general direction of the core, that's what I did

keep it below 1000Ly cause thats the limit of how far it can plot

when you get really close to the core though dont plot longer than 180ly

frontieruk

Anyone see this vid on the Tobii EyeX eye-tracker? Obsidian seems to really like it. $100 with discount count in the vid description...considering checking it out. He makes it sound like a step above head-tracking, but not quite at VR, of course.

Thanks have ordered one.

I'm thinking about getting one despite the fact I do own a Oculus DK2 :D My brother in law does have one and he's bringing it for testing during easter. I'm really tempted.

That's really pretty awesome! I love my TrackIR5 but the one thing I like least about it is that I have to wear a hat with the tracking clip attached to it. This EyeX completely eliminates that.

It works with ETS2 as well.

That's damn tempting for $100.....

Just do it ;)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Thanks have ordered one.

Just do it ;)

Tell you what, when you get yours post your impressions here, and you just might be the thing that pushes me over the edge to get one too! I'm teetering right now, my TrackIR5 is great but this looks far better...

hepburn3d

Is that one of the Distant Worlds expedition? Double ouch.

I'm on a different route than they are, and I'm looking out for high-g worlds, but I'm also being very careful when landing on anything higher than about half a g, considering how far out I am.

Yea it was at waypoint 5. Unfortunately the ship on the ground took too much damage and has had to return to the bubble for repairs. That's going to be a 10k round trip so not sure if they'll continue.

I've had a mishap on a high G planet the first time I landed on one. I had no idea landing would be so different until I was accelerating towards it.

Burny

Looks awesome. Much prefer eye tracking to turning my head to simulate the camera turn.

Have you tried both?

I hope this is as awsome an alternative to the imo far overpriced TrackIR as it seems to be. Although - without that code from ObsidianAnt - it's not that much cheaper. Still, cheaper, wich is a good thing, seeing as I believe that the market for gaming head tracking devices has far too long been "owned" by NaturalPoint with their flimsy, 170€ plastic gear.

The one thing I can't see is how looking at a specific location on the screen is more convenient than turning your head. Having both the EDTRacker and TrackIR I won't try it, but slightly turning my head to look around has become second nature in Elite, to the point that I'm doing it even when I don't have a headset on.

No headset requirement for the Tobii EyeX is also awesome, but that wouldn't be a deciding advantage for me, as I'd have to use it at the desktop monitor, where I have one on anyway. Not that less cables there would be a disadvantage. ^^

Jedi2016

...slightly turning my head to look around has become second nature in Elite, to the point that I'm doing it even when I don't have a headset on.
This. It's completely automatic now, I have zero need to bother with anything else. Besides, it seems like it would very hard to "train".. just because I'm looking at something on-screen doesn't mean I want the camera to point that way.

DrBo42

Have you tried both?

I hope this is as awsome an alternative to the imo far overpriced TrackIR as it seems to be. Although - without that code from ObsidianAnt - it's not that much cheaper. Still, cheaper, wich is a good thing, seeing as I believe that the market for gaming head tracking devices has far too long been "owned" by NaturalPoint with their flimsy, 170€ plastic gear.

The one thing I can't see is how looking at a specific location on the screen is more convenient than turning your head. Having both the EDTRacker and TrackIR I won't try it, but slightly turning my head to look around has become second nature in Elite, to the point that I'm doing it even when I don't have a headset on.

No headset requirement for the Tobii EyeX is also awesome, but that wouldn't be a deciding advantage for me, as I'd have to use it at the desktop monitor, where I have one on anyway. Not that less cables there would be a disadvantage. ^^

I've tried trackIR (track clip pro broke years ago) in Arma mostly. The head turning is okay and you can absolutely get used to it but I wasn't a huge fan of crap attached to me or my headset. Eye tracking definitely seems neat but like Jedi says below there's the drawback of "just because I look at it doesn't mean I want the camera to turn". I'm sure there's an activation via keybind option to get around that. I think I'd prefer it but in any case I can't try it. Game runs at 20 fps on surfaces already on my crap laptop. Adding another process isn't going to help.

Mengy

Isinona stops from making videos on a regular basis :( That made me sad yesterday :(

Yeah I saw his vid yesterday, he didn't make regular vids to begin with but honestly his videos were always so much fun to watch, I wish he'd make more of them not less!

kvk1

If Isinona doesn't exist, I don't have hundreds of hours put in this game.

It's as simple as that, and I wager a lot of CMDRs share the sentiment.

His videos are amazing PR pieces for what this game can be, and a main reason why I picked it up in the first place.

Ugh, my X-55 has another issue. I already RMAed it once. Luckily, I think it's still under warranty. Last time it was the twist axis sticking and causing strange inputs. They replaced it with a new unit quickly, which worked well until now. Now when I twist right, any button press is interrupted and then registers as flickering. Oh why doesn't CH Products make a twist rudder stick? I'd be all over that if it existed.

Here's a little video demonstrating the issue. I hold a button then twist left, no issue, then right, you can see the held button starts to flash, though I never release the button:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv4Awgk0yRI

Jedi2016

I had that input/flickering problem on the throttle of my X52. Out of warranty, of course. They've got some flaky wiring somewhere. I can probably fix it, I just haven't opened the thing up to take a closer look.

Person

Ugh, my X-55 has another issue. I already RMAed it once. Luckily, I think it's still under warranty. Last time it was the twist axis sticking and causing strange inputs. They replaced it with a new unit quickly, which worked well until now. Now when I twist right, any button press is interrupted and then registers as flickering. Oh why doesn't CH Products make a twist rudder stick? I'd be all over that if it existed.

Here's a little video demonstrating the issue. I hold a button then twist left, no issue, then right, you can see the held button starts to flash, though I never release the button:

I just edited the deadzones, my x axis is fairly fucked, but it's still workable where a little force from my hand makes the smallest movements, so I'm glad the software is alright.

hU00b4F.png

the others are a bit loose too, but nowhere near as bad as my x

my left hat on the stick has lost it's click for the vertical directions, and so has my index finger button on the throttle which I use for boost, and I've only had it for 4 or 5 months

I could RMA it but I feel like I'd go through several X-55s

It's serviceable but unless one of the buttons stop working completely, I'll put up with it

Burny

If it weren't for your requirement of a z-axis, I'd say your next stick ought to be a CH Fighterstick or combat stick...

Since people are talking about stick problems, maybe someone can help with a problem I have had.

I have an old X360 Hori Flightstick (I think EX2) that came with Ace Combat 6 special edition. Not the best stick obviously and has quite a bit of wear and tear, but I can't really justify buying a new one at the moment.

However, for some reason only the actual stick part of the setup works right.
As soon as I connect the throttle part to the stick the settings go wonky and it won't calibrate right (the main stick gets stuck in the lower right hand position each time)

Is the throttle part of my setup just completely busted? Thinking about just using the stick with keyboard or something for throttle control but it's not the same...

Burny

Is the throttle part of my setup just completely busted? Thinking about just using the stick with keyboard or something for throttle control but it's not the same...

Does it act the same in the Windows calibration? If so, you may be out of luck.

Before you play with a borked joystick though, I'd recommend to get comfortable with mouse+keyboard. With some adjustment, it's far more efficient than you might think.

Does it act the same in the Windows calibration? If so, you may be out of luck.

Before you play with a borked joystick though, I'd recommend to get comfortable with mouse+keyboard. With some adjustment, it's far more efficient than you might think.

Yeah, it does that in the Windows calibration. If I disconnect the throttle from the actual stick, the calibration returns to normal and seems fine.

I have been playing with a x360 controller so far. It works a lot better than I expected, actually.

If it weren't for your requirement of a z-axis, I'd say your next stick ought to be a CH Fighterstick or combat stick...

Adding pedals to the mix is the one thing I'd really really like to avoid, out of comfort and convenience. There just isn't a high end option that includes the twist rudder right now. I get that the twist axis isn't something that exist in actual aircraft, so it makes sense that CH Products, a company that specializes in actual aircraft simulator sticks, pedals and throttles wouldn't include an axis that doesn't line up with reality. I think it would be great if the did though. Their durability and build quality seem to be unmatched. It's always one of the big customer questions when it comes to sticks, does this have the twist axis.

Burny

Adding pedals to the mix is the one thing I'd really really like to avoid, out of comfort and convenience. There just isn't a high end option that includes the twist rudder right now. I get that the twist axis isn't something that exist in actual aircraft, so it makes sense that CH Products, a company that specializes in actual aircraft simulator sticks, pedals and throttles wouldn't include an axis that doesn't line up with reality. I think it would be great if the did though. Their durability and build quality seem to be unmatched. It's always one of the big customer questions when it comes to sticks, does this have the twist axis.

I won't deny that it's a compromise, but using a set consisting of the CH Pro Throttle as well as one of their sticks, the mini stick on the throttle could be used to roll as well as for vertical thrust. That would free the joystick to use the X-axis as yaw and Y-Axis as pitch axis. In this case the yaw- and roll-axis on the mini stick could of course be switched, but I always favor yaw on the axis with more precision.

Mengy

I won't deny that it's a compromise, but using a set consisting of the CH Pro Throttle as well as one of their sticks, the mini stick on the throttle could be used to roll as well as for vertical thrust. That would free the joystick to use the X-axis as yaw and Y-Axis as pitch axis. In this case the yaw- and roll-axis on the mini stick could of course be switched, but I always favor yaw on the axis with more precision.

I use that mini stick on the CH Pro for thrusters, its fantastic for precise thruster control, makes planetary vertical landings a breeze.

I fought against buying pedals for many years but now that I have them I can't fly without them, I should have bought them years ago.
vv

Oh god, I'm going to end up with a whole set if they don't RMA my stick again. I'm very easily influenced when it comes to these things, dammit!

I had a Saitek Fly 9 and the twisting broke some day. There was no way to repair it. It just did screw up all the time. I turned it in (thankfully it was amazon) and bought a x52pro. I hope this does not break. If it does I do switch up to a 55 as well :D rinse repeat

It's sad the Saitek products do have those issues all the time.

TheGrue

I use that mini stick on the CH Pro for thrusters, its fantastic for precise thruster control, makes planetary vertical landings a breeze.

I fought against buying pedals for many years but now that I have them I can't fly without them, I should have bought them years ago.
vv

I just bought a full set of CH stuff (stick, throttle, pedal) and I set the throttle ministick to thrusters and it's pretty cool. I've never used pedals before and I need to figure out how to get good with them, because I am having some struggle. Hopefully I'll become better with some practice. My main problem is my legs will shift without me realizing it and suddenly I'm shooting off to the side.

Person

I just bought a full set of CH stuff (stick, throttle, pedal) and I set the throttle ministick to thrusters and it's pretty cool. I've never used pedals before and I need to figure out how to get good with them, because I am having some struggle. Hopefully I'll become better with some practice. My main problem is my legs will shift without me realizing it and suddenly I'm shooting off to the side.

Yaw's pretty slow in this game tho

Burny

Yaw's pretty slow in this game tho

Which is why you could fail to notice that you're doing it when you shift your legs on the pedals.

I would suggest configuring a small deadzone if the movements on the pedals causing the yawing are small enough and you don't notice that you're causing an input.

Person

Which is why you could fail to notice that you're doing it when you shift your legs on the pedals.

I would suggest configuring a small deadzone if the movements on the pedals causing the yawing are small enough and you don't notice that you're causing an input.

I think shooting to the left isn't exactly an apt description for it then, unless they meant lifterally shooting

you'd definitely notice the yaw while aiming, especially if you mainly used fixed weapons

Diancecht

This game looks cool as hell but can I play it comfortably with KB&M? I don't want to buy Hotas just for one game.

Also does it have enough content in it to keep me interested? I have never played a game like this before, just got interested in it because of the visuals to be honest.

~Cross~

This game looks cool as hell but can I play it comfortably with KB&M? I don't want to buy Hotas just for one game.

Also does it have enough content in it to keep me interested? I have never played a game like this before, just got interested in it because of the visuals to be honest.

Only issues I've had with KB+M is that roll being bound to mouse causes some jittery movement. Ive heard about people rebinding tole to AD and then having yaw set to mouse be better. I use a thrustmaster hotas x and I find the experience much better after using some custom bindings, but your mileage might vary.

Just bought a second hand Saitek X52 for 40€ and man...I'm really enjoying docking and flying my Addler!

I have to rebind some keys though...the landing gear, FSD and directional arrows are a little uncomfortable with the default x52 profile.

My advice is that if you don't want to buy a Hotas you can play very well with a x360 pad. I just have the base game and there's A LOT of content, you can be a trader, a bounty hunter etc...it's upt to you!

Diancecht

Just bought a second hand Saitek X52 for 40€ and man...I'm really enjoying docking and flying my Addler!

I have to rebind some keys though...the landing gear, FSD and directional arrows are a little uncomfortable with the default x52 profile.

My advice is that if you don't want to buy a Hotas you can play very well with a x360 pad. I just have the base game and there's A LOT of content, you can be a trader, a bounty hunter etc...it's upt to you!

I have a Xbox One controller but I rarely use it. Guess I should with this game, thanks.

Person

I think a lot of pirates and PvPers use KBM for accuracy, particularly with rails and PAs

Burny

I have a Xbox One controller but I rarely use it. Guess I should with this game, thanks.

It's playable with all three options - mouse+keyboard (as was said, rebind roll to the "A" and "D" keys and yaw to the mouse's x-axis!), 360 pad and HOTAS.

The most approachable is probably mouse+keyboard option.

Mengy

And since this is the wreck of the former president I guess this is not that strange for this anaconda to be there.

Well I just have to say that it's an awesome looking paint for the Conda. I have never owned one yet due to lack of funds, but I know so many explorers that really badly very strongly want more options when it comes to paints for the Anaconda. One of the most popular ships in the game also has the least number of paint jobs, that just seems odd to me. Frontier could make so much extra money by supplying a few more paint jobs.

Mengy

Have you guys seen this video of Vindicator Jones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDFrVgo03yM

It's about NPC chatter and he made a small "mockup" with text2speech only. Damn, the jump in immersion! I want this implemented. It does sound so much better than Freelancer already. They don't even need real voice acting for this imho

edit: he made another one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLNkTQLhMZE

Yeah, that is awesome. Something like that would add so incredibly much to the game's immersion and atmosphere.

I wonder if a mod could simply use text to speech software to intercept NPC messages in the chat window and speak them out loud? Even something like that would be great.

Top Bottom