• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

I've been 100% for days, nothing yet

Until you find, accept and complete a rank up mission, you'll stay 100%. They show up randomly so you'll just have to either luckily run across one or keep logging in and out every 10 minutes or so and hope one spawns.

The only good news is that your rank continues to grow even if it doesn't show.

I'm in the hip 17692 system trying to RES bounty hunt to help get rid of this lockdown. When I'm in solo play, none of the RES exist. If I log and go to open, they immediately appear. (And vanish again if I switch to solo)

What gives? I thought open and solo were supposed to be the exact same map. Is that not the case?

Didn't feel like winging up with randoms at the moment, or competing for bounties, so this is pretty disappointing. (On top of flying my space truck 300Ly to find the system locked down...)

Moondrop

Banned
Edit: I've been playing around with Arkku's HUD editor for hours, only to learn that the system can actually accept negative values and amplitudes greater than one. QQ There's an option for "extended range" at the bottom.

Yes, this lockdown is really disappointing. I was ready this morning, aka 12 hours ago, to go on a delivery marathon with my brand new ASP X and I think 82 cargo slots. I was ready to go to the 10% this time but nope, assholes gonna be assholes.

Frontier needs to ban these people for doing it, I read that Frontier has blocked UA bombing in a station while a com challenge is active, so finding out where a challenge will be and doing it right before the challenge appears, is still against the rules and what the developer tried to avoid happening and should be rightfully punished.

Kyoufu

This SRV mineral scanner shit is killing my desire to play this game tbh. What a boring grind. Spent like an hour on this planet and found one single node to scoop up.

Hylian7

This SRV mineral scanner shit is killing my desire to play this game tbh. What a boring grind. Spent like an hour on this planet and found one single node to scoop up.

You need to find mineral rich planets. Read the description on the system map before you land and it tells you whether the planet is likely to be mineral rich or not.

But yeah, I don't blame you, they really could make SRV mineral hunting less boring. While sometimes it's relaxing to do and it's fun, I can definitely see why most would find it boring.

I think a start would be more than one type of SRV...

Yes, this lockdown is really disappointing. I was ready this morning, aka 12 hours ago, to go on a delivery marathon with my brand new ASP X and I think 82 cargo slots. I was ready to go to the 10% this time but nope, assholes gonna be assholes.

Frontier needs to ban these people for doing it, I read that Frontier has blocked UA bombing in a station while a com challenge is active, so finding out where a challenge will be and doing it right before the challenge appears, is still against the rules and what the developer tried to avoid happening and should be rightfully punished.
Bans for doing something your game allows isn't a very good fix, assholes or not, people are playing the game they have in front of them.

Rather, if Frontier wanted to make sure CG systems don't start locked down, they could have them revert to their default state as soon as a CG is initialized.

Change the game, don't punish players for playing it in a way that wasn't expected.

Look up barnacle locations. Makes getting minerals a lot easier. There are some commanders out there that go around and list which ones are active or not. If the planet has your materials, the barnacles will as well.

I tried doing this with the SRV and quickly said forget that.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
While I appreciate them keeping something like that in lore, they should REALLY do something about people being able to grief it like that...lore is stupid if it completely ruins gameplay.

As frustrating as it probably is (I've not had it happen to me yet), I love that kind of 'emergent' behaviour in games. It's something unique to the medium, I think(?).

For every UA terrorist, you get a Fuel Rat, y'know?

Right, I am now in a position to start thinking about a new ship (currently a quite well equipped Ask Exp). I have ruled out the Fer-de-Lance simply because I am not in the market for what looks like a pure combat ship (at least not yet).

Now I could keep going towards an Anaconda (maybe enough credits after the weekend) but I feel it may be too early, as only had the game a week. So not sure my early days rankings warrants such a ship at this time. So now I am thinking about the Python as an stepping stone

So they seem to be the two choices I am left with at this time, just not sure if I should plug on for the Anaconda or go for the Python tonight.

Help

Depends on how many credits you have. You could afford a conda, but you'll need to upgrade it for it to be decent, it's like buying another one. A Python on the other hand is significantly cheaper and you'll be able to outfit it nicely.

Taker34

Banned
This game was great last week but now all my main fed stations are on lockdown currently. Disconnects regularly during FSDs and the the game kept lagging horribly as if framerate hit 10 fps (server connection issues). Lots of server timeouts. This all together killed any fun I had during the last couple of days... anyone else experiencing it on PS4 (EU)?

Manzoon

Banned
How do I go about procuring Meta-Alloys? Currently in Maia system.

Don't want to buy them.

That's what I had to do, you can find them on weird spires on planets, you can find a list of coordinates online for the spire locations, I had to go to a couple of different ones before finally finding some.

Hope you are familiar with latitude and longitude and using a compass.

*General Pepper voice* Good luck!

Edit:
I am now flying a Cobra MrkIII

but I can't seem to find MrkIV is this missing on PS4? I have the expansion

Cobra mkIV is only available to people who played in the first year I think. Sort of an early adopter reward. Don't worry about it though, it's more of a side grade compared to other ships.

This game was great last week but now all my main fed stations are on lockdown currently. Disconnects regularly during FSDs and the the game kept lagging horribly as if framerate hit 10 fps (server connection issues). Lots of server timeouts. This all together killed any fun I had during the last couple of days... anyone else experiencing it on PS4 (EU)?

There's a lot of Ps4 players out there, trying going solo for a while or move your ass far away from the usual "school" systems, like myself, helpin some space fascist in their internal war. at Aquila Station in Darfour.

Out there doing the Ram Tah's Guardian's site scan mission.

Pay's out 201 Million credits if you get all 101 scans

7D1C3193D1AF2BA1E9D61DD27BDE4B338DE5E094

MarionCB

There's really weird anomalies happening in the current CG system. Like space distortions, things becoming wavy and out of focus, or ships glitching, or blue swirly things appearing. Is this the alien presence affecting things or just game bugs?

It is very annoying, The thing is the Community Goal description itself actually says that Civil War and "UA bombing" may disrupt the goal. So Frontier seem to have accepted it as part of the game. I was a little surprised to see that as it makes the CG useless, but whatever.

There's really weird anomalies happening in the current CG system. Like space distortions, things becoming wavy and out of focus, or ships glitching, or blue swirly things appearing. Is this the alien presence affecting things or just game bugs?

It is very annoying, The thing is the Community Goal description itself actually says that Civil War and "UA bombing" may disrupt the goal. So Frontier seem to have accepted it as part of the game. I was a little surprised to see that as it makes the CG useless, but whatever.

Oh, that's interesting, didn't knew that.

Well, start selling meta-alloys to the station and it'll reverse the UA bombing.

It's not the first time i read that but how should i do that? The station is on lock down, i can't sell stuff there? :D
Bounty hunt in the system first, that is supposed to quicken the lockdown period, to return things to normal.

Not sure by how much, this is my first lockdown. And at least turning in bounties contributes to the other CG in the system.

Kyoufu

So I landed on a high metal planet, but now my inventory is almost full. What should I do with all this Iron, Sulphur etc? Throw them away?

Vorheez

Yeah I've notIced this as well, kinda freaky

Out there doing the Ram Tah's Guardian's site scan mission.

Pay's out 201 Million credits if you get all 101 scans

Help me decide if worth. Seems like a cool thing to do, and having some actual purpose in the game for a time is always a good thing, as direction is generally fleeting.

I don't really need the money so it would be almost exclusively for something to do. How has the experience been for you so far?

So I landed on a high metal planet, but now my inventory is almost full. What should I do with all this Iron, Sulphur etc? Throw them away?

You can generally keep any individual material in the 20-30 range. Any more than that is usually going to crowd out other needed materials. Low level mats (1, 2) usually get the lowest priority because they are easily found. Start dumping them if you start running low on storage space.

Note: As Manzoon mentioned, if you still need to level Engineers up, keep as many low level mats as you can. They are the best (least expensive) way to get Engineers up to level 3.

Manzoon

Banned

If you can, get to an engineer so you can grind out some recipes for rep. They use up those kinds of materials.

Help me decide if worth. Seems like a cool thing to do, and having some actual purpose in the game for a time is always a good thing, as direction is generally fleeting.

I don't really need the money so it would be almost exclusively for something to do. How has the experience been for you so far?

If you love driving the SRV around it's a blast.

There is a bit of tedium to it as you have to constantly switch out what artifacts you have in your SRV for the scans to work right. Without the guides and community work I'd be completely lost without a clue what to do.

You do get to see some beautiful sights though and if you are so inclined, lots of systems to scan on the way.

If you love driving the SRV around it's a blast.

There is a bit of tedium to it as you have to constantly switch out what artifacts you have in your SRV for the scans to work right. Without the guides and community work I'd be completely lost without a clue what to do.

You do get to see some beautiful sights though and if you are so inclined, lots of systems to scan on the way.

sounds like something to do. tyvm

Donos

Went to the first station the "story" told me to and got me the 10.000 credits. Didn't know what to do next so i went to freeport. Could not find the docking entrance fast enough (came from the wrong side and the spinning didn't help...) and the 8min counter run out just as i was almost touching down on the landing pad. TRESSPASSING. Lol. Had to bail there and got a fine. I already like that stupid game :)

Have to change the boost to something else. I accidentally boost when i want to get out of any menue...(hitting O two times)

Moondrop

Banned
Flew into my first white dwarf system; that was a roller coaster. Also did something blasphemous- I upgraded the FSD for 5000 credits on my loaned sidewinder. The increased jump distance has been a booster shot to my fledgling data broker career. Once I clear this real-time mission stack though I'm gonna try to hold off until my HOTAS arrives.

Been having some bad crashes on PS4 today. Had the game fail back to the system menu with an error code after docking. Resumed the game and it immediately failed again, tried again with the same results. Did a full restart and moved to solo and it's been ok since then.

I've given up my grind and started the long trip to the community event on the Pleiades. Got distracted by a system with a good RES adjacent to the starport. Not sure whether it's worth resuming my journey if griefers have locked the station down.

How are other PS4 HOTAS4 owners using the L3 thumb button on the flight stick? It seems to be unmapped by default. I'm using it for chaff, but I'm curious what else might work well.

akira28

i turn my headset up to 10 and listen for that beautiful sound, metallic meteorites...

and I drive like a maniac that needs to self heal the SRV while sailing a few kilometers over low grav surfaces.

edit: no Cobra Mk1V for Playstation? do they at least get the Viper Mk4? I could not live without my Vipe. I want my family to bury me in one.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I named my Viper the Shotgun Boogie for precisely this reason. Also because I've started on a theme: my courier/minibus Adder is the Wild Goose. Two points to whoever guesses what I'm going to call my mining ship once I've got it.

NO POINTS FOR ANYONE

ps_messages_20170707_bhq9k.jpg

Really like the shape of the Type-6, it gives me Nostromo vibes. Now, to the mines!

I did get the Date Link Scanner to scan the post about pressing X to lock on really helped

The Mark IV was a limited edition made exclusive to those who bought Horizons in the first month of release. It is no longer available to anyone who doesn't already have access to it.

AFAIK the Cobra Mk4 isn't available on PS4. It was an exclusive for PC players who bought the game in the early days.

you mean the other ship? Cobra MkIV?? not all stations have all ships.... try to buy an FDL you gotta search!

hint: just download an app or program like edfinder. https://eddb.io/

I have to check my PC version of this game, I know I purchased it but not sure when

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Doesn't help that they don't come under the restock bar and you have to go into advanced maintenance to grab 'em, unless there's something I'm missing.

Still, I got a bit of silver and lepidolite, so that's okay.

joecanada

1.5 million credits to transfer my FDL X___________x

if you can afford the FDL you can afford the tab ;)

also transfer costing both time and money is dumb af. "mah immersion". it's the number one reason I just roll in an Anaconda, never buying short jump range ships ever. just basically limits your options is all it does.

Hylian7

if you can afford the FDL you can afford the tab ;)

also transfer costing both time and money is dumb af. "mah immersion". it's the number one reason I just roll in an Anaconda, never buying short jump range ships ever. just basically limits your options is all it does.
Is distance factored into ship delivery times and costs? I have different ships for different purposes.

I plan on taking either the Anaconda or the AspX out near an engineer, and have the FDL delivered. I'm glad I could downgrade the FDL's FSD from A to D thanks to module storage and shop delivery. I'm sort of okay with ship delivery having a cost, but I do think the prices are steep. Granted in the guy you quoted's situation, you should be able to afford that if you are flying an FDL, but that is potentially 1/2-1/3 of an RES bounty hunting run. The time is pretty stupid though. I argued this before, but if we can have the "tele-link" fighters with a totally not-person flying them, then I see no reason not to have instant ship delivery.

Oh thank God. Took them long enough, I'm sure there is a vocal minority screaming about immersion somewhere.

If they stopped listening to the "mah immurshun" crowd we'd have some more fun/gameplay improvements in the game as well.

I'm surprised that wasn't a thing since Horizons. With all the other stuff you can synthesize limpets just make sense.

Now we just need to get them to realize it's stupid we can't synthesis heatsinks as well.

Top Bottom