• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Is distance factored into ship delivery times and costs? I have different ships for different purposes.
Yes, it is. There is a distance tariff noted on the cost breakdown when you are finalizing the transfer.

The Mark IV was a limited edition made exclusive to those who bought Horizons in the first month of release. It is no longer available to anyone who doesn't already have access to it.
I'm a bit surprised they didn't make this available for all purchases in the first month of the Xbox and PS4 releases. I mean, I'm still an early adopter on my chosen platform.

DrBo42

If they stopped listening to the "mah immurshun" crowd we'd have some more fun/gameplay improvements in the game as well.

Now we just need to get them to realize it's stupid we can't synthesis heatsinks as well.
Would be cool to make heatsinks. Especially for explorers. Not super useful outside of scooping and makeshift ecm since they needed silent running years ago. Wish they'd do something interesting with that again.

Cantaloup

Is CQC currently busted on PS4? I'm sitting in a TDM lobby with 7 other people and it's not starting the game.

Edit: Just as I posted this it started working.

Is CQC currently busted on PS4? I'm sitting in a TDM lobby with 7 other people and it's not starting the game.

Edit: Just as I posted this it started working.

CQC is just a mess in general. There are a lot of bugs with it and they kind of just left it to die. At least you PS4ers can get into games. On PC you have to play at certain times and even then you have to be lucky and it'll probably only be DM.

Kyoufu

CQC is just a mess in general. There are a lot of bugs with it and they kind of just left it to die. At least you PS4ers can get into games. On PC you have to play at certain times and even then you have to be lucky and it'll probably only be DM.

I couldn't get into a game on PS4 either. :/

I couldn't get into a game on PS4 either. :/

It just really irks me that they can't even fix the bugs for it. It's fine that they don't even bother giving it new content, however at least fix the fucking bugs and make it playable. I mean you can't even fix the bugs when these major updates come out? If they are going to ignore it, just get rid of it completely and stop wasting players' time.

Kyoufu

It just really irks me that they can't even fix the bugs for it. It's fine that they don't even bother giving it new content, however at least fix the fucking bugs and make it playable. I mean you can't even fix the bugs when these major updates come out? If they are going to complete ignore it, just get rid of it completely and stop wasting players' time.

CQC needs to be in the main game as some kind of community tournament or something with proper rewards like the community goals.

CQC, PowerPlay and Multi Crew need work, otherwise they're dead.

Mobius 1

Ended up stranded on route to some place due to poor calculation of fuel. Dying due to axfixiation in deep space with nothing but the void felt incredibly disturbing.

Hylian7

what happens if you die in your SRV? I think I fell into an huge cliff and can't get out
You go back to your ship, but lose the SRV. They are cheap so it is no biggie, but if it had cargo you lost that. Granted if I remember correctly, the SRV only holds like 2T.

Did you try recalling you ship and it couldn't land down where you were?

Hylian7

Ended up stranded on route to some place due to poor calculation of fuel. Dying due to axfixiation in deep space with nothing but the void felt incredibly disturbing.
I realize you are already dead, but that is a case in point situation to call the Fuel Rats!

darkwing

You go back to your ship, but lose the SRV. They are cheap so it is no biggie, but if it had cargo you lost that. Granted if I remember correctly, the SRV only holds like 2T.

Did you try recalling you ship and it couldn't land down where you were?

the ship couldn't reach me, alone in a desolate rock, pressing self destruct was surreal

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
*Satisfied sigh*

Got a Viper MkIII as suggested for my first combat upgrade. Boy howdy is she a beaut. Got my feet wet in a low RES and the Feds barely had time to raise an eyebrow. Loving it.

Had over 3mil in CH rewards so I spent about a third of that kitting her out. Saving the rest for insurance money haha.

This may still be small time stuff, but it all feels like progress. A major milestone. It's beautiful.

Manzoon

Banned
*Satisfied sigh*

Got a Viper MkIII as suggested for my first combat upgrade. Boy howdy is she a beaut. Got my feet wet in a low RES and the Feds barely had time to raise an eyebrow. Loving it.

Had over 3mil in CH rewards so I spent about a third of that kitting her out. Saving the rest for insurance money haha.

This may still be small time stuff, but it all feels like progress. A major milestone. It's beautiful.

My first ship purchase up from my sidewinder was a viper mkIII, and boy what an upgrade that is. Still have her, didn't have the heart to sell 'er.

Is distance factored into ship delivery times and costs? I have different ships for different purposes.

Shipping price is a function of (1) distance and (2) total value of the ship.

*Satisfied sigh*

Grats man. Viper will still be a good ship for you years from now. Take good care of it.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't make this available for all purchases in the first month of the Xbox and PS4 releases. I mean, I'm still an early adopter on my chosen platform.
Don't worry; you're not missing anything at all. About 5 people that have the ship actually use it. It's slow, meandering, and uninspired. Its speed is actually disrespectful to the Cobra name.

Can't get this vulture to work for me >:[

I guess I just really suck at combat. My whole plan was to save for a good combat ship though. Now I feel like I've lost my only real goal.

Juicy Bob

Finally got to play this properly and really getting into the swing of trading at the moment.

Making a goal of buying a Hauler, making a pilgrimage to Sol, earning enough for an Anaconda and then pledging my allegiances to the Alliance.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
My first ship purchase up from my sidewinder was a viper mkIII, and boy what an upgrade that is. Still have her, didn't have the heart to sell 'er.

Nice! I haven't sold any ships or modules yet, but come to think of it I don't much like the thought of having junk scattered at stations throughout the galaxy...

Can you sell stuff remotely? Or should I wait until I settle down somewhere and have it all transferred?

Grats man. Viper will still be a good ship for you years from now. Take good care of it.

Years you say!? I don't doubt it :) Thanks!

You can sell modules remotely from the stored modules section in outfitting.

I think you can rotely sell ships from the shipyard too.

I'm doing a lot of module juggling at the moment due to engineers. That 60 module limit comes up quickly.

I'm using Vipers to 'store' my "but what if I need it one day" modules like the powerplay guns and engineered minelayers.

ValeYard

Which weapons would you recommend on the Viper? I have the two default pulse cannons, a multichannel cannon and seekers. Think that might be a mess...

Which weapons would you recommend on the Viper? I have the two default pulse cannons, a multichannel cannon and seekers. Think that might be a mess...

That's the exact same setup I've been using up until about 10 minutes ago!

Just upgraded one of the pulse lasers to a gimbaled beam, so I'll see how that goes.

Not happy with how I've got my fire groups set up: got scanners on one, lasers and multi-cannon on another, and multi-cannon and missiles on a third. It's a pain switching from warrant scanner to lasers and then to another group when the shields drop.

Quick question for the experts:

While picking up resources after a fight I saw an object which was tagged something like 'dumbfire missile'. I didn't go after it, but I'm curious; if they miss their target can you scoop them? Guess you can't reuse them, but do they have any value?

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
WOOF.

Just launched from a station and had my ship start teleporting randomly inside the station until it suddenly exploded.

Think I'm gonna stick to solo if that's how game wants to boogie when lag is involved.

Well just bought this game. I did all the training tutorials, so far the game is pretty darn amazing. Controls were a bit ehh? To get used to haha.

StonedRider

Don't worry; you're not missing anything at all. About 5 people that have the ship actually use it. It's slow, meandering, and uninspired. Its speed is actually disrespectful to the Cobra name.

I found Cobra MK4 is pretty good as a small miner ship for those "mine 5 tons of lithium hydroxide" missions because of its internal modules quantity.

But not for anything else.

what happens if you die in your SRV? I think I fell into an huge cliff and can't get out

I would try to hoover out if I could or I would call my ship to see if it would land anywhere I can reach after all that, I would self-destruct and lose the SRV

you will be returned to your ship and the SRV will be gone and you have to buy a new one

This game has many ways to get stuck.

Does anyone have any tips for beginners who are just venturing into the unknown void like me?

I did all the training missions and completed the first quest in solo play.

Day one testing of mine launcher:

Using the Clipper, have a engineering two large pulse lasers (got a pair of 40% damage increases, whew) and a pair of medium mine launchers. Went out to test at a NAV beacon for some bounty hunting. First thing spotted was a Keelback with wanted status, was going away from me in a straight line so I figured this was my moment, so I boosted way ahead of him and pooped out 3 pairs of mines in it's path and watched the view he its 4 of them and looses his shields and down to 40% hull, nice. Turn and squeeze off some pulse shots to finish him off. Second a Sidewinder that was wanted, flying erratically so I used my lasers, those two managed to three shot him to dust, whew. Next spotted a Fed Dropship that was wanted, begin to engage and try to poop out mines to box him in and damage to avoid the large hard point, he takes a few on the nose and it drops his shields. Again mop up with the pulses. Now looking up for new targets and I gain a bounty for assault, some of my mines were just sitting around until some enforcer eagle runs over them and severely damages his ship. Now the fuzz show up and claim I'm the criminal, damnit. Make a run and find a signal source, see it is a level two weapons fire, good deal. Jump in and find a FDL and two wanted Vipers attacking an Adder. Fire off the pulses to get the attention of the FDL and skim sim while pooping more mines, he his tone and it damages his shields. Keep dropping mines and he hits more while I pepper with pulses, good kill. Now authority vessels drop in and decide I am criminal and I find myself starring down a police Anaconda and 3 vipers, decide to run...Then get another bounty for assault from my mines getting run over lol.

Mines are fun, but very messy.

Thanks, should I stick to solo or open?

what platform are you playing on?

You can try both. I only go into open when I want to refresh my mission board and grab a few there then back to solo

I never exited a station in open so I can't really say

solo is great for me while I learn so I won't mess up real players or run into trolls looking for newbies to mess with

hobozero

You can try both. I only go into open when I want to refresh my mission board and grab a few there then back to solo

solo is great for me while I learn so I won't mess up real players or run into trolls looking for newbies to mess with

There are also private PVE groups out there for people who want to encounter other players but not get ganked by a Corvette in the starting system. Moebius is the largest community. You can find out more and join here: https://elitepve.com/

Played open since I started with the PS4 release, never had a problem. It's fun, don't know why I should play this MMO in a solo mode, seems boring.
Sure people could attack you, but it's the thrill that this game needs in a wide open space world like this.

Hylian7

I guess I just really suck at combat. My whole plan was to save for a good combat ship though. Now I feel like I've lost my only real goal.
I highly recommend fixed weapons for it. It is extremely agile and you can usually keep lined up with your target. When I actually used my Vulture, I ran one Beam Laser and one Pulse Laser.

Yeah im on PS4 :). I dont want to get crushed by trolls looking to gank newbs.

Yeah im on PS4 :). I dont want to get crushed by trolls looking to gank newbs.
I've been playing a ton on ps4, in ships geared for combat, and some unarmed for trading. I've only been interdicted once by a player, and I shot him down. Not even sure why he chose me, I had no cargo, and my ship was better equipped. I've also only ever seen one "wanted" player, and it was a 400cr bounty, obviously from an accidental shot during some RES hunting.

Don't be afraid to play in open. Most people are law abiding. And the few that might not be? They spice things up.

But what are the main benefits and enhancements to playing in open versus single play?

To have the feeling that there are actual people that play the game and that you see sometimes and write sometimes in the chat and not to be completely alone in a 400 billion star wide MMO?

Manzoon

Banned

I went for a pair of small fixed beam lasers and two medium gimballed multi-cannons. I was using it primarily for RES bounty hunting, so missile launchers just didn't have the staying power before having to run back and reload. You are going to have to mess with power management groups too if you want to pull that set up off as well, it had no cargo containers and the hatch itself was turned off in combat, haha.

I never engineered it, but that might be fun now, I really want to get some of those enhanced thrusters and beef up the power plant to support it.

Day one testing of mine launcher:

Using the Clipper, have a engineering two large pulse lasers (got a pair of 40% damage increases, whew) and a pair of medium mine launchers. Went out to test at a NAV beacon for some bounty hunting. First thing spotted was a Keelback with wanted status, was going away from me in a straight line so I figured this was my moment, so I boosted way ahead of him and pooped out 3 pairs of mines in it's path and watched the view he its 4 of them and looses his shields and down to 40% hull, nice. Turn and squeeze off some pulse shots to finish him off. Second a Sidewinder that was wanted, flying erratically so I used my lasers, those two managed to three shot him to dust, whew. Next spotted a Fed Dropship that was wanted, begin to engage and try to poop out mines to box him in and damage to avoid the large hard point, he takes a few on the nose and it drops his shields. Again mop up with the pulses. Now looking up for new targets and I gain a bounty for assault, some of my mines were just sitting around until some enforcer eagle runs over them and severely damages his ship. Now the fuzz show up and claim I'm the criminal, damnit. Make a run and find a signal source, see it is a level two weapons fire, good deal. Jump in and find a FDL and two wanted Vipers attacking an Adder. Fire off the pulses to get the attention of the FDL and skim sim while pooping more mines, he his tone and it damages his shields. Keep dropping mines and he hits more while I pepper with pulses, good kill. Now authority vessels drop in and decide I am criminal and I find myself starring down a police Anaconda and 3 vipers, decide to run...Then get another bounty for assault from my mines getting run over lol.

Mines are fun, but very messy.
Yea mines are really a PvP weapon. Also nice on trade ships to shut down chases from NPCs.

Come back next week and let us know how it's going. Combat requires technique which requires time, practice and a good understanding of combat in the game.

Also, try 2x burst lasers and keep your engagements inside of 1000m. ;)

Peroroncino

Are there any confirmed plans on tweaking the engineers material grind?

I'm currently in the process of unlocking all of them but I'm not sure if I want to bother leveling them up to 5 since some of those materials are so pretty fuckin' rare it's crazy.

Kyoufu

Are there any confirmed plans on tweaking the engineers material grind?

I'm currently in the process of unlocking all of them but I'm not sure if I want to bother leveling them up to 5 since some of those materials are so pretty fuckin' rare it's crazy.

It's better to level them with grade 1 upgrades and exploration/trade data etc.

Top Bottom