• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

abbyabs

I'm having trouble plotting routes between 10 - 15 light years away, they all fail.

I'm using the default Sidewinder, are those distances beyond it's capabilities?

Every route is saying plot failed.

When selecting the routes tick fasest route, if that fails upgrade your FSD drive.

So is ranking up just broken? It seems nobody knows how to do it...

What kind of ranking, superpower?

Help the economy by trading at a superpower station. Or carry out missions and passenger trips for superpower allied groups.

Eventually when you max out a rank you'll begin to be offered missions that will promote you.

Volimar

Dear Frontier,

Why.

K6agYh4.png

I'm glad you put in ship transfer, but why must you insist on making it as cumbersome as possible? I was expecting maybe a 20 minute wait for 210 LY, but nope, 40 minutes.

I think it should be either pay a fee or wait for a while, not both.

Love,

HylianSeven

At the time a lot of us thought they should use a slider. Pay more for the transfer taking less time, pay less for the transfer taking more time. The Immersion junkies really ruin a lot of QOL parts of the game.

vector824

At the time a lot of us thought they should use a slider. Pay more for the transfer taking less time, pay less for the transfer taking more time. The Immersion junkies really ruin a lot of QOL parts of the game.

I HATE, HATE ship transfer in it's current state. It makes no sense. If I self destruct I am IMMEDIATELY transported back to the last station I was docked in with the exact same ship no matter the distance. But if I want my ship NOW "noooooo can't do that because it's not realistic!" Give me a break.

Hylian7

I HATE, HATE ship transfer in it's current state. It makes no sense. If I self destruct I am IMMEDIATELY transported back to the last station I was docked in with the exact same ship no matter the distance. But if I want my ship NOW "noooooo can't do that because it's not realistic!" Give me a break.

What amazes me is that before ship transfer was added, there was a poll for if people wanted ship transfer with a wait time or no wait time. Somehow wait time won out, or FD overruled it for some asinine reason.

It's really shitty because the alternative is to do something tedious, monotonous, and lengthy. I still opt for just transfer and go play a round of PUBG or Dota to pass the time.

Transfer should either have the fee or wait time, not both.

Freeman76

Another 2 hour session with nothing accomplished. I want to like this game but it seems like everything is against that happening. I just aint getting anywhere apart from taking data from one place to another, its the only thing simple enough to actually accomplish :(

vector824

What amazes me is that before ship transfer was added, there was a poll for if people wanted ship transfer with a wait time or no wait time. Somehow wait time won out, or FD overruled it for some asinine reason.

It's really shitty because the alternative is to do something tedious, monotonous, and lengthy. I still opt for just transfer and go play a round of PUBG or Dota to pass the time.

Transfer should either have the fee or wait time, not both.

I participated in that poll myself and I couldn't believe the outcome. Wait AND pay won out. Crazy.

I travelled 300LY in my vulture to work on the community goal this week in HIP 17682, and man, what a mistake. I burned through a million in credits when I got stranded without fuel twice (there are way fewer stations then there are in my home system). I made it to black rock orbital and tried working on the CG but accidentally shot a federal ship and got smoked. Then, desperate to make enough cash to cover a couple more rebuys, I started hauling passengers, only to jump to another system that was 14LY from all other systems while I was low on fuel. No bases to refuel and a non-scoop able star. Ugg I wish I had just ignored the damn CG altogether.
That's a feature. Honestly this should be on the back of the box.

I love the game but FD simply have no respect for your time spent in the game. So many shitty time wasters and unnecessary grinding in the game for the sake of "immushion". The quality of life in the game needs a total overhaul. I hope 2.4 and subsequent updates fix some of these issues.

Patrick S.

Banned
I've only played a few hours of this, and I was wondering; most of the missions I can do right now are of the "bring 2 units of metal X for 80k credits"-variety. My ship has a mining laser. What's the best way to find metal X if the mission doesn't tell you where to get it? Landing on a planet makes no sense for me, right? I have the Horizons expansion, but my starter ship has no planet buggy. So I guess I must fly to systems that have some kind of asteroid belt, and somehow hope that if I fire my mining laser at a random rock, I might come across exactly the metal I'm looking for?

I've only played a few hours of this, and I was wondering; most of the missions I can do right now are of the "bring 2 units of metal X for 80k credits". My ship has a mining laser. What's the best way to find metal X if the mission doesn't tell you where to get it? Landing on a planet makes no sense for me, right? I have the Horizons expansion, but my starter ship has no planet buggy. So I guess I must fly to systems that have some kind of asteroid belt, and somehow hope that if I fire my mining laser at a random rock, I might come across exactly the metal I'm looking for?
You can buy prospector drones that will tell you about am asteroid. Also drones that pick up whatever you mine. They take up cargo space though

Patrick S.

Banned
You can buy prospector drones that will tell you about am asteroid. Also drones that pick up whatever you mine. They take up cargo space though

Oh, sounds good. Are those prospector drones single use or do I have to buy several of them? Do I just fly into an asteroid belt, point the drone at a random rock and tell it to scan it? What if I lose sight of the scanned asteroid, will it be somehow marked?

Codiox

What kind of ranking, superpower?

Help the economy by trading at a superpower station. Or carry out missions and passenger trips for superpower allied groups.

Eventually when you max out a rank you'll begin to be offered missions that will promote you.

I maxed out the federation rank days ago, but nothing appears

vector824

I maxed out the federation rank days ago, but nothing appears

When looking at missions in the mission board one of them (if given by a federation minor faction) will say "Federal Navy Mission" or something to that effect (you have to click on the mission and read the description). If you feel like you can't accomplish that take another mission, go to another station, or log in and out of open/solo/private until one cycles that you like.

Cantaloup

Oh, sounds good. Are those prospector drones single use or do I have to buy several of them? Do I just fly into an asteroid belt, point the drone at a random rock and tell it to scan it? What if I lose sight of the scanned asteroid, will it be somehow marked?

They are single use, so one is consumed each time you launch one. You buy them at a station and they go in your cargo hold. When you launch them they fly in a straight line out from the front of your ship. Once it makes contact with an asteroid it stays attached and gives you updates and info while you have the drone targeted. The drone is lost if you go out of range or launch more than your equipped controller can support.

eagledare

Update on Irresponsible Captain Eagledare: Managed to slog my way through a couple long-ass passenger delivery missions. After the second one I tried returning to black rock orbital to pay off my bounty and got scanned when landing, which of course made my dormant bounty active again and caused the federales to lose their shit. So now I can't work on the CG without sneaking into black rock.

Challenge accepted, motherfuckers.

GeeTeeCee

I accidentally flew too close to a star coming out of a hyperdrive jump - taking a small amount of damage to my ship - and then when I jumped out of the system ASAP the very next system on my route dumped me out in front of a White Dwarf star. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I'm still only a few hours in, shuttling meagre amounts of cargo for small amounts of credits in my trusty Sidewinder, but I'm loving the game so far.

Patrick S.

Banned
They are single use, so one is consumed each time you launch one. You buy them at a station and they go in your cargo hold. When you launch them they fly in a straight line out from the front of your ship. Once it makes contact with an asteroid it stays attached and gives you updates and info while you have the drone targeted. The drone is lost if you go out of range or launch more than your equipped controller can support.

Thank you, Sir! Much appreciated!

I took a bit of a trek to the CG in the Pleiades. Took about 30 jumps in my Viper. Scoped the route a bit before leaving and figured I should probably take a fuel scoop, just as well I did! So many unpopulated systems!

Got into a routine when jumping: throttle down to zero when in hyperspace to avoid piling into the star. Scan the star, scan for other objects, top up fuel, cruise to each close unexplored object in turn, scan them all, jump.

I had no idea how lucrative exploring could be: I'm not really set up for it, but the payout when I got to Blackrock Orbital was over 1.5 million. Might head back out there once the CG is over.

Question on the CG missions: I sold the power generators I lugged all that way, and killed some bad guys in the RES. I can't tell if I'm actually contributing or not (however minuscule that may be). I can see the overall CG tier, but how do you see if you're helping or not?

vector824

Question on the CG missions: I sold the power generators I lugged all that way, and killed some bad guys in the RES. I can't tell if I'm actually contributing or not (however minuscule that may be). I can see the overall CG tier, but how do you see if you're helping or not?

Make sure you sign up at the mission board in the station. Then all you do is turn in bounties under the contacts menu, or deliver good to the commodities page. Once you turn in a bounty or sell a commodity you'll hit the minimum tier. Here are some screenshots from an old CG I took.

Edit: Fixed the image hosting

vector824

^ Did they nerf CGs or something, vector? Tier 8 is the highest I've seen it go.

That's on old CG, so it just depends on the goal itself. I think they extended this one because of an issue they had with the instance spawning so it went up a few tiers.

Make sure you sign up at the mission board in the station. Then all you do is turn in bounties under the contacts menu, or deliver good to the commodities page. Once you turn in a bounty or sell a commodity you'll hit the minimum tier. Here are some screenshots from an old CG I took.

goddamn ya'll gettin PAID.

*old man hat*

back in my day, it took literally a month of 5 hours/day playing to make $25 million credits.

*shakes fist*

Dumb question: Materials that are only obtained from ship wreckage, does that include ships you destroy in an RES?

It really depends on the material in question, unfortunately.

Some mats come from combat ships ONLY and are best farmed in CZs.

Some mats come from large cargo ships like Keelbacks, T7's and T9's ONLY and are best found in USS's, Compromised Nav Beacons and Convoy Beacons.

A less efficient mix of those mats can be found by killing big ships (Condas, basically...but maybe FDL's and Gunships too) at RES sites.

Thanks. I accepted the CG mission before I arrived and have turned in bounties as normal and sold the requested items on the commodities board. Can't check the mission locally as I'm getting the old 'unable to get an up to date mission list from server' error again.

Had a look at the screenshots you linked. Informative but ad-tastic! New tabs galore on mobile. Apparently I've won a new Samsung phone, a PS4 and more! Woo-hoo!

Update on Irresponsible Captain Eagledare: Managed to slog my way through a couple long-ass passenger delivery missions. After the second one I tried returning to black rock orbital to pay off my bounty and got scanned when landing, which of course made my dormant bounty active again and caused the federales to lose their shit. So now I can't work on the CG without sneaking into black rock.

Challenge accepted, motherfuckers.

Silent Running is your best friend. Back on release, I madfe shitloads of credits shuttling slaves around, and I was powersliding into docking bays with silent running on to avoid attention. Good times.

Hylian7

It really depends on the material in question, unfortunately.

Some mats come from combat ships ONLY and are best farmed in CZs.

Some mats come from large cargo ships like Keelbacks, T7's and T9's ONLY and are best found in USS's, Compromised Nav Beacons and Convoy Beacons.

A less efficient mix of those mats can be found by killing big ships (Condas, basically...but maybe FDL's and Gunships too) at RES sites.

I guess I need to find a more updated table that tells which comes from where, but good lord I see the hate for Engineers now.

Looks like I might be seeking out a compromised nav beacon or a convoy beacon.

vector824

Thanks. I accepted the CG mission before I arrived and have turned in bounties as normal and sold the requested items on the commodities board. Can't check the mission locally as I'm getting the old 'unable to get an up to date mission list from server' error again.

Had a look at the screenshots you linked. Informative but ad-tastic! New tabs galore on mobile. Apparently I've won a new Samsung phone, a PS4 and more! Woo-hoo!

Yeah sorry. Need to find a new hosting site. Please don't click on them!

Edit: Fixed

DrkSage

So powerplay... how does that work? Who should i pledge to? The lonely alliance? Become an imperial dog? Or be a federation corporate shill?

Kyoufu

I am not sure why I can't seem to find any info on ALLIANCE ships or ranking
I checked wikia but can't seem to find info

why is this a mystery?

There are no Alliance ships yet. In Elite lore, Alliance are reverse-engineering Thargoid vessels, so I imagine they'd add pilotable Thargoid ships that need Alliance ranks at some point.

DrBo42

I am not sure why I can't seem to find any info on ALLIANCE ships or ranking
I checked wikia but can't seem to find info

why is this a mystery?

There are no Alliance ships yet. In Elite lore, Alliance are reverse-engineering Thargoid vessels, so I imagine they'd add pilotable Thargoid ships that need Alliance ranks at some point.

Yeah, none yet. There have been some hints or just teasing bits from Braben about them coming in the future. I'd imagine a Thargoid war is when the Alliance would show up with something. Or maybe they take the opportunity while the Federation and Empire and dealing with it to try and seize systems.

Hylian7

Good lord there's too much RNG in Engineers. I'm trying to get some fucking Electrochemical Arrays, and according to this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...=drive_web&usp=sheets_home&ths=true&sle=true#

They are MORE common than the other thing I needed (which I got), Conductive Polymers. I have killed many transport ships and checked many shipwrecks and have yet to get one. I understand Frontier doesn't want everyone to go for the same Engineered modules, but can we at least get some consistency here?

I would honestly be okay with a consistent way to find the materials (even if said method involves something like having to beat a wing of Elite Anacondas), as long as it was consistent, and keep the random rolling. Either that, or drop the random rolling and keep finding the materials the way it is.

Everything else in the game before Engineers NEVER suffered from any of the problems Engineers has, and that's quite telling. Exploration, trade, bounty hunting, combat zone farming, powerplay, all had their own issues, but the thing all of them had in common was consistency. You could always do these things, and sure, some methods took longer than others, but you knew what to expect and weren't running on a wild goose chase for hours only to have it give you a giant middle finger when you get back to the station.

Frontier has clearly made some fixes to Engineers since it launched, but they ain't done, and if they think they are they shouldn't be. Changes like the materials only going in the "Materials" inventory and not cargo was good. At least adding a ship delivery system (even if is also riddled with issues), was good. The frustrating thing is that a lot of what they would need to do to fix it would not be incredibly hard to implement.

On another note, I really wish you could buy Collector Limpets without a cargo rack for collecting materials. Trying to scoop loot with the Fer-De-Lance can be quite a difficult task especially for these tiny materials.

Also I figure I'll ask a dumb question: Does a manifest scanner tell you what materials a ship will drop when it's destroyed?

Top Bottom